PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear locations

cjensan
10-20-2018, 09:53 PM
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to good spots for fall bear hunting.

I'd prefer a location in the fraser valley. But am willing to travel.

I've searched and have checked out American creek FSR just outside of hope, and have headed up the Squamish river forest service road and numerous off branches.
I didn't manage to locate any bear poop anywhere. I found numerous openings with berries and lots of food sources but no bear poop anywhere.

Any suggestions welcomed.

I am hunting specifically for meat (not a hide person). So prefer spots away from garbage.

TIA

butcher
10-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Watched a nice one munching alfalfa tonight while I was waiting for the whitetail deer to show up. Quite a way from the LML though.

srupp
10-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Watched a nice one munching alfalfa tonight while I was waiting for the whitetail deer to show up. Quite a way from the LML though.

Geoff..are the bear numbers lower this year? Seems to be much lower in Cariboo east . seen only 4 bears. .non big.
Hope you get your deer.
Cheers
Steven
Ps going out for deer where a big bruin has been for a few weeks..happen to have a spare bear tag next to my mule deer tag..lol

180grainer
10-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Geoff..are the bear numbers lower this year? Seems to be much lower in Cariboo east . seen only 4 bears. .non big.
Hope you get your deer.
Cheers
Steven
Ps going out for deer where a big bruin has been for a few weeks..happen to have a spare bear tag next to my mule deer tag..lol
Wonder what would make their numbers drop, if in fact they have.

HarryToolips
10-20-2018, 11:58 PM
^^^a poor berry season last year perhaps?

Mosin
10-21-2018, 04:30 AM
I haven't had a season where bear sign was as scarce as it was this fall. I didn't even see a bear, I saw the odd scat and that's it...except for the one that Knicks over my garbage can every night

Rayne
10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
I’ve seen atleast one bear every day I’ve been in the bush this year and I hunt every weekend.

butcher
10-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Hope you get your deer.
Cheers
Steven

Lots around here but haven’t seen a good one for some time. You could do well hunting the local subdivisions. Just need a van with a sliding side door and do drive by shootings in the dark.

RackStar
10-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Lots around here but haven’t seen a good one for some time. You could do well hunting the local subdivisions. Just need a van with a sliding side door and do drive by shootings in the dark.

Ya come by my house around mid night. There’s one the siZe of a cattle that keeps vandalizing, he’s a monster... potentially book.

All jokes aside PG had a pretty bumper crop year for Berries. If your willing to travel come take 2.

caddisguy
10-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Odd to hear reports of low bear numbers. We saw a decent amount over the Spring and Summer and we have seen one every weekend the last two trips... scat everywhere too.

I suspect one bear was a tank. We camped way up a hill and figured the thermals would be going up at first light. Wrong... but worked out way down anyway. My brother spotted a bear @ 500 yards and pointed it out. It was already standing on it's hind legs decide to wander off in the bush by the time we got to 400 yards. I don't have much experience with spotting bears from far away, but being able to see the outline and everything in detail from that decides made me think BIG BEAR lol

American Creek? Hmm I have never checked out that road. Not sure how high up it goes. All the bear sign / action we're seeing is around 1000M. I would recommend driving a little further up the Canyon and then gaining some elevation to get into a mountain berry blackie.

butcher
10-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Just saw a HOG in the alfalfa tonight. Thinking about taking him down tomorrow

Moosehunter64
10-21-2018, 06:44 PM
We were hunting west of Quesnel for moose and deer and saw more bears than moose. Mostly Sows with young ones.

sparkes3
10-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Seen two yesterday , one at Sunday summit and one a little closer to Princeton ,
one of those is in my freezer tonight .

Deer_Slayer
10-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Going to get lower year by year me thinks. The guys who like bear galls & paws are out in force. Pretty sad, used to see more bears than deer. Now don't see any.

cjensan
10-25-2018, 12:12 PM
I’m actually needing to head to the island shortly and Saturday looks nicer over there. If anyone has any suggestions for locations there that would be great too