PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Leases

Grasp
11-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Does anyone know if there is a central location you can find info about property people are willing to lease the hunting rights on? Do we even do this in Canada? Seems big in the states but I don't know of anyone here that does it.

RyoTHC
11-08-2018, 08:36 AM
I'm interested If there is such a thing, though I kind of doubt it with the current political atmosphere regarding guns and hunting. Insurance would likely drop the property owners like hot potatoes if anything ever happened.

Wild one
11-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately it is legal in BC and in some areas GO’s have paid for exclusive hunting rights on ranches. Some hunt clubs have done it for waterfowl in BC as well. This has actually made it much harder to gain permission in areas in BC.

Alberta has it right where it is against the law to charge for hunting access because they believe wildlife is a resource that belongs to the public.

Do not encourage this in Canada it actually has created a big barrier for hunters in part of the US.This is something BC should nip in the butt early well it won’t see much resistance. Think long term for the future when crown land is less accessible as the population grows

dakoda62
11-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I know its popular in the Maritimes with water fowl hunters, farmers put a few extra bucks in their pockets.

Wild one
11-08-2018, 09:52 AM
I know its popular in the Maritimes with water fowl hunters, farmers put a few extra bucks in their pockets.

Makes gaining access for waterfowl in the lower mainland tougher too

dak0ta
11-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Makes gaining access for waterfowl in the lower mainland tougher too

Yep... I have to make do on public lands.

Wild one
11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Leasing is only good for those who have $ to put towards keeping others out

Liptugger
11-08-2018, 10:56 AM
It is a slippery slope, could end up like fishing in the UK

finngun
11-08-2018, 10:58 AM
jep but how ..as a landowner ya keep 'landkeepers' out....if they wanna hang around?:roll:

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 11:12 AM
douglas lake ranch..ughh

kootenaihunter
11-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Problem with DLR is that it surrounds a piece of crown land (the lake) and they have issues giving a right of way to access it, essentially making it private.

Same thing happens with checkerboarding in the states and outlawing corner crossing.

Darksith
11-08-2018, 11:48 AM
you own the land but not the animals on it. Next you will see high fences keeping our critters in...I don't like that idea one bit

2chodi
11-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Technically, landowners who do not have guiding tenures in BC can't charge for "hunting", but they can charge for access to their land — a subtle difference with similar results.

wideopenthrottle
11-08-2018, 12:52 PM
you own the land but not the animals on it. Next you will see high fences keeping our critters in...I don't like that idea one bit

sorry for the hijack but you just reminded me that i saw 2 big MD does lying inside the perimeter of a chain link fence yesterday....butit was in someones backyard near the petrocan in princeton....heheheheh...was driving so no pics

boxhitch
11-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Private landowners should have the right to charge trespass fees for any activity on their own land, and to choose who they grant access to.

Darksith
11-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Private landowners should have the right to charge trespass fees for any activity on their own land, and to choose who they grant access to.

I have no problem with that, but high fences shouldn't be allowed, controlling movement or restricting movement of non domestic animals should not be allowed, and if there is public land surrounded entirely by private land, access must be allowed

Redthies
11-08-2018, 03:39 PM

One of our members gave me the name of a rancher who was happy to allow hunters (responsible and considerate ones) on his land. I now have a great rapport with that land owner and have hunted his lands a couple of times now, with game in the freezer as a result. His neighbor will call the COs and have you charged if you even step one toe on his property. I think if my acreage was large enough to allow hunting on it, I would have a very hard time with letting random strangers walk around it with loaded guns. If you find a deal like I have, make sure you treat the land owners like gold!

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 09:54 PM
i have land that restricts access to public land...if your not a dirt bag i will let accesd occur except you darksith (kidding) problem is litter poaching and shooting towards houses.. had a fawn shot on my posted driveway with two inch spikes..buddy left guts in my yard.when i went to say hi he was proud of the buck with milk on its lips...next day more signs went up..
no problem shooting a limit of deer a year and granting access no problem..problem lies in dirt bag greedy attitude like last week 6 shots 2 whitetail shooting all directions.

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 09:56 PM
ps leases would be the wnd of what bc great

HappyJack
11-09-2018, 09:00 PM
It's their land, they can do what they want. We allow people to hunt on our property, but getting a few $$ would be a nice bonus too.

finngun
11-10-2018, 12:07 PM
It's their land, they can do what they want. We allow people to hunt on our property, but getting a few $$ would be a nice bonus too.

whatta about if ya tell landowner,,he will get part of the meat...like 1/4 of the deer or somehing like that...maybe money no need to pay?:cool: