PDA

View Full Version : Any Success Around Chetwyn Yet

Caveman
09-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Heading for Chetwyn in the morning and I'd love to hear if anyone is hearing of or had success already just to get the juices flowing. Packing tonight, picking my dad up in the morning and will be up there a week. Can't wait any longer!!!:biggrin:

daycort
09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Caveman,

heard a nasty little rumor that the moose die off was up around the 60% for the peace river region. it came second hand to me from the area co.
apparently elk aren't far behind. very little sign of any elk at my place of work wich is usually pretty hot for hunting. there isn't even any hunters out here right now. but good luck and i hope i didn't burst your bubble. i am sure you will find something.

Caveman
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Caveman,

heard a nasty little rumor that the moose die off was up around the 60% for the peace river region. it came second hand to me from the area co.
apparently elk aren't far behind. very little sign of any elk at my place of work wich is usually pretty hot for hunting. there isn't even any hunters out here right now. but good luck and i hope i didn't burst your bubble. i am sure you will find something.

That's not what I'm wanting to hear.:???:

sparkymacker
09-07-2007, 07:01 PM
We were in Pink Mountain for the early moose season and basically heard the same story from the locals. We only saw (3) moose in 7 days of hard hunting and covering lot's of terrain. Apparently it was the one/two punch of an unusually bad tick infestation last year and the harsh winter that did the moose in. However some guys had success so if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.........

Frango
09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
We are heading up there on the 14th .One of my hunting buds who meets us up there has already got a 6x6.He says numbers are a little down but animals are around if you know where to look.He also got a moose in the open season.He has not said anything about moose numbers being down.
I had heard from somewhere that because of heavy snow and tick problems the moose numbers are down by maybe 100,000 in bc.Could be interesting next LEH season.Good luck on the elk caveman.

Sitkaspruce
09-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I had heard from somewhere that because of heavy snow and tick problems the moose numbers are down by maybe 100,000 in bc.Could be interesting next LEH season.Good luck on the elk caveman.

If we have a 100000 moose dead in BC that would leave, aroung 60-80000 left in the entire province. I call BS on your second hand knowledge. We have had very little, if any die off here and the moose are around, it is just that with the very wet summer, vegetation is at an all time high so moose do not need to travel or move around to find it. Just get out and hunt, you cannot kill anything from siting in front of your computer and talking about it. Moose and ticks have been around for ever and so has deep snow. Some areas get hit more than others, but the moose are there, just have to walk further, hunt harder and enjoy the outdoors, because if you gauge your trip on whether you kill something, then you are hunting for the wrong reasons.

I will now get off my soap box now......

mntman
09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
If we have a 100000 moose dead in BC that would leave, aroung 60-80000 left in the entire province. I call BS on your second hand knowledge. We have had very little, if any die off here and the moose are around, it is just that with the very wet summer, vegetation is at an all time high so moose do not need to travel or move around to find it. Just get out and hunt, you cannot kill anything from siting in front of your computer and talking about it. Moose and ticks have been around for ever and so has deep snow. Some areas get hit more than others, but the moose are there, just have to walk further, hunt harder and enjoy the outdoors, because if you gauge your trip on whether you kill something, then you are hunting for the wrong reasons.

I will now get off my soap box now......

x2 the animals are there, winter/ticks are like taxes come every year

Will
09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Heading for Chetwyn in the morning and I'd love to hear if anyone is hearing of or had success already just to get the juices flowing. Packing tonight, picking my dad up in the morning and will be up there a week. Can't wait any longer!!!:biggrin:
Well if anyone can pull a critter or two out of thier ars it's you......:p
Best of Luck ! :cool:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Well if anyone can pull a critter or two out of thier ars it's you......:p
Best of Luck ! :cool:

I just hope its not a gerbil.:oops:

lunatic
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hello Caveman, I live in Tumbler Ridge and I also have not seen all this winterkill that's being talked about. I do alot of quadding, riverboating, etc and have only seen one animal carcass this year and it was being fed on by a grizzly. Not sure if it was winterkill or grizz kill. I also was recently talking with the local C.O. as we had a grizz encounter and had to destroy 2 grizzlies ( that will be another story ). He told me that there is many reports of winterkill but it is "spotty"....some areas alot worse than others. I have seen a number of bulls around T.R. in the last few weeks. as for elk, I was talking with my neighbour today as he just got back from a 4 day hunt just out of town and he said he had elk in every day. Had a few oportunities but nothing panned out. I am heading to the same area tomorrow so will post an update when I can. Good luck to you !

Allen50
09-07-2007, 10:04 PM
one of my hunting buddys just got back, and between the 3 of them they found one moose, they talked to the CO there, and he had checked 60 camps and they were the only ones with a moose,, so good luck on your trip, hope you find a moose to bag,,,

Caveman
09-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Will
Well if anyone can pull a critter or two out of thier ars it's you......
Best of Luck !

I just hope its not a gerbil.:oops:

He had better be a six point!!!!;-)

elkdom
09-07-2007, 11:50 PM
well ive read the rumors on this site, 100,000 moose dead from tics, WOW! ive lived in Dawson Creek area for 16 years, Elk rumors are just about as bad ! If you guys want to believe that crapppp go ahead but I thinks some one is sadly misinformed! every year some moose die,tics wolves even the odd one gets shot ,usually by a hunter who dont rely on poor info by someone who gets skunked, good luck they are out there!

boyd050
09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
well sorry to tell you my experience, we went up to where we usually go and do well, between chetwynd and hudson hope, left on the 20th, for a week , got wetter than hell, traveled to all our honey holes and a few we hadn't been for awhile, and sadly, very little sign and no moose, we never even seen one and we hunted hard, we checked in at the cooler in hudson hope and they said their numbers were way down, guys there that had been there from the 15th to when we left hadn't gotten one etither so all in all I had to believe that there had been some problems, not to mention a good pack of wolves had been in all the licks we frequent, so.... hope your luck is better than ours was. !!:-(

moosinaround
09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
We come home with a 6x5 elk killed in the del rio yesterday. Had about 8 bulls going and nailed ours yesterday in the am. Pretty slow at the start just have to be patient and pound the ground. We hunted for 8 days before we got our guy so dont get frustrated they are there just a little shy yet. The moose action seemed slow but there were guys seeing animals, it has always seemed slow up there when it is warm, but when the moose decide to rut they go hard.anyways we will have elk steaks this year. WWOOOO hoooo! Moosin.

Gateholio
09-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Rumor is Todd Bartell nailed an elk last week, but it cannot be confirmed due to the fact he is banned from this site...

The rumour also included 34" of penetration from a 165gr Accubond bullet form a 30-06....

alremkin
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hm, well I'm heading up to Burns Lake early tomorrow morning. I've got a moose draw that opens Spet 10-24 in 6-05.

I hadn't noticed before, but I see elk are open in the next management unit east, 7-13, and I can't make my mind up whther I should buy a tag or not. Anyone here had any success in that area?

Frango
09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Holy crap batman,I did not want to get people's panties in a knot about the 100,000 dead moose thing.I was just relating a conversation I had with a guy in the hunting store when I was buying my tags..He seemed to know what he was talking about.But then again don't we all..??Like I said My hunting bud has done well..We well be up in del rio.How are the roads Moosinaround??

moosinaround
09-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Re: Any Success Around Chetwyn Yet
Holy crap batman,I did not want to get people's panties in a knot about the 100,000 dead moose thing.I was just relating a conversation I had with a guy in the hunting store when I was buying my tags..He seemed to know what he was talking about.But then again don't we all..??Like I said My hunting bud has done well..We well be up in del rio.How are the roads Moosinaround??
Roads were actually good. We didnt get very much rain while we were up there, and they were haulin out of menias lake road from the new blocks way in the back. They were haulin from the dominion roads and the ice bridge road, but switched over to menias on wed. Elk were just starting to go with the cold morning on friday and our guy come out just a rip tearring!! It was my first elk hunt and like the good drugs I think I'm Hooked. I have dreamt about elk last night and I think I'll go lookin for some closer ground around 7a. If it rains the roads will be a little sloppy but just go slow and you should be fine. Good luck!! Moosin

30-06
09-08-2007, 09:20 PM
100,000 dead moose. thats a lot of moose . i can't see it being that many. but who know's

moosinaround
09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I think we will see way more moose up there once the rut starts. It is warm up north and the moose are not venturing out of the timber where it is cool. There are guys that are seeing moose and they are hunting hard pounding the ground (with their feet not quads) and once the moose start to get horny they will go lookin for love. We seen cows and calfs, so there must be bulls out there. There were some winter kills out in the north, and there were more wolves seen than usual, but it is a cycle and it may be swinging to the low end of the population swing? It is just my guess from what I seen over 8 days and from some of the b.s. sessions with the locals up north. Moosin

Allen50
09-08-2007, 10:01 PM
heres something intresting news, my buddy that got the moose up that way, said he was sitting watching a moose lick, when out of the tall brush a wolf stands up and starts streaching the way a dog does when they first wake, he said as he watched, it turned out to be 4 wolfes all together there laying around the moose lick, no he never took a shot at any of them,, i don't know.. just told me yesterday about it,,, so seams to be some around,, good luck to all going to that area..