PDA

View Full Version : Need help and info!!

Oate5
11-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Hello,

I am wanting to set something up in region 4 for an annual trip to make from Vancouver island. I dont know much about the areas or infastructure out that way for hunting. Anyone on here I can get in touch with to ask questions? :)

Im looking for info on accomodation? If I was to camp what are good areas to camp without being harassed? Areas of the region that will have elk, moose, whitetail, muleys and or turkey etc. Etc..

Not looking for your honey holes. Just an idea of how it works out there.

thanks in advance.

m.oate5@outlook.com is my email.

Bustercluck
11-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Google maps is your friend. Pick a spot and go check it out. Make sure u have a back up spot or two.

Oate5
11-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Thank you bustercluck. I use my ihunter map constantly and its great. I have heard that elk are more populated in the lower regions of region 4 and if you want moose, you need to go north further, is this true?

I am leaning towards 4-3, 4-4 area. I would love some local input on that area if anyone can help!

mike31154
11-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Check the regs. but I'm fairly certain elk season ended a couple weeks ago. Long haul from the island to that area just for a scouting expedition. If you're driving via the Kootenay pass, be prepared for serious winter conditions, a possible delay if they close it. Plenty of small towns along the highway down there, but it's still pretty remote & wild once off the main roads. Can be a long way between open fuel stations so plan for that as well, particularly if traveling in the evening.

Kootenaykid85
11-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Its a big province dude. with alot better better hunting for elk, moose, whitetail, muleys and or turkey etc. Etc.. elsewhere................... region 4 needs a break from doe and spike shooters.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Check the regs. but I'm fairly certain elk season ended a couple weeks ago. Long haul from the island to that area just for a scouting expedition. If you're driving via the Kootenay pass, be prepared for serious winter conditions, a possible delay if they close it. Plenty of small towns along the highway down there, but it's still pretty remote & wild once off the main roads. Can be a long way between open fuel stations so plan for that as well, particularly if traveling in the evening.

No this would be next year at the earliest. Trying to get as much info before heading out. (I like to do my homework).

Oate5
11-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Its a big province dude. with alot better better hunting for elk, moose, whitetail, muleys and or turkey etc. Etc.. elsewhere................... region 4 needs a break from doe and spike shooters.

It is a huge province. I have done enough looking and reading to know that region 4 is the area I want to go to.

Im not interested in putting forward all the effort to come out that way for does and "spikers". If I want small animals ill stay on the island.

Kootenaykid85
11-04-2018, 11:54 AM
It is a huge province. I have done enough looking and reading to know that region 4 is the area I want to go to.

Im not interested in putting forward all the effort to come out that way for does and "spikers". If I want small animals ill stay on the island.

what have you been reading??? what makes region 4 for the place to go for you? I am born and raised region 4 close to 40 years stomping around these woods and I now find myself doing research on other places to hunt.....do you see what im getting at

Wild one
11-04-2018, 12:11 PM
what have you been reading??? what makes region 4 for the place to go for you? I am born and raised region 4 close to 40 years stomping around these woods and I now find myself doing research on other places to hunt.....do you see what im getting at

Hate to say it but region 4 is still one of the better areas to hunt

The bigger issue is game is declining in most of BC and BC hunters have been running around looking for that magic place with good numbers for sometime.

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Our family goes to the area 4 every year and do quite well this year was no exception ? hunting is just that sometimes you get em sometimes you don't, but please stay out of area 3 with your research, there's no animals left there as all the area 4 guys go hunting there now during the any buck season and shoot all the spikers :wink:

:roll:......

Wild one
11-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Stay out of region 6 too moose are declining and the last ones are for locals only lol

Bugle M In
11-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Definitely want to stay further south then here I go up there.
That being said, you will hit more hunters by a long shot as well.
Further north you go, generally the less hunters there are.
Elk #'s appear to be getting low so it's a crap shoot.
Been up there for 35 years now, and I am looking elsewhere for next season, so, I am no different then you,
if I stay in EK, it will be a "learning curve" again.
If your young, that's not an issue, so just pick a spot, and walk, lots!
Again, south end has more elk, but more hunters.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 12:47 PM

I understand. Its the vast variety the area has to offer. Also the fact that I have a better chance of being struck by lightning holding a 50 million dollar lottery ticket in my hand as it happens before I ever get an elk tag on Vancouver island.

Looking for bigger game that can fill my family freezer for the year as well as expand my hunting experience and outdoor knowledge.

Any help is appreciated and negativity discarded :)

Oate5
11-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Definitely want to stay further south then here I go up there.
That being said, you will hit more hunters by a long shot as well.
Further north you go, generally the less hunters there are.
Elk #'s appear to be getting low so it's a crap shoot.
Been up there for 35 years now, and I am looking elsewhere for next season, so, I am no different then you,
if I stay in EK, it will be a "learning curve" again.
If your young, that's not an issue, so just pick a spot, and walk, lots!
Again, south end has more elk, but more hunters.

Thank you! Info im looking for :)

Bustercluck
11-04-2018, 12:48 PM
On my first trip off of the island, I looked for an leh with good odds and figured I'd sort the rest out when I got there. I've done that a few times now. Once I got the leh I started looking for ways to access it and made my first, second and third places to check out. The hard part is getting strangers to share their hunting spots with new people. I've asked questions on here about specific roads that may be open or closed and I also contacted a couple of forestry offices about active logging roads and certain bridges being intact.

Maybe this helps, maybe not.

Bustercluck
11-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Does it seem like most of the elk leh on the island are given to people on the mainland. I only know of a few "locals" that have won them.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 01:02 PM
On my first trip off of the island, I looked for an leh with good odds and figured I'd sort the rest out when I got there. I've done that a few times now. Once I got the leh I started looking for ways to access it and made my first, second and third places to check out. The hard part is getting strangers to share their hunting spots with new people. I've asked questions on here about specific roads that may be open or closed and I also contacted a couple of forestry offices about active logging roads and certain bridges being intact.

Maybe this helps, maybe not.

That seems like a good way of not only getting meat in the freezer but also a ton of experience. Thanks for the idea!

Oate5
11-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Does it seem like most of the elk leh on the island are given to people on the mainland. I only know of a few "locals" that have won them.

This year wasnt too bad for locals getting tags. But yeah in years past its been like that.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Our family goes to the area 4 every year and do quite well this year was no exception ? hunting is just that sometimes you get em sometimes you don't, but please stay out of area 3 with your research, there's no animals left there as all the area 4 guys go hunting there now during the any buck season and shoot all the spikers :wink:

:roll:......

Having a hard time understanding your tone with this comment! Sarcasm or no? LOL but i do appreciate the info. I know someone who tagged a monster white tail in region 3!

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Having a hard time understanding your tone with this comment! Sarcasm or no? LOL but i do appreciate the info. I know someone who tagged a monster white tail in region 3!

Not sarcastic about hunting area 4 our family goes every year and we always do well,

and yes very sarcastic about area 4 guys hunting area 3 :mrgreen:

Bugle M In
11-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Actually, I am amazed how over the past few years R4 guys have been coming down to R3.
But then again, after the weeks up, a lot of the R4 guys say they will stay in R4 the next year, no bs either.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Actually, I am amazed how over the past few years R4 guys have been coming down to R3.
But then again, after the weeks up, a lot of the R4 guys say they will stay in R4 the next year, no bs either.

Grass isnt always greener is it?

Oate5
11-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Not sarcastic about hunting area 4 our family goes every year and we always do well,

and yes very sarcastic about area 4 guys hunting area 3 :mrgreen:

Right on haha. Thats the vibe I got.

Kootenaykid85
11-04-2018, 02:31 PM
A good hour of reading and searching on here would make anyone pretty keen on where to go, so I just dont understand why you would askkkkk.

Bugle M In
11-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Oate5

Truth is you are a new member (only a few posts)
If you were asking about a coveted once in a lifetime LEH draw and looking for info from members, you will
be surprised how many folks will help thru pm's to get the most out of the tag and potential success.
When it comes to something like where's a good spot in the EK for GOS type hunts, you will quickly
realize you are on your own.
Sometimes a retired hunter or someone who used to have a spot but no longer uses it anymore, may help with
some advice.
But, don't be surprised by others here, most in fact, telling you to do your own homework.

My thoughts are this:
Look for any "Studies done by the Ministry" over the years, depending on which game you are most interested in.
You will find "collaring projects" that can give you some ideas as to "where the are", especially closer to winter,
but some studies will be conducted longer term, so you can get an idea "on movement".
Remember however, these aren't "classified/top secret" documents.
Anyone can see them, and it's not a new concept I am presenting to you.
So, if anyone can get their hands on it, then expect that those areas will have more hunters.
Also, if they bothered to do the studies in a given area, it is because that area generally is known to have higher concentrations of that species to begin with.

Hope that helps, and have a good season, good luck.

Oate5
11-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Oate5

Truth is you are a new member (only a few posts)
If you were asking about a coveted once in a lifetime LEH draw and looking for info from members, you will
be surprised how many folks will help thru pm's to get the most out of the tag and potential success.
When it comes to something like where's a good spot in the EK for GOS type hunts, you will quickly
realize you are on your own.
Sometimes a retired hunter or someone who used to have a spot but no longer uses it anymore, may help with
some advice.
But, don't be surprised by others here, most in fact, telling you to do your own homework.

My thoughts are this:
Look for any "Studies done by the Ministry" over the years, depending on which game you are most interested in.
You will find "collaring projects" that can give you some ideas as to "where the are", especially closer to winter,
but some studies will be conducted longer term, so you can get an idea "on movement".
Remember however, these aren't "classified/top secret" documents.
Anyone can see them, and it's not a new concept I am presenting to you.
So, if anyone can get their hands on it, then expect that those areas will have more hunters.
Also, if they bothered to do the studies in a given area, it is because that area generally is known to have higher concentrations of that species to begin with.

Hope that helps, and have a good season, good luck.

Thanks for giving it to me straight, I am assuming that my original post may have unintentionally came across with the wrong intent. Im not looking for "spots". What I am wondering is how it works out in region 4. I love to find the animals on my own and start my own adventures. But i would hate to start on this adventure at the wrong end of the spectrum.

Like I would hate to start this expedition looking for moose in the south east corner of the region when they are actually.north west.

On vancouver island we have a huge area of forest that 75% is gated off. So if someone was ask the same question I have asked about here(vancouver island). I would do my best to point them in the right direction so they can at least get boots on the ground and hunt. Rather than drive around finding lock gates everywhere. In the end, getting frustrated and giving up or going home with nothing. It's a far distance to travel being completely blind.

LBM
11-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks for giving it to me straight, I am assuming that my original post may have unintentionally came across with the wrong intent. Im not looking for "spots". What I am wondering is how it works out in region 4. I love to find the animals on my own and start my own adventures. But i would hate to start on this adventure at the wrong end of the spectrum.

Like I would hate to start this expedition looking for moose in the south east corner of the region when they are actually.north west.

On vancouver island we have a huge area of forest that 75% is gated off. So if someone was ask the same question I have asked about here(vancouver island). I would do my best to point them in the right direction so they can at least get boots on the ground and hunt. Rather than drive around finding lock gates everywhere. In the end, getting frustrated and giving up or going home with nothing. It's a far distance to travel being completely blind.

South east has some very good moose areas

dana
11-04-2018, 05:53 PM
When it comes to camping spots, the backroads map books are by far the best resource. I've always been a hardcopy guy but I believe the digital versions allow you to bluedot on your phone.

301winmag
11-04-2018, 06:05 PM
To they people trying to help the guy that's great that is what this site is about

Oate5
11-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Thank you everyone. Although the info provided was a bit limited, I am please with the ones who did offer up some advice and tips. Tp you, Thank you!!

Oate5
11-05-2018, 07:59 PM
When it comes to camping spots, the backroads map books are by far the best resource. I've always been a hardcopy guy but I believe the digital versions allow you to bluedot on your phone.

Yes i was unaware about digital version! Thats cool