PDA

View Full Version : Caribou area hunt oct 2018

Bullseye Bob
10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
After finding no leh draws this year me and my hunting partner were interested in trying to find an area we could hunt whitetails as well as mulies without heading to far east or north so a phone call to steven rupp was in order to see if there were any decent pockets of whitetails in the caribou,as allways steven had some ideas and the desicion was made to hunt a new area to me around 150 mile,i love the challenge of figuring out new areas so off we went for sept 29 until oct 9.
After setting up camp and some scouting out the area we had a plan for morning,while checking out the area right away we saw several deer and one small black bear that was hanging with the cattle.first morning and after noon we managed to bump a decent buck but wasnt legal until oct 1 , overall a pretty uneventfull day other than seeing some nice country and realizing it was very heavy bush in this area.Day two came and so did the snow and nightime temps down to minus 9 with around 5 inches of snow.with the changing weather deer sightings became sparse but we stuck to it and started to hunt later in the day when it warmed up and bingo the deer were up and about.On the third day we had hunted hard and decided to stop on the power lines for a pee break while standing there wiener in hand this mulie buck comes busting out and makes the sprint across the power lines to the bush on the other side,we pick up its tracks and my buddy heads in after it and i wait at the power lines incase the buck circles back and guess what he did and boom one buck down.now we were hoping to find some whitetails as well but we hadnt even seen any yet so we decided to head down lower and walk some old meadows as it turned out that was the ticket,we bumped two whitie bucks a 3 point and a 4 point,three was to smart but the 4 point is now garlic sausage.in all it was a great trip in a new area and with the help of steven it was a success.i do have pics
If someone would like to post them i can email to u.thanks again steven.

srupp
10-19-2018, 08:57 PM
As we discussed prior to your hunt. .whitetails are in a few small pockets..the Caribou is not known for whities..1 mile in either direction nada.
Congrads Ed you guys obviously found the area in question. .healthy deer too.
Congrads
Steven