PDA

View Full Version : ground blinds..make model store

srupp
10-17-2018, 08:50 PM
So after 11 years trying I pulled a mule deer tag during the rut on Alberta /Sask border plus whitetail does / bucks.my hunter host went out today to scout the area and arrived to find his blind stolen!...after recently having my game camera stolen I can relate .
I need some help, and mostly advice..im pretty big guy, plus heater. .plus wife in the blind..2 chairs..
Im only going to be there for a few days..but need a blind..so..
Dont want to spend a fortune but want a reasonable quality, reasonable size given the above parameters..
I will also have a Buddy heater. .tank goes outside.
Recomendations..PLEASE
Which store Please..
And I may need someone to throw ...sorry no GReyhound..dammit..!
Is there a cabelas in Edmonton?
I DO NOT want to borrow one..buddy already had his stolen from large private ranch !
Time is ticking..I appreciate any suggestions...experienced help..will also check with Chilcotin Hillbilly he uses ground blinds for some hunts..
Thanks guys..ladies..
Appreciate any suggestions.
Steven Rupp

New Bow Hunter
10-17-2018, 08:57 PM
https://thegearhunt.com/best-hunting-blinds-reviewed/

Yes there is a Cabela's in Edmonton. One in North Edmonton and one in South Edmonton.

Harvest the Land
10-17-2018, 09:00 PM
By far the best in my opionion are made by Barronett. I have 3 of the Big Cat 350's and they're awesome. You can stand inside them (for stretching) and more than enough room for 2 people. Super durable and waterfroof. No velcro on the windows or the door. Take a look on their website. Or you can buy them on amazon and Walmart (maybe online only?)

one-shot-wonder
10-17-2018, 09:54 PM
I recommend the Primos Double Bullpen Blind. Built very sturdily this robust blind has lots of room for the two of you. Not sure you want to spend that much on a ground blind, but if you use it more than just your Alberta hunt it is worth it in my opinion.

srupp
10-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Watched video of Primos leaking like a sieve for $500..video is worst $500 wasted..
Like the size of Baronett pentagon...says available from Amazon..how to contact amazon.lsays it ships in 1.,2 days..lol from ? Need it here in 1.5 weeks..
Will also phone Barronett..
Was hugely surprised and disapointed at Primos $500 blind was leaking as bad as it was raining outside..horrible..
Steven

Rackmastr
10-17-2018, 11:44 PM
Have had great luck with Primos and Double Bull in the past. I have a Rhino blind that's been bombproof and has lasted a long time left out for long periods.

Also a cheap Ameristep does the trick nicely and is dirt cheap in most cases.

Cyrus
10-18-2018, 07:13 AM
I had the ameristep man cave blind. Largest blind made..can stand up and shoot. Could fit an entire family in it. Sold it for a 100 bucks otherwise woulda got it to you in the puddle. I had 4 others but sold them. The ameristep material is the best imo as it is soft material and not loud. No velcro either.

Springer
10-18-2018, 07:28 AM
I agree with Cyrus on the ameristep. Its not just the quality but also the amount you use it to what you want to spend. Also if Susan kicks you out for a few days it will be a good doghouse for you and Ebony.
Also how much use in the future will you use it at home . You have the patience to sit Elmer , I however need more Velcro straps to make me sit still long enough in my chair.
I still have 2 smaller ones if worse comes to worse. I got a trail cam pic but not very good one of the A holes driving by after they stole it in a walk in only area...
Im thinking it has to be someone who has hunted here before . Ford truck is all i can make of the pic.
Frigg'n Thieves eh.

srupp
10-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Well sitting in my livingroom..with BRAND NEW Ameristep ELEMENT ground blind set up ! Soft exterior material seems quality.
Lots of shooting positions, windows.strong well thought out entrance zipper.windows use toggles..no ripping velcro.
I can enter , exit pretty well...lots of room to stand up straight .shooting ports on all sides..no ripped window material.
Im going to use seam sealer on the seams tommorrow.then spray it down with silicon waterproofing...few cans ought to do it ?
The container said 75 ? inches x 75 inches but since its 5 sided its actually bigger..lots of room...67 inches high?
Hope my Alberta hunter host friend thinks its ok ? It actually was ordered in by outfitter out east who didnt like it..huh?
I will use my own tent stakes..these are flimsy..
Only thing I didnt like was $$$$$$$ PRICE..HOWEVER buy once cry once..
I will update all on my HUNTER HOST reaction.
Thank you all for your immediate helpful responses, noticed and appreciated.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
10-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Hmmm sooooooo...if I take my wife Susan to Alberta and we 2 go sit in our new Ameristep ELEMENT ground blind..

Is this considered.." a blind date " ?...lol

Back in the dog house...he he

86k20
10-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Hit it with seam sealer on all the stitching. Will take care of the threads wicking in water.

srupp
10-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Hit it with seam sealer on all the stitching. Will take care of the threads wicking in water.

Bought 3 tubes of seam sealer...and 4 cans of silicon spray waterproofing..both non scent..no smell for hunting ground blinds..will do the seam sealing tommorrow before heading out deer hunting.will silicone spray the next day ..then I can air it out for 2 weeks.
Good tip.
Steven

moosecamp
10-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Just watch out for dogs when you're airing it out. My neighbor had his set out in his back yard and his dog would go over and lift his leg and give it a squirt once in awhile.

srupp
10-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Just watch out for dogs when you're airing it out. My neighbor had his set out in his back yard and his dog would go over and lift his leg and give it a squirt once in awhile.

Good point..our back yard is 100 % dogproof with 6 foot chain link..will have to watch Ebony. .but SHE squats to pee..lol
Cheers
Steven

srupp
10-19-2018, 03:28 PM
First coat of seam sealer finished. .will check for touch up spots tommorrow. .then slicon spray on out side..water proofing dilicon..and also has UV inhibitors. .helps lessen/prevent sun damage....
Its big enough , Steven likes it..however my hunter host doesnt think much of it..because he is such a great friend,, Brother he has offered to store it keep it at his home so im not embarrassed by beeing seen with it taking it home.great friend.
Steven

srupp
10-20-2018, 05:26 PM
So..slight change in plan's. .the inside was hit using seam sealer..tubes. .each thread seam was hit 2x on the inside. .da da

Then this morning I turned to the outside. .I made my own seam sealer..
I used 100 % clear silicone..tube..I used 36..think grams or ounces..? then mixed the exact same weight of odorless mineral spirits.. 1:1 mixture and mixed it completely in a pint jar..glass..
Then using a small foam brush I hit each and every stitch seam generously working it in with long feathering strokes.
It has soaked in with a slight darkening of the wetted fabric..now it is just slightly darkened..

Final step is tomorrow..when 4 cans of Woods silicon spray will be sprayed on the outside material..this spray not just coats the stitching and fabric..but adds a UV protectant..so keeps the fabric from deteriorating.fading..making the $$$$ ground blind last longer..
Then 2 weeks of airing tge ground blind out...
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
10-20-2018, 05:36 PM
HOLY Phuck Steven ! Your SURE under a LOT of Pressure over this Blind you could have a heart attack any time now ! :shock: Man you need to CHILL out a bit buddy maybe come down to Kammy and pickup some Cannabis at our Local GOV store ! :lol: LOL

Cheers RJ

srupp
10-20-2018, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=REMNGTIN JIM;204331Steven ! Your SURE under a LOT of Pressure over this Blind you could have a heart attack any time now ! :shock: Man you need to CHILL out a bit buddy maybe come down to Kammy and pickup some Cannabis at our Local GOV store ! :lol: LOL

Cheers RJ[/QUOTE]

Lol RJ...work hard to hunt easy.Same as rifle..sight it in prior to hunt.
This hunt Is important to me because..Susan will be there on this hunt..in the blind beside me..first time in 30 years !
If the tent leaks..she WILL bail..iF its cold...she will bail..
I have been applying for this Alberta mulie hunt..during the rut for11 years..i simply dont want to bail...
So a good ground blind, properly waterproofed...a good heater..i have 30 # tank plus buddy heater..Susan also has a comfortable chair, very very good winter clothes..so she can endure 10 hours in the blind each day.

Im ******ed..im retired..so everything is cleaned up for winter..my chores are done..some deer hunting here yet..a chainsaw box needs to be built..and ensure the ground blind is waterproof..no stressing Bro. Just doing my part well.
Cheers
Steven

Sitkaspruce
10-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Steven

Are you planning on hunting in the rain?? I have 4 blinds, all Ameristep, for 5 years, never done anything to them other than dry them out after the season and have never had an issue. No leaks from the heat inside and the light dusting of snow on the outside. I always brush my blind off before I enter so i don't get any melting drips inside. Bigger issue is the condensation inside that freezes and then melts when I add heat. Make sure you don't leave things against the side of your blind or they could get wet.

How flexible is your sealer when it gets cold? Or even when you collapse and set up?

Cheers

SS

srupp
10-20-2018, 07:10 PM
I hear ya Ken..Ameristep in their instructions I recieved it recomends seam sealing..and silicon tx forfabric..reading and trying to follow instructions...my bad..
Im not planning on anything lol but with limited time..will hunt rain snow sunshine..whatever..
Woods product says its for tents or making siltarp type items..
Im glad you have positive experiences with Ameristep..at least my choice was good ?
Be done tommorrow IF I wasnt going hunting...lots of items for trip out , cleaned . checked. .marked off list...
Hope your season is going incredibly well. ..
Cheers
Steven

Springer
10-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Um i just checked the Farmers almanac weather forecast ....No Rain in Late November for Eastern Alberta , Cold and Snow is a great possibility. Maybe sew some insulation into the inside walls and get WiFi hooked up . With all that and your #30 lb of propane i will just come pick you up in the Spring.

Harvest the Land
10-21-2018, 01:06 PM
I use the Flex Seal stuff on the seams of the roof of my blinds because I do hunt where it rains a lot during hunting season. It works awesome. Easy to put on and dries fast. Long lasting

Bag1
10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
I used this stuff once a year on my boat tops and we salt fish all year, never any water gets thru and the canvass beads like crazy,
no reason it wouldnt work on blinds,I think I'll give my little bone collector a coating as well

http://www.starbrite.com/item/waterproofing-with-ptef

Hunterguy
10-21-2018, 07:39 PM
I totally get it with Steven, like I say fail to prepare, prepare to FAIL! What it will all come down to is when that buck of a lifetime walks into range, scope on him and weather you will stop shaking enough to make the shot, good luck.

Ferenc
10-21-2018, 08:03 PM
One product to try is “ Never wet “ it’s made by Rust-Oleum it’s a product I’ve used on my stuff ... got it at Home Depot ... 325 ml spray bottle .... apply some to a part of your blind then hit it with a hose ...bet you will be surprised
not the lowest price product out there .... Mystery Ranch guys seem to endorse it .. lots of other uses for it also ... good luck on the hunt... : )

srupp
10-21-2018, 09:40 PM
I was impressed with tge clear 100% silicon in a tube. .mixed 1:1 with mineral spirits..mixed for 6 minutes it brushed in well with foam brush..becomes one with the blind material..
Steven