PDA

View Full Version : Entitled Hunters

skibum
10-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Didn't want to run another thread off track, so:

Are people inherently selfish or is it something about hunting that raises emotions?

I think it is the latter, but really can't explain it.

Knute
10-26-2018, 09:43 AM
I think it's the former myself.

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 09:46 AM
No different then going to the BAR on a Saturday Night. Everyone is looking around pretending their having fun. No different.
Jel -- you either have it or you don't, and then you pretend you do -- ok -- or you go home alone like usual Hahahahahahahahha Even Burt got turned down :shock: :razz:

tinhorse
10-26-2018, 09:48 AM
I think most people feel like they would like an equal share of what they feel is inherently theirs or their right. The whole island issue is an issue because the amount of land that was given away without the say of the province and its people. Other issues like the government making a two group society is causing a crazy amount of emotion in people because the lands that our grandfathers and fathers grew up on and hunted are being given away again with no say from the people of the province. People have the right to be emotional on these issues and rightfully so...in my opinion...

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Same as the BAR, you go there for one and end up " 1 too many "
-- people cannot make decisions -- or will not --- Will Knots -------can't make a decision --
Cindy Lopper said it right! " Girls just wanna have fah hon ----------------------------------------> Fun that's all <----------- street smart? Rahhh Noooooooooooo
Jel -- On the street -- we are all equal -- no entitlements -- just no ho rahh ok it's raww you and me and the street -- that's where the real fun starts and hopefully ends!
--------------folks got Rock's emotions going with this thread sooooo noooo gotta gooooooooo

Keta1969
10-26-2018, 09:57 AM
I think it's the first myself and the more money people have invested in what is a simple pursuit the more entitled they think they are. To be clear this doesn't apply to everyone but in over 40 years of hunting I would say the respect many hunters should have for the game they pursue and the environment they hunt in has gone downhill.

weatherby_man
10-26-2018, 10:03 AM
I think its the former as well. People in general are a lot less inclined to give a crap about anyone else than they were in the past.

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Burt Reynolds never hunted and he was Cherokee and Mexican so don't give me nooo roc------Burt can -- jo rawwwwJel
dis iz daahh rawww
Jel ok that's it no more we;re gone -- > i never seen rock flip like this folks -- Nor Shore Rocko lookin in Brocko for bert's skirt Hahahahahahah

fuzzybiscuit
10-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Are people inherently selfish or is it something about hunting that raises emotions?

It’s a bit of both I would say. Although on here I think we hear a disproportionately high amount of the bad experiences some people have compared to the good. I think people just like to complain...

I’ve been hunting for well over 30 years and I could count on one hand the amount of bad encounters I’ve had while out hunting. Sure, my hunt has been messed up on lots of occasions but I don’t believe there was any malicious intent on the other party’s part. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.

I also try to go where others are not and if I see a vehicle in the area I move on to another. I never had an issue getting a couple decent bucks on the Island each year and many more opportunities presented themselves...

emerson
10-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Humans are selfish by nature. Never had a negative interaction with another hunter, or wilderness user. Rarely see anyone though when I’m walking.

Fella
10-26-2018, 10:48 AM
I think some people take advantage of the perceived lack of rules and laws when out in the back country and it causes them to act in ways they wouldn’t normally. The true test of a persons ethics and character is how they act when no one is around to call them on their actions.

kootenaihunter
10-26-2018, 10:58 AM
The true test of a persons ethics and character is how they act when no one is around to call them on their actions.

Exactly, that's the true test.

BornNRazed
10-26-2018, 11:30 AM
I think its what people define hunting as,

some define it as going out out into the bush to harvest “their” game animals and the selfish nature in all of us gets emotionally charged when we face challenges. Or see unfairness

others define it as getting into the outdoors and experiencing our heritage and the beauty of where we live, and if we harvest an animals it’s just an added bonus. And usually don’t squak as much as the former.

I would be lying if I didn’t say I go back and forth between the two definitions but I try to Make a conscious effort to be the later for my sanity and to pass a good heritage to my kids.

Wild one
10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Way more entitled idiots out there each day

In the past you were more likely to get punched in the mouth for being a rude entitled idiot so most thought about their actions and changed their ways. Those that did not learn became easy to identify with their lisp and lack of teeth

gcreek
10-26-2018, 11:50 AM
It is interesting to observe those who respect the new road restrictions in our area and those who don’t. Sad that the entitlement attitude to shoot a moose includes breaking the rules.

skibum
10-26-2018, 11:53 AM
some define it as going out out into the bush to harvest “their” game animals and the selfish nature in all of us gets emotionally charged when we face challenges. Or see unfairness

others define it as getting into the outdoors and experiencing our heritage and the beauty of where we live, and if we harvest an animals it’s just an added bonus. And usually don’t squak as much as the former.

I think you have nailed it here - especially about facing challenges.

ryanszeredi
10-26-2018, 12:33 PM
It is interesting to observe those who respect the new road restrictions in our area and those who don’t. Sad that the entitlement attitude to shoot a moose includes breaking the rules.
even the old road restrictions are ignored. Was in a non motorized area in region 8 every closed road had heavy quad traffic from all the tracks I could see. This zone has been around for as long as I can remember. it's not a surprise new reg

Weatherby Fan
10-26-2018, 12:47 PM
even the old road restrictions are ignored. Was in a non motorized area in region 8 every closed road had heavy quad traffic from all the tracks I could see. This zone has been around for as long as I can remember. it's not a surprise new reg

Yeh very frustrating when you backpack into the Alpine only to have a couple chaps ride by you on their ATVs when you know it's closed to motorized vehicles !!

Norwestalta
10-26-2018, 02:12 PM
I was antelope hunting this year and the craziest thing happened. Sitting alongside the road watching a antelope in the field and some pecker head pulls up and backs into a approach behind us and starts scoping our antelope. After 5 mins he drives up beside us and asks if we're gonna shoot it. It burnt my ass that he wouldn't of just drove past and watched from afar as he could tell we were watching it and developing a plan to stalk up on it.

hawk-i
10-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Kinda like hunters from the lower mainland coming up to zone 6 and blocking off access with their trucks and camps!
You know who you are.

Wild one
10-26-2018, 02:27 PM
I was antelope hunting this year and the craziest thing happened. Sitting alongside the road watching a antelope in the field and some pecker head pulls up and backs into a approach behind us and starts scoping our antelope. After 5 mins he drives up beside us and asks if we're gonna shoot it. It burnt my ass that he wouldn't of just drove past and watched from afar as he could tell we were watching it and developing a plan to stalk up on it.

At least he asked. Been in a similar position a few times and it never bothered me

The odd Ahole will try to just race you to it if it’s a long distance mountain stalk. I have only experienced this once myself but been told it’s more common with sheep

10-26-2018, 02:38 PM
I think a lot of it stems from everyone being a game management biologist pro.... The people online who know cant even agree....
I don't know if entitled is the correct term... maybe Ignorant? hell maybe some of them are right and im Ignorant...

back in the day it was simple... there was a pile of game and no social media... Social media was chatting with guys in the bush,,,, if they didn't chat.. they were the few....
now you got "online pros" who have formed their opinion by listening to arguments online and agreeing with who feels right....

finngun
10-26-2018, 04:23 PM
meet jerks on kammy mountains..friend shot a muley..here cames truck with 2 big mouths,,blaming as shooting their direction,,and shooting inside of truck.[absolut not true]..when my friend was shooting that deer those jerks truck was totally behind small forest..maybe 150m..
but i had a friend with us,,black belt karate man..he called those idiots come out and settle the matter..for some reason they just drive a way..;) smart move.. i guess..those guys seen that buck earlier,,just make them mad when my friend shoot it..first came..first service..8-)

whitlers
10-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Kinda like hunters from the lower mainland coming up to zone 6 and blocking off access with their trucks and camps!
You know who you are.

And the lower mainland bashing continues...

Give your head a shake. Not everyone from down here is the same.

emerson
10-26-2018, 04:37 PM
I find jerks are not geographically clustered. Even a couple decent people in Toronto.

hawk-i
10-26-2018, 05:25 PM
And the lower mainland bashing continues...

Give your head a shake. Not everyone from down here is the same.

And like I said '' you know who you are'' !!

whitlers
10-26-2018, 05:34 PM
And like I said '' you know who you are'' !!

Haha you are so ignorant

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 05:50 PM
I hunted the woody's up behind Noble and my bro hunting buddy who owns a nice 4 by, drives along the roads and views the hills and mountain sides for mules.
Any buck Yocktober so coming along and guess what?
Jelly - He picks up beer cans -- as soon as he sees them on the back red dirt roads and I couldn't believe this buddy, who doe's this and he says he takes them in
--------------------------------------- My bro can't believe the cans beside the red dirt roads as we look for the toad! -------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------We look for a toad, off the side of the red dirt road, ready to unload in three seconds, until we see the cans, and buddy loses it -----------> Coors Light, Budwiser, and more -- >

Bustercluck
10-26-2018, 05:52 PM
I think it's the first myself and the more money people have invested in what is a simple pursuit the more entitled they think they are. To be clear this doesn't apply to everyone but in over 40 years of hunting I would say the respect many hunters should have for the game they pursue and the environment they hunt in has gone downhill.
I can't agree more. It's surprising how many hunters just want to kill sh*t. And when they can't find something to kill, it s everybody else's fault.

Boner
10-26-2018, 06:15 PM
I think it’s this site and sites like it and other social media, specifically the photo heavy ones. People are exposed to threads and posts where they see success and want a piece of it themselves. Not realizing how many days on average hunters have boots on the ground looking for a legal animal.

Because of my work, I’ve had exposure to the outdoors almost every day since September 10. In 3 different regions. Other than one mule deer buck that I let walk away, I’ve only seen black bears and some game birds like grouse and the migratory ones. I have seen lots of moose and deer, some very, very nice ones, but either LEH or no season, or in the dark.

A successful hunt doesnt just automatically happen when you pack your stuff up for a weekend trip. Those days are over. Sure it happens, but those guys probably came up with a good plan and a bit of luck.

emerson
10-26-2018, 07:39 PM
I think it’s this site and sites like it and other social media, specifically the photo heavy ones. People are exposed to threads and posts where they see success and want a piece of it themselves. Not realizing how many days on average hunters have boots on the ground looking for a legal animal.

Because of my work, I’ve had exposure to the outdoors almost every day since September 10. In 3 different regions. Other than one mule deer buck that I let walk away, I’ve only seen black bears and some game birds like grouse and the migratory ones. I have seen lots of moose and deer, some very, very nice ones, but either LEH or no season, or in the dark.

A successful hunt doesnt just automatically happen when you pack your stuff up for a weekend trip. Those days are over. Sure it happens, but those guys probably came up with a good plan and a bit of luck.

Very true, successful hunting threads are like made for tv movies about some incredible against the odds triumph. Always more failures that don't get talked about. Sure, some pros subjugate their lives to hunting, but most regular hunters don't shoot that many animals. Like the thread about 3 guys from LML who hunted a week and a half in region 6 and got 1 moose. Same as 1 guy hunting for 30 days straight. Not many do that.

scoutlt1
10-26-2018, 08:07 PM
I agree that there is more of an attitude of "entitlement", but I would say more so one of "instant gratification".
"I should be able to get what I want with minimal effort".

It's reflected in so many aspects of society unfortunately.

Sad really, because for me at least, the best part of hunting is enjoying the quiet of the wilderness, looking up at the stars at night, sweating my ass off while hiking up some stupid mountain and thinking about when I can finally be standing under a hot shower, sitting by the fire swapping stories with good company, being the only witness to a couple of animals interacting in a way that will never be shown on a tv show......

I have no idea how many times I've hunted and taken an animal or not. Honestly, couldn't care less. Every time I've been out there though....by myself, with family or friends.....it's always been an experience that I have enjoyed, been challenged by, and have found incredibly rewarding.

I think that so many people are missing out on the true "reward" on things, when they expect to achieve that reward without the sweat, blood, and tears that really should go with it.

Just my two cents...

whitlers
10-26-2018, 09:34 PM
I agree that there is more of an attitude of "entitlement", but I would say more so one of "instant gratification".

Sad really, because for me at least, the best part of hunting is enjoying the quiet of the wilderness, looking up at the stars at night, sweating my ass off while hiking up some stupid mountain and thinking about when I can finally be standing under a hot shower, sitting by the fire swapping stories with good company, being the only witness to a couple of animals interacting in a way that will never be shown on a tv show......

I have no idea how many times I've hunted and taken an animal or not. Honestly, couldn't care less. Every time I've been out there though....by myself, with family or friends.....it's always been an experience that I have enjoyed, been challenged by, and have found incredibly rewarding.

I think that so many people are missing out on the true "reward" on things, when they expect to achieve that reward without the sweat, blood, and tears that really should go with it.

Just my two cents...

I totally agree. Hunting is hard work and to me its simply about spending as much time out exploring as I can. After introducing a couple new hunters the last two seasons I have found it difficult to explain to them that its more about being out and learning every trip then it is harvesting game. It's an adventure

hawk-i
10-27-2018, 02:47 AM
Haha you are so ignorant

Congrats, you just confirmed my thoughts on the big city boy hunter mentality. ...enjoy your day you're on my ignore list.

Bustercluck
10-27-2018, 03:04 AM
Congrats, you just confirmed my thoughts on the big city boy hunter mentality. ...enjoy your day you're on my ignore list.
Another one who's too delicate for other personalities on the internet . Seems like this is a common theme lately...

dana
10-27-2018, 06:23 AM
Ignore lists and entitled hunters go hand in hand. I will only see comments I agree with and therefor I am always right and I will never have my feelings hurt. Hahaha. Wonder how many people have me on an ignore list? I one time got banned on this very site for posting up the Hurt Feelings Report. Hahaha!

butcher
10-27-2018, 06:39 AM
I disagree Steve. I ignore a very few people on this site. Mostly for insane blather that makes my head hurt or for constant racism.

Entitlement? Yeah it’s out there every day.

snipersights
10-27-2018, 06:44 AM
It’s a hard hobby but it’s the best one. 99% of the time you have to just sit and be patient. And hope some idiot doesn’t go driving down your spur. I think it’s very important to be respectful and polite of other hunters. Also common sense goes a long way. If you see someone else’s truck in a slash don’t go in there. I started leaving notes on my window saying active hunting in area use caution and game camera watching truck. Last week for example I was quadding in one of my usual deer spots about 3pm I decided to park the quad and hunker down until dark. Yes I sat hidden in a clear cut for about 4 hours. Just before I parked I came across another quad hidden behind some culverts. I immediately stopped turned around and headed out slowly. Later on as I was waiting in my spot the same gentlemen came up the road I was on saw my quad, turned around and slowly left the area with a wave. Guys who lave hunting know what it takes. Last year I didn’t get any deer and I was able to do 11 hunting trips. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen. This year I made up for it with being involved in 5 successful bear hunts so far. Including 2 for me.

dana
10-27-2018, 07:05 AM
I disagree Steve. I ignore a very few people on this site. Mostly for insane blather that makes my head hurt or for constant racism.

Entitlement? Yeah it’s out there every day.

And yet you haven't ignored me for my insane blather. Hahaha! I find there are some here that I just scroll past most of the time, just like I would on other social media. I still like to pause and read every now and then so I can get a chuckle. Without the idiots, the internet can be a boring place at times. ;)

butcher
10-27-2018, 07:25 AM
Well even you make an actual point sometimes. And once in a while I’m able to concede that!

been able to put things in perspective a little more for the last few years.

Jack Russell
10-27-2018, 07:55 AM
It seems its a steady, gradual deterioration of common courtesy, common sense and respect. These values have become disposable - often in the name of appearances such as gaining credibility on social media. Others are simply feeling the crush of pressure with increasing population and diminishing opportunities. A myopic few are simply just overly competitive people that never had the real understanding of outdoor activities such as hunting, and never will.

Angling brings out the worst in people, probably just due to numbers of participants - hunting appears to have less slobs than angling.

It was inevitable.

The only current non regulatory solution is to work harder and smarter.

Wild one
10-27-2018, 08:24 AM
Entitlement issues are causing more problems in BC when it comes to hunting then most realize. There is little to no give and take amongst the different kinds of hunters in BC compared to most places in North America. This is a big part of hunters being divided and little accomplished in BC

Another common issue I have heard from new hunters I have mentored is they have a hard time finding others to hunt with that have respect for other hunters, rules, bush and animals. Most give up on hunting with new hunters they meet and only hunt solo or with our crew

Honestly I am more willing to hunt with a green hunter wanting to learn then a good portion of hunters with a few seasons under their belt

The respect between other hunters seems to go out the window fast for many but I still cross paths with good people in the bush they just seem less common

Islandeer
10-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Seems this epoch is full of bitching and complaining.It is in all areas of our lives, evenly distributed. Like Dylan once sang, “ The times are a changing” lol, if y’all don’t remember that one you could be part of the problem.

My hunts take me away from idiots and also from good folks. I don’t discriminate between the two types! That is my personal entitlement.

tipper
10-27-2018, 11:42 PM
Not sure what to say about this post but everyone I ever talk to in the bush are good respectable people. Where do you hunt? I'm sorry I don't have time to read everything. We all need to stick together and think that most of population hate us..keep that in mind, we are a minority.

Brez
10-28-2018, 09:29 AM

Just my two cents...

Well said! Another thing...there is hunting and there is killing. Two different mind sets on what, on the outside, appears to be the same pastime.

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Huh? say whatchu talkin bout? I don't know what you sayin

Kill-da-wabbit
11-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Just my two cents...
I agree on so many levels. I don't even like discussing my hunts with my co-workers because they feel my hunts are a failure if I don't kill something. Nothing could be further from the truth.