PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bar deer hunting

Hunter1573
10-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Thinking about the Boston Bar area. I heard Anderson forestry service road and spuzzum holds some deer, interested in hiking more than road hunting so hiking in won’t be a problem wondering about the area if it’s worth it or to head up the highway more. Looking for somewhere about 2 hours from lower mainland for a day trip and maybe some over nighters

RackStar
10-21-2018, 10:39 AM
If I was you I would go another 25 min. Opens up some more around LyNtton

i was looking at some of those open hill sides off the highway yesterday on my drive. I would park off the highway and hike straight up the hill...I bet you would see no people and lots of deer.

todbartell
10-21-2018, 11:08 AM
I would park off the highway and hike straight up the hill...

but wouldn't that get a guy sweating? Clammy...cold...miserable.

caddisguy
10-21-2018, 11:28 AM
That's some steep country

I shot a grouse in a tree about 20 yards off the road last weekend... had to scramble 50M down the slope (cliff?) to retrieve it then climb back up. Can't imagine if was a deer lol

There are deer around. I have seen the odd doe but don't know the area will enough to have figured out the deer.

Boston Bar is also very thick. As RackStar mention, you get into a little more open country driving a bit further.

Ferenc
10-21-2018, 11:29 AM
The deer are in there ..... not like years ago, some of the old pockets still hold them .... if you see a wolf kill em dead
do not hesitate.

whitlers
10-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Steep thick country up there. I would spend my time elsewhere but that's just me

Busterpayton54
10-21-2018, 06:43 PM
All ther is up Anderson now is wolves. And a lot of them.

Sawickispeed
10-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Tons of wolves. Some Deer sign But see. Very little in terms of actual deer. Done about 8 trips to the area this season. Cut my Mule tag elsewhere.

Deerhunter2006
10-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Just got back an hour ago from out trip, started near Lytton and hunted around there and south west for Saturday, got 2 grouse and saw one big black bear, no deep, today we started our drive from 80km past Boston bar and head through nahatlach to east Harrison, no signs of anything

Hunter1573
10-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Might have to go after some wolves seems like a big problem this year

Hunter1573
10-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Gonna try some fsr up highway 3 before manning park such as eight mile, eleven mile, and sumallo fsr I checked eight mile creek last year and tons of sign

RackStar
10-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Gonna try some fsr up highway 3 before manning park such as eight mile, eleven mile, and sumallo fsr I checked eight mile creek last year and tons of sign

Mine aswell keep going till sunday summit. Big mule deer here. And elk

RackStar
10-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Ahh damn.. your right.

Better drive the Anderson main in the warm truck with a hot coffee and burn 80 bucks in fuel.

Wild one
10-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Boston bar has been hit hard for about 20years and was nothing special back then

Try places you don’t hear about others hunting

There was one post with some reasonable advice given on this thread. I actually used to do exactly what was advised for deer in that area so it is possible to run into another hunter lol

Salty
10-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Might have to go after some wolves seems like a big problem this year

Haven't been to BB this year but post hunting season last year in the snow on the Anderson I saw more wolf sign than anywhere I've seen in region 2. By far.

Hunter1573
10-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Might try Sunday summit or some other road up there, heard it can be a hit or miss not really sure where to go in the Princeton area

twoSevenO
10-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Is this why you no longer hunt blacktails? Lol

mcmullmar
10-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Princeton area is hunted hard.

Hunter1573
10-22-2018, 05:05 PM
I’ve heard that from people seems kinda hard to get away from every body might go up clear water and check it out

Wild one
10-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Clearwater was a running joke on this forum for years and where everyone was told to go

expect company lol

caddisguy
10-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Woke up to some wolf tracks in BB. Never saw any of those punks though. Just some birds and a couple blackies, though one looked like a tank.

One thing I noticed at BB (spent 5 or 6 nights sleeping up there last couple weeks) is there were more vehicles going up and coming down at night (1am-4am) than during the day. Made me a bit suspicious... I can see heading in and setting up camp but I thought coming out a couple hours later was odd. I guess I shouldn't think that way though. Could just be some guys just like going out for a midnight ride.

Driving Anderson main with a Timmie's sounds awesome. I checked that road on my way out for a bit... nice and flat. How far is it drivable? I got distracted by the first spur that went way up to some power lines lol (like half the other roads) ... wish I would have explored Anderson before utilius and spius... driving up and down those roads burns gas and increases my scent profile because of the burning tire and brake smell... then the brakes start squeaking and it's hard to sneak up on anything :(

More seriously though. Is it still passable to the Coq? The road that goes up Stoyoma seemed to be the best bet... other possible route I checked out looked pretty grown in... looks like it eventually works its way around and back down the other side.

180grainer
10-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Anything a couple or three hours from the LML is going to be a gong show.

Ferenc
10-22-2018, 05:46 PM
You can continue on Uztilius past the pond and beaver house to the Coldwater and onto Merritt ... would have a whitetail tag as you get closer to the Coldwater and the bush opens up .. one long hill before the pond ... heavy snow can cause issues ... bring chains if in there in November just in case . The mule deer in there exhibit blacktail features .. any deer out of there is rewarding. : )

Wild one
10-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Anything a couple or three hours from the LML is going to be a gong show.

Yes and no

There is still lots of pockets that don’t get pressure. A lot of the FSRs are busy yes

easy trick to beat crowds is in this thread

caddisguy
10-22-2018, 06:04 PM
You can continue on Uztilius past the pond and beaver house to the Coldwater and onto Merritt ... would have a whitetail tag as you get closer to the Coldwater and the bush opens up .. one long hill before the pond ... heavy snow can cause issues ... bring chains if in there in November just in case . The mule deer in there exhibit blacktail features .. any deer out of there is rewarding. : )

Thanks I will have to see if I can figure it out from the mapbook. I got a bit confused about which road I was on. I remember a sign saying East Uztilius / Stoyoma but later I think it said Spius. I'd bring chains an extra gas for sure. It already snowed up there a little bit.

Actually maybe this will help. Around 6km the road forks... left side the counter starts at 0.5km and eventually goes to that Stoyoma sign (around 7km later) and then on and on (I think I drove a good 30k north east but more north than east) right side of that fork I think I drove 17 or 18km then drove through a washout/creek but after that it looked pretty grown in... wasn't sure how far it would be jeepable.

caddisguy
10-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Yes and no

There is still lots of pockets that don’t get pressure. A lot of the FSRs are busy yes

easy trick to beat crowds is in this thread

Walk 300 meters into the timber anywhere (even east Harrison) and there are no people. Walk 2-3km and it is likely nobody has set foot there for decades... especially if any hills were involved :)

I figure Region 2 on average gets less pressure than most places in BC. All the pressure is condensed to the few roads we have and typically you can't see anything from said roads. 95% of the land as a whole gets 0 pressure.

Wild one
10-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Walk 300 meters into the timber anywhere (even east Harrison) and there are no people. Walk 2-3km and it is likely nobody has set foot there for decades... especially if any hills were involved :)

I figure Region 2 on average gets less pressure than most places in BC. All the pressure is condensed to the few roads we have and typically you can't see anything from said roads. 95% of the land as a whole gets 0 pressure.

Ditch the use of FSRs as your starting point for your hike and think how little pressure the game sees

Now find access far away from FSRs along with crossing a natural barrier and think about what you may find lol

This goes for all regions 2 included

Sawickispeed
10-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Thanks I will have to see if I can figure it out from the mapbook. I got a bit confused about which road I was on. I remember a sign saying East Uztilius / Stoyoma but later I think it said Spius. I'd bring chains an extra gas for sure. It already snowed up there a little bit.

Actually maybe this will help. Around 6km the road forks... left side the counter starts at 0.5km and eventually goes to that Stoyoma sign (around 7km later) and then on and on (I think I drove a good 30k north east but more north than east) right side of that fork I think I drove 17 or 18km then drove through a washout/creek but after that it looked pretty grown in... wasn't sure how far it would be jeepable.

ive done it a couple times in my one ton ford. Nothing major. I’d bring chains now for sure as the snow gets deep up top. You can for sure get from Anderson main to Coldwater or head north and exit closer to merit.

twoSevenO
10-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Ditch the use of FSRs as your starting point for your hike and think how little pressure the game sees

Now find access far away from FSRs along with crossing a natural barrier and think about what you may find lol

This goes for all regions 2 included

Dont use FSRs as starting points? That's absurd.

Mosin
10-22-2018, 11:21 PM

Yes but if you did it dressed head to toe in kuui gear it would make a wonderful selfie to be enjoyed by generations to come. You can hang the picture in a location suggesting you wanted it to be discreet but somehow it's in your office where everyone comes and sees it and you yearn for someone to ask "is that you? You hunt? Isn't it scary hunting bears? You then flex your chest while simultaneously sucking in your gut and say..."yeah I was spotting my hunting buddy when this thing charged and I was forced to dispatch it, lucky I was there"

Mosin
10-22-2018, 11:22 PM

That is sound advice...I just wonder how many phucktards are gonna get themselves lost though haha

Wild one
10-23-2018, 06:27 AM
Dont use FSRs as starting points? That's absurd.

Most think it’s about how remote you can get well it’s not in my opinion it’s about going where most people don’t. There is tons of ground people don’t step foot on. Lots of bush that cannot be accessed by FSR or can be accessed an easier way. Guys think hiking into the alpine gets them away. Well this gets you away from most but it also has a large fallowing of hunters and hikers that disturb these animals at times

Start thinking outside the box and you can find some interesting pockets.

The mention of hiking off the Hwy in this thread well myself and two others would do it but all of us have now moved too far to hunt it. We researched our access points and also knocked on doors to get permission to cross private land to do so.

This is just one way to avoid FSRs and not my favourite. This style of hunting involves a lot of research, scouting, and figuring out access issues. If you are a hunter who needs miles to hunt odds are you will get frustrated

You can hike like a mad man to successfully avoid others or you can avoid them from the start. Myself I am a work smarter not harder kind of guy lol

Still think its absurd?

caddisguy
10-23-2018, 08:02 AM
That is sound advice...I just wonder how many phucktards are gonna get themselves lost though haha

I can't speak for the others, but I know I do! :)

One time I got stuck in a surprisingly small patch of timber. I had just gone to put a cam in a nice looking spot I noticed a week prior. The one time you don't bring your pack with the compass and you end up with thick fog. Kept ending up at this swamp on the north side of the timber (which stretched about 1km before a main road) and I needed to be 1km the opposite direction (to a deactivated road where the jeep was) Moss didn't help, tried lining up trees 30 yards ahead to make a straight line, but going around obstacles always got me turned around. About the 4th time we ended up back at the swamp we just decided to slug through it to the main road then walk around 5km to where the Jeep was. Walk of shame lol

In other cases the compass doesn't always help. Sometime I just assume there are multiple ways up and down a mountain. Sometimes it is true but other times you get most of the way down then get ledged up... not really lost, just a logistical problem of my own creation.

Jelvis
10-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Mosin for Mayor of Sanity
Jel -- Hahaha -- mosin the story teller? -- some good stuff hunter -- the phucktards thingy was hill hairy ass Hahahaha

Mosin
10-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Mosin for Mayor of Sanity
Jel -- Hahaha -- mosin the story teller? -- some good stuff hunter -- the phucktards thingy was hill hairy ass Hahahaha

my other personal favorite is dyckhole

RackStar
10-23-2018, 10:55 AM
No matter where you hunt. You need to do your homework and leg work... nothings a gimmie out there. Hunt where it’s busy... but hunt the overlooked spot.

Jumping all over the globe is probably the least productive way to hunt. Find a area, get to know it and hunt it...

twoSevenO
10-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Most think it’s about how remote you can get well it’s not in my opinion it’s about going where most people don’t. There is tons of ground people don’t step foot on. Lots of bush that cannot be accessed by FSR or can be accessed an easier way. Guys think hiking into the alpine gets them away. Well this gets you away from most but it also has a large fallowing of hunters and hikers that disturb these animals at times

Start thinking outside the box and you can find some interesting pockets.

The mention of hiking off the Hwy in this thread well myself and two others would do it but all of us have now moved too far to hunt it. We researched our access points and also knocked on doors to get permission to cross private land to do so.

This is just one way to avoid FSRs and not my favourite. This style of hunting involves a lot of research, scouting, and figuring out access issues. If you are a hunter who needs miles to hunt odds are you will get frustrated

You can hike like a mad man to successfully avoid others or you can avoid them from the start. Myself I am a work smarter not harder kind of guy lol

Still think its absurd?

Yeah, i do. Just because there are good hunting spots that can be accessed directly off a highway doesn't mean there are no good spots that are accessed via FSRs. A vast majority of good hunting spots are accessed via FSRs and that's a fact. To just rule it out is, as i said, absurd.

It's like saying you can fish coho in the vedder canal and there's no need to drive 20km up the river. Yeah, you can .... doesn't mean the canal guys are gonna catch them all and make it pointless for the guys up above.

Wild one
10-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Yeah, i do. Just because there are good hunting spots that can be accessed directly off a highway doesn't mean there are no good spots that are accessed via FSRs. A vast majority of good hunting spots are accessed via FSRs and that's a fact. To just rule it out is, as i said, absurd.

It's like saying you can fish coho in the vedder canal and there's no need to drive 20km up the river. Yeah, you can .... doesn't mean the canal guys are gonna catch them all and make it pointless for the guys up above.

I still have good spots that involve FSR access

Though my best spots have involved odd ball access this goes beyond hiking of Hwys even

In the end do what works for you but you don’t need to follow the normal train of thought

Good2bCanadian
10-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Lots of deer near the cabins. Lol
Always see them crossing there.

I know 2 groups of hunters that have had double header bucks up that valley.

twoSevenO
10-23-2018, 01:59 PM
I still have good spots that involve FSR access

Though my best spots have involved odd ball access this goes beyond hiking of Hwys even

In the end do what works for you but you don’t need to follow the normal train of thought

You sound like you think you're the only guy who hikes into a spot straight off a highway ... newsflash lots of people do that. Obviously just not in the same spot as you. Good spots are found all over. FSR access, highway access, private land etc.

Yes, natural barriers generally produce good pockets, but let's not discredit spots accessed via FSRs just because that's what others do.

Do you have some pics or all this success you want to share with the rest? I dont recall seeing anything from you lately :D

Just sayin..... your word goes a lot further on here if you can back it up with some sweet pics of the success for us to enjoy! :)

RackStar
10-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Princeton area is hunted hard.

South to north everywhere is hunted hard lmao.
Find a pocket and hunt it. Game over.

browningboy
10-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Go to Kieoki Lakes

RackStar
10-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Go to tunkwa

not many people there

Wild one
10-23-2018, 03:21 PM
You sound like you think you're the only guy who hikes into a spot straight off a highway ... newsflash lots of people do that. Obviously just not in the same spot as you. Good spots are found all over. FSR access, highway access, private land etc.

Yes, natural barriers generally produce good pockets, but let's not discredit spots accessed via FSRs just because that's what others do.

Do you have some pics or all this success you want to share with the rest? I dont recall seeing anything from you lately :D

Just sayin..... your word goes a lot further on here if you can back it up with some sweet pics of the success for us to enjoy! :)

Yup others hike off the highway it’s just way less common but there is even a few popular pockets. Yes you can find good pockets just about anywhere.

Never been one to post pics no plans to either(don’t even know how lol). Not worried about hunting street cred either as it does not matter to me lol.

No possible way I could know anything

Hunterguy
10-23-2018, 03:45 PM
To early for Boston Bar. When the snow line is half way down the mountain 6 click on the fsr. Start walking the ridges.

RackStar
10-23-2018, 04:21 PM
To early for Boston Bar. When the snow line is half way down the mountain 6 click on the fsr. Start walking the ridges.
It’s to hot, to cold, to snowy , to sunny , to rainy

millions of excuses why ppl can’t shoot a deer.

caddisguy
10-23-2018, 05:37 PM
It’s to hot, to cold, to snowy , to sunny , to rainy

millions of excuses why ppl can’t shoot a deer.

Moon is pretty full this weekend. I might call it and just make it a couch weekend with Netflix and HBC postings :D

Good advice from Hunterguy about optimal timing for those with limited time though. I imagine a foot or two of snow at 1000-1500M will condense a lot of deer lower down.

RackStar
10-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Or it’s to busy, over hunted, “Indians must have been in here “ etc etc

what other popular ones are out there?

caddisguy
10-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Or it’s to busy, over hunted, “Indians must have been in here “ etc etc

what other popular ones are out there?

Seen caddisguy's jeep parked and heard dueling banjos off in the distance