PDA

View Full Version : 3-29/ red lake area atv closures???

Jason Melo
11-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Ok so correct me if Im wrong please!

One of my hunting buddies has a doe draw for 3-29 he is planning to go for the long weekend in Novemeber. I told him that the use of atv is now prohibited in that MU and he is arguing with me saying that it isnt the whole MU and is only certain areas of the MU that is closed.

Am I reading the regs wrong or is he reading the regs wrong.???

Im supposed to be going with him and I dont want to take the ATVs he is insisting on taking and using them. I told him no we cant take them cause there is no point to take something you cant use.

Please help and prove either him or I wrong!!!

Thanks
Jason

Weatherby Fan
11-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Yes sir you are correct......page 43 of the paper regs.......he probably can't read so we understand !!!!

uATV for Hunting Closed Areas: The operation of all ATVs to hunt wildlife, transport wildlife, transport equipment and supplies which are intended for
or in support of hunting, or transport hunters to and from the location of wildlife is prohibited in Management Units 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30, and that portion of M.U. 3-17 north of Highway 99, from Sept 1 to Dec 10.

Jason Melo
11-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Ok perfect im going to screenshot this page and send it to him!! Hahaha

Islander30
11-06-2018, 08:10 AM
It's all of 3-29 as well as 3-28 and 3-30. You are correct, if you bring an ATV you can not use it for any purpose relating to hunting.

Jelvis
11-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Jason Mello you got it cleared up Hahahahahahaha, we all know now! The Fan from Haney and we all went Zany --- no atv in Mu 3-28 either!
Jello Marsh Mello Rocka Fello -- NO ATV in 3-28 -- Cleared the Water --

Jason Melo
11-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info!!

Looks like he might not be wanting to go and get his doe anymore because of the no atv usage.

Somone doesnt like to walk lol

Browning 3\d
11-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Whats the matter he can not walk.

Islander30
11-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Looks like he might not be wanting to go and get his doe anymore because of the no atv usage.

lol...tell him can still use his truck, and maybe a doe will jump out in the middle of the road a he can just run it over...won't even have to get out and shoot it.

digger dogger
11-06-2018, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=Jason Melo;2047884

Somone doesnt like to walk lol[/QUOTE]
YIKES!!!
Has he hunted for very long, does he gots the bunions, gout, chaffing???lol

It is a doe, he should be able to fill that tag in a 1hr tour, on foot, on the right ridge.

Redthies
11-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Someone doesn’t deserve his LEH. I hunted exactly once with an “atv guy” who didn’t like walking. Biggest waste of my time ever. The “let’s drive around with a beer and see what jumps up and runs” mentality does not fly with me.

Jason Melo
11-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Sorry I should have said that he likes to walk but cant walk much because of an old spine injury..

Ill still convice him to go i think though hopefully lol

Jelvis
11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
No use driving around with atv's in the back when your not going to use them in 3-29 and try to tell the C.O.s you needed the weight ?
-- even tho your honest they'ed be on it.
Jello - in 3- 28 and 3 -29 -- make your trip as tight and right as you can from start to finish -- as simple yet filled with delight for the outdoors --

Redthies
11-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Sorry I should have said that he likes to walk but cant walk much because of an old spine injury..

Ill still convice him to go i think though hopefully lol

Damn, I’ve been mocking the handicapped! Having broken my back before, I can relate. Walking is some of the best therapy for an injury.

As others have said, a doe tag should be relatively easy to fill!

Bugle M In
11-06-2018, 12:24 PM
It's all of 3-29 as well as 3-28 and 3-30. You are correct, if you bring an ATV you can not use it for any purpose relating to hunting.

Like this^^^^

DO NOT SHOW UP WITH QUADS!!
and one other thing to realize....
DO NOT DRIVE ANY OF THE FIRE PERIMETER ROADS!! EVEN WITH YOUR TRUCK!

normal roads, use your truck, that's it.
Don't know which roads are actually fire perimeter roads: then find the map, it will show them.

Darksith
11-06-2018, 12:29 PM
the closure is a joke, I get it that you shouldn't be driving in a burn, but some of those MU's didn't get burnt. Why would they do such a thing...it makes no sense. Restrict ATV's to roads or trails, or restrict from burnt ground showing signs of burn...something. I would rather beat up my ATV and save $ on gas than drive my expensive truck around

Bugle M In
11-06-2018, 01:15 PM
the closure is a joke, I get it that you shouldn't be driving in a burn, but some of those MU's didn't get burnt. Why would they do such a thing...it makes no sense. Restrict ATV's to roads or trails, or restrict from burnt ground showing signs of burn...something. I would rather beat up my ATV and save $ on gas than drive my expensive truck around

Your absolutely right!
It should have been restricted to the "actual burn site"!
I don't own or use a quad, my buddies do however.
Most stick to the roads, but there are areas where atv users have taken big liberties.
I can see some burnt areas where some folks on quads would just drive right in thru the burns, making there own trails.
Dirt bike clubs have been responsible for making "a lot of trails" which obviously, atv hunters now use.
Made some prime hunting areas completely useless now.

And yes, some of those fire perimeters go right into some prime areas as well, which were great areas to hunt on foot.
I do wish we could come to some kind of resolve with quads/orv's and where and how they can be used.
I personally would like them be restricted to fsr's only, just like trucks/cars.
And then designate some trails as atv use as well.
Otherwise, it's off limits, imo.
I understand quads are a cheaper way to get around, and I totally get using them to beat up, rather then an 80,000$
diesel.
I get it, and yes some of these restrictions in these MU's are stupid.
But I guess it is easier (what's new) for the ministry just to make an entire mu off limits then make it a detailed map.
Hate to say it, but because few atv folks never follow the rules (like some areas off limits to them in the kettle), that
it is just easier to ban them outright in particular mu's.

Inlet Hunter
11-06-2018, 10:08 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7094&stc=1 It was time to trade my Quad in and get something else.....:)

browningboy
11-07-2018, 12:31 AM
I’m glad they shut down ATVs, actually was peacefull out there this year, and yes I own quads

boxhitch
11-07-2018, 08:11 AM
But I guess it is easier (what's new) for the ministry just to make an entire mu off limits then make it a detailed map.
Hate to say it, but because few atv folks never follow the rules (like some areas off limits to them in the kettle), that
it is just easier to ban them outright in particular mu's. also easier to enforce....
and it reduces pressure in the fringe areas of the fires...........
and and and

tipper
11-07-2018, 09:45 AM
I’m glad they shut down ATVs, actually was peacefull out there this year, and yes I own quads

I'm also glad they shut them down and I own a side by side. Haven't seen nearly the amount of people like most years. Actually quiet out there for once.
I did see one guy with a quad and a rifle on his rack up near buntings farm way up criss creek. Perhaps he was going to find a place to go target shooting...?

hawk-i
11-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Can one get a medical exemption to the no quad rule if approved by a doctor? Physically handicapped shouldn't be excluded from partaking in any event!

odie1830
11-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Hey Jason! 3-29 no need for quads anyway! Lot of great area to park the Chevy and glass, and go for some easy hikes. But it's not like cresent area !!! Lol

tomahawk
11-07-2018, 01:05 PM

The word from the CO's is that its not the burn itself that has instigated the ATV ban, they said its due to the burn area animals have been displaced and dispersed throughout the area's around the burn and there is some concentrated populations throughout the 3 closed MU's that they are concerned about too many being harvested.

I wonder if it will ever be allowed to use them again???

Jagermeister
11-07-2018, 05:14 PM

Ill still convice him to go i think though hopefully lolThen he should qualify as a disabled hunter and possibly use his ATV. He would have to gain that approval before setting out on the ATV trail. It will require a doctor's certification.

horshur
11-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Then he should qualify as a disabled hunter and possibly use his ATV. He would have to gain that approval before setting out on the ATV trail. It will require a doctor's certification.
No..he might qualify as a disabled hunter but not to hunt the closed areas...

finngun
11-07-2018, 06:43 PM
what about fn? are they included...or no? trational hunting back of pic-up toyota..eh:cool:

dana
11-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Diabled hunters are included in the ban. They can hunt from a vehicle but not from an ATV, no different than anyone else.

Isn't it funny that everyone was ranting on here a few months ago that there are 2 many roads and wildlife need a place to hide and habitat habitat habitat. And now that some regs are in place to restrict people and protect animals, the bitching starts. It is a good idea until it affects me right?

bcsteve
11-07-2018, 07:44 PM
My problem with the ban is that now, the roads and trails I used to ride around on my quads with my young kids now have guys driving in trucks. How does that help!?

horshur
11-07-2018, 07:48 PM
I feel for some of the old timers...the ban hits them hard...my poor dad he had a lot of enjoyment and success over the years in spite of his heart condition..but what is the saying? “All good things come to an end”

boxhitch
11-07-2018, 07:57 PM
.......Isn't it funny that everyone was ranting on here a few months ago that there are 2 many roads and wildlife need a place to hide and habitat habitat habitat. And now that some regs are in place to restrict people and protect animals, the bitching starts. It is a good idea until it affects me right?You think they are the same peeps, being two faced? I doubt it

boxhitch
11-07-2018, 07:59 PM
I feel for some of the old timers...the ban hits them hard...my poor dad he had a lot of enjoyment and success over the years in spite of his heart condition..but what is the saying? “All good things come to an end”Doesn't have to end...unless the cord doesn't reach far

REMINGTON JIM
11-07-2018, 08:03 PM
I'm also glad they shut them down and I own a side by side. Haven't seen nearly the amount of people like most years. Actually quiet out there for once.
I did see one guy with a quad and a rifle on his rack up near buntings farm way up criss creek. Perhaps he was going to find a place to go target shooting...?

Yea Its NOT Ilegal to carry a firearm on your quad or SxS it just illegal to HUNT ! RJ

dana
11-07-2018, 08:14 PM
You think they are the same peeps, being two faced? I doubt it

Hmmm, do you think ol' Patty Cake would be happy if there was a ban like this in his little quad hunting area? Hahaha

What I saw on here was a ton of people whinning about roads and whinning about logging. But come hunting season, a ton of people whinning about these very roads being closed. I guess it is the classic Nimby nature. Things like roadclosures are great as long as they don't happen in your backyard.

Jelvis
11-07-2018, 08:41 PM
The Ministry should be respected for making these mu's closed to atv's for hunting purposes. It helps protect area that the Ministry has set aside for mule deer years ago. Wintering area and breeding grounds for mule deer herds well established over hundreds of years by mamma nature --
Jelly - the Ministry has done the proper thing in these areas of these Mu's like Mu 3-28 for instance, well thought out and executed and now enforced!

horshur
11-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Doesn't have to end...unless the cord doesn't reach far
The quad gives independence...independence is important.

horshur
11-07-2018, 08:45 PM
The Ministry should be respected for making these mu's closed to atv's for hunting purposes. It helps protect area that the Ministry has set aside for mule deer years ago. Wintering area and breeding grounds for mule deer herds well established over hundreds of years by mamma nature --
Jelly - the Ministry has done the proper thing in these areas of these Mu's like Mu 3-28 for instance, well thought out and executed and now enforced!
It s good decision...

butthead
11-07-2018, 09:16 PM
just might just be the gubberments smartest thing Ive ever seen them do

tipper
11-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Yea Its NOT Ilegal to carry a firearm on your quad or SxS it just illegal to HUNT ! RJ

Yes I know that. My second home is quad access in 29 and I never go without my trusty .44

REMINGTON JIM
11-07-2018, 11:20 PM
yes i know that. My second home is quad access in 29 and i never go without my trusty .44

kool ! :-) rj

tipper
11-07-2018, 11:49 PM
Don't worry rj it's a ranch hand :-)

180grainer
11-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Lots of guys roaring up and down there roads where I am. Kind of a piss off too when you've walked half a mile down some goat trail only to be overtaken by a guy in a quad who keeps going like you're not even there.

REMINGTON JIM
11-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Don't worry rj it's a ranch hand :-)

Oh Yea I assumed that ! :-P lol RJ

Rupert Retired
11-08-2018, 12:10 AM
This closure is a total over-reach by COs. Yes, I said COs, they have all kinds of influence with the biologists, they determine these closures in meetings they have together, on an annual basis, usually in the spring. Other GMUs have specific closures, including Lat and Long, just look at some of the quad closures up north, in Region 6 for instance. These fire closures were implemented because someone was too lazy to specify where quads should not be used off-road. I think there should be a determined protest from the BC Wildlife Federation against these closures, they are outrageous.

Rupert Retired
11-08-2018, 12:40 AM
Also, everyone who is reading this, whether they are pro ATV or against them, should decide (or realize) whether this Government is trying to divide hunters. I think we should be totally against things like the Grizzly Bear hunting ban, regardless of whether you will ever want to or be able to hunt a Grizz, and also, totally against encroaching regs that tend to shut down access to hunters, regardless of whether you yourself use a Quad. This ATV ban is one of them, implemented with the excuse of a fire allowing additional access to quads (which in about 90 - 99% of the area closed is total BS). I know that there are legitimate reasons to restrict some hunting, but we should be united against any further restrictions, wherever!

338win mag
11-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Hmmm, do you think ol' Patty Cake would be happy if there was a ban like this in his little quad hunting area? Hahaha

What I saw on here was a ton of people whinning about roads and whinning about logging. But come hunting season, a ton of people whinning about these very roads being closed. I guess it is the classic Nimby nature. Things like roadclosures are great as long as they don't happen in your backyard.
Where I hunt roads have been deactivated big time, you gotta walk in there now, no more logging because there are no trees to log....the game is really liking it and so am I. I dont have a quad and in 30 years of hunting the said area I have never seen such a rebound in game....less hunters of all kinds, more deactivation wont hurt my feelings, whether its a quad ban or whatever it takes.

BeerMan
11-08-2018, 08:15 AM
I noticed a lot of signs posted "No Motorized Vehicles" on existing roads in 3-30 and 3-29. No deactivation just a simple smallish sign. Not even sure if it was legit, could be those types that camp in the middle of the road putting them up. Did not see a CO in over a week in the bush,but can't say I ever have up there. Mentioned too 2 separate hunting groups from the Island with quads and side by sides about the ORV ban. They did not have a clue until I showed them the Regs. Chance of getting caught seemed pretty slim though.

Wild one
11-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Only issue I see with this is if there is going to be an atv ban it should not be limited to the use of hunting

Wild one
11-08-2018, 08:51 AM
This closure is a total over-reach by COs. Yes, I said COs, they have all kinds of influence with the biologists, they determine these closures in meetings they have together, on an annual basis, usually in the spring. Other GMUs have specific closures, including Lat and Long, just look at some of the quad closures up north, in Region 6 for instance. These fire closures were implemented because someone was too lazy to specify where quads should not be used off-road. I think there should be a determined protest from the BC Wildlife Federation against these closures, they are outrageous.

The BCWF is not a hunting organization but instead a conservation group. The have been leaning this way more and more all the time.

Deactivation and limiting motor vehicle access in hopes of reclaiming habitat is something that fits into the BCWF habitat agenda if I understand correctly. Personally I can see benefits to this but this closure does not fit under this as it only restricted hunters

Nothing wrong with on trail responsible atv use. The issue is those that are trashing everything that causes the issue and why you will get excessive closures. This abuse comes from rec and hunting atv users that lack respect

You are correct in your other post BC hunters do need to work together but it will involve common sense, co operation among different kinds of hunter, and one solid voice for hunters.

skibum
11-08-2018, 10:36 AM
I would prefer they ban ATV use to reduce success rates here, rather than just closing down mule deer hunt in the area.

Are the majority affected those that enjoy ATV'ing and pack a gun in case they see any game?

Wild one
11-08-2018, 11:12 AM
I would prefer they ban ATV use to reduce success rates here, rather than just closing down mule deer hunt in the area.

Are the majority affected those that enjoy ATV'ing and pack a gun in case they see any game?

ATV use I personally don’t see as a big factor on MD success rates but could be wrong

Odds are even the 1 MD buck limit is not enough to solve buck vs doe ratios falling short in a lot of MUs. Not what BC hunters want to hear but expect more restrictions on MD after this falls short. No I have not heard of any new restrictions coming just a theory

This is not even factoring in overall MD population decline and this is going to take more then hunting regs

Darksith
11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Only issue I see with this is if there is going to be an atv ban it should not be limited to the use of hunting

Bingo! It should be more than just about the animals, it should be about protecting a fragile ecosystem as it rebounds from a forest fire. ALL ATV's should be banned, not just ones for hunting.