PDA

View Full Version : Region 6 moose GOS- who is in

two-feet
10-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Well, what used to be a 2 month season is now at 3 days. If you are headed out, do not wear your moose antler hat. I wonder if the shorter season will keep some folks at home? My hunting partner is recovering from getting beat up by a grizz but is still game to go, if we are successful I will have to do all the work!

Good luck to all!

monasheemountainman
10-15-2018, 05:39 PM
What’s the story about your buddy?

Wild one
10-15-2018, 05:40 PM
I might go just for the wife

Thunderstix
10-15-2018, 06:29 PM
The season around my area of region 6 was only 7 days for many many years, but 3 really takes the cake.

CheesyLimper
10-15-2018, 07:06 PM
I don't plan on joining in the gong show that this will probably be...however I will be goat hunting near my home for the three days, and who know's what might show up in the alpine.

Smiz
10-15-2018, 07:33 PM
We are going up. Hoping the short season will keep some folks at home. Maybe wishful thinking on our part. Been hunting 6-06 for last 30 years. Kinda hard to not go even if only for 3 days. Gonna do the Immy hunt for the rest of the week. The unicorns are hard to come by but better than working.

albravo2
10-15-2018, 07:43 PM
I've been thinking hard about it. I have the chance to fly in on floats but the opportunity just came up and I have done zero research on where to fly and I know that part of the world well enough to doubt a good weather window.

Still, very tempting. It would be a different kind of rolling the dice.

two-feet
10-15-2018, 08:05 PM
What’s the story about your buddy?

he was guiding and ended up wrong place at the wrong time, mamma grizz knocked him down and bit him a few times, then came back again and bit his arm and shook him, his arm and shoulder are quite damaged. He still wants to hunt but we will take it easy, nothing rugged like we would usually plan. He cant put himself in a position to re injure it. And if I shoot one we will be calling for sherpas cause i dont want to carry the whole thing myself!

kilometers
10-15-2018, 10:44 PM
Got one in the bow only season. Have fun with the gong show!

two-feet
10-16-2018, 07:05 AM

nice. Im going to try in 6-04 on the weekend but I have 6-09 late hunt after the gong show. Im still going to try calling this weekend, maybe get a young dummy

Piperdown
10-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Me too:mrgreen:

Darksith
10-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Here's a thought for people to consider. Rather than having a shorter season in region 6 where everyone seems to go, why not run a 7 day GOS in a bunch of different regions and MU's all at the same time? This could help spread out the hunters, reduce the gong show and I bet it wouldn't change how many moose are harvested. They keep choking the GOS, why? Is it because of the number of animals harvested, or is it because more is getting allocated to FN, or is it to try and reduce the number of people travelling to the area? If they got rid of the august hunt in 7B, and made a 7 day GOS that ran the same time as region 6 that would have the same effect I would imagine.

todbartell
10-16-2018, 08:45 AM
I always have thought that 7A seasons should mirror Rg6. Sept1-9 any bull archery, Oct1-9 any bull archery, 3 day rifle GOS Oct20-22 Nov16-20 any bull archery. And shorter bull moose LEH seasons (Hunt A Sept10-24), (Hunt B Sept25-Oct19), (Hunt C Oct20-Nov15)

two-feet
10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Here's a thought for people to consider. Rather than having a shorter season in region 6 where everyone seems to go, why not run a 7 day GOS in a bunch of different regions and MU's all at the same time? This could help spread out the hunters, reduce the gong show and I bet it wouldn't change how many moose are harvested. They keep choking the GOS, why? Is it because of the number of animals harvested, or is it because more is getting allocated to FN, or is it to try and reduce the number of people travelling to the area? If they got rid of the august hunt in 7B, and made a 7 day GOS that ran the same time as region 6 that would have the same effect I would imagine.
The GOS was reduced because the AAH was being exceeded in 6 South. They crunched the numbers and allowed for more LEH tags thinking the total harvest would be lower. Opening a 7 day GOS in regions 3,4,5 and 8 would probably kill many more moose than the areas can handle even though the gong show would be spread out a bit.

two-feet
10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
I always have thought that 7A seasons should mirror Rg6. Sept1-9 any bull archery, Oct1-9 any bull archery, 3 day rifle GOS Oct20-22 Nov16-20 any bull archery. And shorter bull moose LEH seasons (Hunt A Sept10-24), (Hunt B Sept25-Oct19), (Hunt C Oct20-Nov15)
I like it, be interesting what the bios would say

Wild one
10-16-2018, 11:04 AM

It was fought against because some viewed that change as taking away opportunity lol

Long point restriction seasons are believed to provide better opportunities over short less restrictive seasons or special weapons seasons by some

Wild one
10-16-2018, 11:08 AM
The GOS was reduced because the AAH was being exceeded in 6 South. They crunched the numbers and allowed for more LEH tags thinking the total harvest would be lower. Opening a 7 day GOS in regions 3,4,5 and 8 would probably kill many more moose than the areas can handle even though the gong show would be spread out a bit.

I was also told poor calf recruitment was another factor but this could be BS because of the source I heard it from

Those regions could not take it I agree

Darksith
10-16-2018, 01:34 PM
ya but you don't have to open every region or MU. If you opened 6, parts of 7A and 7B at the same time, it would spread out the hunters. Just talking out loud anyway.

boxhitch
10-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Some guys will never get it and will always blame the hunters for any wildlife problems..........almost like they are from the other camp

Wild one
10-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Some guys will never get it and will always blame the hunters for any wildlife problems..........almost like they are from the other camp

Please point out the post in this thread that is blaming hunters for a wildlife issue

Seen talk of spreading hunting pressure with a different form of management in neighboring regions add that is it

Darksith
10-16-2018, 05:30 PM
ya definitely not blaming hunters, just trying to spread us out to have better opportunity for all.

two-feet
10-16-2018, 06:09 PM
ya but you don't have to open every region or MU. If you opened 6, parts of 7A and 7B at the same time, it would spread out the hunters. Just talking out loud anyway.

agreed. Some overlap would be nice

Shikari300WSM
10-16-2018, 06:12 PM
I was also told poor calf recruitment was another factor but this could be BS because of the source I heard it from

Those regions could not take it I agree

I definately think there is truth to poor calg recruitment. All the cows I saw on our leh hunt were solo. The one that had another with it turned out to be a spike fork that one of my.partners took.

two-feet
10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
It was fought against because some viewed that change as taking away opportunity lol

Long point restriction seasons are believed to provide better opportunities over short less restrictive seasons or special weapons seasons by some
The spike fork/10 pt season is a great oportunity to burn gas. In the far north you can potentially see 10 pointers but otherwise it is a serious long shot. But.... lots of guys get to hunt

Wild one
10-16-2018, 06:24 PM
The spike fork/10 pt season is a great oportunity to burn gas. In the far north you can potentially see 10 pointers but otherwise it is a serious long shot. But.... lots of guys get to hunt

Quality of hunting days over quantity is better in my opinion. Plus the issue of animals that go to waste do to point restrictions each year. Buddy already called in a shot and left 3pt in 7a

My opinion southern 6 has the right idea using a mix of GOS/LEH/special weapon over point restrictions to create opportunity. Have always felt BC needs to apply this style of management to other areas/species.

Sitkaspruce
10-16-2018, 07:48 PM

At first I thought the 2/3/10 rule was a PITA....but now I like it. I don't have to wait for my LEH draw to be able to hunt moose. I can hunt every year. Counting points is a pain, but, for me, calling and getting action is a big part of my style of hunting, shooting an moose is the bonus to the hunt. Yes, I have had to let a bunch of bulls walk, but I can accept that for being able to hunt moose every year.

This year was another amazing year with lost of moose action and some meat in the freezer. And not a lot of gas burned...…..

Quality of hunting days over quantity is better in my opinion. Plus the issue of animals that go to waste do to point restrictions each year. Buddy already called in a shot and left 3pt in 7a

I really hope he self reported or that you reported him!! If not sure of points, don't shoot....pretty simple. And if you do screw up, admit it and face the consequences.

My opinion southern 6 has the right idea using a mix of GOS/LEH/special weapon over point restrictions to create opportunity. Have always felt BC needs to apply this style of management to other areas/species.

I really hope your thoughts are not carried over to the Peace. Why would you want LEH here? LEH has not worked anywhere else in BC for moose (or any other species for that matter) so why wpuld you want it for the Peace....and maybe R6 North as well?????

Cheers

SS

Wild one
10-16-2018, 08:09 PM
At first I thought the 2/3/10 rule was a PITA....but now I like it. I don't have to wait for my LEH draw to be able to hunt moose. I can hunt every year. Counting points is a pain, but, for me, calling and getting action is a big part of my style of hunting, shooting an moose is the bonus to the hunt. Yes, I have had to let a bunch of bulls walk, but I can accept that for being able to hunt moose every year.

This year was another amazing year with lost of moose action and some meat in the freezer. And not a lot of gas burned...…..

I really hope your thoughts are not carried over to the Peace. Why would you want LEH here? LEH has not worked anywhere else in BC for moose (or any other species for that matter) so why wpuld you want it for the Peace....and maybe R6 North as well?????

Cheers

SS

He found a bull someone else shot and left and he reported it to be clear. You are correct not clear during a point restriction season don’t shoot but there are always those who screw up every year.

Management of moose should be according to the population and northern 6\7b are very different then southern 6/7a so should not be managed the same. Still would rather see an option outside of point restrictions for the waste issue

Too many negatives with antler restrictions vs the extra days of hunting in my opinion

Caribou_lou
10-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Regs should try to keep things simple. Less room for error. Bone on the head. Boom. No questions.

Counting points on moose. Lots of guys don't even know what size a point needs to be to count as a point!

Bigdoggdon
10-17-2018, 07:19 PM
I read a winter count that had calf recruitment in southern region 6 at 8% (8 calves to 100 cows) and winter wasnt even over yet. Thats not sustainable with or without hunting. We all know the causes, they have been debated on these pages for months and years.

The problem is when the moose populations are suffering the Government only seems to have one lever theyre willing to pull. Limit the Resident Hunter Opportunities. Addressing the real causes would cost money theyre not willing to spend as well as being hugely unpopular for them and we all know how politicians are lining up to do things that make them unpopular. Hunters are a minority, a fringe element. We will always get the short end of the stick.

Arctic Lake
10-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Regs should try to keep things simple. Less room for error. Bone on the head. Boom. No questions.

Counting points on moose. Lots of guys don't even know what size a point needs to be to count as a point!

I agree totally with this ! Many mistakes might be avoided . Soon we will all need to be biologists, land surveyor and have a law degree to decipher regulations !
Arctic Lake

barry1974w
10-18-2018, 08:48 AM
More opportunities for a any bull would be cool. But I live up here and trying to compete with every other guy at work for the same days off would be an ass pain. I’m also not a huge fan of special weapons seasons, but that might just be because I’m jealous..... if it went the way TB mentioned it would definitely recruit more archery hunters......

Sitkaspruce
10-18-2018, 07:17 PM
He found a bull someone else shot and left and he reported it to be clear. You are correct not clear during a point restriction season don’t shoot but there are always those who screw up every year.

Management of moose should be according to the population and northern 6\7b are very different then southern 6/7a so should not be managed the same. Still would rather see an option outside of point restrictions for the waste issue

Too many negatives with antler restrictions vs the extra days of hunting in my opinion

How many moose do you guys "Speculate" are shot and left every year in the Peace?? I am curious as to how you come up with any numbers at all....unless you both hunt and work up here and spend 100+ days in the bush?

Believe it or not, most hunters are honest and "don't shoot first count later".

After spending 6 years living here and hunting the area since the 3 on the brow first came into affect as well as spending 100+ days in the field working and hunting, I can honestly say I have come across one illegal bull shot and left. If there were multiple bulls being left in the bush, we would see the regs changed.....but it simple not true. I would care to bet there is more "2 pt" shot and left in region 7A and 5 than all bulls shot and left in 7B....and we have a two pint season as well!

What would be interesting would be to see how many illegal bulls are shot and taken home, but then again, we would have others bitching about the Cache Creek road block trying to catch those illegal bulls...…

Cheers

SS

Avalanche123
10-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Well, what used to be a 2 month season is now at 3 days. If you are headed out, do not wear your moose antler hat. I wonder if the shorter season will keep some folks at home? My hunting partner is recovering from getting beat up by a grizz but is still game to go, if we are successful I will have to do all the work!

Good luck to all!

To the original OP....I did some scouting tonight at one of my old locations I hunted near Terrace 30 years ago and yes there is enough sign for me to head out early Sat AM.....mainly cause I just love using the excuse of the "opportunity" to sit in solitude. If it happens, great...if not, I tried. Good luck to all. :)

two-feet
10-18-2018, 08:00 PM
To the original OP....I did some scouting tonight at one of my old locations I hunted near Terrace 30 years ago and yes there is enough sign for me to head out early Sat AM.....mainly cause I just love using the excuse of the "opportunity" to sit in solitude. If it happens, great...if not, I tried. Good luck to all. :)
well, its never a waste of time. Good luck over there, i am not sure of success rates percentage-wise bit for sure many hunters will connect with bulls in the 3 day season.

Wild one
10-18-2018, 08:07 PM
How many moose do you guys "Speculate" are shot and left every year in the Peace?? I am curious as to how you come up with any numbers at all....unless you both hunt and work up here and spend 100+ days in the bush?

Believe it or not, most hunters are honest and "don't shoot first count later".

After spending 6 years living here and hunting the area since the 3 on the brow first came into affect as well as spending 100+ days in the field working and hunting, I can honestly say I have come across one illegal bull shot and left. If there were multiple bulls being left in the bush, we would see the regs changed.....but it simple not true. I would care to bet there is more "2 pt" shot and left in region 7A and 5 than all bulls shot and left in 7B....and we have a two pint season as well!

What would be interesting would be to see how many illegal bulls are shot and taken home, but then again, we would have others bitching about the Cache Creek road block trying to catch those illegal bulls...…

Cheers

SS

I agree most do make a solid effort on counting points and only pull the trigger on legal a animal

When I speak of issues with point restrictions I am not specifying the peace or even moose for that matter. I would not bet on reg changes over these kind of issues either

No expert on the peace and have not spent a lot of time hunting there. Yes I have friends who live there and grown up there their whole life. They do find the odd moose, elk, and mule deer that does not make point restrictions but this is not every year. It happens how often I have no idea

I was actually given the number of moose that were reported shot/found not meeting restrictions for one season in the past 7a or 7a/b combined I can’t remember. It was much higher then I would have expected almost 250 if memory is correct

I know for a fact one region in southern BC a few years back had more bulls that did not meet restrictions the legal bulls taken

Short MD in 3-32 was enough of an issue one year to get an article in the paper

Been given enough examples over the years I don’t care for the point restrictions management. People are not perfect neither is the system

Before you make a statement ?ing this go do the research yourself and reach your own conclusions I am not asking you to believe me

You enjoy the extra days it gives and I can understand that. I don’t like point restrictions in general and that is my opinion

Enjoy you’re season the peace is a nice place to hunt

Caribou_lou
10-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Good luck to everyone. Stay safe and straight shooting!

Wild one
10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Cow and calf seen this morning but no antlers could be grown

Jrax
10-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Going to hunt tomorrow and Monday morning with the inlaws but also have the late draw in 6-08 along with a goat tag.

Helped a neighbor track a bull he shot on oct 18th just outside of smithers. There were two bulls hanging out together both good size bulls and no cows around that he saw. Weather is sunny and high of 11C for next couple days - what a great time to get out and enjoy the outside before the long winter!

S.W.A.T.
10-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Pretty warm out

Caribou_lou
10-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Pretty warm out

Wont be many moose shot with weather like this. Which will result in many hunters saying "Theres no moose out there".

S.W.A.T.
10-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Wont be many moose shot with weather like this. Which will result in many hunters saying "Theres no moose out there".

Good, means less people in the future.

todbartell
10-21-2018, 10:33 AM
-5c this morning, not that warm.

talver
10-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Will be interesting to see any pic or hear any stories from the season.

todbartell
10-21-2018, 12:36 PM
I know of 3 bulls taken on the first day

two-feet
10-21-2018, 12:38 PM
We got into moose but could not seal the deal. Great hunt, great time. Plenty of moose around where we were, had a bull come in to the call but got behind us and got our wind

kilometers
10-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Brother in-law took a shot at one. He was not sure where it got hit. Long shot down a hill into a swamp. He went down and found blood. Ended up bumping it and it took off. He pulled out and gave me a call. We went back a couple hours later followed the blood trail for a kilometer or two And it just stopped. Circled around multiple times and followed all the moose tracks in the area no more blood to be found. Went back the next day with four of us walked around the area for a couple hours. Nothin. Lots of fresh sighn. No more blood. No moose. Very disappointing first moose that I have never been able to find.

Wild one
10-21-2018, 07:37 PM
So far 3 cows 1 calf and 1 lucky little bull

BromBones
10-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Spent Saturday hunting a spot of mine, good amount of fresh moose sign.

Went back this morning to find the biggest grizzly I've ever laid eyes on had moved through the area & down into the creek bottom I was hunting. That ended any thoughts of hunting moose on that stretch. :)

Front pad 9'' wide.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44453458_1827410613974178_7215763885863731200_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=f7d126e67242ee1611daf11b02af925c&oe=5C3CB37F

StuBrown
10-23-2018, 04:57 PM
I called in a massive bull. 600 yards away around a small lake. We made a plan and tried to get him. Ended up missing out. He bumped a cow out and we went towards her thinking he was coming next but he went the complete opposite way... Had a great time and explored a lot of new territory.

S.W.A.T.
10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Haven't heard of any being harvested

Thunderstix
10-23-2018, 05:52 PM
I had 3 bulls all in the mid 40's at 160 yards all standing broadside.....first 10 minutes of the hunt.......the rest of the story stings to tell tell it and haunts my mind all day long every day since.

Wild one
10-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Know of one bull down for sure