PDA

View Full Version : Using an Outfitter to get into the back country for elk moose.

180grainer
10-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Has anyone used an Outfitter to get them into the back country for Elk and or Moose? What was your experience? How much did it cost? Any recommendations?

RugDoctor
10-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Following.

horshur
10-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Do your due diligence....backcountry is no guarantee of game numbers maybe even the opposite. Unless you are just looking for an epic experience.

dakoda62
10-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Did 2 trips to Tetsa, both successful, 10 days by horse, 4k taxes in,

albravo2
10-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Isn't Kevin (Riverjet?), the jet boat guy for Tuchodi, technically an outfitter? If so, I used him and he was good. Didn't kill anything, but we were really early in the season because of school and other life inconveniences.

Darksith
10-17-2018, 08:43 PM
lots of options to get help to get into "remote areas"

Like mentioned, do your homework, sometimes "remote areas" are subject to local knowledge and there are ATV trails into said areas, or in the case of rivers, not actually that remote because everyone has a jet boat.

DIY hunts are easy in BC, don't be afraid, but if you simply don't have the equipment, outfitters via horseback are a great option. The late great BigBore had done several of these, there are lots of outfitters out there. Its on my bucket list, but so is a fly in, not sure which I would do first.

Bugle M In
10-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Has anyone used an Outfitter to get them into the back country for Elk and or Moose? What was your experience? How much did it cost? Any recommendations?

where were you thinking, roughly?

180grainer
10-17-2018, 09:08 PM
where were you thinking, roughly?
Was think the Tuchodi. Know of a guy that runs a jet boat up that way. I've done a couple of fly ins but because I'm looking at moose or elk it might be less expensive to use a jet boat if the boat can take the hunters and the meat out in one go. My last fly in made it impractical for moose as we were about 45 to 60 minutes in and it would have required two trips to get out. Saw a number of moose too. I've been up the Muskwa on a jet and that boat could not handle a couple of moose, a driver and two guys. The boat wasn't the greatest carry wise. Got us up there though and I was able to get a caribou.

180grainer
10-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Did 2 trips to Tetsa, both successful, 10 days by horse, 4k taxes in,

Who was the outfitter? 4 grand total for just you or you and someone else?

dakoda62
10-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Went with Tetsa River Outfitters Beth and Doug Cobbett. 4 grand a piece 10 days by horse.

180grainer
10-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Went with Tetsa River Outfitters Beth and Doug Cobbett. 4 grand a piece 10 days by horse.
Might be a little out of my price range but thanks for posting.

10-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Ive used Riverjet once .....great country great service.
Ive used Steamboat Mnt Outfitters three times. Again great country great service. Tanner and His Dad took over from the past owner. Seen a few giant moose while in that country.
I assume your looking for a packer not a guide outfitter.
There special times in wonderful places. Do it. Its worth every penny.
About 4 to 5 g now 10 days.
Each packer has Different options or services.
Riverjet, Steamboat, Tetsa i hear good things for all of them.
Be sure to post your story of your 60 inch bullwinkle. Even the gravys tough.
Should have added. We were mainly after Sheep and Elk with good results. We were so far in at times we were asked not to take a Biggin Bull Moose....or face extra pack out fees... harvested smaller moose or shot closer to the Highway when we did shoot moose.

emerson
10-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Considering that a beef in the freezer costs about $3K now those packer fees are not bad.

Bugle M In
10-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Only thing I can say, is that I heard the area, Tuchodi, isn't in great shape for elk hunting these days.
No surprise, seems to be the norm around the province.
That being said, I guess that is dependent on how far you can get away from where the majority hunt up there.
Hope you find a reasonably priced way to get up there and enjoy the country, good luck!

eatram
10-18-2018, 08:34 PM
I heard from Big Nine that elk are down 85% in his area. Unreal!

HappyJack
10-18-2018, 08:44 PM

It has a lot to do with the huge wolf packs that have been ravaging the area.

Personally, for a back country hunt, I'd never hire an outfitter. Buy a horse, or a jet boat and take yourself out.

zazman
10-18-2018, 09:15 PM
I spoke with guy who traditionally would go pick antlers in the spring up there and they are only finding a very small number compared to what they used to a few years back. The multiple herds of elk over 100 are gone and they are seeing less than 50 on the entire trip.

emerson
10-18-2018, 09:16 PM
I can buy a lot of access at $5K a hunt, when the other choice is a $70K boat and truck to pull it. Maint ain’t free either.

180grainer
10-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Geez, 85%. Guess I should stay home. :)

eatram
10-18-2018, 10:08 PM
No wonder Barry Tompkins sold his outfit this year. Got out before it was worthless...

talver
10-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Worth every penny and then some did a hunt with them and can’t wait to do another. Great people, great service can’t say enough good things about Tetsa river outfitters and Betth and Doug.

ratherbefishin
10-19-2018, 06:53 AM
One of the reasons o like to hunt is to get out in the bush,away from the noise and confusion of a bunch of people who can,t seem to live without their ‘music’,partying and generally ruining the peace and quiet I cherish.Last moose trip to the Swift river (32 hour drive) used to ensure peace and quiet,but last time there were about six jet boats on the river.I won’t bother going back.Same for areas with areas that look like highways with road hunters( although getting back a bit eliminates most of that-and results in more animals seen) For those reasons I would like to try a self guided hunt hiring only a packer,jet boat or plane to fly in-if I only knew who to go with or where to go.Not into trophy hunting,just a good spot to go,see some animals and maybe take one.All we need is transportation to and from and some local knowlege

boxhitch
10-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Has anyone had luck with asking any guide/outfitter for transport, for an unguided drop-camp type hunt?

talver
10-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Testa is a unguided hunt they transport your game as well as pack it and they provide a camp with provide the food.

Darksith
10-19-2018, 08:27 AM
For DIY hunts, I honestly don't think you can do it cheaper than by plane (except by foot obviously) if you want to get way back away from a road. Of course how far you fly is relevant, and just fyi you will always need a second flight home for meat if you are harvesting moose...that being said its still worth it and cheaper than any other way. Going in by hired horse or hired boat is also an experience I hope to be a part of one day, but its more the experience than trying to save $$

srupp
10-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Hmmm Beaver is $9.80 air mile..never heard of by the hour..
Beaver has limit of 1200 pounds
Turbo Beaver limit of 1300 pounds
Anyone considering. .even considering Tin tin Out of Atlin..Chris Mosers old flying grounds. Consider contacting me for " updates"
Know where you want to go, why there, when, and what you need in the way of equipment..knowledge..
If you can do that most fun you can have with your clothes on..
Steven

emerson
10-19-2018, 09:24 PM
The horse/jetboat transporters charge by the head, no? $5K/hunter or $5K/trip? 100 miles each way X2 for the meat load is $4K of flights? I’ve done long wilderness horse trips in my youth. Fun, but not my bag at this point.

Phila
10-20-2018, 10:31 AM
In response to the OPs question I was on a fully guided trip this year with Doug and Sandy McKee of Muskwa River Adventures based out of Poplar Camp on the Muskwa. It was a 10 day trip the bulk of which was spent in a spike camp we reached on horseback and a couple of days in base camp. It was successful (elk) and the experience was fantastic, I'm still talking about it. Very capable reliable and flexible outfit.

MRA offers everything from river transport to fully guided trips (under license from Big 9). They also rent camps for people who are pretty much independent.

Cost varies depending on what you want, their prices for guided hunts were very reasonable. My only experience was with the guided hunt.

Muskwa River Adventures has a website with contact info and a Facebook page.

Hope this is useful.

180grainer
10-20-2018, 11:55 PM
In response to the OPs question I was on a fully guided trip this year with Doug and Sandy McKee of Muskwa River Adventures based out of Poplar Camp on the Muskwa. It was a 10 day trip the bulk of which was spent in a spike camp we reached on horseback and a couple of days in base camp. It was successful (elk) and the experience was fantastic, I'm still talking about it. Very capable reliable and flexible outfit.

MRA offers everything from river transport to fully guided trips (under license from Big 9). They also rent camps for people who are pretty much independent.

Cost varies depending on what you want, their prices for guided hunts were very reasonable. My only experience was with the guided hunt.

Muskwa River Adventures has a website with contact info and a Facebook page.

Hope this is useful.
Thanks for your input Phila. I might call them and see what they can do for me.

180grainer
10-21-2018, 12:00 AM
The horse/jetboat transporters charge by the head, no? $5K/hunter or $5K/trip? 100 miles each way X2 for the meat load is $4K of flights? I’ve done long wilderness horse trips in my youth. Fun, but not my bag at this point.
I'm still convincing myself I'm in my youth which is why I'm looking at something like this. To be honest. One of the reason I'm looking into this, (and every other hunt I do) is it's an incentive to prepare physically. When I'm running up that street in April I like thinking about killing that elk, (normally goat) in September.

Lelantos
07-09-2019, 12:51 PM
So, what happened 180?

dakoda62
07-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Jet boat is an option, however consider how far you may have to pack the animal on your back to the river, if you are young and strong then go for it. But if your a bit thick through the middle and knees that don't work 100%, horse hunt is the answer.

David Heitsman
07-25-2019, 11:31 AM
I have to smile when I see people post that they'd rather buy their own jet or pack string than spend the money on a guide outfitter's services. Yes, GO's are $1,000 per day give or take but when I step off the plane or horse at base camp, my hunting meter quits ticking. Not so with horse feed, horse trailer, farriers and vets etc. or jet payments and monthly insurance and maintenance. To each their own, but I think you're ahead with GO's and packers.

Ron.C
07-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Geez, 85%. Guess I should stay home. :)

Convenient, right :p

pg83
07-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Has anyone had luck with asking any guide/outfitter for transport, for an unguided drop-camp type hunt?

Used an outfitter to fly us into a land strip a few years back. Gave us a bunch of legitimately good info on the area with the exception of the actual co-ords of the strip(straight up wong co-ords), which we could not confirm prior to the flight due to cloud cover on all mapping software we had at our disposal.

One member of our group had back issues which limited how far we could realistically hunt(we knew this going in) which would not have been as big of a deal had we landed where we thought we were landing. As it turned out, we became pretty limited on what we could do.

I have nothing against outfitters and have many acquaintances within the industry, but this trip left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth(with this specific outfitter).

dbergen69
07-27-2019, 07:01 PM
How far in does Tetsa Outfitters pack you? What are their camps like?

dakoda62
07-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Their main camp is 3 1/2 hrs by horseback, they also 2 other tent camps they use about 6-7 hrs from the highway. There main moose camp which i have used comprises 2 cabins, hunters cabin sleeps 4-5. Beth is an incredible cook, you will gain weight. 45 minute hike you can glass close to 5000 acres from a high vantage point.