PDA

View Full Version : Shoot a Bear - Will Another Move into the Territory?

skibum
11-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Going back to my mulie spot next weekend - I took a big boar out of the area last week

Should I buy another bear tag? Will another bear move into the area this late in the season?

(I am kind of jaded on bear tags --- as up to this bear, I had shot more wolves than bears seen over the last 5 seasons)

Ltbullken
11-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Simple answer - yes.

Foxton Gundogs
11-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Bears are where you find them YES

walks with deer
11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
normally yes but the bears are way less active now.

Bugle M In
11-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Going back to my mulie spot next weekend - I took a big boar out of the area last week

Should I buy another bear tag? Will another bear move into the area this late in the season?

(I am kind of jaded on bear tags --- as up to this bear, I had shot more wolves than bears seen over the last 5 seasons)
Will a bear move in, yup.
This season, a week later, might be quick, but then some bears probably never had "complet rights" to the territory anyways, so it depends if the bear you took was "his spot" to begin with??
But I think you answered your question, that you rarely see a bear, so why bother so quick afterwards?
Guess the real answer is, do mind forking out cash that goes to general revenue?
Or, if monies tight, then I wouldn't.

good luck coming up!

Red_Mist
11-06-2018, 12:23 PM
if there was one bear in the area then there will certainly be more.

srupp
11-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Yes
Absolutely
Steven

IronNoggin
11-06-2018, 03:15 PM
You took a "Big Boar".
If it was a dominant male as you allude to, then a definite yes.
He was there because the habitat and food sources are primo.
Nature abhors a vacuum. Especially in the case of primo habitat.
So do bears.
Another large / next in line dominant will move in.
Sometimes a simple matter of a day or two.

Buy the tag.

Cheers,
Nog

caddisguy
11-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Not really sure about fall bears when it comes to territory, but with spring bears, for every one I shoot, two or three more appear and this repeats year after year. It's like some ridiculous game of a whack-a-mole. Probably more to do with less cub mortality in the area and perhaps after removing a dominant bear others move in and co-exist for some time. Only guessing. I don't think this really applies to a place you recently whacked a fall bear, but the bear you shot was there for a reason, so it makes sense another will show up... probably just as likely there are already others around.

todbartell
11-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Shoot more bears.

45freezer
11-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Don't buy the tag and you're sure to have a bruiser hanging out right by camp...buy it and you just might catch a glimpse of the back end of a little one hightailing it into the thick stuff, Roosevelt's law ;)

VLD43
11-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Bears are where you find them YES

Just like Cops?

boxhitch
11-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Bears don't have exclusivity in their territorries, they are all shared. Thats why bears are so skittish all the time, checking their back side for trouble, more worried about another bear than the rare occasional human

caddisguy
11-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Bears don't have exclusivity in their territorries, they are all shared. Thats why bears are so skittish all the time, checking their back side for trouble, more worried about another bear than the rare occasional human

I think so too. I can watch a bear in a feeding area for an hour then leave, come back and see a different one a few hours later. Other times a bear will notice me and slowly wander out of the feeding area, not running at all, like "oh I guess I had my fill, something else wants a turn".

If there is one bear there are likely already more bears. At most their schedules change lol

"Now that big bruiser is gone I get first shift on the grub!"

skibum
11-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Cool thanks guys, given how good this bear tasted, I don't want to risk seeing one without a tag.

I thought they might be a bit more territorial, but I guess not.