PDA

View Full Version : Wood stoves for tent

Rotorwash
10-31-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm looking to find the best wood stove for a wall tent. It's not really a light tent at 40 lbs but still somewhat packable if there is a need to. So a fairly light stove might compliment it. But it's hard to tell quality from pictures on the internet.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Hillerbillyvan
10-31-2018, 10:36 PM
"Big buddy" propane heater is by far the best decision I made for the wall tent
come back to camp wet,cold,tired chop kindling build a fire with wet hard to light wood, wait an hour to warm up, go to sleep,wake up at midnight roasting/sweating then wake up 3am frozen with a dead fire lol

now I click a button and get 18,000 btu instantly, its constant consistent heat all night
they're safe convenient easy and come in a few different sizes, can hook up to a 20-30lb tank or used with a 1lb that hides inside
thats my 2 cents anyway. Check them out

todbartell
10-31-2018, 11:14 PM
how big is your wall tent? 14x17' was heated easily with a Camp Chef Alpine stove, but it wasn't very cold (0c or so). Fairly inexpensive, less than $300, but not super light (74lbs). I am looking at a Kni-Co for my next wall tent (12x12 Eskers)

Ltbullken
10-31-2018, 11:24 PM
come back to camp wet,cold,tired chop kindling build a fire with wet hard to light wood, wait an hour to warm up, go to sleep,wake up at midnight roasting/sweating then wake up 3am frozen with a dead fire lol

now I click a button and get 18,000 btu instantly, its constant consistent heat all night
they're safe convenient easy and come in a few different sizes, can hook up to a 20-30lb tank or used with a 1lb that hides inside

Would this not vent combustible gases into the tent? Ie. carbon monoxide?

trowt
10-31-2018, 11:31 PM

these heaters are catalytic, not combustion, so no CO is produced.

todbartell
10-31-2018, 11:48 PM

don't be a pussy :mrgreen:

b72471
11-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Catalytic heaters used in tents, normally there is a warning in the instructions to have fresh air venting.

Buck
11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Venting warning in Canada but not in the states

MOL
11-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Bought one of these this year. Replaced a 4 burner with oven version, fire box was too small and stove was to big (on oven version).

New one is a great stove. Used the same stove in a cabin this winter on a job. Built a plywood carry box, welded up a light weight bottom stand (so I don't use the legs it comes with) and cut the pipe to length to fit into the stove for transport. Works well, can dampen it right down and crank it when need be. Have used in warmer early September, but no doubt it will keep a standard wall tent warm in -30 or colder weather. Top loader and can boil or cook on it, not the best but will work, find it can get oil splatter on the stove. GW Metal widely sold, price is right and different sizes to choose from.

http://www.greatwestmetal.com/GreatWestMetal/Heater%20Stove%20Pipe.jpg

Hillerbillyvan
11-01-2018, 08:59 AM

They burn completely clean and have low oxygen shutoff and tip over switch
but i was very nervous about trying it so I bought a portable detector before sleeping with it and it always reads 0.0 all night, I do usually leave the stove vent hole open for a little air just in case

Drillbit
11-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Bought one of these this year. Replaced a 4 burner with oven version, fire box was too small and stove was to big (on oven version).

New one is a great stove. Used the same stove in a cabin this winter on a job. Built a plywood carry box, welded up a light weight bottom stand (so I don't use the legs it comes with) and cut the pipe to length to fit into the stove for transport. Works well, can dampen it right down and crank it when need be. Have used in warmer early September, but no doubt it will keep a standard wall tent warm in -30 or colder weather. Top loader and can boil or cook on it, not the best but will work, find it can get oil splatter on the stove. GW Metal widely sold, price is right and different sizes to choose from.

http://www.greatwestmetal.com/GreatWestMetal/Heater%20Stove%20Pipe.jpg

I use one like that, but find it too small. Gotta reload it every 2 hours.

Going to weld up one a little bigger that will take long logs.

kootenaihunter
11-01-2018, 11:02 AM
I have the Wilderness 4 Wood Stove. Burn time is all related to firebox size and whether or not it's air tight and controllable.

This guy will go for most of the night (6-8hrs), embers to start a new fire in the early morning. Take long logs two, stack it full of 24" pecker poles and you're set. Built well, will last my lifetime and probably my kids'.

The garbage can metal ones work, but you'll go through lots of wood and they burn out in a couple hours.

https://www.walltentshop.com/products/wilderness-wood-camping-stove

okas
11-01-2018, 11:09 AM

X 2 and just so light and easy I have the same one and many uses as after chaining up at 30 below and under the truck to warm up as cold start . now have 2 diesel stoves for sale and a heater

okas
11-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Have a cool wood stove small with oven in the side one of them ones that reburns the smoke gases great for late season bow in the blind ha ha two broken shoulders in the last few years bow hunting is out

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Looking into something small but well sealed ... want to see what options are out there and cost.

If I want well sealed should I immediately disregard all collapsible ones?*

The "tundra" collapsible one seems pretty nifty and not made out of paper thin material, but not having much experience with stoves I'm not sure if the ability to collapse is worth the hassle if it doesnt seal up properly.

I have a buddy heater .... but I am not comfortable sleeping with it on all night. Propane is being burnt. Toxic gasses must be created .... I dont see any way around it. If someone has some literature on this that explains how it is safe I'd love to read it.

Elkaholic
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
I have the Wilderness 4 Wood Stove. Burn time is all related to firebox size and whether or not it's air tight and controllable.

This guy will go for most of the night (6-8hrs), embers to start a new fire in the early morning. Take long logs two, stack it full of 24" pecker poles and you're set. Built well, will last my lifetime and probably my kids'.

The garbage can metal ones work, but you'll go through lots of wood and they burn out in a couple hours.

https://www.walltentshop.com/products/wilderness-wood-camping-stove

our hunting group also upgraded to this stove as well this year. Great product, now its just the learning how this stove likes to burn as opposed to my old one I have grown accustom to using. But nothing a few more wall tent camping trips wont fix. We noticed a huge difference in heat with this stove as well, one hunting partner said he was sleeping in his underwear on top of his sleeping bag most of the night this elk camp LOL.

Elkaholic
11-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Looking into something small but well sealed ... want to see what options are out there and cost.

If I want well sealed should I immediately disregard all collapsible ones?*

The "tundra" collapsible one seems pretty nifty and not made out of paper thin material, but not having much experience with stoves I'm not sure if the ability to collapse is worth the hassle if it doesnt seal up properly.

I have a buddy heater .... but I am not comfortable sleeping with it on all night. Propane is being burnt. Toxic gasses must be created .... I dont see any way around it. If someone has some literature on this that explains how it is safe I'd love to read it.

We used a dual coil heater buddy this year in the wall tent when the fire ban was on. It works great if your close to it. Other than that all it can do is keep the cold away a bit and burn a ton of propane. No issues with toxic gasses as we made sure there was a little airflow to keep it moving. We used it in a 10x22 wall tent. Needless to say the day the fire ban came off a fire was started.

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 01:42 PM
^ 10x22 is a humungous tent to heat though ....

longwalk
11-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Small, light and airtight generally don’t go together. I use a Cylinder stove made by Davis tent. It is the second largest model they make and I have the hot water jacket with it. Not light but it keeps my 12*14 tent nice and warm. If I’m burning good wood, ie. dry larch, then I only re stoke it once a night. Not a light set up but if you are looking for comfort and the ability to dry wet heavy clothes and also have a flat cooking surface it it hard to beat.

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 02:30 PM
It doesnt have to be light ... but small and air tight would be nice. Seems the camp chef alpine stove worked well for todbartell even though it had no door gasket .... but i suppose a door gasket wouldnt be too hard to add on there. Just rip one off an old oven and cut to size?
Price sure is right.... hmmm

Good2bCanadian
11-01-2018, 02:49 PM
12x14 wall tent.
Built myself a woodstove from a 30lb propane tank with a zipcut and 115v flux core mig.
We can heat that tent over 100f.
Legs and door handle are removable and store inside for transport.
Mapp gas plumbers torch makes quick work of early morning relights.
My tent, poles and stove and venting come in at 200lbs.

My buddy heater wouldnt heat the tent one early october trip.
It snowed and we froze bad.
I now save the buddy heater for my 3 man Eureka tent. Open a vent and let it heat up before i go to sleep and turn it back on when i wake to take the chill oit of the mornings. Works great in there.
I always set multiple alarms on my pjone to ensure i dont fall asleep with it on.

A CO detector is an addition i plan to add soon.

http://i63.tinypic.com/29lka48.jpg

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 03:10 PM
^^ Cool set up. Thanks for sharing.

todbartell
11-01-2018, 03:24 PM
some hunting camp pron

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/9e46c9fc8599f125a2f3e7805ea2a818/5C7E50B5/t51.2885-15/e35/43425868_2179904418919978_1580803697190533115_n.jp g?ig_cache_key=MTkwMzI5NjUxNDIxNTAzMjYyOA%3D%3D.2

twoSevenO
11-01-2018, 04:05 PM
I'll add a couple :)

Sorry if they are huge on desktop site ... they look fine on mobile.

https://i.imgur.com/ylojidT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wa0CgNz.jpg

LuckyHorseshoe
11-01-2018, 04:18 PM
It doesnt have to be light ... but small and air tight would be nice. Seems the camp chef alpine stove worked well for todbartell even though it had no door gasket .... but i suppose a door gasket wouldnt be too hard to add on there. Just rip one off an old oven and cut to size?
Price sure is right.... hmmm

You can can get door gasket kits at cdn tire

srupp
11-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Hmmm use a WOOD stove..avoid any propane type heating stove..they produce far too much more moisture..a wet sticky " heat "
Wood burning is really dry..dries clothes..a better heat..sleeping bags get dry and stay dry..
Getting too small or too big is not good.
We have a tent sponsor on this site..contact them for advice ?
Cheers
Steven

blackbart
11-01-2018, 09:30 PM
I use the biggest hippie killer stove and it is great in my 14X16 wall tent in really cold temps. We had -39C one morning and the tent was chilly but not freeze your arse cold. Big wood capacity is a good thing. Stay away from the propane heat in my mind!!

LuckyHorseshoe
11-02-2018, 06:30 AM
I've had a hippie killer for awhile now, maybe 4 years. It's pretty much had it, thin metal doesn't stand up. It did a good job but I would like to upgrade too. I can decide if I should go cheaper and try out the Home Depot alpine stove or spend the bucks and get one of those wilderness stoves.

silvertipp
11-02-2018, 09:30 AM
There is a fellow on Craig list makes a nice stove for the tent
i bought one and it works great
load it up turn the damper down and burns all through the night
good price as well
i will see if I can get a pic

silvertipp
11-02-2018, 09:32 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/C1nhbbwg/502-A6-DA6-70-EE-4684-8458-40-D7-B56-EC673.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

ryanb
11-02-2018, 09:36 AM
I've tried many different varieties, and for ease of use, portability, efficiency it's hard to beat the good old "airtight" hippie killer (calling these stoves airtight has to be the biggest joke ever). Are they the best, no, but I have zero desire to wrestle with a heavier 100lb stove.

Blockcaver
11-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Who and where is the guy? Thanks!

Knute
11-02-2018, 09:43 AM
^^^^^^^^
I have the same stove.
Great for heating up our 14x16 wall tent and with a Dutch oven on the flat top surface warming food is easy.

twoSevenO
11-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Can someone post a link to this "hippie killer" stove ... I am not able to figure out what people are talking about. Top Google result is an urban dictionary entry :/

264mag
11-02-2018, 10:05 AM
https://www.greatwestmetal.ca/products/air-tight-heater

I have seen them at Princess Auto.

silvertipp
11-02-2018, 10:15 AM
The stove I posted about maybe ways thirty to forty pounds
all my stove pipe fits inside it as well

bigneily
11-02-2018, 10:42 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/C1nhbbwg/502-A6-DA6-70-EE-4684-8458-40-D7-B56-EC673.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
that is a beauty stove

LuckyHorseshoe
11-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Silvertip would you happen to remember the name of the ad. Can't seem to track it down?

Rotorwash
11-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Thanks for so much information. I was leaning towards the kni-co stove but now I'm not to sure. I have tried propane buddy heaters but I'm always nervous when I do use it. Lots to research now!

moosecamp
11-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Silvertip would you happen to remember the name of the ad. Can't seem to track it down?

https://www.northwestwalltents.ca/products/19-x-29-wood-stove

silvertipp
11-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Its a lot cheaper if you go direct to the guy
he makes them himself

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/spo/d/attn-hunters-and-campers-wall/6733768676.html

Downwindtracker2
11-02-2018, 02:27 PM
The problem with tin airtights is that they require a some knowledge on how to use them. I had one in my cabin in northern BC. When I got it, I was warned about how many people got burned out using them. Don't use Sukunka coal in them. Airtights are air tight until you over heat them, then the inlet warps. It's time to replace them then. Choking them at the inlet isn't enough, you need a damper as well. I was always surprised at how easy they were to get a fire going and how they could use some pretty iffy firewood. I've used long time piled poplar successfully. If you bring along some kitty liter, floordry, to cover the bottom, it's much easier than finding sand. A heavy pair of welding gloves like you would use for air/arc allows you to stuff the stove tight without getting burnt. I've bought a stove at Otter Co-Op Langley, and after we got an explosion and an overheat when we tried burning some beetlekill swamp pine, the replacement at Northern Hardware in PG.

Ubertuber
11-02-2018, 02:55 PM

I've used this type of stove and found it to not seal well at all. Almost impossible to keep the fire going for any decent length of time. It's a nice stove, but the one we used didn't seal well at all. I suppose you could glue some door gasket on it?
When looking for a stove, look for quality seals on the door as well as the air flow control. Get a damper as well.

LuckyHorseshoe
11-02-2018, 03:24 PM
I don't think any portable wood stove is going to offer the perfect solution. I liked the hippie killer for its weight but I think something a little beefier would be a good compromise. Over 70lbs is a bit much. I think it lacks an inside baffle to retain/reburn for more heat and I don't like to door on top of the stove

okas
11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
What about the RILEY stoves .

silvertipp
11-02-2018, 04:55 PM
The door is definitely not sealed but I had no problem
closeing the front dampener a bit and one load burned roughly seven to eight hrs
kept us more than warm in a 14x16
loaded before bed and stoked it up in the morning

Rotorwash
11-03-2018, 11:58 PM
The more I see the more I like the look of the knico Alaskan.

northernbc
11-04-2018, 06:16 AM
Well I just looked at the Riley website, Okas has nailed it I think. Has anyone used these.

longwalk
11-04-2018, 06:17 AM
What about the RILEY stoves .

I had the Colt model of the Riley stove. Wasn’t too impressed. Was fairly light but far too many gaps where you could see firelight flickering at night. Opening was too small to really fit larger pieces of wood in. It’s only redeeming feature was its weight.

northernbc
11-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Okay thanks for that. Good to know

Lukeez88
11-04-2018, 07:38 AM

I have this stove as well and have been happy with it. It was quite a few years ago That i bought it, but I recall the dude being really good to deal with and at that time he actually had a couple different sizes and would customize as well

hoochie
11-05-2018, 07:44 AM
This year we had a night of really strong winds. The wind somehow came down the flu and smoked out the entire tent. we had to exit the tent and open the windows and door to vent it all out. The only other negative thing about a stove is that I am up at least 3 times a night to add wood to it.

Downwindtracker2
11-05-2018, 09:43 AM
A longer chimney solves the smoke and wind problem. And feeding you partner beer before bed solves the feeding the stove problem. But so would a properly designed door and inlet.

264mag
03-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Has anyone used the Nuway propane heaters in wall tents?

MichelD
03-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Where do you guys like your stovepipe wall jack?

In the side or through the top?

Downwindtracker2
03-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Mine came with it beside the door. Not a bad place, all the mess stays near the door. With three guys in a 12x14 , we used the area across from the stove as a table area and three cots across the back half. We had a porch for cooking, and split the tarps at the stove pipe.

oldSchool
03-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Saw this stove in an youtube video series... have a look

https://gstove-canada.com/

03-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Where do you guys like your stovepipe wall jack?

In the side or through the top?

MD.
I have 2 spots for my stove pipe to exit. 12x14 tent. With 8 ft add on detachable kitchen.
One about 6 ft up out the back off center to one side.
The other just inside main room out the side wall at top of side.

This way you have choices depending on how many in your party.

Nothing out of the roof...... If you go out the roof you also need to figure your fly or tarp out to avoid melting or burning.

I do carry a selection of bends to accommodate set up.

MichelD
03-04-2019, 11:08 AM
"If you go out the roof you also need to figure your fly or tarp out to avoid melting or burning. "

Thanks. That is exactly what I had concerns about.

03-04-2019, 11:10 AM
My fly is UGE......
14X24 ......heavy heavy tarp. No holes through it.
No rain or melting snow coming through any where.

Downwindtracker2
03-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Going out the side or back means you have to think about support for the stove pipe. Out the roof means the tight seal supports laterally and stove does the vertical. There are no good options really.

03-04-2019, 12:40 PM
True......
We support ours with a tripod. Love the one piece complete fly.