PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to legally leave the hide on all peices of meat in B.C.?

jaybe14
11-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Just wondering if you can remove the fur off the meat (ex gutless method)? If CO stops you and no fur on the meat can you get in trouble?
Just wondering if anyone knows the reference in the regs?

whitlers
11-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Depends on what you are hunting but for ex. Deer you need to leave the unskinned tail as evidence of species. If you were to quarter in the Bush then you would need to leave the tail on one rear quarter. Have a read on pg. 20.

j270wsm
11-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Yes, you need to leave an 8cm( I could be wrong on the size ) patch of hair on each quarter.

Muledeercrazy2
11-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Tail, proof of sex, antlers if not any buck season

Lukeez88
11-08-2018, 09:21 PM
When I quarter and skin an animal in the bush i always leave a patch of fur on each quarter, as thats the way i understand it in the regs. However last season i ran into a CO on my way out of the bush with my harvest and he told me it wasnt necessary."If there is one quarter with the nutsack and tail, its obvious the other 3 quarters belong with it" (his words).
So that CO looks at it that way, but what is the next CO going to say?!?! I may just continue to keep a patch on to be safe. Hate giving those guys ANY ammunition!

scoutlt1
11-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Nothing wrong with asking for opinions on a hunting forum as far as I'm concerned...always brings up interesting discussions. :)

If you have a "legal" question however, go to the source. If you have read the regs and don't understand something, ask the question, in writing, from someone in enforcement (a CO for example).
Ask the question, and get the answer, in writing. Carry that paperwork with you.

You arguing your case with a CO because you got the "answer" from Scoult1 (for example) on HBC is meaningless to him or her. Having a (dated) printout of the response from a CO (especially if it's from one in the MU that you are hunting in) holds much more weight.

Just my opinion of course....

twoSevenO
11-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure the regs say unskinned tail only for deer ... as far as hide goes.

And the patch of fur that needs to be left is for moose/elk only, I believe.

And from what I understand and from what I see from pics of others doing .... you only need to leave it on one of the pieces.

jaybe14
11-08-2018, 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone,and appreciate the regs reference

Gateholio
11-09-2018, 12:58 AM
I usually leave a ring of fur around the ankle area of each quarter

ncurrie
11-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Just wondering if you can remove the fur off the meat (ex gutless method)? If CO stops you and no fur on the meat can you get in trouble?
Just wondering if anyone knows the reference in the regs?

pg 20 of the regulations will answer your questions.

Keta1969
11-09-2018, 07:26 AM

This is what I have found is the easiest.

mastercaster
11-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure the regs say unskinned tail only for deer ... as far as hide goes.

And the patch of fur that needs to be left is for moose/elk only, I believe.

And from what I understand and from what I see from pics of others doing .... you only need to leave it on one of the pieces.

You definitely have to have proof of sex on one of the hind quarters if you're not packing the head out. If it's 4 point only season then you need to have the head or portion there of with the antlers.

triggerhappy
11-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Yes, you need to leave an 8cm( I could be wrong on the size ) patch of hair on each quarter.

This is not true. You should read the regs because this is way off from what you are required to do.

triggerhappy
11-09-2018, 12:29 PM
This is unnecessary and legally is not sufficient for proving species.

Jelvis
11-09-2018, 06:09 PM
trigger's makin me happy folks, sounds like clarification across this nation. Trigger sounds confident hunters about this subject!

Jelly Happy ----> anyone have these regs avail a bubble?

Gateholio
11-09-2018, 06:29 PM

it might be unnecessary but it's easy and it is readily identifiable as moose or elk or deer hide.

If it's a deer you need to also keep the tail on, and almost all species require evidence of sex now, too.

(1)For caribou, elk or moose, theanimal’s tail or another readilyidentifiable part of the hide not lessthan 6 cm2, AND:(i) If the animal is male, a testicleor part of the penis,(ii)If the animal is female, aportion of the udder or teats.
(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND:(i) If the animal is male, a testicle orpart of the penis,(ii) If the animal is female, a portionof the udder and teats.
(3)For bison, mountain goat or mountainsheep:(i) If the animal is male, a testicleor part of the penis.(ii)If the animal is female, aportion of the udder or teats

J_T
11-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Triggerhappy. You might want to look a bit closer at the requirements. The regs can say what they do. Until they are tested in court, your day is a function of how a CO interprets those regs.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend the Cache Creek game check checked 1400 vehicles, and issued 53 tickets. Of those 53 issued, around 40 were for transportation of wildlife that did not comply with the regulation.

A few years ago, a close friend in my camp took a bull elk, in an any elk season (BOS). We had a cooler on site and the four quarters were hanging inside and the head, just outside the door. The young fellow took a warning ticket for not leaving the head with the quarters.

.264winmag
11-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Thats funny, worked for us for over 30 years, along with proof of sex and/or headgear...

.264winmag
11-09-2018, 09:01 PM
This is not true. You should read the regs because this is way off from what you are required to do.

Look in the mirror HA

HappyJack
11-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Triggerhappy. You might want to look a bit closer at the requirements. The regs can say what they do. Until they are tested in court, your day is a function of how a CO interprets those regs.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend the Cache Creek game check checked 1400 vehicles, and issued 53 tickets. Of those 53 issued, around 40 were for transportation of wildlife that did not comply with the regulation.

A few years ago, a close friend in my camp took a bull elk, in an any elk season (BOS). We had a cooler on site and the four quarters were hanging inside and the head, just outside the door. The young fellow took a warning ticket for not leaving the head with the quarters.

He must have run into the same idiot CO we did one time, no sense, bonehead power hungry dufus.

dana
11-09-2018, 09:08 PM

Hunters who know the law need to stand firm and argue their cases so that these BS warning tickets are left in the CO's ticket books.

Hillerbillyvan
11-10-2018, 07:35 PM
I was one of those 1400 stopped in cache creek and having 2 moose on board got us the full attention of most of the CO's on site, we had 1 butchered,wrapped and frozen with paperwork
and mine was 4 quarters & 2 rib racks stacked in game bags, left the required patch of hair on only 1 quarter (as per regs). And there was no question among all the CO's that was perfectly sufficient

now with that said a great tip I would offer others is MAKE SURE! You leave said patch of hair is easily accessible and you don't end up like we did ripping bags and digging through heavy quarters desperately trying to find it while the CO gets excited ready to pour some ink haha

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 07:45 PM
I was one of those 1400 stopped in cache creek and having 2 moose on board got us the full attention of most of the CO's on site, we had 1 butchered,wrapped and frozen with paperwork
and mine was 4 quarters & 2 rib racks stacked in game bags, left the required patch of hair on only 1 quarter (as per regs). And there was no question among all the CO's that was perfectly sufficient

now with that said a great tip I would offer others is MAKE SURE! You leave said patch of hair is easily accessible and you don't end up like we did ripping bags and digging through heavy quarters desperately trying to find it while the CO gets excited ready to pour some ink haha

Nice to hear the patch of hair requirement hasn't changed since sept when we trucked a couple moose home, and as long as I can remember. Oh wait, patch of hair on only one 1/4?

j270wsm
11-10-2018, 08:54 PM

The advice I gave goes above and beyond the requirements of the regs.....wheres the issue?? It's not like I gave advice that was illegal!! I though the regs stated that you had to leave hide on all quarters.

Not one Co will give you shit if you have hide on 4 quarters and evidence of sex on one or both hind quarters

krazy
11-10-2018, 09:45 PM
For antlered animals, I don't understand why the portion of the head with antlers attached, or that would contain the antlers if female, is not sufficient for evidence of sex?? We hunt antlered or anterless not balls or no balls. We tag em that way too. And every year we see posts of a few antlered animals that were harvested that turn out to be females ... so what then? Illegal? Of course not. I get that rules are rules but it just seems silly when it actually makes no difference to legality whatsoever. I dunno maybe I'm missing something ...

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 07:59 AM
It's crazy I agree butt the head on a quarter or the head on the whole body?
Jellious -- the C.O. is the boss so don't play stoopid --- talk normal and at a low voice tone --> answer questions asked and then stop talking Hahahahaha
--------------------------- > a piece of fur ain't that hard to leave on --------------------------------> Leave the head on with a piece of fur -- > Brooks and Done!

murph83
11-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Pretty sure its already been answered but what the hell, i will chime in. Check the regs, all the info you need is in there.

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 09:04 AM
murph the surf -- Whoa your avatar is too cool for this site ok? ----> who did you get that off of? thee rack n skull is too cool!

The an swers are in the regs butt the regs are boring and HBC is too hot ok --- > now carry on Hahahahahaha

Redthies
11-11-2018, 10:45 AM
murph the surf -- Whoa your avatar is too cool for this site ok? ----> who did you get that off of? thee rack n skull is too cool!

What skull? That’s clearly a butterfly hovering between the antlers!

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
It's too cool for HBC right now maybe a year from now or so butt eh -- you mustah stole it from some body in the States or whaaaaaaaa?

Jello Marsh Mello -- a Skull and a huge muley rack attack! -- Please change avatar for now!

LBM
11-11-2018, 02:24 PM
What if one wants to do a life size mount,