PDA

View Full Version : 7-23A Moose numbers

zazman
10-16-2018, 10:19 PM
I just got back from a few days hunting moose in 7-23a area. I have never hunted here before but we covered a lot of ground but found very little of any recent sign of moose anywhere at the lower elevations along the Parsnip or Misinchinka River. We never looked around in the Kennedy Siding the No Shooting Area. There was several others hunting the same area and all reported seeing nothing, or at least didn’t want to say anything.

We we found some recent track at the higher elevations but access is pretty limited and put our time in calling with no response. We did get back into some country on foot well away from the roads and quad trails and still no luck finding any wallows or scrapes. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same around hereas we are thinking maybe going back later this month when there is hopefully some snow on the ground thinking maybe they will move down to the lower elevations. Not looking for honey holes - just wonder if others have seen the same or know much about the area.

Wild one
10-17-2018, 05:50 AM
A lot of MU’s outside of regions 8/4 moose numbers have dropped 25-50% if I remember correctly so not a big surprise to hear hunters seeing limited sign

Oddly enough if you read the big game forecast for all the provs in Canada BCs is very dismal compared to the rest of Canada

Think it’s time BC start admitting just maybe we are doing things wrong wildlife wise

zazman
10-17-2018, 06:53 AM
We were hunting there because we have an LEH for any bull, but see they also have an open calf season. My son and I were surprised that the management of an area showing very few numbers would have a general season for calves. Which is why I’m asking about numbers. I hate to assume there’s no moose in an area just because I couldn’t find any in a few days. Maybe just the wrong place at the wrong time and although we covered a lot of ground I hate to assume they are not there.

RackStar
10-17-2018, 07:07 AM
My Neihbour use to go to that area for a day trip and come home with a moose back in the day. Too many preds, Calf season doesn’t help either. Also very thick countty. There is moose there, my co worker shot s decent bull in sept up there.

Bustercluck
10-17-2018, 07:38 AM
I've hunted 7-23 and the mus that border it 3 out of the last 6 years and have seen lots of moose. I usually go the last week in September.

Buckzilla
10-17-2018, 08:11 AM
Yep our crew of 4 got 3 moose not far from your unit in same general area oct 1-7.
there are lots of moose there, they just stay in the thick with all the hunter traffic zinging around on quads and boats. All 3 of ours were going in after them and packing out.

junkyard_g
10-17-2018, 09:09 AM
As crazy as it sounds they have liberal moose seasons there to intentionally reduce moose populations so there are less wolves hanging around to kill caribou. same with 7-16.
Moose are still there but up high or along highway (no real access). Wolf cull helped a bit but not a ton of feed in the pine flats anyway. They do winter in there but low numbers in summer and fall.
Very few moose in the no hunting zone as well, mostly small pine and lichen in there.

ElliotMoose
10-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Just saw pictures of a 56" monster taken in the parsnip, so they are there! Lots of reports coming back the same as yours though so it would appear they are in pockets. Best of luck finding one of said pockets, just keep the boots to the ground and hopefully luck finds you.

Heading into this time of year as the rut winds down think food, water and cover. Red willow being a big part of their late fall appetite. If you find an area with these 3 things you have a good chance at bumping into a bull

Arctic Lake
10-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Just saw pictures of a 56" monster taken in the parsnip, so they are there! Lots of reports coming back the same as yours though so it would appear they are in pockets. Best of luck finding one of said pockets, just keep the boots to the ground and hopefully luck finds you.

Heading into this time of year as the rut winds down think food, water and cover. Red willow being a big part of their late fall appetite. If you find an area with these 3 things you have a good chance at bumping into a bull

I would love to see that picture ! Any chance of putting it up on this thread ?
Arctic Lake

srupp
10-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Bingo..exactly.
Steven

barry1974w
10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
As mentioned, you drew a tag in the moose eradication zone. The plan was to bring the moose numbers way down so the wolves would leave and stop eating caribou, the other half of the plan was to bring grizz numbers way down so they’d stop eating caribou calves. But now they’ve shut down the grizz hunt and are still bent on wiping out the moose....... I don’t get it

Bustercluck
10-18-2018, 12:25 PM
As mentioned, you drew a tag in the moose eradication zone. The plan was to bring the moose numbers way down so the wolves would leave and stop eating caribou, the other half of the plan was to bring grizz numbers way down so they’d stop eating caribou calves. But now they’ve shut down the grizz hunt and are still bent on wiping out the moose....... I don’t get it
Every time someone can't find game the old grizzly bear/wolf debate pops up...

moosinaround
10-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Ya seriously, like WTF? What the he11 does a grizz or a wolf have to do with anything regarding ungulate populations?? They are beautiful majestic creatures!! Moosin

Bustercluck
10-18-2018, 05:04 PM
A healthy wolf population is a pretty clear indication that there's lots of game around. I'll bet the wolves in that area don't have a problem finding moose. The difference being a wolf is a trained and skilled hunter.

303savage
10-18-2018, 07:08 PM
As crazy as it sounds they have liberal moose seasons there to intentionally reduce moose populations so there are less wolves hanging around to kill caribou

Who in the hell thought that would be a good IDEA! That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

Wild one
10-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Who in the hell thought that would be a good IDEA! That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

Scorched earth theory management plan lower a predators food source in hopes to lower their population

Not a new theory and I have yet to see positive results from it

HappyJack
10-18-2018, 08:38 PM
We are going there tomorrow, not expecting to see much with the years of month long calf seasons, but willing to give it a try and see some country I haven't been in for years.

zazman
10-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Happy Jack - Good luck and I’d like to hear how you make out.

We didn’t see much for predator tracks in the area either but there was a couple sets of wolf tracks at the back end of some old cut locks we walked into. Bears seem to have hunkered down already as we saw lots of older sign but just blackies. We will probably head back to the area in a week again. I’m hoping for some snow but long term temps look like they are staying warm.

gcreek
10-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Ya seriously, like WTF? What the he11 does a grizz or a wolf have to do with anything regarding ungulate populations?? They are beautiful majestic creatures!! Moosin

Thanks Moosin, I will grit my teeth and refrain from ripping the previous poster a new one. Some will never get it.

boxhitch
10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Parsnip?
not covered in the 5 year study
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/viewDocumentDetail.do?fromStatic=true&repository=BDP&documentId=12720

Arctic Lake
10-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Love that Parsnip country ! Many tributaries that drain into it I would love to explore !
Arctic Lake

HappyJack
10-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Happy Jack - Good luck and I’d like to hear how you make out.

We didn’t see much for predator tracks in the area either but there was a couple sets of wolf tracks at the back end of some old cut locks we walked into. Bears seem to have hunkered down already as we saw lots of older sign but just blackies. We will probably head back to the area in a week again. I’m hoping for some snow but long term temps look like they are staying warm.

We took the 700 rd to a few miles past the parsnip, saw only 2 moose tracks on the road, in 60 or 70K, so we back tracked and took the cutoff at 14K towards Tacheeda [7-16]...spent the afternoon over there and managed to see a nice big bull moose [40" perhaps] but no leh tags for us. Lots of wolf track along the cut across road, and a few deer tracks....but it appears if there are still moose in there they sure aren't moving around much.

barry1974w
10-29-2018, 10:32 AM

Thats not what I was getting at, I’m wondering why the ministry is going ahead with half it’s plan to save the caribou. You’d think if they axed half the plan due to misguided public opinion. They’d axe the other half and try to keep a few more moose around

Salty
10-29-2018, 11:01 AM
A healthy wolf population is a pretty clear indication that there's lots of game around. I'll bet the wolves in that area don't have a problem finding moose. The difference being a wolf is a trained and skilled hunter.

Thanks for your assertation Dr. Bustercluck. Problem is many areas of the province this one included do not have a healthy wolf population. They have 2 or 3 or more times the carrying capacity.