PDA

View Full Version : Stalking dows

OoDark
10-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

back after a u unsuccessful hunt tonight.
My question is what’s the easiest way to tell the age of a Doe

I ended up 10m from a deer but I could not get any idea of age on it. It’s snout seemed too short, So I just practiced stalking it hopping something bigger would show up. Next time!!!

carnivore
10-24-2018, 08:07 PM
Why are you stalking an Egyptian boat?

OoDark
10-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Useful as ever..... maby I’m useing a Balista

RyoTHC
10-25-2018, 07:15 AM
I assume you're whitetail hunting? Age is irrelevant, get yourself some food.

Rieber
10-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Best way to tell is to measure the length and diameter of it's poop, that and the squeeze test will give you the best estimate. Young deer are sensitive to alfalfa so they process that stuff really quickly to get it out of their system - it doesn't have time to breakdown and compact so as a result you have a rather crumbly but pliable and shinny poop. The older doe have a more sophisticated digestive system and break down everything, even twigs, to a hard dry, almost pellet fuel type stool. This causes them some discomfort and you'll see them hunch up some when they defecate - young deer don't hunch up when the poop. This is also known as "turtle trouble" a similar condition that road hunters also get when they eat too much chips and beef jerky in the truck and not drink enough water. When the turtle gets angry, nobody is happy.

The best way to know for sure is to collect various bags of the droppings, mark them and identify them on your spreadsheet at home. Send the sample bags to Jelvis for his professional analysis and see what he tells you.

Glad I could help you this morning. For more information on this subject please speak to someone that actually know what the hell they are talking about. The third of coffee this morning tipped me over the edge a little - sorry.

rocksteady
10-25-2018, 07:38 AM
Older does tend to have a really long skinny snout, and more grey than tan..
Younger does, stubbier face and more tan.
Fawns really stubby faces and fuzzy heads between the ears.

And the old does tend to be the first ones out of the herd that bust you :)

carnivore
10-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Best way to tell is to measure the length and diameter of it's poop, that and the squeeze test will give you the best estimate. Young deer are sensitive to alfalfa so they process that stuff really quickly to get it out of their system - it doesn't have time to breakdown and compact so as a result you have a rather crumbly but pliable and shinny poop. The older doe have a more sophisticated digestive system and break down everything, even twigs, to a hard dry, almost pellet fuel type stool. This causes them some discomfort and you'll see them hunch up some when they defecate - young deer don't hunch up when the poop. This is also known as "turtle trouble" a similar condition that road hunters also get when they eat too much chips and beef jerky in the truck and not drink enough water. When the turtle gets angry, nobody is happy.

The best way to know for sure is to collect various bags of the droppings, mark them and identify them on your spreadsheet at home. Send the sample bags to Jelvis for his professional analysis and see what he tells you.

Glad I could help you this morning. For more information on this subject please speak to someone that actually know what the hell they are talking about. The third of coffee this morning tipped me over the edge a little - sorry.

And here I thought you actually were a Scatologist :-)

RackStar
10-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Shoot a fawn. They taste good

OoDark
10-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Waste one of 3 tags on a fawn...... that wont fill my freezer lol

NO IDEAS
10-25-2018, 06:07 PM
since when "waste a tag" come into play while hunting. I hunt because I love to be out door and playing the game of stalking the animal. if you want cheep/ cheaper meat go to your favarive butcher shop. My 2c worth

RackStar
10-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Heading out this weekend for a doe. If I see a doe with fawns I’m obviously not shooting moms. Down goes the fawn for tender steaks. Punched a mulie tag no more mulies, 1 tag left for my 1 white tail buck allowed in 7a. Sounds like good use of a tag for me.