PDA

View Full Version : Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

coplin
10-24-2018, 04:01 PM
what are our rights as hunters', engaged in hunting in a legal hunting area,during legal hunting season; when we encounter persons in the same area who elect to walk/hike in the area with their dog(s) off leash ? Can't these people give us hunters' our short 3 months of enjoyment....?

Seems only vaguely addressed in the BC Wildlife act.. More specific about using dogs for hunting on leash or off leash for upland or wetland birds, but then these type dogs are with hunters' so that's obvious.

Not looking for debates or rants about "woofie's" need to be free.

Jordan f.
10-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Are you on crown land? Are dogs legally able to be off leash in the area?

coplin
10-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Crown Land, The law is quite clear that dogs are never allowed to be off leash in a wildlife habitat area unless specific signs are posted stating otherwise but people do it anyways

srupp
10-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Hmmm 4 days ago on private property. .all off a sudden..crashing ..and a beautiful 6 1/2 foot blavk bear comes crashing through the woods.on his ass were 4 dogs..1 huskey,2 sheltie type, one newfoundland. .I must have moved dogs broke off the chase and came from 100 yards and closed in on 40 yards..was getting ready to shoot someones dog..s as they were not friendly..a couple yells and they turned away from me..away from the bears direction..back tge way they came..screwed up a days hunting and the second pair of underwear in a month..
Yes I would have shot..but been sick doing so as I also own a dog.
Steven

coplin
10-24-2018, 04:17 PM
so we put in all this effort to get set up to be quiet to perhaps build a blind and then "Sally and Billy" can come hiking with "Buster" off leash scaring away any chance at a deer or like what happened to you distressing Black Bears, making that bear a danger now for possible future human interactions. We have no rights. I'm sure you would have been the one "punished" even in self defence if you woulda had to shoot "Buster"

coplin
10-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Hmmm srupp since you are a dog owner yourself, maybe you know then . If say you were not a hunter, would you off leash "walk" your dog in the forest ? As I don't own a dog I've never looked into this maybe it is allowed maybe dog owners are allowed to do this , seems like a ridiculous idea to me, but again I don't know ...

.308SLAYER
10-24-2018, 04:25 PM
I personally dont hunt where people "walk their dogs"

coplin
10-24-2018, 04:29 PM
You would prob be shocked then to see how far into the bush that I've seen people are willing to go give "Buster" an off leash romp, its just nuts..

srupp
10-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Hmm yes we own a dog.yes we walk Ebony off leash in the forest..so far in 30 years with Brandy, Morgan, Ebony have not had a single event..but yes we walk ourdog off leash in forest.
On hiking trail with other people, other dogs she is on leash.
Ebony sees birds, deer, moose.. no inclination to chase..one event and she would be on leash every time.
These dogs were over 3/4 mile from any home..running without supervision..in a pack..
Steven

hickman
10-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Hunt where there are no people and your success rate will go up as well ;-)

J_T
10-24-2018, 04:42 PM
coplin. This has NOTHING to do with your rights as a hunter. Live with it or move to a different place. Personally, I'm not offended sitting in my stand if someone and their dog walks through the area. If I have an opportunity to connect/talk with them, I see it as an opportunity to give them a good perspective on hunting and shared use of the land.

I think you might want to consider that they walk their animals in their over the course of the entire year and you are the intruder.

Just saying.

Rhyno
10-24-2018, 04:44 PM
You as a hunter have as much rights to enjoy and use the area as the dog owners do. I cant imagine hunting an area people routinely walk their dogs. It is crazy to think other people shouldn't use the bush because it's hunting season.

Rhyno
10-24-2018, 04:46 PM
coplin. This has NOTHING to do with your rights as a hunter. Live with it or move to a different place. Personally, I'm not offended sitting in my stand if someone and their dog walks through the area. If I have an opportunity to connect/talk with them, I see it as an opportunity to give them a good perspective on hunting and shared use of the land.

I think you might want to consider that they walk their animals in their over the course of the entire year and you are the intruder.

Just saying.

100% agree Jim

two-feet
10-24-2018, 04:49 PM
In the arena of public opinion hunters are garbage, dogs are superior beings. Just keep that in mind no matter who is in the right

Gateholio
10-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Unless they are deliberately disrupting your hunt, they have every right to be there too. Might be annoying but not illegal

Fella
10-24-2018, 04:50 PM
You don’t own the land you’re hunting on, any other user group has as much right to be there as you do as long as they’re not breaking laws. If they were harassing you is another story but as long as they’re not, your rights don’t supersede theirs.

Jordan f.
10-24-2018, 04:56 PM
The on going opinion seems to be "learn to share, or find somewhere new"...

Wild one
10-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Unless they are deliberately disrupting your hunt, they have every right to be there too. Might be annoying but not illegal

^^^ This is it in a nutshell

russm
10-24-2018, 05:23 PM
You as a hunter have as much rights to enjoy and use the area as the dog owners do. I cant imagine hunting an area people routinely walk their dogs. It is crazy to think other people shouldn't use the bush because it's hunting season.

X2

also, not everyone necessarily knows when hunting season is, I can see it from both sides, we have 2 dogs and they’re on leashes full time, but that’s because they’re a couple of A holes lol. If I had a more outdoorsy dog and I was out hiking with no one around it’d probably be off leash if it was behaved, but I wouldn’t be the dick that lets his dog run up and down the beach during salmon season, I was out fishing one day years ago and turn around and there’s some guys dog trying to get at my lunch in my vest.

Sil3n2
10-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Hunting is not a right, it is a privilege and if I am running into dogs and their owners then I'm hunting to close to civilization to begin with! Where are you hunting to be running into non hunters?

Busterpayton54
10-24-2018, 05:36 PM
I had no idea there was any regulation regarding dogs on leash in the wilderness. That's the only place I do let my dog off leash and will continue to do so.

masoncade1992
10-24-2018, 05:37 PM
I personally dont hunt where people "walk their dogs"

This!!! If your around dog walkers , likely your area is not that hidden. Most game I have hunted, hate any type of dogs.

Edzzed
10-24-2018, 06:03 PM
We went hunting last two years and never saw one dog. You probably need to get out of Stanley park.

coplin
10-24-2018, 06:06 PM
In the arena of public opinion hunters are garbage, dogs are superior beings. Just keep that in mind no matter who is in the right

^^...This...^^

Danny_29
10-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear people being reasonable. Its a shared space and I let my dog roam freeee.

Darris doois
10-24-2018, 06:12 PM
I take my dog on my longer hunting trips. He is never out of my site. I have also put a high vis vest on him in certain areas.

coplin
10-24-2018, 06:25 PM
https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/new-park-rangers-crack-down-on-dogs-off-leash-20180711

Maybe here one day ..

Brez
10-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Public land - public access. Suck it up. My dog goes everywhere with me. Probably places you would not go. He is off of the leash. I won't allow him to chase game unless we are hunting birds. If I see you or anyone else hunting I will avoid you unless I am invited closer. If I know someone is hunting in the area, I will avoid it, only because I'm a hunter and know what it's like. Non hunters don't know their effects on someone hunting so forgive them.

Jelvis
10-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Pet owners love their dogs more than people, their pet dog is everything to them. If you cherish your health don't get between dog owner and their precious pet.
-- Just saying, " People love their dogs more than other people Hahahahaha, " One owner told me the more people he meets, the more he loves his dog!"

Jelly Dog - people dress their dogs and put boots on them and sweaters here in Kammy -> Take em out for a shit three times a day Hahaha with a plastic bag in hand

Keta1969
10-24-2018, 06:39 PM
https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/new-park-rangers-crack-down-on-dogs-off-leash-20180711

Maybe here one day ..

Not quite the same unless you're hunting in a park.

Big Lew
10-24-2018, 06:44 PM
I've had dogs since I was 10 years old. They were all trained not to chase deer, bear, or domestic
livestock. They all were trained to go away when ordered in case they are being pursued by a bear
or cougar. Some people don't believe this, but I've had to send one of my dogs away because he was
being chased by a herd of range cattle and I was caught out in the open. I've always had full confidence
in letting them off leash in the wilderness. I abide by all 'dogs must be on leash' if I'm within town limits,
parks, and forestry campsites etc. Even in the wilderness I'll leash my dog if I know other people are nearby.
All this is while not hunting as I believe my dog and I have just as much right to be there as hunters or any
other special interest groups as long as he isn't harassing big game. Keep in mind, hounds men are allowed
set their dogs free to run down bears, cougars, wolves, and coyotes.

Jelvis
10-24-2018, 06:45 PM
People in Kamloops have dogs for their health, prescribed by a family doctor -- calms the person down, a little cute helpless doggy, so cute you want to take it home sooo bad, butt can't, no pets allowed.
Jelly - Pets ----> dogs for company and comfort -- > a friend.

dana
10-24-2018, 06:47 PM
Some of us work in the bush daily and our dogs are our work partners. One of the benefits to doing forestry work, dogs come to work with you. Sometimes many crew members with many dogs. Are we susposed to quit working in the fall because some uptight hunter feels his rights are infringed upon. Yea, get a life. Many many people use the bush for many many different reasons. Heck, you do realize that in many areas of the province cougar is open right now. Houndsmen could be running a lion track right through your deer spot. Would you be mad if a pack of hounds disrupted your hunt? The same very hounds that could tree the cat that is your #1 competition for deer. The same cat that can out hunt you and doesn't have to follow the same laws as you. The same cat that is killing 24/7 365. Would you be mad if that pack of hounds disturbed your little deer spot?

Jelvis
10-24-2018, 06:54 PM
-- If your pet dog looks like a wolf or coyote in any way under any circumstances -- I wood not walk it in the hunting season in a popular deer hunting location etc.
Jelvis -- think what someone cood mistake a husky or a German shepherd etc in the back woods for?
---------------I'm not a predator hunter but my buddy's will shoot canine predators --

joshbazz
10-24-2018, 06:59 PM

You are probably right, but if we want to keep our privilege of hunting open to future generations, we need to do what we can to sway that public opinion, which I agree would mean hunting far away from public dog walkers, hikers, etc, if possible.

J_T
10-24-2018, 07:03 PM
In the arena of public opinion hunters are garbage, dogs are superior beings. Just keep that in mind no matter who is in the right Not sure about that. I think it depends where you live. In rural areas, hunters are regularly identified as the ones working 'for' wildlife. I might add that perhaps hunters who live and hunt in local areas have a better sense of social acceptance. Point is, in our area, even the non and anti hunters respect what hunters do for wildlife.

It is, difficult to project what some on here might be experiencing in their area, when they don't show a location on their profile. coplin (with a lower case "C") if you live in the Kootenay and are having issues, let's connect and perhaps in conversation we can address a few things that bother you. If you want, I know our MLA would be interested in hearing your perspective too, provided it's valid.

Ya, and in rural BC, leashing a dog while in the bush.... just doesn't happen. And shouldn't.

boxhitch
10-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Many folk need to be reminded hunting is alive and well in BC.
I make it a point of safely firing off at least one round on any outing, anywhere, maybe two if the hunt borders an area of development
Gunshots in the distance are a good reminder for everyone that we are sharing the wilds

webley
10-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Many folk need to be reminded hunting is alive and well in BC.
I make it a point of safely firing off at least one round on any outing, anywhere, maybe two if the hunt borders an area of development
Gunshots in the distance are a good reminder for everyone that we are sharing the wilds
And here I thought somebody was shooting at deer. What a fool I am. Steve!

northof49
10-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Hmmm srupp since you are a dog owner yourself, maybe you know then . If say you were not a hunter, would you off leash "walk" your dog in the forest ? As I don't own a dog I've never looked into this maybe it is allowed maybe dog owners are allowed to do this , seems like a ridiculous idea to me, but again I don't know ...

Are you for real....yeeesh

coplin
10-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Some of us work in the bush daily and our dogs are our work partners. One of the benefits to doing forestry work, dogs come to work with you. Sometimes many crew members with many dogs. Are we susposed to quit working in the fall because some uptight hunter feels his rights are infringed upon. Yea, get a life. Many many people use the bush for many many different reasons. Heck, you do realize that in many areas of the province cougar is open right now. Houndsmen could be running a lion track right through your deer spot. Would you be mad if a pack of hounds disrupted your hunt?

Why don't you "get a life" and non androgynous name to go with it.

"Are we susposed to quit working in the fall because some uptight hunter feels his rights are infringed upon" if you don't hunt why are you even commenting? I guess to stand up for your fur baby, how sweet...

Wild one
10-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Coplin simple enough what reasons can you give why any hunter should have more right to the bush over any other user?

Keta1969
10-25-2018, 09:45 AM
That's hilarious that you think Dana doesn't hunt.

labguy
10-25-2018, 09:49 AM

"Are we susposed to quit working in the fall because some uptight hunter feels his rights are infringed upon" if you don't hunt why are you even commenting? I guess to stand up for your fur baby, how sweet...

You need to re think this post. Read some of Danas posts and then try saying he doesn't hunt.

Almost 100 % of the replies to this thread have tried to show you the error in your thinking. You have no more right to be in the bush enjoying your chosen activity as anyone else does.

I have to wonder if you're a Millenial given your sense of self righteousness entitlement.

okas
10-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Some of us work in the bush daily and our dogs are our work partners. One of the benefits to doing forestry work, dogs come to work with you. Sometimes many crew members with many dogs. Are we susposed to quit working in the fall because some uptight hunter feels his rights are infringed upon. Yea, get a life. Many many people use the bush for many many different reasons. Heck, you do realize that in many areas of the province cougar is open right now. Houndsmen could be running a lion track right through your deer spot. Would you be mad if a pack of hounds disrupted your hunt? The same very hounds that could tree the cat that is your #1 competition for deer. The same cat that can out hunt you and doesn't have to follow the same laws as you. The same cat that is killing 24/7 365. Would you be mad if that pack of hounds disturbed your little deer spot?
WELL PUT my top girl was shot on a Cougar solo hunt . I heard one shot no yep I just turned and walked away as shit happens .

Wild one
10-25-2018, 10:39 AM

I missed this one LMAO

When you find hunting is too hard and you’re ready to sell your gear let me know lol

brn2ryd
10-25-2018, 10:54 AM
ATTENTION ALL NON-HUNTERS!
All crown land in MU-4 is reserved for the purpose of hunting and hunting only between the following posted dates:
April 1st - June 30th
August 1st - Februarys 28th.
Be advised that the dates posted only account for the general hunting season of multiple game types. It is your responsibility to know when there may Youth Hunting, Limited Entry Hunting, or Traditional Hunting activities taking place and not to recreate on crown land during those times.

All other activities, whether commercial or recreational, are strictly prohibited.
Anyone planning on walking their dog, hiking, biking, bird watching, geocaching, or otherwise wishing to enjoy the outdoors please do so outside of the posted dates, or seek permission from a private landowner.
Please check the MU in your area as dates may differ and hunters don't want you to disturb them, or the animals they are trying to shoot.

Small print: MU 4 has No Closed Season for Columbia Ground Squirrel and Raven. Therefore, All Non-Hunting activities on crown land is strictly prohibited.

dana
10-25-2018, 04:59 PM

Hahaha. Nope, no fur babies. I do have a couple nice dogs though. As for hunting, I've only been out a few times with only limited success.

http://i.imgur.com/OK8lm2e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oNb04Gk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/h9SxTVU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dEyR0CB.jpg

dana
10-25-2018, 05:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xjWKCbQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FMy6K01.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qfmAJwu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ot4tzzg.jpg

dana
10-25-2018, 05:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AzKbGze.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lq54wWc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zHQUPFS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GqCIziC.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Dana
Those are some really nice deer you have harvested ! If you ever feel like mentoring let me know !
Arctic Lake

Keta1969
10-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Thought we might see some pics. Some beauty animals there Dana.

Wild one
10-25-2018, 05:19 PM
Luckiest road hunter in BC lol

Avalanche123
10-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Dana that was the best "shut down" I have seen on HBC lol...well done!

J_T
10-25-2018, 06:00 PM
^^ Dana, I figured that was coming. Gotta punch the 'like' button.

uraarchr
10-25-2018, 06:08 PM
There's at least a 3 FSR's near Vernon where I've seen dog walkers/sitters (what ever they're called)taking large groups of dogs for walks/runs up the mountain after parking at bottom or halfway up the mountain.Looks like is a business or job for them .They have the decal on their vehicle.......so it's not just random?

northof49
10-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Hopefully he’ll hurl another insult so we can enjoy some elk porn too.....LOL

boxhitch
10-25-2018, 06:28 PM
There's at least a 3 FSR's near Vernon where I've seen dog walkers/sitters (what ever they're called)taking large groups of dogs for walks/runs up the mountain after parking at bottom or halfway up the mountain.Looks like is a business or job for them .They have the decal on their vehicle.......so it's not just random?entrepreneurs scratching out a living. Usually under close control because they belong to someone else. Have had a chat with a couple, reminding them there may be hunting and trapping going on in the area.
Then around the corner, safely fire off a round for effect ).

dana
10-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Dana
Those are some really nice deer you have harvested ! If you ever feel like mentoring let me know !
Arctic Lake

Thanks! To clarify, those last 3 photos aren't my deer but memorable hunts I was a part of. These were only a handful of hunting photos that I grabbed off my phone. I have been out a time or 2 over the last 37 years that I've had a licence. ;)

dana
10-25-2018, 06:51 PM
A good dog story from a couple winter's ago. Was coming down an FSR in a work truck and came around a corner to see a dog running down the rd in our direction. As it got closer I realized it wasn't a dog but was actually a huge wolf. I stopped the truck and fumbled to get my camera as the wolf ran straight for the truck. When he got to just before the bumper, he turned and ran up the bank on the high side of the road, passed the truck and came back down on the road just behind the truck. I howled several times to get him to stop so I could snap a photo but he was so focused on where he was going, he didn't even pause. He runs out of sight, so I jump back in the truck and my work partner is freaking out because that was his first wolf encounter. I put the truck in gear drive a little further, come around a corner and there is the rest of the pack. About 6 wolves running in all directions as I'm howling with my camera in hand. No photos captured. Cool experience though.
The next day driving down the same road in pretty much the same spot I come around the corner and a little dog is trotting down the road in front of the owner's car. I pull over and clear them and then signal to the lady to roll her window down. I tell her that if it was me, I wouldn't be walking my dog on this road because the pack of wolves that I saw yesterday right here would think a dog would be a good meal. She said, there are wolves here? I said yup, those are their tracks in the snow. She got out and grabbed the dog, put it in the car and thank me and drove off.

dana
10-25-2018, 07:19 PM

So the question is, will coplin be an 'androgynous' pussy and log off and sign up under a new name and try to forget he ever started such a ridiculous thread, or will he be man enough to get back up and keep on fighting?

Jagermeister
10-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Androgynous, now that is f****ng funny. Transgendered names. Looking at those old photos Dana posted, I can actually visualize a female face behind the whiskers. Reminds me of Chaz Bono, Sonny and Cher's aaahhhh, whatever.
Good one Coplin.

ncurrie
10-25-2018, 09:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AzKbGze.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lq54wWc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zHQUPFS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GqCIziC.jpg

As usual Dana, amazing pictures!

walks with deer
10-25-2018, 09:56 PM
lol dana knows more about game than by far most bioligist good job....i am ok he knows alot more.

Redthies
10-25-2018, 10:09 PM
So the question is, will coplin be an 'androgynous' pussy and log off and sign up under a new name and try to forget he ever started such a ridiculous thread, or will he be man enough to get back up and keep on fighting?

I’m glad you slammed colbin with your faked photos of all your “fur babies”! I hunt with my two dogs regularly (in blaze orange vests so some idiot like colbin doesnt shoot one), and I may or may not be kidding when I say if some idiot shoots one of my dogs, he may fall victim to a hunting accident himself...

People will walk their dogs off leash in the woods. That’s reality. All you guys that shoot ‘yotes or wolves on sight, please take a second or two to make sure you’re not shooting my or another hunters bird dog!

Jagermeister
10-25-2018, 10:10 PM
what are our rights as hunters', engaged in hunting in a legal hunting area,during legal hunting season;when we encounter persons in the same area who elect to walk/hike in the area with their dog(s) off leash ? Can't these people give us hunters' our short 3 months of enjoyment....?

Seems only vaguely addressed in the BC Wildlife act.. More specific about using dogs for hunting on leash or off leash for upland or wetland birds, but then these type dogs are with hunters' so that's obvious.

Not looking for debates or rants about "woofie's" need to be free.
Coplin, the key here is "encounter persons". Everybody has a right to freely walk their dogs when they go for a hike. Off leash too, however, I like mine on a leash, I don't want him bringing back unexpected company in hot pursuit. So, it's quite likely you're hunting too close to an urban area and it is in your best interest to move somwhere else.
It begs the question though, how can you tell the difference from a "tame" dog and a feral dog? Suppose you are walking up a lightly used logging road and look up to see a dog or maybe two heading in your direction at a quick pace. You give a hollar at them but they only slow slightly and they are not wagging their tails. You don't hear anyone trying to call them back. What would you do?

walks with deer
10-25-2018, 10:13 PM
my big dog looks like a wolf and my small one looks like a coyote...they have a blazing orange collar...

Jagermeister
10-25-2018, 10:29 PM
I’m glad you slammed colbin with your faked photos of all your “fur babies”! I hunt with my two dogs regularly (in blaze orange vests so some idiot like colbin doesnt shoot one), and I may or may not be kidding when I say if some idiot shoots one of my dogs, he may fall victim to a hunting accident himself...

People will walk their dogs off leash in the woods. That’s reality. All you guys that shoot ‘yotes or wolves on sight, please take a second or two to make sure you’re not shooting my or another hunters bird dog!
Blaze orange vest certainly determines that it's not feral. I have used them on mine dog too, with a reflective stripe.
However, if the dog is wearing the gear but comes at me in an aggressive manner showing teeth and you are not there to call it off. It's going to be a dead dog and we will discuss it in the manner you choose. We have seen all too often when the occurrence of an dog attack on another dog or person, the owner bolts for parts unknown, never to be seen again. It's your responsibility to control your dog at all time, regardless of where you are.

Doug Palmer
10-25-2018, 10:58 PM
Crown Land, The law is quite clear that dogs are never allowed to be off leash in a wildlife habitat area unless specific signs are posted stating otherwise but people do it anyways

This is what I was told on the trapping course. I have failed to find which law prohibits dogs being off leash in the bush. Can you point me in the right direction?

Regards
Doug

Redthies
10-25-2018, 10:58 PM
It's your responsibility to control your dog at all time, regardless of where you are.

I agree 100%. Unless you’re dressed in a giant quail or grouse suit, you’ll be safe from my dog! He has zero interest in humans.

Golddust
10-25-2018, 11:08 PM
I have a big German Shepherd I love to take out with me whenever I can. Hes just young and still training so I keep him on leash unless im confident there are no other people about. The human is always responsible for their dog. With that being said, I could definitely see someone mistaking him as a wolf, do you guys have any brands of orange dog blazers you've found you like best?

dana
10-26-2018, 06:00 AM
I have a big German Shepherd I love to take out with me whenever I can. Hes just young and still training so I keep him on leash unless im confident there are no other people about. The human is always responsible for their dog. With that being said, I could definitely see someone mistaking him as a wolf, do you guys have any brands of orange dog blazers you've found you like best?

Most forestry workers tie pink or orange flagging ribbon to their dogs in the fall. It is 100% the repondibility of the hunter to know their target. There have been several cases that have hit the news in the last few years that paint hunters in a very bad light in this province because hunters have shot dogs with the owners pretty much right there. This is why Coplins post is so freaking stupid. If i was down on the right of way hanging block ribbon and my dog was up on the road and a hunter shot him, i'd be more than pissed as not only did that hunter kill my dog but almost killed me. Think about shit before you just jump out of your truck guns blazing.

ncurrie
10-26-2018, 06:11 AM

Searched all through gov.bc and I can’t find anything about where it states dogs are “never allowed to be off leash in a wildlife habitat area” the closest thing I could find is this quote

Keep your pets quiet and under control at all times” so please free to enlighten me where this law is? Also you can not use the excuse the dog was chasing wildlife to shoot it, only a CO can legally do that. It’s the hunters 100 % responsibility to make sure they know what they are shooting. Ignorance will not hold up in the court of law.

dana
10-26-2018, 06:16 AM
Blaze orange vest certainly determines that it's not feral. I have used them on mine dog too, with a reflective stripe.
However, if the dog is wearing the gear but comes at me in an aggressive manner showing teeth and you are not there to call it off. It's going to be a dead dog and we will discuss it in the manner you choose. We have seen all too often when the occurrence of an dog attack on another dog or person, the owner bolts for parts unknown, never to be seen again. It's your responsibility to control your dog at all time, regardless of where you are.

So how many people have ever died in the bush by being aattack by dogs? Have there been any? So you want to play what if games with things that are highly unlikely to ever happen. Better chance being attack by a pine marten and dieing of rabbies. So showing teeth is a reason to kill a dog? Are you a man or are you a pussy? Guess we can go back to coplins fancy word again eh? Fear of dogs is no a reason to kill a dog. Grow a pair and get over it. Bare teeth and barking is more an example of a dog that is scared shitless. Easy to remendy that with you mannerisms instead of shoot to kill ask questions later.

zippermouth
10-26-2018, 06:24 AM

no wonder dana hardly visits this site anymore lol. just youth bashing threads and threads like these :confused: reading these threads annoy the hell out of me, i feel the need to vent but i know it will do nothing so i keep my mouth shut.

LBM
10-26-2018, 06:30 AM
Most forestry workers tie pink or orange flagging ribbon to their dogs in the fall. It is 100% the repondibility of the hunter to know their target. There have been several cases that have hit the news in the last few years that paint hunters in a very bad light in this province because hunters have shot dogs with the owners pretty much right there. This is why Coplins post is so freaking stupid. If i was down on the right of way hanging block ribbon and my dog was up on the road and a hunter shot him, i'd be more than pissed as not only did that hunter kill my dog but almost killed me. Think about shit before you just jump out of your truck guns blazing.

Some good points here, and ncurrie again says it in her post. Its the hunters 100% responsibility to no there target or what they are shooting at. Then why are so many things killed by hunters that are not legal. Why are dogs mistaken for wolves or coyotes why are 3 point moose shot in a 2 point season why are 5 point elk shot in 6 point season why are 3 quarter sheep shot in full curl season, why are people shot well bugling elk or sitting on a quad.

Redthies
10-26-2018, 08:09 AM
I could definitely see someone mistaking him as a wolf, do you guys have any brands of orange dog blazers you've found you like best?

I have a Rivers West “Pointer Vest”, but as the name implies, it’s cut to fit pointing breeds. Not sure how well it would fit a shepherd though, but they may have other styles. My other dog is a Dachshund and is a bit more of a challenge to fit. But she is a fantastic hunter.

huntermike
10-26-2018, 08:17 AM
I agree nobody should be shooting a dog unless its about to chew there leg off ,But dog owners need to control their dogs at all times ,even in the woods,

REMINGTON JIM
10-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Some good points here, and ncurrie again says it in her post. Its the hunters 100% responsibility to no there target or what they are shooting at. Then why are so many things killed by hunters that are not legal. Why are dogs mistaken for wolves or coyotes why are 3 point moose shot in a 2 point season why are 5 point elk shot in 6 point season why are 3 quarter sheep shot in full curl season, why are people shot well bugling elk or sitting on a quad.

Because LOTs of People are just Plain STUPID and DUMB ! and JUST want to Shoot and Kill something ! :sad: RJ

Foxton Gundogs
10-26-2018, 08:39 AM
so we put in all this effort to get set up to be quiet to perhaps build a blind and then "Sally and Billy" can come hiking with "Buster" off leash scaring away any chance at a deer or like what happened to you distressing Black Bears, making that bear a danger now for possible future human interactions. We have no rights. I'm sure you would have been the one "punished" even in self defence if you woulda had to shoot "Buster"

The one thing I can not abide is to be out grouse hunting with one of my "fur babies" (as you put it) and have a covey busted by some inept nimrod stomping through the bush TRYING to "stalk" deer. There should be a law against it

LMFatAO

Jordan f.
10-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Dana is just chucking haymakers and connecting with each one. Too good.

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 09:40 AM
dana throwing straight right hands, BANG! A power left upper cut BOOM! Knockin his adversary for a spin and a stoopid grin WHAM!
Photo after photo of monster mules and deadly preds someone
-- Monster after monster whaaa is it Halloween or whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Jelly MU 3- two 8 - we do appreciate -- BAM! -- thank yah 3 -- the region 3 -- what 4? Come alive -- go hog wild -- like a real wild child -- up dah rivers -- more hore! :!:

northof49
10-26-2018, 09:49 AM
^^^^wow, you accidentally double up on the dose this morning Jelly...LOL

emerson
10-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Maybe if we get proportional representation Jelly will get a MLA seat. It would do my heart good job watching him confound other politicians. Sure might be unproductive, so what else is new about govt?

Fella
10-26-2018, 12:10 PM
I see Coplin hasn’t posted again. Probably out hunting deer in Oak Bay and getting mad at all the shih-tzu’s

Jagermeister
10-26-2018, 04:21 PM
no wonder dana hardly visits this site anymore lol. just youth bashing threads and threads like these :confused: reading these threads annoy the hell out of me, i feel the need to vent but i know it will do nothing so i keep my mouth shut.
FYI, the reason Dana was absent was due to getting punted, banned for similar diatribe such as his posts here on this thread. You have to understand that Dana's ego runs large. He implies the persona of Jermemiah Johnson and truthfully, he does spend more time outdoors than most by the nature of his job. A legend in his mind and it grows larger with each stroke he gets from his followers.
Fear of dogs. Certain dogs must be feared. If you happen upon a dog that shows aggression, chances are you might be getting bit. A dog that is afraid may show teeth, but it will most always turn sideways and have its tail in the lowered, tightly tucked position and do a sidestep retreat.
A number of years ago, I had a feral dog encounter. Actually, three dogs, a male, a bitch and I presume their nearly adult pup. I was returning to my truck nearby when these dogs happened along. I thought it was unusual for the location since there was no human habitation in the locale. I quickly came to the conclusion that they had no fear and did not like my presence. The male started to advance and I was now at my truck so I just hopped in. I rolled the window down a bit and started to talk to him, but his response was a very menacing rumbling growl. I started the truck and he rejoined his entourage and all three trotted off up the road a ways before entering into the forest. It was then I thought I should have stroked him when there was a chance. I related the story to a fellow a few weeks later that I met in the same area. He too had seen them but only while he was driving toward them. As he neared, they jumped off road. He slowed at that spot only to discover that they came back onto the road a couple of hundred feet behind him. Now when I encounter a dog in the bush, if there is not a human close by and he sports no "gear", I consider him feral and I will shoot him if he is not in retreat. Wolves and coyotes have a fear of man, feral dogs do not.

labguy
10-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Now when I encounter a dog in the bush, if there is not a human close by and he sports no "gear", I consider him feral and I will shoot him if he is not in retreat. Wolves and coyotes have a fear of man, feral dogs do not.

This is completely over over the top. How many feral dog attacks have there been on hunters in the bush? None that I know of. To even add this to your list of " things to worry about" when your hunting is totally absurd. You sir, need a serious reality check.

And to add, if this happened to one of my dogs it would not end well.

dana
10-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Looks like Jag has to look what is down his pants. He laughs at Coplin's inappropriate remark regarding my name but then gets offended when the same remark is applied to him. Hmm, sounds like hurt pussy and Coplins fancy word fits Jag just perfect. Hahaha. if Jag does pull the pin on any dog that he sees not wearing a collar, then he will make himself very famous as hunter's get yet another newstory badrap in this province. With the world full of cameras these days, his face will indeed be imfamous.

horshur
10-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Jag needs to lay off the cough medicine...

dana
10-26-2018, 06:08 PM
As has been stated before in this thread, only CO's and Peace officers are allowed to put down dogs running at large. Hunters that do are indeed breaking the law. Not only can that hunter be charges with improper use of a firearm, they can be sued for damages. And no, a judge is not going to side with the hunter based on his assessment that there was no collar so it was fair game. Maybe think before you type such nonsence.

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 06:09 PM
dana knows more about the bush and mules and moose in the river country and lakes and forests of thee beauty Nor Rivers than any other person reading this post.
-- jag's picked on someone a lil higher on the hunting pole -- Hahahahaha -
Jel -- dana for Mayor of Region 3 and 5 folks --> someone who can work the computer as well -- with awesome photos --

dana
10-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Jag needs to lay off the cough medicine...

Looks like he has been hitting the crack pipe too hard.

Jelvis
10-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Hahahahahahaha
Jel -- horsh of course -- yah

dana
10-26-2018, 06:30 PM
As usual Dana, amazing pictures!

Thanks! Thinking it is time to get this site back to where it is fun again. Posting hunting photos and having some good laughs over people's oversensitive reactions is a good start.

finngun
10-26-2018, 06:32 PM
if dog owner let rover loose in forest..hunting time or when ever..it is not anyone else to blame but doggy owner himself..if something bad happens,,at least put some bright color for rover..i seen doggy been shot in bush [i didnt shoot it]..that doggy looks exatly like coyote 200y away..sad but true..:confused:

dana
10-26-2018, 06:45 PM
In this day and age of bad press, you have some of the elite telling us we need to stop posting hunting photos online and hide. Nope! Wrong answer! What we need to do is stop doing stupid shit like shooting dogs! If you can't tell a dog from a coyote at 200 yards, I suggest you buy a better spotting scope and some binos. Proper Species ID is a must as a hunter. And 99% of the time, that dog at 200 yards has an owner relatively close. What are we taught when it comes to proper gun handling. Know your target and know what is beyond your target. Stop and think and use things like binos and spotting scopes to make your well informed decision. If the time it takes to ID the animal means the animal gets away. Too bad soo sad. That is hunting. If hunter's don't get these things engrained in their brains, then there is zero hope for the future of hunting.

labguy
10-26-2018, 07:01 PM
In this day and age of bad press, you have some of the elite telling us we need to stop posting hunting photos online and hide. Nope! Wrong answer! What we need to do is stop doing stupid shit like shooting dogs! If you can't tell a dog from a coyote at 200 yards, I suggest you buy a better spotting scope and some binos. Proper Species ID is a must as a hunter. And 99% of the time, that dog at 200 yards has an owner relatively close. What are we taught when it comes to proper gun handling. Know your target and know what is beyond your target. Stop and think and use things like binos and spotting scopes to make your well informed decision. If the time it takes to ID the animal means the animal gets away. Too bad soo sad. That is hunting. If hunter's don't get these things engrained in their brains, then there is zero hope for the future of hunting.

The thought of people like coplin, jag and fin wandering around in the bush with a firearm, scare me way worse than anything the wilderness could throw at me.

Wild one
10-26-2018, 07:01 PM

Completely agree hunters need to ditch the theory of hiding what we do from the public to try and save hunting. But instead just put an end to the trigger happy slob actions that make hunters look bad

Seems like too many are rushing or trying to justify a reason to pull the trigger and have no respect for the bush

Islander30
10-26-2018, 07:23 PM
So much aggression guys. I think the OP just without thinking, posted his frustrations in a thoughtless way...possibly because a dog and his owner may have( in his mind) ruined his hunt. Maybe he is inexpercienced and frustrated. I know how he feels, I'm a self taught hunter of a measealy 8 years and still feel like a total beginner, in fact the skill I've learned the most is dealing with frustration by constantly reminding myself I'm having fun...lol !

Dana I think he just got his back up because you told him to get a life. I think if you shared your wisdom( and I mean that sincerely) with some of these inexpercienced guys that don't think before they speak in a more easy to take manner, you could actually create some better hunters. At any rate your pictures are amazing ! You have shot MULTIPLE deer of a size that most guys, my self included only dream of getting a chance at once in their lifetime ! I'm truly humbled by your hunting knowledge and ability to find animals of a caliber that I honestly can't even comprehend ! Just incredible Dana !!!

finngun
10-26-2018, 08:05 PM
is it too much to ask for some persons like dana..labguy to read WHOLE story..//or are ya enjoining new legal SMOKE too much?.i didnt shoot it]/// i NEVER shot anybodys dog..why aggression toward to me?? i never had accident with my firearm in my close 70 years..not on my army year :cool:not on my rifle range many days...thousands shot.. i wanna keep it that way..:cool:

dana
10-26-2018, 08:17 PM
if dog owner let rover loose in forest..hunting time or when ever..it is not anyone else to blame but doggy owner himself..if something bad happens,,at least put some bright color for rover..i seen doggy been shot in bush [i didnt shoot it]..that doggy looks exatly like coyote 200y away..sad but true..:confused:

So you are a responsible firearms user, do you not think it wrong to not ID a target before pulling the pin. How is some dog's owner responsible for very poor firearms usuage? That is where I have the problem. Dog owners are not to blame. On lead or off. So what if a dog owner has the dog on lead but the hunter has a shitty 3x scope and pulls the pin on coyote looking dog at 200 yards. Lets say the owner was wearing natural colours and was not as obvious to the naked eye as that 'coyote' walking in front of them. Do you not see why it is important to ID your target with spotting scope and binos. Blaming dog owners for being out enjoying the outdoors with their pet during hunting season is just silly. Hunters need to practice safe firearm usage at all times.

Golddust
10-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Bingo. People not caring to be responsible is what's giving us a group a bad name. Well said Dana.

Golddust
10-26-2018, 08:48 PM
I agree, I just know there are people out there who won't care to be so observant. They just want to shoot at something living. So I figure a big orange vest will make them think a little before they pull their trigger is all. Better to be over cautious.

finngun
10-26-2018, 08:50 PM
Dog owners are not to blame:mrgreen: how come? if its illegal let doggy roam free in forest anytime?...unless cougar hunting..pointer dog hunting,,etc.where owner is near for sure./////. Blaming dog owners for being out enjoying the outdoors with their pet during hunting season is just silly.//// i just told ya dog owner who loves his dog..just put some orange..etc,,bright color on rover ,,that might help a lot..:roll:..is it too much to ask:confused: or is it that cloud again?

gcreek
10-26-2018, 08:56 PM
No problem with dog owners walking their dog off leash and in control of dog.

Big problem with dogs packing up and chasing game and livestock, those are the kind that need to go to the great dog diner in the sky. For those that don’t live near a Rez, you have no idea..........

dana
10-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Dog owners are not to blame:mrgreen: how come? if its illegal let doggy roam free in forest anytime?...unless cougar hunting..pointer dog hunting,,etc.where owner is near for sure./////. Blaming dog owners for being out enjoying the outdoors with their pet during hunting season is just silly.//// i just told ya dog owner who loves his dog..just put some orange..etc,,bright color on rover ,,that might help a lot..:roll:..is it too much to ask:confused: or is it that cloud again?

I guess you missed my post about flagging ribbon.

It it not illegal to be in the forest with dogs off lead. It is illegal to hunt with dogs off lead while hunting deer, elk, and other such critters. Not illegal to hunt for critters like bears, cougar, racoon, waterfowl, upland game birds, rabbits and hares. That is the hunting world. In the nonhunting world, dogs are free to roam off lead as long as they are not harrassing livestock or wildlife. If a hunter sees dogs harassing livestock or wildlife, they should call the authorities. it is pretty simple. It has been a few years since I read up about the Livestock act, but IIRC ranchers have the right to put down a dog that is harassing their livestock. That would be the only exception to peace officers.

Buckzilla
10-26-2018, 09:02 PM
No kidding!
Unreal pics!
thanks for sharing. WELL DONE!

finngun
10-26-2018, 09:04 PM
No problem with dog owners walking their dog off leash and in control of dog.

Big problem with dogs packing up and chasing game and livestock, those are the kind that need to go to the great dog diner in the sky. For those that don’t live near a Rez, you have no idea..........
Totally agreed,,,,or semi wild indian dogs running outside of reserve..usually several dogs on packs..

finngun
10-26-2018, 09:18 PM
coplin===Crown Land, The law is quite clear that dogs are never allowed to be off leash in a wildlife habitat area unless specific signs are posted stating otherwise but people do it anyways:shock: so dog owners are never in blame...ehh?

dana
10-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Do you know what a wildlife habitat area is? They are designated on maps and pretty much have the same protection as parks. Most of the time, they are strictly no hunting areas as well. They are not how you are intrupting them as all Crown Land. But now I see why you and coplin are confussed if you believed them to be all Crown Land.

LBM
10-26-2018, 09:29 PM
The thought of people like coplin, jag and fin wandering around in the bush with a firearm, scare me way worse than anything the wilderness could throw at me.

A lot more then them IMO

joshbazz
10-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Man, as a new hunter - freshly converted over the past few years of my ignorant views towards the killing of animals, this is a little disconcerting with some of the bandying back and forth. If what I remember from CORE is accurate, then the original poster's question has been answered: The non-hunting public has every right to enjoy crown lands as they see fit – following governing laws (meaning they can't harass anyone, etc), and are not required to vacate because hunters are in the area – whether they have a dog or not.

However, it seems the topic has turned onto shooting dogs out in the field - which astounds me. As far as I know, you can only shoot what you have a tag for, as well as wolves and small game/upland birds (with the proper weapon, of course).

I don't think I'm wrong in understanding that dogs, feral or otherwise do not qualify as a legal shootable species.

I think most would agree that if you are getting lethally attacked by any animal, or person for that matter, you have the right to protect your life – however the manner in which you choose to do that may have severe consequences.

I don't think it's useful for anyone reading these forums, including new hunters like myself, to read, and I'll paraphrase "if a pack of wild dogs attacks you, shoot them". Also, regarding wolf and coyote: the onus of properly identifying your target animal is 100% the hunter's responsibility. The hunter must be 100% sure of the identity of the animal, not 50%, not 99% - 100%. Otherwise, as others have said, DO NOT SHOOT. This bears repeating.

On a previous elk hunt, a hunter in our party said when we came upon the herd at 300 yards, "we're bound to hit something if we just shoot in that direction". Understanding the perspective of this individual, I calmly dissuaded him by saying he could ruin the meat with a gut shot, not to mention the ethics of not going for a one-shot-kill. Needless to say, I won't be hunting with him again unless his outlook completely changes.

Sounds like most here are of an ethical hunting perspective, and my hope is most will follow that direction.

Thanks for sharing the pics Dana, very inspiring.

finngun
10-26-2018, 10:16 PM
josh...as a new hunter.////..after many years of hunting ya will realise:idea: there are two kind of hunters///those who made mistake,,,and those who has'nt make it yet. one way or the another..but hopefully we all learn by making them.i haven't seen perfect hunter yet,,by my over 60 hunting years.;-)

Jagermeister
10-26-2018, 10:35 PM
This is completely over over the top. How many feral dog attacks have there been on hunters in the bush? None that I know of. To even add this to your list of " things to worry about" when your hunting is totally absurd. You sir, need a serious reality check.

And to add, if this happened to one of my dogs it would not end well.
Keep your dog under control and you will never have a problem. That's what I do and I absolutely detest dog owner's that think it is their divine to let their fido run freely.
Letting their dog run and attack someone else's dog who is on leash. Get this straight, I have had it happen to me. The dog was not shot as I was not armed with firearm but I put myself between the "lobo" and my dog. I had knife in hand and was prepared to defend both of us, it came to a stand off. Stupid f***ing owner arrived shortly but why should I have to have the stress because he had no control of his mutt! F***ing moron!
Before you spout off again about reality checks, take a long look at yourself in the mirror.

labguy
10-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Keep your dog under control and you will never have a problem. That's what I do and I absolutely detest dog owner's that think it is their divine to let their fido run freely.
Letting their dog run and attack someone else's dog who is on leash. Get this straight, I have had it happen to me. The dog was not shot as I was not armed with firearm but I put myself between the "lobo" and my dog. I had knife in hand and was prepared to defend both of us, it came to a stand off. Stupid f***ing owner arrived shortly but why should I have to have the stress because he had no control of his mutt! F***ing moron!
Before you spout off again about reality checks, take a long look at yourself in the mirror.

You're out to lunch. Nowhere have I advocated for dogs running free without supervision. I too have had my dog attacked by a loose dog who was not under control. Unfortunately my dog didn't make it.

I always have control over my dog and have no use for people who don't. Get a grip man.....before you spout off again...

Gateholio
10-26-2018, 11:07 PM
I think the OPs question was answered