PDA

View Full Version : Blocking road with camp

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 10:40 AM
We have a moose camp set up in 8-11....while driving to another area we frequently hunt, we came across 3 older gentlemen who had plunked their camp right in the middle of the road, blocking access to miles and miles of good hunting ground. we asked them to move their camp and that we were going to come back in a few hours to go thru. we called the co's and went back to our camp for lunch. upon returning to go by their camp they had not moved an inch. the guy in the picture, was extremely ignorant, and made all sorts of whiney excuses about why they put their camp there. he literally had the balls to say "there is no where else to camp" and that its too windy in that more open spot 100 yards from their camp. his two buddies were much less vocal and we could tell that they knew they were wrong, but this one asshole here in the picture did not want to move his camp. we finally decided that we were going to move it for him and started taking down his tarp. for those of you who are going to say we shouldnt have touched their shit, I say too friggen bad...they are blocking a road, and we were going thru. The ol guy finally decided he better just help us and so we all slid his little trailer over about 4 feet so we could get thru. once we went by them to go hunt in the area they had blocked off, they did move over another couple feet, but still camped on the road, making it extremely uncomfortable for anyone else to go by.

I have decided to share these pics in the hopes that if anyone knows these guys, that you have a talk with them and maybe let them know that they were wrong. also for those people who think the young generation are the asshole hunters, I think this proves that assholes come in all ages.

also we did notify co's before we came back to go thru

https://imgur.com/a/Y3YP6HM
the younger guy in the pic with the beard was with me

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Also we were non violent and non threatening, however we were extremely pissed and were not overly friendly.

RackStar
11-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Are you serious?
Bahahaha
what a bunch of idiots

RackStar
11-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Who would even WANT to camp there. It looks like a horrible spot

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Who would even WANT to camp there. It looks like a horrible spot
Yeah but it got them some nice hunting grounds all to themselves

Carrollizer
11-02-2018, 11:12 AM
That's actually ******ed. Glad you did something about these idiots in a legal fashion

RyoTHC
11-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Glad I'm not the only one ! Was heading into one of my favorite spots in 3-13 last weekend, turn a bend on the main FSR that leads into the valleys I hike to and there are two trucks reversed tightly beside each other blocking the entire road, with no way past otherwise... They are lucky that I didn't have my winch or they may have found their trucks at the bottom of a hill... I did take pictures and forward them to the COs... Didn't take me long to figure out who owned the trucks... I'm pretty sure one is a member on this site... So if you read this... Count your blessings it was me who found your truck and not someone less civil :)

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 11:27 AM
friggen brutal, who do these assholes think they are...

HappyJack
11-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Glad I'm not the only one ! Was heading into one of my favorite spots in 3-13 last weekend, turn a bend on the main FSR that leads into the valleys I hike to and there are two trucks reversed tightly beside each other blocking the entire road, with no way past otherwise... They are lucky that I didn't have my winch or they may have found their trucks at the bottom of a hill... I did take pictures and forward them to the COs... Didn't take me long to figure out who owned the trucks... I'm pretty sure one is a member on this site... So if you read this... Count your blessings it was me who found your truck and not someone less civil :)

Exactly why I carry a nice length of chain.

Fella
11-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I don’t get it. Are people actually missing animals because there are other hunters in the general area and so they feel the need to block roads?

Bugle M In
11-02-2018, 11:58 AM
What a bunch of A**holes!
I am actually surprised you could get those pics with them being present.
You did absolutely the right thing!
Good on you, and I would do the same.
Not sure how polite me and some of my buddies would have been, but they would know this was not going to go
un-noticed.
I have heard several such incidents of late from friends, all over the province.
Can Believe it!

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 12:01 PM
What a bunch of A**holes!
I am actually surprised you could get those pics with them being present.
You did absolutely the right thing!
Good on you, and I would do the same.
Not sure how polite me and some of my buddies would have been, but they would know this was not going to go
un-noticed.
I have heard several such incidents of late from friends, all over the province.
Can Believe it!

the first interaction we were somewhat reserved and let them know they were wrong and needed to move, the next time we came back, we were definitely not polite, but also non violent

Big Lew
11-02-2018, 12:01 PM
It's a good thing selfish and ignorant people like those are not the norm.
My wife and I came upon a similar scenario many years ago. A large group of young people
had not only set up a camp, but had also built a large campfire right in the middle of a major
through road that led to many other roads, a fishing camp, and private property. One of their
party had actually tried to drive around their camp by using a narrow side road, and in doing
so had rolled his newish truck just above their camp. When we came onto the scene it was obvious
most of the young people were in various stages of drunkenness. Only after threatening to drive
over their gear did they clear a path for us. We came back out a couple of days later and were
relieved they had left but were horrified by all the garbage and mess they had left. What was puzzling
to us was how far they had come from a major highway just to party....literally a couple of hours of driving.

whitlers
11-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Some people eh. That's crazy

mpotzold
11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Been hunting since 65 & only 2x came across hunters intentionally blocking the road intersection with vehicles & with vehicles + camp. In both cases managed to drive around by clearing a path.

One time at the Gang a guy parked his vehicle at 90 deg blocking only 1/2 of the road. We drove around & met the guy road hunting by foot. His excuse was that he wanted hunters know that he was there.
The other times the hunters gave us a dirty look on our way back.

One of the reasons I always carry sat. phone, GPS, cameras nowadays.
Intentional road block- report it to a CO asap.

tayleoscar
11-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Wow!! That's unreal, I've com across to camps like that on the island, it's a huge pissoff for sure!!!!! Glad you reported it!

Bugle M In
11-02-2018, 02:11 PM
the first interaction we were somewhat reserved and let them know they were wrong and needed to move, the next time we came back, we were definitely not polite, but also non violent

I know of one time where a road was blocked, not too long ago.
The one fellow blocked a road, due to the other group continuously hounding other hunters by driving at 80 kms
an hr up and down every road (I believe it was their hunting tactic, to catch deer quickly on the roads).
But they ended up on many folks bumpers, day in day out, and heard plenty of complaints.
Anyways, guy blocks road about a klick from the end, that other group decided to get back at him by
blocking the road so he couldn't get out!
1 guy, with wife and 2 small kids, against 5 or 6 family members, not good!
So, original blocker was asked to get out of truck, which you can understand he didn't.
Someone slashed a tire, which sounded like a gunshot
So he quickly whipped out the pepper spray, and a couple of the guys hit the ground full of spray!
Then, the guy takes his truck, puts it into drive, and slams thru the barricade of several vehicles!
His truck sustains too much damage to drive on, so out he goes, with rifle, and into the woods!
Finally calling RCMP.
Supposedly more gunshots fired? (but I cant verify it)

Sound like fun huh!!!
Tow truck comes in, to remove several vehicles that ended up being destroyed!

We now nickname the area "Demolition Bowl" when it comes to our hunting areas

Both parties were in the wrong, one by blocking, the others by acting they owned the area, and were forcing people to the side of the roads.

rocksteady
11-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Since you had your phone i would have video taped or voice recorded the whole conversation..

Public place, not an infringement on privacy, just may not be admissable in court (if they were not aware you were recording them, but let that be decided in court)

srupp
11-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Hmmm after the asshats who blocked my way into my camera..which was actually stolen..grrr cant believe these asshats..
Did you ever get reply from conservation officers. .
You did good.l cant open the picture here Ben..
However be careful..legally you cant touch their stuff. .some would get violent..others have you charged..
Glad they saw it correctly
Cheers
Stevej

willyqbc
11-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Saw this several times up here in the cariboo, particularly back when we had open any bull seasons. Came on one, one day that had a couple trailers and a couple trucks blocking a road into a huge area with many more side roads off of it. 1 set of tire tracks past the camp heading in. I noticed the tires on one of the travel trailers were flat....quick look and you could see every tire in camp was flat!! They had a pretty good size genny with little balloon tires and even those were flat!!! HaHa!! Didn't appear to have been slashed....just looked like someone let all the air out of them!! HaHa! I had plenty of other good spots, so just had a good laugh and went on my way!

Some folks just seem to have a sense of entitlement that is hard to comprehend!

Chris

Ubertuber
11-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Brutal.

We had something like this a couple years ago up North in area 7 while moose hunting. A few guys parked their pickup across the road and told us the bridge was out and the the road was not passable beyond this point. We knew the road went back for dozens of KM's, with multiple spurs, basins, and camp spots. We told them in no uncertain terms that they best move their truck and allow us to pass. Eventually they did and we continued on our way, but it took a lot of arguing. The funny part is, they thought they were in the right and that we were the assholes.
They were from Mission and probably frequent this site. Bunch of losers.

Ferenc
11-02-2018, 02:50 PM
How have the CO’s been towards this ....

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
The co dispatch lady said she would send someone up. Not sure if they came because I had to come down last night to work today. I’ll talk to the boys this weekend and post an update.

LBM
11-02-2018, 03:13 PM
The co dispatch lady said she would send someone up. Not sure if they came because I had to come down last night to work today. I’ll talk to the boys this weekend and post an update.

Ahh hunters and so many think its non-hunters that are the problem. will be interesting to see if the COs made it up there and what comes of it.
Seems to be a fair number of threads or posts on this sort of thing, road blocks, intitlement etc.
Heck even the mushroom pickers were fighting and threatening and blocking people in the EK this year saying its there area etc. still a couple of there cars left abanded in the bush,
not sure why they don't get charged for littering for that.

mod7rem
11-02-2018, 03:54 PM
A guy I know told me that when he gets to a road he wants to hunt (1st light), he doesn’t let anyone past his truck while he slowly road hunts it in his truck. He believes that the road is his to hunt now (road hunt) because he got there first, and people who don’t understand “hunting etiquette” are assholes.

People don’t just lay claim to areas. One story I heard is that a guy superficially wounded a big ram in the Kootenay’s recently, and while he was hunting for it, another hunter in the area came across it and killed it, not even realizing it had a superficial wound. Apparently the original shooter found the kill site and aggressively (just verbal) laid claim to “his” ram. Rumor has it the other guy relented not wanting to deal with the threats and bullshit, even after later being told by CO’s that the ram would legally be his and could be returned if he wanted to pursue it. Now if this story is true, what kind of entitled moron is willing to do that so he can put a ram on his wall that he didn’t even kill and may have never killed?
And I agree with previous poster that this isn’t really a hunter thing, more of a human nature thing when you have competition for things you like to do.

BCBUSHMONKEY
11-02-2018, 03:57 PM
what a bunch of goofs, glad you made them man up and move. fk they think they are...........natives

buckhunter76
11-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Ran into that 5 years ago and I was on the dead end side of the road for 5 days before that,no one was around camp we waited for an hour then I winched their truck and then the trailer down the road and off to the side, they must have been very confused when they came back.... common sense isn’t common anymore. Good on you for saying something

Vetteman
11-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Good for you guys. I would have done the same but probably in a less diplomatic way!

Mosin
11-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Ran into that problem in Princeton a mo the ago. Some European accent sounding older gentleman and a older woman. She was chopping wood for them the whole time lol

okas
11-02-2018, 04:25 PM
my trucks are built and I have no problem when younger just pushing them out of the way but now with all the cell phones pictures just can not do this stuff . YUP that's why I stayed home this year . THERE ARE JUST SO MANY STUPID PEPOLE OUT THERE it is not fun anymore . I have a new plan as hunting now .Very few people most time no one .Just look at all the country up the inlets along the coast all have old logging roads heading into the main land . Time to get set up and go back there again

Big Lew
11-02-2018, 06:23 PM
my trucks are built and I have no problem when younger just pushing them out of the way but now with all the cell phones pictures just can not do this stuff . YUP that's why I stayed home this year . THERE ARE JUST SO MANY STUPID PEPOLE OUT THERE it is not fun anymore . I have a new plan as hunting now .Very few people most time no one .Just look at all the country up the inlets along the coast all have old logging roads heading into the main land . Time to get set up and go back there again

As it's not that important to me anymore at my age, the actual killing of big game is not as important
as the trip itself. Consequently I choose to hunt in areas most others don't bother with. Of course my
chances are reduced, but I don't mind because I usually have the place to myself and don't have to put
up with the selfish morons etc. The last buck I shot was in an area where I saw several others, some
4 pt or better, saw quite a bit of recent sign, and not another hunter. They were all roaring by, sometimes
literally in caravans, on the main fsr that headed into far distant parts.

Arctic Lake
11-02-2018, 07:11 PM
It's called ENTITLEMENT ! Yep some people think they are entitled to everything for themselves ! Got to tell you it pisses me off as well ! Just remember to keep your cool fellas !
Arctic Lake

mpotzold
11-02-2018, 07:45 PM
It's called ENTITLEMENT ! Yep some people think they are entitled to everything for themselves ! Got to tell you it pisses me off as well ! Just remember to keep your cool fellas !
Arctic Lake

Fully agree. We avoid confrontations at all cost.

Take note of any illegal activity -what & where & report ASAP preferably when a safe distance away.

Wild one
11-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Seems to be a moose hunting thing. Came across this a few times over the years at various levels.

Ussally just told the group since you guys want a private spot I will leave you to it. After that I fall trees across the road on the way out

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Shit heads for sure ! It will be interesting to what the CO service does -says about it - I BET Nothing ! jmo RJ

Buckmeister
11-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Hmm, wouldn't blocking a road be considered interfering with your legal hunt? Which of course is an infraction. Some people never grow up from the brat they were when they were a kid.

Jagermeister
11-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Exactly why I carry a nice length of chain.
Actually, that is why I carry that little tool that removes the valve from the stem. Two does it, sometimes three. Most often they can pump the tires up, but they leak in a hurry without the valve. Treating ignorance with ignorance.

steel_ram
11-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Actually, that is why I carry that little tool that removes the valve from the stem. Two does it, sometimes three. Most often they can pump the tires up, but they leak in a hurry without the valve. Treating ignorance with ignorance.

Screwing with someone's vehicle in a wilderness is crossing the line, whether they were in the wrong or right. It could get someone killed! If I was to catch someone messing with my truck out in the wood, I would treat it as more than a little mischief.

Jagermeister
11-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Screwing with someone's vehicle in a wilderness is crossing the line, whether they were in the wrong or right. It could get someone killed! If I was to catch someone messing with my truck out in the wood, I would treat it as more than a little mischief.But then your truck would not be impeding anyone's movement along the right of way, right? So you just needed to beak off at something, right?

Jagermeister
11-02-2018, 09:11 PM
You know those guys that like to pass you when you're on your way out? The one's that pass and then slow down to a snails pace. I like to let them go by because the first vehicle to pass, particularly moose, is the vehicle that wakes the moose up from his snooze (most people think moose are nocturnal like deer, but they're not. Only in a full moon.) If you are a sufficient distance behind (what that distance is is happen-chance), you may encounter Barney staring in the direction of the blow-by vehicle. Had it happen once or twice, but have seen it happen more often. Of course a ten million candlepower or so light flashing off the trees will cause them to rise also. They think it's the dawning of a new day.

Redthies
11-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Luckily when you visit the profile page of a person who regularly “beaks off”, there is an “ignore user” button. If you click on it, you don’t have to read anymore stupid comments from that person. I just used that feature. I wonder if anyone can guess who’s page I visited?

mpotzold
11-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Screwing with someone's vehicle in a wilderness is crossing the line, whether they were in the wrong or right. It could get someone killed! If I was to catch someone messing with my truck out in the wood, I would treat it as more than a little mischief.

The way I also see it!
Unless it's a matter of life & death issue I would leave it to the authorities & heed their advice.

Caribou_lou
11-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Im guessinh road hunting is more productive when you the only ones able to drive into the area. Haha.

Im fine with guys camping infront of deactivated areas because you cant drive past their camp anyways . But if I want to hunt there ill walk past their camp and hunt. Maybe even stop in for coffee on my way back through. If they are in camp.

monasheemountainman
11-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Im guessinh road hunting is more productive when you the only ones able to drive into the area. Haha.

Im fine with guys camping infront of deactivated areas because you cant drive past their camp anyways . But if I want to hunt there ill walk past their camp and hunt. Maybe even stop in for coffee on my way back through. If they are in camp.

Yeah but when it’s 7 Kms to get through the thick shit into some prime country it’s not cool in my opinion

srupp
11-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Yeah but when it’s 7 Kms to get through the thick shit into some prime country it’s not cool in my opinion

No..no its not cool
Steven

okas
11-02-2018, 11:50 PM
I would never ever even think about blocking a road , it is risky enough just parked and going on foot into the timber as vandalism these days . Some of the best hunting is right off the pavement .

Jagermeister
11-03-2018, 12:28 AM
From this statement, "Actually, that is why I carry that little tool that removes the valve from the stem. Two does it, sometimes three. Most often they can pump the tires up, but they leak in a hurry without the valve. "
I draw this conclusion. If it offends you, then it can be concluded that you have been guilty of blocking the way so others may not proceed. Those that have not are the ones that are not offended by the statement because they know that they have not impeded someone else for there own selfish gain.

Good2bCanadian
11-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Dont touch others property out there. Blocking the road or not.
Premeditated carrying of a tire valve tool is f$%ked up.

steel_ram
11-03-2018, 08:55 AM
From this statement, "Actually, that is why I carry that little tool that removes the valve from the stem. Two does it, sometimes three. Most often they can pump the tires up, but they leak in a hurry without the valve. "
I draw this conclusion. If it offends you, then it can be concluded that you have been guilty of blocking the way so others may not proceed. Those that have not are the ones that are not offended by the statement because they know that they have not impeded someone else for there own selfish gain.

Wrong! Disabling someones vehicle could kill them. I have been the guy, who has returned to my truck cold and wet, injured and alone very dependent on having my vehicle functional. I don't block roads but I may have no idea why some truck might be in the middle of it. I suspect you don't walk much. Stealing valve stems or disabling vehicles in the wilderness is a A hole if not criminal move . . . . or maybe you were just spouting off.

Fella
11-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Blocking roads is a dick move for sure but how petty do you have to be to vandalize someone’s truck like a bratty teenager?

Jagermeister
11-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Did I say that I actually ever did it? Well the answer to that is no. Thought about it a few times. And I do carry the valve stem tool for my own use for tightening the air bags valves onon my truck.
Riddle me this though. It has been stated in the past on this forum of persons dropping tree in order to block others in. Where is that different from a flat tire? The person is inconvenienced if he has means to remove the blockage captive if not.
When I was more active in hunting I used the atv and bypassed those blocking the way. Always encountered a high degree of consternation. Pissed because I went around them. It was on those occasions that the thought occurred, “Should’ve flattened a tire or two for the shitbag and went elsewhere.”
In willybc’s post he stated how he had seen just the same thing with all the tires on every rig dumped so someone thought it prudent to send the message.
Mans you can have at it any which way you want.

Downwindtracker2
11-03-2018, 10:35 AM
One May the 24 we camped at a Rec Site. All weekend every night all night the group of 3 cars' stereos blared. Monday they came and asked if I had jumper cables. " Oh,no. I never carry them. "

Blocking roads deserve stem removal as well. Gates also .

okas
11-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I lived in502-B it seemed to be most hunters from Vancouver island blocked roads left a mess in there camp threw the hides down the Out house and left there LUCKY cans and bottles smashed all over . I must admit when they shut the moose hunt down it helped as all the asses went north . All so many times after they left you could go back and hunt that area as look for Ravens and my bubby used to say nice these cow moose will keep the wolfs away from the cattle for a bit

okas
11-03-2018, 11:41 AM
And just remembered the name sooke river logging party left a bull a cow two calves in the timber they started to pack the bull out and too much work so packed up gone on the ferry and home . No use reporting this as the CO one of them hated our family something about illegal guiding ;)

Bustercluck
11-03-2018, 12:00 PM
And just remembered the name sooke river logging party left a bull a cow two calves in the timber they started to pack the bull out and too much work so packed up gone on the ferry and home . No use reporting this as the CO one of them hated our family something about illegal guiding ;)
Don't group the rest of Vancouver island in with these guys. I'm sure they weren't the type of people that carry tags anyways.

okas
11-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Well I will see in a bit as I live here now ?? and I hope to find one or two that are into hunting and fishing. But the few I took out for the day are just not into it as lived here for years and never been out just burning up fuel looking where everything is . Before it gets funny I have been on and off this island for years .Just something about that ocean and as far as moose and elk all my old hunting buds are gone as most heart or liver cancer . a good hunting buddy is very hard to find as some well know if your into the hunt most are to hide from the wife get drunk and spoil the trip but want the meat they never shot ?

Bustercluck
11-03-2018, 03:21 PM
My biggest beef with living on the island was trying to get off the island for any reason. Try and line-up a 5 hour drive with a ferry that only runs during the day. I found that I never left for that reason. That and the seasonal employment logging was enough for me to leave. I find the people there pretty easy going though.

Caribou_lou
11-03-2018, 04:23 PM

I agree with ya

Ltbullken
11-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Putting up illegal blocks to access on public roads is also worthy of RCMP involvement as well. Doesn’t hurt to let them know.

skibum
11-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Anyone no if there has actually been any enforcement/consequences when a blocked roads is reported? I would think CO's are smoking busy during hunting season, hard to be making special trips to deal with morons.

Arctic Lake
11-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Do not want to derail the OPs thread but the ENTITLED PEOPLE the ones I mentioned before ,I guess it stems from how you were raised and common sense . What is acceptable in ones house may be totally out of line in another . Goes for common sense also .Not trying to be holier than thou
Apologies just a my thoughts !
Arctic Lake

Big Lew
11-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Do not want to derail the OPs thread but the ENTITLED PEOPLE the ones I mentioned before ,I guess it stems from how you were raised and common sense . What is acceptable in ones house may be totally out of line in another . Goes for common sense also .Not trying to be holier than though !
Apologies just a my thoughts !
Arctic Lake

A lot of truth in that for sure!

horshur
11-04-2018, 07:45 PM
It a bullshit move...but life is to short there are never enough days to waste on that..go hunting.

Big Lew
11-04-2018, 08:29 PM
It a bullshit move...but life is to short there are never enough days to waste on that..go hunting.

Agreed. When you're young and full of testosterone fight or vengeance is what first comes into your mind.
When I first started driving it was the same. Someone did me wrong and I wanted to get them back. As I
matured I realized that it wasn't going to solve the problem, likely would make it worse, and more importantly,
even if the offender was eliminated, there were many waiting to take his place. Better to chill and move on...
...as you say, 'life is too short to waste it on that.'

albravo2
11-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Blocking roads is a dick move for sure but how petty do you have to be to vandalize someone’s truck like a bratty teenager?

What he said. No excuse for messing with someone's vehicle, period. Full dick move right there.

My mother always said "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Jagermeister
11-04-2018, 09:39 PM
You reduce your chances of vandalism by 80-90% by not blocking the road. Think about it.
Block the road, especially a through road, and your risk increases. Why is it some of you think it's okay to block the way and be immune from some consequence.
Let's do a roll reversal. The road you block is a roundabout. The end you're blocking is closer to a medical facility. A group started from the other end and were making their way along toward the end you're blocking when a medical emergency occurred. Proceeding forward because it is shorter and thinking the way is clear sailing, they come around the corner and there is/are vehicle(s) blocking the way and nary a soul around. Honking the horn to draw your attention, you're not going to respond because it is some pissed hunter that can't continue, so piss on him. No one shows and they are now force to make a decision (a) return the way they came increasing the critical time or (b) push the blocking vehicles over the bank.
Blocking the road is purely self indulgence with a don't give a dam about anyone else. You will reap what you sow.

dana
11-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Jag is a class act. Vandalize people's property and shoot people's dogs. WOW! Blows my mind there are hunters like that in the bush.

mpotzold
11-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Been hunting since 65 & only 2x came across hunters intentionally blocking the road intersection with vehicles & with vehicles + camp. In both cases managed to drive around by clearing a path.

One time at the Gang a guy parked his vehicle at 90 deg blocking only 1/2 of the road. We drove around & met the guy road hunting by foot. His excuse was that he wanted hunters know that he was there.
The other times the hunters gave us a dirty look on our way back.

One of the reasons I always carry sat. phone, GPS, cameras nowadays.
Intentional road block- report it to a CO asap.

It was near Gang where a group of hunters set up a large trailer with some parked SUVs, ATVs, ...almost totally blocking the access road to one of our favourite areas. They had all kinds of signs posted leading to their camp. We ignored the signs & proceeded driving off the road & around the camp using the 4x4. Nothing was said-we avoided a confrontation.

Next time I'll phone the CO & hope they get charged under BC WILDLIFE ACT SEC. 80- A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

Jagermeister
11-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Jag is a class act. Vandalize people's property and shoot people's dogs. WOW! Blows my mind there are hunters like that in the bush.I see you are accusing me of something that never happened. Only the thought occurred. Wait, wait, you can be found guilty for your thoughts. I thought you are an egomaniac, I am guilty.
I am an advocate for respecting other people's rights, particularly the right to move freely up and down roads that we all have paid for. The rights that you seem to take for granted.
I see that you didn't respond to (a) or (b) above. You might have to make a choice . Typical, see only what you want to see. So, given such a scenario, what would you do Dana?

hawk-i
11-05-2018, 02:01 AM
I ran across 2 camps and one pick-up blocking roads in a few days in region 6 this year...all of them were from the lower mainland area.
Not much good to say about that type of mentality!

ryanb
11-05-2018, 06:45 AM
I've said it before, resource roads are NOT hunting roads. Never block a road, whether it's 10km or 100 yards before the end. You may be impeding someone's lively hood. Silliness like that is what gets roads gated...

Busterpayton54
11-05-2018, 07:41 AM
I see where some of you guys are coming from when you say deflating the tires of the blocking vehicle may present a life threatening situation for the passengers of said vehicle.

but here's the thing... they parked across the road not giving a care about who might be already up there and if they needed an emergency evacuation.

Maybe a guy was planning to hike/hunt from the next road over and get picked up by his partner 20km up this road that the partner can not access anymore.

People who have have no regard for others get none from me.

2 wrongs dont make a right.. meh whatever, a lesson needs to be taught. This snowflake mentality is exactly why we have so many inconsiderate a holes. People are too afraid to educate them on etiquette.

Don't want flat tires, don't park across a road. It's not a tough concept. Besides anyone traveling the back country without a compressor is a moron. Park across a road and don't have a compressor... let Darwin sort it out.

hawk-i
11-05-2018, 08:01 AM
I see where some of you guys are coming from when you say deflating the tires of the blocking vehicle may present a life threatening situation for the passengers of said vehicle.

but here's the thing... they parked across the road not giving a care about who might be already up there and if they needed an emergency evacuation.

Maybe a guy was planning to hike/hunt from the next road over and get picked up by his partner 20km up this road that the partner can not access anymore.

People who have have no regard for others get none from me.

2 wrongs dont make a right.. meh whatever, a lesson needs to be taught. This snowflake mentality is exactly why we have so many inconsiderate a holes. People are too afraid to educate them on etiquette.

Don't want flat tires, don't park across a road. It's not a tough concept. Besides anyone traveling the back country without a compressor is a moron. Park across a road and don't have a compressor... let Darwin sort it out.

Great post!

caddisguy
11-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Definitely a lot of messed up people out there who block roads. Another one I have run into is guys who presumably wanted to hunt the same area see our jeep parked there before first light while we are starting our hike in, then blow off 5 rounds next to the our jeep, slam their door and peel off. Actually walked back to see if we could catch up with the guy(s) offer them some tissue and make them YouTube famous. I suspect these are the same type of personalities that block roads.

Been lucky enough the last couple years I havent personally encountered interference, but I still see the odd vehicle blocking roads (that i dont hunt) that go on for 10km and more.

Downwindtracker2
11-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Great post!

Another vote for great post.

steel_ram
11-05-2018, 09:56 AM
So would you tough guys vandalize the vehicle if the owners were there and refused to move? Bet you snowflakes would mouth off and melt away, especially if the occupants were not little old men. It's not your place to hand out the punishment, as much as it may be deserved. Hopefully it's the day the crews are hauling in some heavy equipment.

Bugle M In
11-05-2018, 12:04 PM
How could anybody think to block a road?
What makes them think that there may not be someone further down the road, wanting to come back out.
Play with someones vehicle, probably not, but report with lots of video and photo, absolutely.

Block the road, and I find myself not getting "back out"!!
Then you have problems.
Winch is coming out, and I would not care what gets ripped off.
As for Snowflakes or not, guess you will have to find out?

Busterpayton54
11-05-2018, 02:34 PM
So would you tough guys vandalize the vehicle if the owners were there and refused to move? Bet you snowflakes would mouth off and melt away, especially if the occupants were not little old men. It's not your place to hand out the punishment, as much as it may be deserved. Hopefully it's the day the crews are hauling in some heavy equipment.

if the vehicle is occupied then they aren't created a hazard themselves. Then it all comes down to being confrontational. Some might be inclined to escalate things way out there in no mans land without a witness.

If i I put myself in the hole blockers shoes, and stood my ground refusing to let a guy through... I really wouldn't want to be sitting there like a duck either.

monasheemountainman
11-05-2018, 02:44 PM
not sure where this whole violence and vandalizing thing is coming from...we pushed the little trailer over with our hands sliding it on the snow and ice...did not do any damage to anyones stuff, nor were we violent in any way, we just werent going to let them block us from getting to a place where we had just as much right as them to go.

walks with deer
11-05-2018, 03:00 PM
i was locked in behind a gate once...

only time i was with a mobile welder...
cut went through and repaired.

walks with deer
11-05-2018, 03:02 PM
called owner of said gate (logging firm)
they said thanks and offered for me to daisy chain my own lock on there.
blocking roads is ignorant...years ago a guys truck was shot up up sylvester road for said act..i was only 4 but rememember talking to the cops.

Steve W
11-05-2018, 03:27 PM
It was near Gang where a group of hunters set up a large trailer with some parked SUVs, ATVs, ...almost totally blocking the access road to one of our favourite areas. They had all kinds of signs posted leading to their camp. We ignored the signs & proceeded driving off the road & around the camp using the 4x4. Nothing was said-we avoided a confrontation.

Next time I'll phone the CO & hope they get charged under BC WILDLIFE ACT SEC. 80- A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

Lower courts have ruled in the past that travelling to a hunting site prior to hunting does not fall under Section 80. Last time I heard a Judge speak on this, he admonished both parties for their lack of maturity and ability to sort out their differences without involving the courts.

mpotzold
11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Was not aware of the lower court's ruling. It doesn't make any sense.
There was a reason why obstructs was underlined in my post.

OBSTRUCT defined
-to block a road, passage, entrance etc.so that nothing can go along it, or to prevent something from happening correctly by putting difficulties in its way
(https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/prevent)
Also since road hunting is allowed in BC(soon to change under the lefties) I'm also legally hunting while driving to my hunting site if there is one.

Wild one
11-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Really curious how many people actually get charged with interfering with a legal hunt each year in BC

I bet the number is really low

Steve W
11-05-2018, 05:54 PM
The last one I was involved in was one guy slowly driving down a road at daybreak and wouldn't let another guy pass. Couldn't prove the first guy knew the second guy was actively hunting. Splitting hairs, but that's how these things can go.

Avalanche123
11-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Jag is a class act. Vandalize people's property and shoot people's dogs. WOW! Blows my mind there are hunters like that in the bush.

It gets better dana...they then post their actions/ideas on a public forum...wow.
Unfortunately the world is full of all kinds of hunters/people who have ****ed values...

Bigdoggdon
11-06-2018, 01:38 AM
This type of thing is happening more and more often. As more and more hunters are pushed into smaller and smaller areas due to lack or game, lack of access, season reductions and closures a few guys are taking that selfish, f*&^ the other guys approach and using their camp and equipment to create their own private game reserves. I've come across this three times in the past few years, most recently during my moose trip in reg 6 I found a group blocking access to miles of road and access to a lake didn't stop to take pictures but should have. I believe this some group to have blocked the same road 2 years ago. and once about 10 years ago I was hunting in the peace during the august opening and came across a group of 8 guys blocking access to one of the only large lakes in the area with their camp. When I confronted them about access they begrudgingly let me drive my quad around, their excuse was "we've been coming here for years" "we always camp here"

LBM
11-06-2018, 06:11 AM
This type of thing is happening more and more often. As more and more hunters are pushed into smaller and smaller areas due to lack or game, lack of access, season reductions and closures a few guys are taking that selfish, f*&^ the other guys approach and using their camp and equipment to create their own private game reserves. I've come across this three times in the past few years, most recently during my moose trip in reg 6 I found a group blocking access to miles of road and access to a lake didn't stop to take pictures but should have. I believe this some group to have blocked the same road 2 years ago. and once about 10 years ago I was hunting in the peace during the august opening and came across a group of 8 guys blocking access to one of the only large lakes in the area with their camp. When I confronted them about access they begrudgingly let me drive my quad around, their excuse was "we've been coming here for years" "we always camp here"

Well if they say they have been doing it for years then its not really for the reasons you mentioned.

338win mag
11-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Its been a long time since I took the core course, but isn't there something about hunter ethics?
Hunters leaving garbage, driving slowly up roads to not allow anyone to pass, blocking roads and other hunters access, or to the guys who pulled up to my camp (again) and start following my ****ing tracks in the snow and start hunting, wtf is wrong with you??

Redthies
11-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Its been a long time since I took the core course, but isn't there something about hunter ethics?
Hunters leaving garbage, driving slowly up roads to not allow anyone to pass, blocking roads and other hunters access, or to the guys who pulled up to my camp (again) and start following my ****ing tracks in the snow and start hunting, wtf is wrong with you??

Unfortunatley, humans tend to suck. I would rather hunt (and surf as it’s the same territorial issue) at less than stellar spots, than deal with the a-holes at the “good spots”.

Wild one
11-06-2018, 10:04 AM
The last one I was involved in was one guy slowly driving down a road at daybreak and wouldn't let another guy pass. Couldn't prove the first guy knew the second guy was actively hunting. Splitting hairs, but that's how these things can go.

That situation is way more common then camps blocking roads every logger I know hates hunting season for this issue

I have not met a hunter who has made a report of someone interfering with their hunt but most have experienced it in some form. I assume it’s not a common charge

coastcrickets
11-06-2018, 10:25 AM
See anything in 3-13? I was on Spius FSR for 3 days and didn't see much of anything except for packs of muleys in the fields as I hit the #8 to Merritt! Go figure.