PDA

View Full Version : Monashee Snow Level

waserwolf
10-24-2018, 08:33 AM
Good Day All.

Just wondering if anyone has a snow report for the Monashees.
I work shift work up North and can't wait to get outta here and try out my new Seek Outside Cimarron and Stove. I'm home Oct 31 and am curious how much snow there is in the Monashees. I'll be watchin out the Plane Window for sure.
I'm thinking about hiking in somewhere. Depending on my buddies schedule I may be looking for a partner as well.

Thanks.

bcfirefly
10-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Depends where in the monashees you are looking at. A dusting of snow last month but nothing since with a beauty fall so far. Overnight temps crisp but at elevation in the sun getting towards 10C. Weather is shifting and we normally start to see some wet snow by the end of the month but right now the temps are on the warmer side.

waserwolf
10-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Thinking of hunting up South Fork. My research has found that South Fork is washed out. Potentially less hunters in there now.

boxhitch
10-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Sol Mountain webcam seems stuck on Oct 3
Nothing showing on Silver Star or Big White cams, but night temps are dropping some

waserwolf
10-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Never even thought about checking Web Cams. Great idea. Not worried about Night Temps with my Cimarron and Stove ��

g2mike
10-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Sugar mountain had about 5 to 6" at the end of September and is almost completely melted as of last week.

boxhitch
10-24-2018, 07:46 PM
sites like SS and BW also show air temps and later, forecasts
these can be used to predict snow or rain fall at higher elevations than town weather forecasts

This time of year if SS webcam shows snow at 4 a.m. I'm suddenly too sick for woik )

mike31154
10-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Yep, webcams are great resource. As Sol transitions from mountain biking season to backcountry skiing, their cam should update more frequently. I follow them on Instagram as well since they post photos every day or so, although not always from the lodge. Here's a link to another useful site, specific to mountain weather. Search for a mountain near your area of interest & you get a detailed forecast. In this example you're able to change elevation for more specific info at different altitudes, which can be a game changer in the mountains. This time of year be prepared for anything, weather changes fast and can vary from one drainage to the next.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Queest-Mountain/forecasts/2087

.264winmag
10-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Thinking of hunting up South Fork. My research has found that South Fork is washed out. Potentially less hunters in there now.
Was snowing a bit ip there yesterday, but not sticking. There's snow/ice patches in the shade but lots of green grass showing in the alpine still. T-shirt weather still mid-day. SF washed out huge this spring, and the Jurrasic bridge been pulled...

ncurrie
10-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Considering where southfork is washed out that’s going to be quite the hike ��

g2mike
10-25-2018, 10:43 PM
SF washed out huge this spring, and the Jurrasic bridge been pulled...
I can't quite remember but is Jurassic the road that heads over and up monashee mountain from South fork road near yeoward? Are you referring to the bridge right where it meets south fork? When did the pull the bridge out? Was up there 3 times this year, most recently a month ago and love the area

.264winmag
10-27-2018, 10:33 PM
I can't quite remember but is Jurassic the road that heads over and up monashee mountain from South fork road near yeoward? Are you referring to the bridge right where it meets south fork? When did the pull the bridge out? Was up there 3 times this year, most recently a month ago and love the area

First bridge on jurassic is washed out. Would have happened during freshet so if you travelled a bridge three weeks ago I'd think it's still there? Cheers

.264winmag
10-27-2018, 10:37 PM
And we had snow up 6000'+ couple days ago but it's pretty much melted off up to 6500' already. Some warm during the day!