PDA

View Full Version : Someone Else's Bullet in Your Game

skibum
11-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Found a puss surrounded, undersized bullet in the bottom shank of the bear I took last week. Had a buddy find a healed over bullet in the hind quarter of a moose he took.

You guys find the odd bullet while cutting up your game?

Rhyno
11-04-2018, 05:14 PM
I shot an old bull elk in the peace years ago. He had a bullet hole in his scapula and 2 bullets lodged in there that had long since healed over. They are tough buggers.

srupp
11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Hmm yes on a couple grizzlies..
My 2016 moose had a bullet hole through his one headgear..
Steven

Ron.C
11-04-2018, 06:02 PM
I found a broadhead in a blacktail bucks shoulder about 10 years ago. Looked like it had been there for at leat a year.

LuckyHorseshoe
11-04-2018, 06:18 PM
I had taken a friend to my go to spot, he poked a nice 4x3 across a ravine about 300 yds off. We waited a couple mins after the shot, I had watched him drop in his tracks. Get over there and no deer, slide marks down the steep slope......then nothing. No snow for tracking, no blood, searched until dark. Next weekend another friend shoots the deer, it has a big piece of shrapnel in the skin on his neck just behind the head. Best we can figure is the week before the shot went overtop and the ricochet knocked that deer out as he was on quite a steep slope.

Bugle M In
11-04-2018, 07:29 PM
3 elk.
1 capsulized in the neck
1 in the hind lower area
1 thru the ear.

Buckmeister
11-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Saw this on the "Love to Hunt" FB page. Bone regrown around an arrow!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ILoveToHunt/photos/a.1763444580566491/2262525630658381/?type=3&theater

45freezer
11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Found a few pieces of birdshot in a black bear, not sure if he got caught stealing some picnic baskets or what but I've been curious about it ever since.

todbartell
11-04-2018, 08:54 PM
35 cal Barnes TSX in the hip of an elk we took once. Was in a pocket of clear fluid

butcher
11-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Found a broad head in a deer’s spine. Completely healed and bone grown over it. Ran the dang thing through my bandsaw. Wish I had kept pics.

Rattler
11-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Found bullets on multiple bull elk. They are amazingly tough animals

Boner
11-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Had a pus pocket that ended at a broken rib with a round indent. Bullet must have not opened up and moose worked it out.

Ltbullken
11-04-2018, 11:23 PM
1 moose with a bullet lodged encapsulated in upper spine bones in the neck.

1 elk with a bullet encapsulated in the shoulder.

Quite shocked about this. Makes you wonder about those stories of hunter swearing hey hit the animal but could not locate it. Also, maybe guys taking long shots with inadequate caliber/bullets for the job.

Razor84
11-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Lots of shit poor hunters/shooters out there, like Dino

butthead
11-05-2018, 05:37 AM
i shot a deer twice.
when i was capping it out
had an extra entry exit wound a little aft of the vitals
was talking with a guy at the fish and game banquete
and he had shot a deer and lost it the day before i got mine
may have been the same deer

Buckmeister
11-05-2018, 09:07 AM
About 7 years ago or so I took a buddy out to get a deer. He had just put one down when we heard a shot no more than 100 yards away. Two minutes later this fellow in a Tracker passes us, saying he just saw a nice buck, shot at it, but missed, the deer got away. Something didn't seem right about the fellow and he was eager to keep moving. About a week later I took another friend out to get his 1st Mule deer, we were in the same area as the previous week. Found a buck right away, but I noticed it didn't seem to be using it's left front leg. After buddy put it down with a single broadside heart shot, we discovered an entry wound in the left shoulder. This is what we saw when you lifted that leg. Leg bone was broken in two as well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scotts_buck_2.png

sawmill
11-05-2018, 09:15 AM
One big black bear with a facefull of birdshot and a busted out canine and a whitie 5x5 with a bullet furrow on it`s ass and a shot off G3, looked like a failed Texas heartshot.

tayleoscar
11-05-2018, 11:27 AM
I was butchering up my blacktail the other night and found a pellet in his ass end

Grizz.325
11-05-2018, 11:35 AM
The bull elk I shot this fall had an old broad head in its front shoulder. The broad head went through the shoulder blade maybe 5 inches but not far enough to enter body cavity. Was fully healed over and all the carbon from the shaft was mostly disintegrated and it was all encased in a membrane. Out of the same shoulder I also pulled out multiple lead fragments from a rifle shot that looked to be from the same time period. They also were encased in a membrane and were being pushed to the surface.
I shot that bull in the front shoulder he spun and I hit his other front shoulder destroying the bone and that bugger still ran 80 yrds before I was able to take him down with a spine shot. They r incrediblely tough animals to put down at times.

BRvalley
11-05-2018, 11:35 AM
have found #7 shot in quite a few grouse breasts, haven't found anything in my bigger game yet

walks with deer
11-05-2018, 03:03 PM
found 4 different sizes of shot in one goose...

Camotoes
11-05-2018, 03:30 PM
2 times on elk.

One had 2 .30cal bullets of an unknown brand in it from at least one season prior. One on the shoulder blade and one up against a rib on the same side, they were completely encased in tissue and the bull showed no signs of injury.

and another young bull with a perfectly mushroomed .338 cal Barnes X up against the shoulder blade, it broke a partial hole in the bone but did not penetrate beyond that point. this time the wound was clearly only a few weeks old but amazingly the animal still showed no signs of a prior injury.

Elk are tough critters

Bigdoggdon
11-06-2018, 01:54 AM
My very first deer (2pt blacktail) that I shot when I was 12 years old was standing on a bluff just above the road about 30 yards away. The deer was facing straight on so I went for a neck shot being such close range. One shot dropped him in his tracks. Dad and I walked up to him and Dad says "You shot his leg off?" Umm no... there's the hole in his neck, we looked a little closer, one front leg gone below the knee the wound had completely healed up around his shoulder with the leg bone sticking out to the knee and completely bleached white. other than that he looked healthy. I shot him in Mid-November, we figured someone had winged him in early September.

Sharpish
11-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Jesus that would make for a shitty 6 weeks .... amazing the pain they can tolerate.

skinarama
11-06-2018, 12:41 PM
A few years back, I harvested a really decent black bear out in the middle of nowhere. I butchered it myself, and made hams out of the rear quarters. Well, we invited some family over to try the bear ham, and as I'm slicing it at the dinner table, my knife hits something inside the meat and makes a "clink" sound. I managed to dig out a bullet and couldn't believe this bear didn't limp, or have a scar. What really blew me away, was that another hunter had shot this bear before me - I mean he was miles from any roads or civilization! Family still talks about the "ham" story every time we have ham.

okas
11-06-2018, 06:17 PM
One big black bear with a facefull of birdshot and a busted out canine and a whitie 5x5 with a bullet furrow on it`s ass and a shot off G3, looked like a failed Texas heartshot.
Texas Heart shot last time I head that was from old All in Creston

j270wsm
11-06-2018, 07:34 PM
while gutting my son's elk this yr, we discovered the top of the lungs were grown into scar tissue that went from the ribs on one side along the spine over to the opposite ribs. We found 5" of crossbow bolt in the scar tissue and another 2-3" embedded alone the spine not in scar tissue. If the shot was 2" higher or lower it probably would have parralized him or got enough lung to kill him.

ekul246
11-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Enjoying this thread. Some cool pics too

11-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Years ago 3-17 was so lucky to take a 2 pt. MD 1 1/2 hours after arriving in our spot for a 4 day hunt. Buck down and skinned its 9 am opening day. At 1:45 Im so fortunate to drop a nice 4 or so yr old Bull moose. What a day. Went home on day 2 of our 4 day hunt.....20 degrees plus mid day.
I shoot a lot of .308 win...... While home butchering Bullwinkle.....a .22 cal bullet is found in a front shoulder in the meat along the blade bone. No infection at all.
What kind of idiot shoots at a Bull Moose and shoulder area with what looked like a L or LRifle bullet.
The things some people do.
CT

blackbart
11-06-2018, 11:04 PM
There is a real problem with a certain segment of our society using .22 for the hunting of big game. We need to let the Politicians know that the CO's should be able to enforce this regardless of race.

two-feet
11-07-2018, 03:49 PM
The small bull moose we got last year had its jaw hanging and tounge split in half. My buddy that shot it said it was feeding and drinking from the lake right before the shot. Im still confused

Rieber
11-07-2018, 04:05 PM
"found 4 different sizes of shot in one goose..."

This is custom load shells that fill the voids between larger shot. Or just a high flying goose that tempted fate one too many times.

Wild one
11-07-2018, 05:04 PM
4 bears with birdshot, another with a hole in his lower front leg, and a blacktail with a piece of a broad head blade in his shoulder

Seems like more hunters need to practice/shoot within their skill level then I would have thought with the number of stories coming out. Now how many are just not found

MichelD
11-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Found a .22 bullet in a big buck's neck one time and last year my wife said it looked like the bear I brought home had been shot and had it's front leg broken and healed over.

john-brennan
11-07-2018, 08:30 PM
I shot a blacktail with a .224 cal bullet in the hind leg

butthead
11-07-2018, 09:02 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

butthead
11-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Found a .22 bullet in a big buck's neck one time and last year my wife said it looked like the bear I brought home had been shot and had it's front leg broken and healed over.

you bring home the bear
wife goes out and skins it out
NICE.

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
damm i have been doing it backwards she hunts while i am at work than she makes me skin

Wild one
11-08-2018, 11:25 AM
damm i have been doing it backwards she hunts while i am at work than she makes me skin

I feel your pain then add in that I have to drag it out of the bush most of the time as well

wideopenthrottle
11-08-2018, 12:14 PM
family got a deer when i was a kid and when eating it we found a perfect intact 22 slug.....About 20 years ago we were hunting MD near gang...everyone got nice 4x4's or 3x4s but one of the guys got a 6x5 .....when he opened it up to gut it there was a 2 inch diameter tube of pus inside the ribs...this deer had been previously shot while facing the shooter...the bullet entered in the front of the chest and traveled along the ribcage missing everything vital before exiting where the ribs end....This buck was chasing does when shot and looked perfectly normal

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 08:47 PM
well proud mine got it loaded..lol...
i taught her the tailgate manover...

she only shoots uphill while i am at work..lol.
she has nicer guns than i do aswell..not kidding

Opinionated Ol Phart
11-08-2018, 09:10 PM
One mashed .22 in the neck healed over and 8 #6 pellets in the shoulder of a blacktail 2x3 also healed over.

Wild one
11-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Mine is too weak so she relays on knowing when family or friends are close if she goes solo lol

At least she stays close to the road

walks with deer
11-08-2018, 09:44 PM
heard stories from dad and family but other than fowl never for me..
that said i did shoot a buck with my bow that had 5 hooves...2 others with big warts.. all with bad holes in them i saw the hole made before i shot..

Drillbit
11-09-2018, 01:38 AM
One of the wolves I shot last year had a snare around it's neck.
frayed cable 4" from the cam lock.

Rieber
11-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Okay - I'll bite, what is this "tailgate maneuver"?

RadHimself
11-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Back into ditch.... drag into truck box

hence the “only shoots up hill when im gone”

Gone_Fishin_
11-09-2018, 10:13 AM
A couple years ago out with a buddy who dropped a nice 6'5" Black Bear during spring. Gutless method and a 8 hour carry out. We ended up going back in the fall to the same area in search of Blacktails and checked out the bone pile from the bear. At first I thought I found the bullet lodged into his spine but turned out to be a 3 blade fixed broadhead. The bone had completely grown around it and healed. 3 vertebrates were seized together and healed on about a 25 degree angle. I have no idea how this guy was able to walk, the pain he must have been in I couldn't imagine. This was also about 5km from the nearest road.

Found bird shot loaded into the rear end of a bear buddy got one time when helping him skin. I said to my friend hey check this out, then he says yea, there is this yellow tag in its ear too with a phone number on it? Turned out it was a problem bear and was relocated. Never did follow up with him but last I heard it was brought out the year before so wasn't any worries on tainted meat with any drugs or anything.

Numerous ducks and geese with old shot in them and healed around it. A .22 cal lodged into the breast of a goose one time.

LEH doe with a perfect healed bullet hole through the ear.