PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding New Senior/Youth Elk Season

mariathemoose
09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
For the Senior/Youth Anterless elk season from Sept 10-20 in the Kootenays does anyone know if it is restricted to the 1100m and lower elevation? Its abit unclear in the regs as it refers to the bow only season for that elevation map, so I want to make sure.
Thanks.

model88
09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Not sure about that, but I did run into a couple of older fellows looking for a spot to camp. They were here for the new anterless season. Where I met them was well over 5000 feet and they were getting ready to set up camp. I actually gave them directions to a different spot that would be way easier for them too find a cow, they had actually been looking for the spot I sent them to but couldn't find it, so the one fellow had hunted where I found them 20+ years ago. He did say how things change over time!!

elkdom
09-07-2007, 09:07 PM
have you looked at regions 720 to732 regards to open antlerless elk mule deer oct 4 to 11

mariathemoose
09-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes thanks but i want to take my dad to the kootenays.

rocksteady
09-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Maps at the local sports are showing it as being Zone X..Which doesn't differentiate between bow season and the older/younger hunt...Zone X is UNDER 1100 Metres....I know the CO's will be out checking too...

mariathemoose
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
thank you; i have confirmed it is the same - has to be below 1100m

brotherjack
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure that's correct - the border follows the 1100 meter contour, but there spots shown on the map as being within the zone, which my GPS has told me in the past are above 1100 meters.

Or did I miss something, and they changed it this year?

brotherjack
09-08-2007, 04:10 PM
I just went back and checked. According to the key, the highlighted portion of the map (in yellow) is the Zone X for 2007. The purple lines are the 1100 meter contour lines. You'll notice that there are purple lines that run all around inside the yellow zone, denoting areas that are above 1100 meters. Furthermore, there are areas outlined in purpole (the 1100 meter contour), which are not colored yellow. So, they used an 1100meter coutour line to come up with the zone, but to say "anywhere below 1100 meters" is not technically accurate (at least not according to the map the gov is handing everyone saying "this is where it is").

Also, to belabor the point looking at the "legal maps" as linked at the bottom of the big map, for instance at Zone X of 4-3 - up in the high country around the Kiakho lakes area there's plenty of land above 1100 meters that is defined as being part of the Zone X by the 'legal map'.

09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
The youth/sr elk seasons are restricted the x-zones. The youth/sr white tailed deer seasons are not.

The x-zones generally follow the 1100 meter line, but not always. The lines on the map go below the 1100 meter line along the MU borders for example since they are also LEH zones and LEH permits are for specific MUs. All MUs do not have x-zones so the x-zone boundary also follows MU boudaries along the valley bottom for long stretches. There are no x-zones for example on Premier Ridge or along the east side of Columbia Lake. That is because there is relatively little ag-land in these areas so if elk want to stay there all summer, so what, they're not hunrting anything.

These zones were specificaly designed to harvest non-migratory elk and to protect agricultural zones from elk and deer depredation. It is considered by the Branch that any elk living under 1100 meters prior to mid Oct is probably a non-migratory elk (homesteader elk as we call them out here).

The x-zones along highway 3 near Moyie go above the 1100 meter elevation according to the maps and I have no idea why.
I am looking at and referring to the maps on the MOE site.
http://env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/elk1100m.html

09-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Also, to belabor the point looking at the "legal maps" as linked at the bottom of the big map, for instance at Zone X of 4-3 - up in the high country around the Kiakho lakes area there's plenty of land above 1100 meters that is defined as being part of the Zone X by the 'legal map'.[/quote]

Brotherjack, I don't think there is an x-zone in 4-03. What maps are you looking at, maybe I'm missing something?

09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Sorry Brotherjack, I see the 4-03 x-zone on the small map in the LEH synopsis. Guess they don't have one ready for the web site yet. Looks like some of that zone might be on the Tobacco Plains IR.
I also notice the maps for the West Kootenay LEH bull elk hunts are on this web site.