PDA

View Full Version : Whitetails penticton Osoyoos rock creek

Steelpulse
11-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Planning a whitetail hunt probably this region that’s 8-1/8-12. I understand there’s whitetails around here from what I’ve read on here. I have a plan and a pretty good idea of what I’m doing, but am open to pm’s on some specifics. Although I have no issue going in blind to this area. From Ontario I know whitetails and one look at google earth pretty much says where they should be paired up with knowledge from here.

Thanks in advance for any info will post pics when I get one

358mag
11-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Welcome to BC

Mt Blady region would be a great place to start , get away from a the road- quad traffic hope for a bit of snow and enjoy your hunt .

Steelpulse
11-03-2018, 07:54 PM
It been a bc er for 10 years now and dropped more than a few mulies bears moose and goat. Haven’t nailed a whitetail out here though and already got my 4 point.

boxhitch
11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
.........Although I have no issue going in blind to this area. .......good plan right there. A blind is a good way to hunt wt

Steelpulse
11-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Haha I meant going into the area blind. I’m not the biggest fan of stand/blind hunting. I’m a still hunter/tracker of the deers

11-03-2018, 09:53 PM
good plan right there. A blind is a good way to hunt wt

Goodin Box.... I like it !

I concur.....Going in Blind is a good idea.......

Redthies
11-04-2018, 03:01 AM
I’ve spent a fair bit of time in that area (we used to have 100+ acres between Beaverdell and Rock Cr). Lots of deer around there but the further east you go, the more WT you’ll see. At least that’s been my experience over the past 3-4 seasons.

Wild one
11-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Haha I meant going into the area blind. I’m not the biggest fan of stand/blind hunting. I’m a still hunter/tracker of the deers

Know a few guys from Northern Ontario and they figured out BC WT act different then what they are use to. We assume it’s the longer seasons, lower density and presidents of mule deer. They also noticed BC WT are way more pocket orientated. Only trick these boys had that works well with the correct partners was dogging WT as a group. These guys all grew up still hunting/tracking and deer drives.

Tracking/still hunting can work but depends on the hunter/location. With the pressure increase in BC many WT moved into thicker bush that is tough or not possible to still hunt. Then add in at times it’s just a small pocket sometimes still hunting is a poor choice. Personally I would add rattling/doe bleats to your still hunting and keep it really slow

Don’t let your pride stop you from sitting and calling if you stumble on the right spot

Parts of 8-12/8-01 are very pocket oriented for WT and like was posted farther east is better. Good starting points looking for WT is creek/river drainage and around lakes. Ravines with large flatter bottoms and the base of steeper hills in more mountainous areas

good luck if you have enough snow lower elevation drainages can get really good

Steelpulse
11-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Oh ya don’t get me wrong. I’ll use all the whitetail tactics necessary to take down a buck be that calling or standing for a while. I just much prefer to track and still hunt. Thanks for the tips so far

deerhunter123
11-13-2018, 06:50 PM
look for draws above creeks or with a few trees in them, they act as a travel corridor, sitting and waiting is your best bet... Good Luck out there, N.M.