PDA

View Full Version : Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-09-2018, 09:59 AM
What would you recommend as an entry level rifle (deer/bear) for a beginner hunter? Any thoughts appreciated.... Is the below $1K range do-able?

RyoTHC
11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Yes. Winchester xpr in 6.5 creedmoor would do you wonders. I have a buddy that shoots that fun and gets half moa groups with hand loads from a $600 gun.. throw a vortex diamondback tactical on there and the whole setup will cost you $1000 give or take.

Jelvis
11-09-2018, 10:20 AM
.308 is all you need for deer and bears, light recoil and easy to load and unload --->
Winchester would be good --
Jelly -- .308 for bear and deer --

Fella
11-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Pick a caliber from .243 on up and find it in a Weatherby Vanguard, Husqvarna, Tikka, Browning, Howa etc. Spend money on a scope, don’t cheap out there.

Rieber
11-09-2018, 10:57 AM
What would you recommend as an entry level rifle (deer/bear) for a beginner hunter? Any thoughts appreciated.... Is the below $1K range do-able?

$1K can get you a really good hunting rifle/scope combo - no problem. You can also get a very usable/hunt appropriate combo from Cabalas on sale for $400 - as do other outlets like the fine Sponsors and supporters of this website. Depending on your location - try visiting on of the sponsoring shops, yell them you are from this site and tell them what you want and they will help you out with defining the right set up for your size and preference and budget.

You can read all you can absorb here on this site and if you know exactly what you want, you can look for some of the great deals that get posted here. If you're absolutely green and know very little about what to look out for on used firearms, then I would highly recommend to buy new unless you can trust someone to help you.

Overall beginner rifles - there is a lot to chose from but I have no idea if you've fired a rifle or how recoil tolerant you are. Practice is important and a decent bolt action 22LR will help you develop the handling skills and practice you apply to a centerfire rifle. The 22Lr is great because they have no real recoil to speak of and they are inexpensive to shoot a great many rounds. Plus is a great rifle for small game.

Regarding a light recoil deer/bear class rifle - I would recommend to stay away from the extreme ends of that class so I would say most popular calibrers between a .243 and a 30-06. Personally I would focus on 7-08, .270 and .308. Maybe even a 6.5 Creedmoor (I have one and like it) 30-06 is very good but that up in the felt recoil range and you really don't have to start with something that hard on the shoulder.

If you really are a beginner and don't know much about what you really want - buy a new entry level rifle from one of our sponsors and if you find you don't like the rifle, you can re-sell that rifle for very little loss in cash (provided you don't abuse the rifle) or the shop that you bought it from will likely accept it back on trade for something else but expect to lose some on that exchange because the shop obviously needs to make money at what they do.

Someone might offer alternate advice and there is no hard rule to any of this - but it sure can get expensive in a hurry. :-D

mike_69
11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
If you like Savage Cabella''s has the Savage Axis XP w/scope for 479.99, and the Axis II XP w/scope for 599.99 which are both are decent rifle's. The included scope and rings arn't the best but they will definitely get you started. You could also step up to the Savage 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP w/scope for 939.99. Again the included scope and rings are generally on the cheaper side but will get you started and can always be upgraded at a later date. I have the Trophy hunter in .300 win mag and have no real complaints other than the mag needs to be inserted fairly aggressively in order to seat it. I have a friend who owns the XP in .30-06 with an upgraded Vortex scope and it is also a good shooter. I have read that the synthetic stock is a bit too flexible for a by-pod but I don't use one so I can't confirm that claim.

BCBRAD
11-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Lots of good used out there.

Most of the hunting rifles are low round count as well.

Salty
11-09-2018, 11:11 AM
$1k for just the rifle or rifle and scope?

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-09-2018, 11:20 AM
$1k for just the rifle or rifle and scope?
Ideally: Both.... But if that is not feasible/recommendable then I settle for "rifle now and save up for scope"

11-09-2018, 11:21 AM
A hunting rifle be it your first or another to add to the pile should be a long time investment in my opinion.

Going cheap..... Gets ya a cheap firearm. Going cheap on a scope is worse and a long awaited hunt might just be ruined by buying cheap junk.

personally, if your not on Canadiangunnutz you should be. Or find a close friend that is. There are many good dealers and reliable dependable sellers. You need to deal through them. Examine their trader ratting.

Dont by new junk that your just going to upgrade down the road because of gun or scope issues . A gun needs to be reliable, dependable, safe, easy to use etc.

Realistically you can get a Model 70 Win , or a Ruger M77, Rem 700, Browning, Marlin etc etc on CGN for half the price and be able to count on it. Sure any gun can have issues...... But, you do get what you pay for . I'd stay away from the entry cheap guns and scopes. Do yourself right and add more bang for your Bucks.

Just my opinion.

joshbazz
11-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Rookie here: I was in the same boat, I decided on a ruger american 30-06, and a vortex viper scope on sale, came to just over $1k with taxes. I wanted a do-it-all hunting gun for BC. My buds hunt with Tikkas and I have similar weight, and a fantastic trigger, and comparable accuracy (for hunting), they spent around 2k.

If I were to dot again, and the scope wasn't on sale, I'd get the ruger american in.308 with a vortex crossfire 2 scope, under $1k taxes in.

Other option I would consider is getting a mossberg predator with vortex scope package in 308 or 6.5 creedmore and put 300-400 on better binos (vortex - amazing warranty), and still be under $1k. Don't underestimate the value of good (for this budget) glass. My cheap binos fog up nasty, almost unusable this time of year.

ryanonthevedder
11-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Model 70 Winchester or Tikka T3x, both in stainless is what I would recommend. Just bought new in August and those were the front runners. It really came down to which gun fit me the best, but I then splashed out a little extra on the walnut stock. Optics are most important though, and I saddled my old BSA with a nice Leupold for a few years before I went for the new gun.

BornNRazed
11-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Weatherby vangaurd 7mm rem mag, a few years in when you decide you had your fill of deer and want a moose or elk then You can bump up the bullet from a 140 to a 160 instead of wanting to look for the bigger gun your gonna want to grow into eventually. Shoot it lots get over the recoil.

Alsowhen you get more proficient in your rifle skills you can put a timney trigger in for under 200 and shoot dime size groups

Yuritau
11-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Yes. Winchester xpr in 6.5 creedmoor would do you wonders. I have a buddy that shoots that fun and gets half moa groups with hand loads from a $600 gun.. throw a vortex diamondback tactical on there and the whole setup will cost you $1000 give or take.

He's talking about me, hehe.

Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - around $600. There was a $100 rebate at the time, so really $500.
Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 scope - around $550. There's cheaper options in the Diamondback family, to cut costs, but I wouldn't go down to crossfire. The Diamondback glass is much nicer.
Talley rings - around $50.

Result, during load development for a varmint/coyote load: https://tinyurl.com/yd2er68l (target image in my google drive)

I don't complain about my setup.

miner_luke
11-09-2018, 01:30 PM
He's talking about me, hehe.

Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - around $600. There was a $100 rebate at the time, so really $500.
Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 scope - around $550. There's cheaper options in the Diamondback family, to cut costs, but I wouldn't go down to crossfire. The Diamondback glass is much nicer.
Talley rings - around $50.

Result, during load development for a varmint/coyote load: https://tinyurl.com/yd2er68l (target image in my google drive)

I don't complain about my setup.

Nice shooting! I wouldn't complain about that either.

Fella
11-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Avoid savages especially the axis series. Vortex Diamondback is ok, viper is better, Leupold is even better.

Darksith
11-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Don't go with too light of a caliber. I wouldn't try to shoot a big black bear with a .243, but you shouldn't go buy a .338 for a first gun either.

Getting something that you can shoot and practice with, getting the right technique down and some muscle memory without developing a flinch is key. Its funny, I go to the range with some guys, they are all over the place, I ask to shoot their gun and I drive tacks with it. Its all about technique, theres more to it than just pulling the trigger. So cheap easy to find ammo, not a huge amount of kick, and big enough to smack a big bear...

.270, .308, 6.5 creedmore. Something around that, shoot a 140-160g bullet.

BRrooster
11-09-2018, 03:34 PM
As said, the 243 is a great "little" rifle , but maybe a little lite for Bear. I would say minimum 308 or 708. My choice for an all round rifle would be in the 06 class.
270 280 and 30-06 are what I am talking about. They all are based on the 30-06 cartridge case. The 270 was Jack OConnor, the famous Outdoor Life writers
choice . Took every game animal in North America and a good many African game animals with it.
One thing to think about is when you are on a hunting trip to someplace out in the boonies , every small general store and hardware store, usually has standard
caliber cartridges for sale. Don't know if Marshalls in Mackenzie has 6.5 Creedmore ammo or not.

Salty
11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Ideally: Both.... But if that is not feasible/recommendable then I settle for "rifle now and save up for scope"

Totally doable. Like anything its always nice to pay a little more for different features and quality for the long run but you're just starting out and arguably best not to swing for the fence right from the get go ;)

So. I've got quite a few rifles. I used to have quite a few rifles but I'm down to a half dozen or so centre fire rifles. They range in value from 300 to 3000 but for some reason the last couple years I usually pack my Ruger American compact stainless in 308 :confused: I bought the stupid thing on a whim I was just intrigued by accuracy and reliability reports and picked one up on sale. Its mainly plastic, has a plastic on plastic magazine catch. OK polymer but whatever. As you see I don't have much love for it but it shoots very well after a little tinkering. Its crazy light and handy. I think that's what does it right there actually. So there's a way to go they also make them full sized instead of compact same price, what are they now ~ 6-700? Less if you don't need stainless. Throw a Vortex crossfire or a similarly priced Nikon on there with decent steel rings and bases and Bob's your uncle. You'll have a dependable rifle with a decent scope that will hold zero and have a nice bright image for around a G note.

Some other ones I would consider would be a Savage model 11 or 111 (not Axis but that's just me). Howa or Vanguard, but they're a little on the heavy side. And as mentioned the best deals would be used and you'd move up a notch in quality for your budget. That might be a bit much to wade through a used choice if you're just starting out but you can always post up questions here if they come up.

First thing I'd do is go to a big box or similarly stocked gun store and handle and fondle a bunch. There's a lot to be said for how a rifle feels holding and shouldering it. It should be an effortless thing going from one to the other. Some rifles will feel right to you and likely some won't. Take your time there's no rush and there's usually very good season end sales around the holidays/new year. Have fun with it...

Wild one
11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Asking this question will give you a bunch of good options but in the end most are personal preference

In my opinion a 270 is a great option. It has enough punch for deer or moose even. Kick is not going to beat you up. 270 ammunition is easy to come by. This may not seem important till you forget you shells and you don’t realize till you’re along way from home standing in som BF no where store with only a few boxes of shells. Shells are a reasonable price and lots of options.

Tons of good options out there for calibers this is just one and why it’s a good first in my opinion

As for brands I hate savage because I find the as poorly made junk own one and it will be the last one I buy. Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Tikka and no doubt some others will treat you well. I can honestly say my wife’s Tikka actually is a tack driver for the price. In the end put them in your hands and see how they feel

In the end lots of options for good hunting calibers/rifles to get the job done. There is also those rifles/calibers that help make you one of the cool kids lol

In the end you’re first rifle is not going to be your last

Mosin
11-09-2018, 06:07 PM
I love my Weatherby vangaurd, browning ab3, used browning BLR, Winchester model 70

New Bow Hunter
11-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Would Rather Be Fishing, not sure where you reside, but not only handle as many guns as you can to get a feel for them. When you have settled on something you might like to shoot, ask around your area and you may find someone that would allow you to shoot that caliber of rifle. Offer to buy a box of the ammo that their rifle likes.
Myself I would recommend a Tikka T3 Lite SS in a caliber you choose with a peep sight. Just my preference.

11-09-2018, 07:47 PM
My only suggestion would be to buy a bare rifle,some not all package guns come with mounts and scopes that are crap all new guns seem to shoot well but if the scope fails you hunt over

.264winmag
11-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Don't know why the hating on the savage rifles, although not a huge fan of the axis I own two model 16's and a 111. Great rifles, a couple shoot as good as any other factory option you'll find. The 16 lwh is finicky but plenty good for 450yds in the boiler room. I would agree with staying away from the package deals as the scope/rings leave a lot to be desired. Tikka is a great option also. I'm sure there's others but I'm not familiar with them all...

Fella
11-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Don't know why the hating on the savage rifles, although not a huge fan of the axis I own two model 16's and a 111. Great rifles, a couple shoot as good as any other factory option you'll find. The 16 lwh is finicky but plenty good for 450yds in the boiler room. I would agree with staying away from the package deals as the scope/rings leave a lot to be desired. Tikka is a great option also. I'm sure there's others but I'm not familiar with them all...
I find people either love their savage or they hate it. I owned 2 111’s and to me they just felt sloppy.

.264winmag
11-09-2018, 09:40 PM
I find people either love their savage or they hate it. I owned 2 111’s and to me they just felt sloppy.

'Feel' of action means nothing in the function and accuracy department. Just gotta learn to rub the sides Fella;)

Fella
11-09-2018, 09:45 PM
'Feel' of action means nothing in the function and accuracy department. Just gotta learn to rub the sides Fella;)
There were other things, misfeeds, issues with the detachable mags etc.

Wild one
11-09-2018, 09:48 PM

Brand new out of the box and miss fired 50% of the time is my experience with buying a savage

My experience with savage is less then stellar.

Linksman313
11-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Lots of good used out there.

Most of the hunting rifles are low round count as well.

Amen Brother!!
another vote for the Savage Axis Combo, ask one of our sponsor outlets if they would be willing to trade the included (unused) scope (and rings) on a upgraded model of your choice and budget and you'll have a good and rugged starter setup for deer/bear under or about $1000
.308 would be my round of choice for budgetary concerns
PS dont be afraid to ask guys behind the counter in the shop if they would sell a scope separately off the trade-in or used rifles rack they display in store, you may often get a great scope for a great deal and the shop can make some cash too!
Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide

Redthies
11-09-2018, 10:06 PM
I’d look at the classified ads here too. Lots of good used. That said, although I have a bunch of very expensive rifles and carbines, when I wanted a bolt gun for deer, I bought a Ruger American in 7-08, and mounted a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 on it. It is ridiculously accurate for a $500 rifle. I liked it so much I bought a nice Boyd’s wood stock for it. I only use it to hunt. It should last plenty long enough putting less than 20 rounds per year through it. Before the stock, I was in right at $1000.

CVMike
11-09-2018, 10:08 PM
My girlfriend and I both bought entry level guns for our first year hunting. After the first year we both upgraded and took losses on our investments. With guns, buy once cry once is especially true in my opinion. Don’t over look the used market either. Lots of great hunters pack around an old Parker Hale .303 or Husqvarna ‘06.

scoutlt1
11-09-2018, 10:25 PM
More of a comment than a recommendation....

I picked up a Savage Model 11 with a cheap Bushnell scope a few years ago. .308

It was on sale for under $500, and I have to say, it shoots straight and kills shit.

I've always been a fan of the .308 and have a few of them, but this gun (still with the cheap scope) just keeps doing the job.

2 cents....

two-feet
11-09-2018, 11:00 PM
spend less on gear, more on hunting trips. some can afford both, if not then spend on the experience.

todbartell
11-10-2018, 12:08 AM
$1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) and find a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x ($150-175) and get some Talley scope rings. 270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices. Shoot Federal Fusion ammo or Hornady American WT

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 04:26 AM
Brand new out of the box and miss fired 50% of the time is my experience with buying a savage

My experience with savage is less then stellar.

one rifle is hardly a reason to right off a company. Shit guys send vortex crap back multiple times and keep on buying the same junk HA

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 04:28 AM
There were other things, misfeeds, issues with the detachable mags etc.

Along with rubbing the sides they also don't like to be short stroked while feeding.

Redthies
11-10-2018, 07:06 AM
$1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) .270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices.

I agree with the above, if a used T3 comes along. I’m a big fan of Nikon optics. You can buy a new Prostaff for very reasonable money. Unless you’re gung-ho for elk or moose in the near future, the calibers Tod listed are perfect for deer or other medium game.

If you look here at the used section, you will see multiple versions of .338, .300wsm, 7mm Rem magnum etc. These are the go to calibres for bigger game. You could hunt deer with them, and many do so very successfully, but ammo will cost more and be less pleasant to shoot.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but it will always be a Dodge/Ford/Chev type debate.

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 07:10 AM
I would and have never felt outgunned for elk/moose/goat with a .270. The 7-08 and .308 would be just as, if not more effective.

Redthies
11-10-2018, 07:25 AM
I would and have never felt outgunned for elk/moose/goat with a .270. The 7-08 and .308 would be just as, if not more effective.

I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of guys who are way more experienced than most on here (own a gun shop, have hunted most everything in BC and Africa). I bought a 7-08 as my primary deer gun. I usually hunt solo, so don’t go after moose or elk much. What would you recommend as a round for the big critters? I haven’t found anything heavier than 150 grain in factory loads.

Wild one
11-10-2018, 08:18 AM
one rifle is hardly a reason to right off a company. Shit guys send vortex crap back multiple times and keep on buying the same junk HA

I know others who have had issues with safeties, poorly beded barrels, sloppy action and complaints of accuracy issues. After hearing people like yourself say it’s just one rifle I started asking around. Easy to write savage off whe there is a lot of better options. I would rather pay a few extra $ on quality construction and reliability

Savage seems to be a love or hate brand and I would say that is do to inconsistent quality. I am not a fan boy of any one brand basically I won’t own a savage, new 870(old ones good), and Mossberg pumps seem to wear fast. I don’t write things off without a reason

You like savage all good myself I will buy basically everything but

Ltbullken
11-10-2018, 08:26 AM
I’m hearing good things about Win XPR and have seen some impressive targets shot with factory ammo. A combo would go for around $800. For a beginner, a 6.5 Creedmoor would work well (though I’d lean on 140 gr bullets for a black bear) but also consider a 7-08 or 308. All good for deer and bear.

Fella
11-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Along with rubbing the sides they also don't like to be short stroked while feeding.
All this talk of rubbing and stroking is making me uncomfortable.

HarryToolips
11-10-2018, 08:55 AM
As said, a Savage gun amd scope combo isn't a bad idea, that's what I started with, it's dropped quite a few critters...

willyqbc
11-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Yup, better quality, lightly used will be same price ballpark as lower quality new. As stated above, our classifieds here and the gunnutz classified are great sources for used rifles....some GREAT deals can be found. Same goes for optics. No reason you can't find a nice used rifle AND a decent used scope and still hit your budget going this route!

Good luck!
Chris

Redo
11-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I have been looking for something similar. I currently shoot a Vangard in 7mm rem mag. Love it but as I am deer hunting 95% of the time, looking for a smaller caliber. Research into entry level guns keeps me coming back to the Mossberg Patriot. Hard to find a negative review out there. They offer a Cerakoat Synthetic model that is on sale at Cabelas right now for $399. They also have a Marinecoat Laminate model which is a little pricier, but a great looking rifle.

Also like the look and reviews of the Savage 16 Stainless lightweight hunter. It can often be had for around $650 on sale.

If I end up spending a little more, I am quite interested in a stainless Vangard (Special edition looks awesome) or a stainless Tikka.

Wild one
11-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Yup, better quality, lightly used will be same price ballpark as lower quality new. As stated above, our classifieds here and the gunnutz classified are great sources for used rifles....some GREAT deals can be found. Same goes for optics. No reason you can't find a nice used rifle AND a decent used scope and still hit your budget going this route!

Good luck!
Chris

Best way to go on a budget ^^^

Bro 300
11-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Try albertaoutdoorsman.com they have a wide variety of guns and quite often someone is selling a vx ll 3x9 for a reasonable price.

Arctic Lake
11-10-2018, 04:20 PM
I have been looking for something similar. I currently shoot a Vangard in 7mm rem mag. Love it but as I am deer hunting 95% of the time, looking for a smaller caliber. Research into entry level guns keeps me coming back to the Mossberg Patriot. Hard to find a negative review out there. They offer a Cerakoat Synthetic model that is on sale at Cabelas right now for $399. They also have a Marinecoat Laminate model which is a little pricier, but a great looking rifle.

Also like the look and reviews of the Savage 16 Stainless lightweight hunter. It can often be had for around $650 on sale.

If I end up spending a little more, I am quite interested in a stainless Vangard (Special edition looks awesome) or a stainless Tikka.
Hmmmmm That's why I’m watching the 7mm08 thread . I like the idea of a Tikka stainless T3 but don’t they have a lot of plastic pieces .? Then there’s all those other manufacturers . I read reviews on the rifles but it gets exhausting guys say Remington’s are not what the used to be ,or so and so is not what they used to be ,geeeeez . I know I had a Winchester bolt action in 30.06 that I bought new in hmmmm in the early 80s had nothing but problems with it Now they say the Model 70 is great like the pre 64 if I have my facts right . Just thoughts . Arctic Lake

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 05:16 PM
I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of guys who are way more experienced than most on here (own a gun shop, have hunted most everything in BC and Africa). I bought a 7-08 as my primary deer gun. I usually hunt solo, so don’t go after moose or elk much. What would you recommend as a round for the big critters? I haven’t found anything heavier than 150 grain in factory loads.

140ttsx out the 7-08 I hear should work fine. Or an accubond, partition, hell I tipped more game over with a .270 150 game king than I can count, moose elk deer b bear goat never an issue...

Yuritau
11-10-2018, 06:11 PM
I’m hearing good things about Win XPR and have seen some impressive targets shot with factory ammo. A combo would go for around $800. For a beginner, a 6.5 Creedmoor would work well (though I’d lean on 140 gr bullets for a black bear) but also consider a 7-08 or 308. All good for deer and bear.

The XPR is a Browning X-Bolt action with a barrel made by Bergara on the front of it. The only real weakness in the whole design, imho, is the cheap synthetic stock on it. I think it's a forgivable weakness for a $600 gun, though, they have to cut costs somewhere. And by all the comparisons I've seen online, the XPR stock is better than the Tikka T3 synthetic stocks (I've never handled a Tikka myself, so that remains hearsay).

I plan to upgrade the stock on my XPR in the new year (I like some of the Boyd's offerings), but in all honesty, the gun shoots better than I do even wearing its tupperware.

For the 6.5 Creedmoor bullet suggestion, I would agree. I use the 143gr ELD-X (as do my hunting buddies), and they've proven to be very effective.

New Bow Hunter
11-10-2018, 06:20 PM
I see a BNIB Tikka T3 SS for sale on the site.

Arctic Lake
11-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Hmmmmm That's why I’m watching the 7mm08 thread . I like the idea of a Tikka stainless T3 but don’t they have a lot of plastic pieces .? Then there’s all those other manufacturers . I read reviews on the rifles but it gets exhausting guys say Remington’s are not what the used to be ,or so and so is not what they used to be ,geeeeez . I know I had a Winchester bolt action in 30.06 that I bought new in hmmmm in the early 80s had nothing but problems with it Now they say the Model 70 is great like the pre 64 if I have my facts right . Just thoughts . Arctic Lake
I would appreciate it if more experienced members could comment on my post Not trying to derail this thread ! Thanks. Arctic Lake

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 06:54 PM

If you find a 16 ss lwh for $650can buy it, or let me know I'll buy three more at that price! I picked one up last spring out of Ontario for $1050 on sale. 7-08, real beauty to pack and shoot, sure is growing on me. Stock is shit but a bit of dremelling, fibreglassing and bedding it worked out well. That rifle in the 11 lwh walnut stock would be a nice set up, pretty nice piece of furniture it is...

Redthies
11-10-2018, 07:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148543-308-Ruger-American-for-sale

I’ll just leave this here...

rocksteady
11-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Savage 11 trophy hunter in 7-08..

Talk to Mark at Omenica (Toddbartell)

dougan
11-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Buy a used rem 700 of some sort. Can’t go wrong. Better than any budget junk you will find new.

Citori54
11-10-2018, 07:31 PM
I saw a Remington Mountain laminated stainless model in .270 win today on Gun Nutz for $800. Should be a decent rifle in a great caliber.

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 07:37 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148543-308-Ruger-American-for-sale

I’ll just leave this here...

Yup there it is. Done.

180grainer
11-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Looking for a first time rifle that will take deer or bear? 308 Win or 30.06 Springfield. Given their history as reliable calibers that have put meat on the table year after year, it's not rocket science.

Redo
11-10-2018, 09:47 PM
If you find a 16 ss lwh for $650can buy it, or let me know I'll buy three more at that price! I picked one up last spring out of Ontario for $1050 on sale. 7-08, real beauty to pack and shoot, sure is growing on me. Stock is shit but a bit of dremelling, fibreglassing and bedding it worked out well. That rifle in the 11 lwh walnut stock would be a nice set up, pretty nice piece of furniture it is...

Savage 16 LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor $749. Have seen in on sale twice recently for $649

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/113422/savage-16-light-weight-hunter-bolt-action-rifle

MattW
11-10-2018, 10:46 PM
You could have a look at the used Husqvarnas in 30-06 at Tradeex Canada. My brother bought one and I have to say I'm impressed with what he got for the money. Old school quality and an accurate rifle. I like toddbartells suggestion of an Elite 3000 3-9x40, I still have a few of those and they're still a decent quality optic that gets the job done, nice and cheap too. I like the older ones that say Bausch and Lomb on them but even the Bushnell 3200s are good. Actually between the Husky at Tradeex and a used Elite 3000 you could be all set for about $600 I bet, used but not lacking in quality.

.264winmag
11-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Savage 16 LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor $749. Have seen in on sale twice recently for $649

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/113422/savage-16-light-weight-hunter-bolt-action-rifle

Thats a steal even at $750. Actually getting one in your hands could be a different story, been down that road with them before. What's online doesn't always transpire into the real thing. Still worth a try, I'm a check into on days off even though it's the sissy CM. The 11 and 16 models are discontinued, must be getting rid of the last of em..

hawk-i
11-11-2018, 08:01 AM
$1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) and find a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x ($150-175) and get some Talley scope rings. 270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices.

^^^ this!! is good advice.

murph83
11-11-2018, 08:50 AM
The tradex 30-06 is a good idea obviously, as others have said dont cheap out on a scope. You might want to consider a Remington 783 in 308, great gun for the money, and 308 will kill anything you need it to with proper shot placement.

okas
11-11-2018, 10:10 AM
gun shows or word of mouth as lots has changed as buying online used as people ?

Ltbullken
11-11-2018, 10:29 AM
The XPR is a Browning X-Bolt action with a barrel made by Bergara on the front of it. The only real weakness in the whole design, imho, is the cheap synthetic stock on it. I think it's a forgivable weakness for a $600 gun, though, they have to cut costs somewhere. And by all the comparisons I've seen online, the XPR stock is better than the Tikka T3 synthetic stocks (I've never handled a Tikka myself, so that remains hearsay).

I plan to upgrade the stock on my XPR in the new year (I like some of the Boyd's offerings), but in all honesty, the gun shoots better than I do even wearing its tupperware.

For the 6.5 Creedmoor bullet suggestion, I would agree. I use the 143gr ELD-X (as do my hunting buddies), and they've proven to be very effective.

I think the Tikka stock is better than the XPR stock. Both are very rigid though which is what you want in that kind of stock anyway.

Redthies
11-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Lots of recommendations for 6.5 Creed. My thoughts are this (and just playing D.A. here): if you are a dumbass and forget your ammo, (and we’ve all forgotten something at one time or another), will the podunk corner store sell 6.5? You know for sure they will have .308, .270 and .30-06, or at least those are the most likely suspects. I’ve never owned a 6.5 so I’m not sure on this. Just putting it out there.

Wild one
11-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Lots of recommendations for 6.5 Creed. My thoughts are this (and just playing D.A. here): if you are a dumbass and forget your ammo, (and we’ve all forgotten something at one time or another), will the podunk corner store sell 6.5? You know for sure they will have .308, .270 and .30-06, or at least those are the most likely suspects. I’ve never owned a 6.5 so I’m not sure on this. Just putting it out there.

it happens or the I will stop and pick up a box at X store and forget to

Have not done it myself but 3 different hunting partners have. They probably blame me for telling them come on hurry up get it together we should have left already lol

GoodPartner
11-11-2018, 12:37 PM
I bought my first rifle 9 years ago. Like many I wanted an entry level gun I could use to hunt all (most) species. I was clueless, (and probably still am). Cost was the most important factor. I wasn't sure how much I would be hunting and figured I could upgrade my rifle down the road once I got the hang of it. I told the sales guy this and he pulled out a savage axis ll in .270. It was a combo sale mounted with a cheap tasco scope. I bought the gun, I think it was in the $500-600 range. Of course the gas went in the scope within the first year and I replaced it with a redfield revolution 3-9x40 (I think it was in the $250 range). I agree with the comment about avoiding the combo package. It doesn't have to be your forever scope to start but you can get significant gains in quality for not that much more money buying them separately.

If I could do it again I would also look for a used rifle and scope, as many have suggested above.

I have hunted with the savage/redfield for the last 8 years and managed to harvest moose, elk, and all three species of deer with it. I'm still not a gun guy, point and shoot seems to work fine. I didn't account for needing to buy all of my other hunting gear when I first bought the gun so upgrading was put off long after I knew that I was in love with hunting. Adding range finder, binoculars, spotting scope, packs, boots etc seemed to always take priority over a new rifle, especially when I had one that works. I finally upgraded my rifle and scope this summer.

I think you will find something that works for you for under $1,000 for sure. I get buy once, cry once, for optics, but whatever gets you out there for a rife right now will work. if you need/want to upgrade down the road and lose a bit of money on your first gun you can cross that bridge when you get there. I didn't sell the savage when I upgraded. It's my son's gun now. He was a toddler when I bought it. Possibly something to consider? time flies!

I never imagined I would own more than one gun but I have 5 now. I never imagined I would be comfortable investing thousands of dollars on hunting equipment but I have. I'm not saying someone needs to do that to be successful but my perspective has changed as my passion for hunting has grown. I think spending money on hunting is a lot wrap your head around when you are just starting out. If you don't have the money to spend, get what you can and get out there! you don't need something fancy. It is going to be fantastic either way!

All the best to you on your purchase and future hunting!

2La
11-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Like many others have said get on CanadianGunNutz and search for a combo sell, Or a Husky 1600/1900 in 06 or 6.5x55 (495$ for a good shooter) and buy used glass and talley mounts off of Gun Nutz. My buddies girlfriend bought a mossberg patriot with the cheap vortex combo... as soon as you hold it you can tell its a cheaply made firearm, stock had flex in it and the flashing wasnt even removed.

blackbart
11-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Get a surplus .303 with a peep sight. That's what I started with and it worked just fine.

Bro 300
11-13-2018, 09:14 PM
There you go Quesnel Kid is selling a Browning BBR in 7mm cal. and a good scope for a very reasonable price.
Far better rifle than any entry level gun in a great caliber.

Sleep.Hunt.Eat.Repeat
11-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Hi,
Every rifle shoots, get a .308 or 30-06. Make sure it feels good when holding it in your hands. Detachable magazine is nice(r). Focus on the optics, the better the better! Good luck. Going through that process myself :)

Taurusguy
11-14-2018, 07:31 AM
This season both my kids got Remington 783 in 30.06.... got them from reliable gun ... swapped out the lousy scopes for crossfire II scopes and walked out under 1k for scope/case/triggerlock/gun and they bore sighted it too. My son hammered his first deer with it and hes 14. I highly reccomend it. 30.06 is a good all round gun.