PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Lake hunting

longwalk
09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I am heading over to long island on Harrison lake with a friend, camp over sunday night and be up at the crack of dawn for opening day. Anyone have any advice or experience in this part of the lower mainland? anything is appreciated.

locdog_99
09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
lots of traffic in there right now so u need to get off the road

ruger#1
09-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Lots of deer and a few cats on long island, The bush is very thick. If they logged a few clear cuts , I would watch them or find a heavily used trail and watch it. A freind of mine watched a cougar swim from the island to twenty mile bay, The cat almost made it, It drowned 3/4 across.

~T-BONE~
09-08-2007, 08:47 PM
The deer on Long Island are dwarfed.. Maybe from some inbreeding?
Goodluck!

Mark it's funny you mention that story as I was just retold about again recently.

ruger#1
09-08-2007, 08:51 PM
i have shot deer around 20 mile bay and they are small. Seen one swim to the island. Steve Ostenbrink was one of the guys that swam out to retreive the cat.

longwalk
09-09-2007, 06:18 AM
well we are off this morning. It is my buddies first hunting trip so I hope we can see some game, even if they are suitcase deer.

bsa30-06
09-09-2007, 09:29 AM
good luck usually lots of traffic and people around harrison untill the weather turns bad.

ruger#1
09-09-2007, 09:52 AM
He is going to be on long island. Away from the traffic. The last time i was on there it was so thick you couldn't see ten feet in front of you.

coolhunter
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Does Harrison have goose ?

ruger#1
09-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Seen a griz up high in the mountans around 20 mile bay., Seen lots of geese on the Harrison river and Harrison bay. Lots of them fly over grassy bar on the Fraser river.

coolhunter
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Seen a griz up high in the mountans around 20 mile bay., Seen lots of geese on the Harrison river and Harrison bay. Lots of them fly over grassy bar on the Fraser river.
thnx ,brother .:lol:

ruger#1
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM
If you going to hunt geese on the harrison river then take a fishing rod to . lots of pinks and cuthroat to be caught and watch out for reserve land.

coolhunter
09-09-2007, 04:33 PM
If you going to hunt geese on the harrison river then take a fishing rod to . lots of pinks and cuthroat to be caught and watch out for reserve land.
hoohoo, I don't have sport fishing license and last year I didn't catch anyone....:frown:

Gamebuster
09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Seen a griz up high in the mountans around 20 mile bay....

When did you see a grizz up there?

ruger#1
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Abut 6 years ago. and if you talk to the natives that live at the end of the lake they will tell you the same thing. it was high up in the alpine.

longwalk
09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Just returned from Long Island. Very hot, Saw quite a few does with fawns, one hunter and no horns, walked most of the island along the ridges and road network. Also ungodly hot out there.

Deerwhacker
09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Where on the island is the start of the road system? Is there a doc? how steep is the incline from the start of the road?

longwalk
09-11-2007, 06:35 AM
The spot where we put in is on the east side of the island about 2/3 of the way up. The last time the island was logged they were decking there and the roads come right off the back of the landing. Some nice country to the middle of the island and a good spot to put a boat in.

David Heitsman
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I've hiked the trail up from the moorage on Long Island to the little lakes on top a few times and have yet to see a deer or even any tracks.

I find it pretty thick undergrowth everywhere.

Has anyone ever come in from the west side where up till recently there was a landing yard?

Where is 20 mile bay? I have run my boat to the head a few times but I don't know all the bays and islands by name.

coolhunter
09-14-2007, 10:37 PM
more logging activity going on.I didn't see anydeer or bear or geese.....

ruger#1
09-15-2007, 04:22 PM
20 mile bay is at the northwest side of the island on the mainland . has a little gov campsite with a few picnick tables.

okanaganraised
01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Just read the post about the cougar drowning out by 20 mile bay trying to cross,its really odd,because i used to log out in a peninsula not too far from there,my boss at the time told me he had a cougar in his freezer if i wanted it as he found it in the lake drowned,he sent it to the forestry and they gave it to him back,it turned out that he was found by a cliff in the water and he was around 2 years old and he was probably run off by his mother,and slipped off the cliff which accounts for his bloody nose,that was in 1990..i went back logging in 2001,working for a gypo outfit and i seen a full grown cougar running full speed along the logging road,an impressive sight,my only other encounter was walking down the mountain by myself in harrison again and i felt that funny feeling like something was behind me,when i gathered what i needed,i happened to look down in my footprints and there was big cougar tracks exactly inside my footprints,i was pretty shaken,and grabbed a piece of pipe and headed back,ever since i never ever felt safe in harrison lake being alone in the mountains again working.