PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on Bone Saws

dak0ta
11-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Hi,

What do you guys pack for saws to cut through pelvic bones, sternums, and separate skulls/antlers?

Gateholio
11-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Mostly just a knife but a small folding sandvik saw goes in my pack. A cordless recip in the truck is handy too.

srupp
11-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Hmm I have 4 blades on order from home depot..

My favorite is millwauki 12 inch..5 tpi..teeth per inch..CARBIDE tipped teeth

My next favorite IS FREUD. .12 inch 5 TPI CARBIDE tipped teeth..Diablo. .

For sawzall or recip saw

Butter,
Steven

Downwindtracker2
11-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Those folding Japanese pruning saws. Lee Valley sells them.

skibum
11-05-2018, 05:55 PM
In the field a small 6 inch saw. Seen guys carry small axes, but they weigh too much for my liking.

I always have a bitch of a time at home cutting the skull plate off.

dak0ta
11-05-2018, 06:10 PM
So a specialized saw for hunting isn't necessary per se?

BTF
11-05-2018, 06:14 PM
I use a folding pruning saw, lots of brands out there and most use the same tooth design. buck moose limbs off no problem or deer antlers. Moose antlers are too tough, best do that back at camp unless you have a bone saw or patience.

Cyrus
11-05-2018, 06:15 PM
A Dewalt 20v lithium ion reciprocating saw. Goes through very easy.

RyoTHC
11-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Large size havalon bone saw cuts through everything and anything. I've chopped up large bears, bucks and numerous other animals. It's my go to for skull capping deer as well.

Bustercluck
11-05-2018, 06:34 PM
I pack a small gerber in my pack that works ok in a pinch, but nothing worth writing home about. The slickest thing I've seen is a reciprocating saw but pretty expensive to use once a year. I've been thinking about buying one of those bow saw type meat saws from cabelas.

Avalanche123
11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Wyoming saw for me. But as some said, you can do a lot with a pruning saw too.
Only I ever need a saw for is to split the sternum and remove a skull plate (antlers attached) if and when required.
Bottom line it needs to be light weight and very packable.

westcoaster
11-05-2018, 07:59 PM
So a specialized saw for hunting isn't necessary per se?

Only if you want to spend the bling on one.
I use a cheap hand saw from home depot for field work. Use it on 3-4 animals, pitch it and get another. A hand saw for bones is just another "consumable" item like plastic bags and rope.

quadrakid
11-05-2018, 08:02 PM
a brand new bahco handsaw.

Sitkaspruce
11-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Don't need one if you use the gutless method. Why waste time sawing through any bone when you can cut and bone out an animal quickly and easily.

With that said, I do carry a Wyoming saw for cutting small trees etc. from the trail.

Cheers

SS

dak0ta
11-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Got a vid of the gutless method? I thought you open up the sternum and pelvis and just cut the trachea and diaphragm and pull everything out the rear end. That was easy enough, it's easier?

Also what's the best way to saw off the top of the skull with the antlers?

srthomas75
11-05-2018, 08:58 PM
crappy tire will have their mastercrap brand handsaw on sale for 5 or 6$ every now and then. 14" long I think. I keep one in my quad bike for handy purposes.

bcsteve
11-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Those folding Japanese pruning saws. Lee Valley sells them.
Silky saws. Love them. Got a folding one with a coarse blade for wood and a fine blade for bone in the pack. I have another larger fixed blade one in the quad.

Fella
11-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Someone gave me a folding Gerber bone saw.

Harvest the Land
11-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Silky Gomboy. Cuts fast, smooth, effortlessly. Doesn't rust if it gets wet and you forget to dry it off. Lightweight. Blade bends well (instead of snapping)Orange handle is nice

willyqbc
11-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Best thing I have ever used is the wyoming saw http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

Have had mine for over a decade, done brisket, ribs, pelvis, cut out antlers, on more moose, elk, deer than I can recall, Have even split moose north/south right through the spine no problem. have also used the wood blade lots cutting small blowdowns out of a trail etc. Still using the original blades that come with it, breaks down nicely for packing, but is still extremely sturdy.

HIGHLY reccomned!

Chris

HarryToolips
11-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Small folding saw.....

35rem
11-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Fetotomy wire. Super light and flexible. Good for bone, not so good for branches etc.

Yuritau
11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Large size havalon bone saw cuts through everything and anything. I've chopped up large bears, bucks and numerous other animals. It's my go to for skull capping deer as well.

I only had to see one in use one time to decide I had to have one. Lightweight, cuts FAST, blades are replaceable.

saskbooknut
11-06-2018, 03:37 PM
I have had a folding "What a Saw" for 40 years. Never needed more.

okas
11-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Best thing I have ever used is the wyoming saw http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm

Have had mine for over a decade, done brisket, ribs, pelvis, cut out antlers, on more moose, elk, deer than I can recall, Have even split moose north/south right through the spine no problem. have also used the wood blade lots cutting small blowdowns out of a trail etc. Still using the original blades that come with it, breaks down nicely for packing, but is still extremely sturdy.

HIGHLY reccomned!

Chris X2 I hade and still have one for years bought extra blades still hanging on the wall in the hunting trailer . It is a great belt as puts pressure on my lower back carry my knife and axe and stone on the belt as well

Rieber
11-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Sthil - the ultimate multi purpose tool.