PDA

View Full Version : Run in with a wrong CO

Princeton.kennedy
11-01-2018, 01:28 AM
Anybody else here have a CO give you bad/wrong information?

I was just pulling into a lake in region 8, CO pulls in quick to box me in. Checks my guns, all good - checks my tags and sees that I've already got a mule deer. He asks where I got it, told him up by Big White. He sees that I have another mule deer tag and proceeds to tell me I'm done for the season as provincial mule buck limit is 1. I told him I have a place near Princeton and have the tag in case I see one in region 2. He firmly says to me "no, 1 mule deer buck PROVINCIALLY." I asked why they would sell me another tag then and he says "thanks for donating to the fish and wildlife". He then starts talking about Haida Gwaii limits...in my head I'm thinking "I don't care about Haida Gwaii". He starts copping attitude but I decided not to argue with him. He goes on his way.

The following week I drove down to the local CO office to double check with another officer. Sure enough, he tells me I'm right and that he will chat with that officer.

You would think these guys should know their regs inside and out...frustrating!

RyoTHC
11-01-2018, 04:49 AM
There is absolutely zero requirement for these people to have any interest in hunting. Hell two of the local COs I have spoke to around Kamloops don't even hunt and never have... Wouldn't expect them to bother keeping up with the seasonal changes in depth... They will just keep bugging people based on their outdated knowledge they learned in school 20-30 years ago. Frustrating at best.

I had one argue with me about magazine capacity who ended up being wrong when he spoke to a superior, after he was wrong he spent 15-20 minutes trying to find another infraction, and I mean looking hard so he didn't look foolish and could still get me for something, which he found nothing and was visibly and audibly not happy.

Hunter gatherer
11-01-2018, 04:50 AM
That's one of the problems I've run into a couple of times. Some CO's don't really know as much as they think they do. It's best to know all the rules that apply to what you are doing and carry the regs and firearm laws in your truck.

RyoTHC
11-01-2018, 04:58 AM
That's one of the problems I've run into a couple of times. Some CO's don't really know as much as they think they do. It's best to know all the rules that apply to what you are doing and carry the regs and firearm laws in your truck.

Yet those specific COs seem to be the ones puffing their chest the most...

Brew
11-01-2018, 05:29 AM
There’s definitely some good ones but in recent years I’ve noticed a change in how they act. With some of these newer age ones your considered guilty of something until they prove otherwise and they definitely make you feel like your guilty of something.
for the first time in a while I ran into a nice young guy up on the Alaskan highway near muncho. He was thorough but nice and respectful and we had a good chat for about 15 minutes. Some of the other younger guys near the coast here not so much.
I do however think they should know the laws they are enforcing inside and out when it comes to tags and guns before they spout off nonsense.

zippermouth
11-01-2018, 05:59 AM
There’s definitely some good ones but in recent years I’ve noticed a change in how they act. With some of these newer age ones your considered guilty of something until they prove otherwise and they definitely make you feel like your guilty of something.
for the first time in a while I ran into a nice young guy up on the Alaskan highway near muncho. He was thorough but nice and respectful and we had a good chat for about 15 minutes. Some of the other younger guys near the coast here not so much.
I do however think they should know the laws they are enforcing inside and out when it comes to tags and guns before they spout off nonsense.
I had a similar encounter up there. Great chat and he seemed very knowledgeable.

bigredchev
11-01-2018, 06:04 AM
I always carry a synopsis in my hunting pack for this reason.

A few years back hunting outside squamish, we had a couple tell us there was no hunting in our area as we unloaded the quads/unpacked.

I politely told her yes it's open and legal, and suggested I will show her in the regs so she could see for herself. She scoffed and me and went on walking her yappy gerbil sized dog....

ratherbefishin
11-01-2018, 06:06 AM
We had a couple of COs drop in to our camp up on the Swift river,good guys.After they checked us out we had a good chat and they shared information on the moose rut.Course,they were both hunters..

Weatherby Fan
11-01-2018, 06:20 AM
My daughters boyfriend and I ran into a CO last year up near Bonaparte Lake and surprisingly was a hell of a nice guy, friendly, very casual, did his job but didn't make us feel like criminals, put the whole meeting with a CO on another level, even offered some advice on where to hunt in the area.
Most are very officious and do treat you like you just have done something wrong from my experience.

There are two classes of bag limits, Provincial and Regional, neither of these bag limits can be exceeded.

1) The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3 (not including Haida Gwaii/ QCI). Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year,but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined.
Hunters may harvest 3 white-tailed deer (if they purchase 3 white-tailed deer licenses), or 3 mule (black- tailed) deer (if they purchase 3 mule (black-tailed) deer licenses), or a combination of white-tailed and mule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or 2+1) providing they do not exceed the provincial limit of 3 and not more than 1 mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined.

Since he had you pulled over in area 8 he thought he had himself a criminal....., as you said you think a CO would know the difference.

LBM
11-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Anybody else here have a CO give you bad/wrong information?

I was just pulling into a lake in region 8, CO pulls in quick to box me in. Checks my guns, all good - checks my tags and sees that I've already got a mule deer. He asks where I got it, told him up by Big White. He sees that I have another mule deer tag and proceeds to tell me I'm done for the season as provincial mule buck limit is 1. I told him I have a place near Princeton and have the tag in case I see one in region 2. He firmly says to me "no, 1 mule deer buck PROVINCIALLY." I asked why they would sell me another tag then and he says "thanks for donating to the fish and wildlife". He then starts talking about Haida Gwaii limits...in my head I'm thinking "I don't care about Haida Gwaii". He starts copping attitude but I decided not to argue with him. He goes on his way.

The following week I drove down to the local CO office to double check with another officer. Sure enough, he tells me I'm right and that he will chat with that officer.

You would think these guys should know their regs inside and out...frustrating!

You would think hunters would no the regs as well but yet always questions on here if this is legal or is that legal. many illegal animals shot every year.
It goes both ways, need more COs out there if anything.

Wild one
11-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Don’t expect CO’s to know everything and same goes for cops

Some are great and very knowledgeable well others know enough to get by. Personally have had nothing but good run ins with CO’s but always here the odd case of poor info. Cops with firearms can be interesting at times and some don’t know transportation laws. Want to see a BC cop get confused hand him a muzzleloader and ask him for the definition of it being loaded lol

In the end be 100% you know the regs/laws and carrying a copy of them can save long conversations or a drive to cell service to google it lol

Busterpayton54
11-01-2018, 06:47 AM
My father and I ran into 2 of the most outstanding co's I've ever met on our way out of gang ranch in June, not too far above the main ranch.

I had actually olanned on emailing their supervisor to say so.

They didntheor jobs, checked our licences, guns.. nearly shit themselves at the sight of my xcr-l topped with the atn day/night scope.... asked if it was restricted or not and took my word for it, then warned us about driving our trucks in town as the cops have a hard on for tires sticking out and lack of mudflaps.

They were very friendly while doing their job professionally.

I dont get to say that enough about humans humans these days.

Ron.C
11-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Someone else already said it. Carry a copy of the synopsis in your truck. I also carry a copy of the firearms transport rules after a similar issue with a cop.

If you are confident the officer is incorrect, Be polite and ask the officer if you can refer to the synopsis for clarification.

bloody bellies
11-01-2018, 07:43 AM
I'm surprised he didn't ask what you were hunting for, I would assume you had another game tag to be hunting, no need to be in region 8 with a clipped mulie tag with guns, if he asked what you were hunting for then shouldn't have been a problem

Ramshot
11-01-2018, 07:58 AM
A few years back I returned from the Muskwa river area after a successful stone sheep hunt. I only had one day before heading out of town back to work to get my stone ram CI'd and pinned. This was back when CO's did the CI's and I had a CO (not mentioning names) compulsory inspect my ram. He did the paperwork and when it came time to pin the horns he was digging around all over the work bench desk and couldn't find the drill? He then throws his hands in the air and says "well, I guess we don't do that anymore"!! I look at him and shrug and say ok. Off I go with my ram to the taxidermist. A few days later I get a voicemail where I'm working out of town and it's Doug Jury the regional Biologist and he asks me to call him back. I do and he says can you bring your stone ram back as it never got pinned. I told him I'm working out of town and there is no way I can do that. He asks me where the ram is and I tell him and he said he would drive to the taxidermist and drill and pin the ram. I told him what the CO told me and he was speechless. Anyway, I guess my point is they should know the important stuff> Ramshot

Bernie O
11-01-2018, 09:36 AM
I have been hunting for 55 years and have been checked by CO's many times. Only once did I have a problem because even though I had cut my tag there was still a small part in it that was not removed. This was a student working part time on a weekend. All my other interactions have always been professionally handled. As with any body that has a thankles but important job, the outcome usually results on your input.

hickman
11-01-2018, 10:41 AM
The issue is the new bag limit rules for region 3 and the combined mule deer limit looking at the different regions. Not all COs really know all the details. The wording is complicated enough to confuse a few people.
CO's do not only deal with hunters. The job includes much more. However, there are those with attitude and those that want to do the right thing and help. I am mostly hunting region 2 & 3 and the majority of COs have been respectful to me and done their duty without attitude.

finngun
11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Don’t expect CO’s to know everything and same goes for cops

Some are great and very knowledgeable well others know enough to get by. Personally have had nothing but good run ins with CO’s but always here the odd case of poor info. Cops with firearms can be interesting at times and some don’t know transportation laws. Want to see a BC cop get confused hand him a muzzleloader and ask him for the definition of it being loaded lol

In the end be 100% you know the regs/laws and carrying a copy of them can save long conversations or a drive to cell service to google it lol

I m expecting co..s know hunting laws..if they are forcing it.or at least to find out right answer..

okas
11-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Like RCMP these days and none I have dealt with in the last 20 years have been normal one was really great but am sure he was on some kind of anti depression drug. I think as if you have lots of game in the cooler they just think you are cheating . most shots are in the top of the neck as easy head off and they are looking for holes in the 1/4s . I joked one time as they try covering there eyes as the lights are too bright

Wild one
11-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I m expecting co..s know hunting laws..if they are forcing it.or at least to find out right answer..

They should know be for they act and so should cops but reality is they don’t always know all the laws/regs. Majority are good but there is the odd one who is off just like any field

So be smart and cover yourself. I have actually messed with cops/CO’s at my old business testing them and what I find is they know majority of the laws/regs not all. The smart ones just look things up before they speak or act on something and that is all we can hope for

No one knows everything and when it comes to CO’s remember it is more then hunting regs they have to remember. Start talking trapping laws with a CO and most cannot come even close to remembering all the laws

Between environmental, hunting, trapping, and wildlife conflict laws/regs no CO is going to retain everything in his head but if he does his due diligence to be sure of a law in ? before making a statement or action on it that is what matters

Jagermeister
11-01-2018, 12:26 PM
You have to remember their training. First rule: "When you're wrong, you are right. And if there is no rule or law, you make one." So, there is little sense in arguing with a RCMP member or Conservation Officer unless you have something that they don't have. And that is paper verification that they are wrong. Understand that the argument does not end there, he/she will then argue in a roundabout fashion to say that what you said is really what they said because they can never really admit they are/were wrong.

Bustercluck
11-01-2018, 01:00 PM
You shouldn't need a law degree just to go through a game check. I don't u derstand why those few bad apples feel the need to harass the law abiding citizens. For the ones who go through that, we just lose a lot of respect for their uniform and make sure we absolutely don't help them in any other way. I guess they feel it just shows their supervisor that they're out there doing their job

Bugle M In
11-01-2018, 01:47 PM
I have gotten to know a few over the years.
Most are great.
I wouldn't like to have their job at times.
Most hunters are good people, but some do carry an attitude.
Same goes for the odd CO.
I know that there was concern with a young CO, who approached hunter with basically one hand on the hip of the sidearm.
Not cool, and if you are that concerned, then maybe he needs to leave the job.
But, the CO's who just come up, non confrontational, "like, hows it going"? kind of attitude, before they have to do their job, always seem to be the best at their jobs.

We just have to remember, they are in a position of authority, so best give them the respect.
and even if they seem to not reciprocate the respect, just stay cool.

Yes, some CO's don't have all the answers, and some will do their best to help you out.
Other times, like the OP stated, best to deal with it later, not escalate it further if possible.
At that point, you wont win, even if you are right.

albravo2
11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
I have gotten to know a few over the years.
Most are great.
I wouldn't like to have their job at times.
Most hunters are good people, but some do carry an attitude.
Same goes for the odd CO.
I know that there was concern with a young CO, who approached hunter with basically one hand on the hip of the sidearm.
Not cool, and if you are that concerned, then maybe he needs to leave the job.
But, the CO's who just come up, non confrontational, "like, hows it going"? kind of attitude, before they have to do their job, always seem to be the best at their jobs.

We just have to remember, they are in a position of authority, so best give them the respect.
and even if they seem to not reciprocate the respect, just stay cool.

Yes, some CO's don't have all the answers, and some will do their best to help you out.
Other times, like the OP stated, best to deal with it later, not escalate it further if possible.
At that point, you wont win, even if you are right.

My sentiments (and experience) exactly. Usually you get back what you give, in terms of attitude, but there are exceptions for sure.

wlbc
11-01-2018, 02:09 PM
That sounds frustrating. I've run into the same thing and politely debated with a CO, the thing is that they do not always know and understand the regs like we do.

As another poster noted I have found that being pleasant goes a long way to the CO being pleasant. (not saying the original poster was anything but pleasant) They are just doing their job, no sense being a dick to them. We came out a spring bear hunt in the Mackenzie district a few years ago and four CO's pulled us over. One of the older guys literally sprinted to the truck to check and see if our firearms were loaded (they were not). They all then began a very thorough review of our tags, our bears, etc. They were not unpleasant but they were VERY thorough. We stayed relaxed and we were on our way in an hour or so.

Squamch
11-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Never had a bad experience with a CO personally. Had one defuse a situation with an excited mountie once too.

donny.brooke
11-01-2018, 02:18 PM
My local CO is a real dick!

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 02:23 PM
You have to remember their training. First rule: "When you're wrong, you are right. And if there is no rule or law, you make one." So, there is little sense in arguing with a RCMP member or Conservation Officer unless you have something that they don't have. And that is paper verification that they are wrong. Understand that the argument does not end there, he/she will then argue in a roundabout fashion to say that what you said is really what they said because they can never really admit they are/were wrong.

Hmmm ... is my girlfriend a CO?!?

trebreklaw
11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Took a moose to meat cutter in quarters and was told have to have evidence of sex on fronts. Got the CO on phone and he said they expect you to keep the moose intact but would call meat cutter and give ok.
Must not have been a hunter or was superman.

Bugle M In
11-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Took a moose to meat cutter in quarters and was told have to have evidence of sex on fronts. Got the CO on phone and he said they expect you to keep the moose intact but would call meat cutter and give ok.
Must not have been a hunter or was superman.

Sex on fronts????
More than just superman, would have to expect that the moose was a hermaphrodite???

Gord
11-02-2018, 04:46 PM
When I received the Mule Deer bag limit email, as I have an Antlerless Mule Deer tag, my first thought was that there must be a whole lot of people coming home with 2 Mulies and punching both their tags without even realizing they had made a mistake until the game check informed them of it. I also think from conversations with hunters, that a lot of people do not understand how the General Season and the Limited Entry Season work together. The wording is kind of confusing, unless you read the regulations a few times through, and I think a lot more people struggle to understand the bag limits than would admit. I was in a few conversations with hunters where some got it right away but some argued that they could still get 2 Mule Deer in region 3. That CO should have known or was playing games I guess.

russm
11-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Sex on fronts????
More than just superman, would have to expect that the moose was a hermaphrodite???

Antlers? But that’d only work if you didn’t quarter the front half.

rocksteady
11-02-2018, 05:23 PM
I have never had an issue with a CO.. treat them with respect and they return the favor.. come off as a know it all dick who pays their wages
.. have fun..

They are doing a job, not one i want and they deal with all sorts of personalities..

Blainer
11-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I have never had an issue with a CO.. treat them with respect and they return the favor.. come off as a know it all dick who pays their wages
.. have fun..

They are doing a job, not one i want and they deal with all sorts of personalities..agreed l and I don’t see us doing ourselves any favours by voicing complaints on line.
Hunters are often our own worst enemies.
This was a minor err in judgement, happens.
Many of these changes didn’t come till late in the season, let’s hope most are aware, especially those with leh draw.
LEH is NOT a free or bonus tag, same laws are in place, 1 Mulie this year

Bugle M In
11-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Antlers? But that’d only work if you didn’t quarter the front half.

Fair enough, long day for me!!
But then again, some people debone.
Pecker on 1 side only, and I guess if you are capable, balls on the other.
Antlers/head sometimes come down separate.

Coyote
11-02-2018, 07:34 PM
I was invited to hunt in Pennsylvania a few years ago. I jumped at the chance. While we were there we ran into a couple of their COs. They checked our tags and licenses and mentioned that I had come a long way to hunt. They asked me if I would come back. I said I'd like to but why ask. They said they wanted to make sure I'd had a good time and would I consider returning. Every penny of their pay came from hunters and sales of licenses and tags. Love to see that here

burger
11-05-2018, 08:34 PM
I had an experience once in boston bar. Shot a anterless whitey in 3-30. Went through a game check and was pulled over. CO checks over my deer and started in on me that I had harvested a buck illegally. I agreed it was an antlerless buck and he still could not let it go even after letting him know that the regs are for antlerless not buck vs does. Finally asked him for his lead CO. He comes over and the original CO all hyped up starts in on how im in the wrong and that i shot a buck in an antlerless opening.

Lead CO looks at me shakes his head and says have a nice day.

whitlers
11-05-2018, 10:56 PM
I had an experience once in boston bar. Shot a anterless whitey in 3-30. Went through a game check and was pulled over. CO checks over my deer and started in on me that I had harvested a buck illegally. I agreed it was an antlerless buck and he still could not let it go even after letting him know that the regs are for antlerless not buck vs does. Finally asked him for his lead CO. He comes over and the original CO all hyped up starts in on how im in the wrong and that i shot a buck in an antlerless opening.

Lead CO looks at me shakes his head and says have a nice day.

Did you have the head of the deer with you to prove it?

butcher
11-06-2018, 08:18 AM
I was invited to hunt in Pennsylvania a few years ago. I jumped at the chance. While we were there we ran into a couple of their COs. They checked our tags and licenses and mentioned that I had come a long way to hunt. They asked me if I would come back. I said I'd like to but why ask. They said they wanted to make sure I'd had a good time and would I consider returning. Every penny of their pay came from hunters and sales of licenses and tags. Love to see that here

so how was the hunt? A million deer and a million people?

walks with deer
11-06-2018, 09:06 AM
yup boston bar had to wait for the bird identifier for 3 male ruffed grouse....after a hour and the highway was getting icy i asked the head co whats up...he said have a safe trip home.

Bustercluck
11-06-2018, 09:17 AM
I had a similar experience while ice fishing in Alberta. After he looked at our licenses and saw one guy from bc, the only questions he asked pertained to the trip and made sure everybody was enjoying themselves.

dirtymax
11-06-2018, 09:40 AM
I had a positive experience. 2 co s stopped in our stag party in the spring . Our guns and licenses were all safe and in check as well as fishing licenses . Received a warning ticket for no bail bucket and a few little things we should have had on the boat . They informed us of a few campfire rules and left on a good note from both sides .

Salty
11-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Its a new reg. and a little on the complicated side so there will be a little more confusion than normal for the first little while. I've had nothing but good experiences with COs. At the end of the day they're like us only human and you can't expect anyone to have the rules 100% perfectly committed to memory 100% of the time. I SAF didn't with my working career the odd mistake WILL happen.

okas
11-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Buy the time they come out to my camp they already have heard what a bad guy I am and all the crap . Its my fault as if you get yappy I put you on the spot like right now . IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ENEMIES YOU HAVE NEVER STUCK UP FOR ANYTHING

BCHunterTV
11-07-2018, 09:56 AM
I've dealt with a co on my trapline that told me I was breaking the law by baiting etc... threatened to charge me unless I removed bait asap. When I tried explaining I was allowed she raised her voice and said it want up.for debate and was telling me top do it!!!

So I drove out 2 hours one way to dig through snow and take all the bait.

Later I call another officer and he backs me and says he wl talk to her

Bothers me cause she was so mean and threatening

Mosin
11-07-2018, 10:06 AM
I've dealt with a co on my trapline that told me I was breaking the law by baiting etc... threatened to charge me unless I removed bait asap. When I tried explaining I was allowed she raised her voice and said it want up.for debate and was telling me top do it!!!

So I drove out 2 hours one way to dig through snow and take all the bait.

Later I call another officer and he backs me and says he wl talk to her

Bothers me cause she was so mean and threatening

It's always a good idea to ask for a business card or some form of Id. Don't wait to take notes, soon as she leaves write down the interaction...and do NOT let it go. Call people send emails and be a pain in the ass to her superiors.

BCHunterTV
11-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Her supervisor said when I called him...she was mistakened and he would talk to her

I tried telling him to ask her to conduct herself better and not be so mean. He said wouldnt touch that request

Never did hear from her again... but probably now if shes reading this hahaha