PDA

View Full Version : moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

srupp
10-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Hmmm just home from one of the most challenging moose deer hunts I have ever encountered..5 inches snow..brutal cold..fierce winds..and almost no moose sign..limited muley action..
The hunting camps prior to us had seen nothing, heard nothing , and harvested nothing..20 days of nothing.
Other hunters had resorted to road hunting as days of calling had produced nothing except wolf encounters.
We encountered lynx, rabbits..harvested rabitt, many grouse..turned down a few bucks and no chance at a 3 x3 busting accross a narrow trail .I was there to enjoy the scenery, the outdoors, the friendship, and a few grouse..and maybe a deer...
Went through 2 x30 pound propane tanks for heat..
Someone will perhaps help me post photos of the 2 lucky moose hunters that hung in and harvested their moose..I would like to post photos of my deer..however I passed on the spikers..2 point muleys I encountered. ..sitting completely still on a back cut block..I had deer wander out to within 70 yards..but nothing I wanted to tag.
Some absolutley hilarious encounters. .still laughing..other incidents scarey...
And the unexplained..a brilliant red sphere the size of a grapefruit at 60 yards come accross a ATV trail..wth?
I am waiting for photos from the fortunate hunters..and camp life..and will post some stories from the hunt over the next few days.
Cheers

corywilson13
10-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear that your group was not successful - the weather sure changed quickly at the start of October. I felt very fortunate (in more ways than one) to be packing up camp and driving south when I did.

Misread your first post - congratulations to you and "The Italians". Looking forward to the stories and photos.

-Cory

srupp
10-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Hmm harvesting 2 bull moose..lol that's all the moose tags in our group..2 years in a row..2 bulls in 2017..2 bulls again this year 2018
Glad you too brought home a moose..nice sized one at that.
The weather was indeed brutal..however hanging in there..scored 2 bull moose.
Steven

IronNoggin
10-13-2018, 11:09 AM
... Someone will perhaps help me post photos of the 2 lucky moose hunters that hung in and harvested their moose..

Feel free to send any and all pictures you want posted here to me, and I'll happily look after that for you my Friend!
Happy to hear you are back safe & sound, and that the mission was chiefly a success!

Welcome back to warmth & home! :-D

Cheers,
Matt

srupp
10-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Thanks !
Matt..your going to have to send me your e? Mail address
Cheers and thank you.
Steven

IronNoggin
10-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Matt..your going to have to send me your e? Mail address

Again?? Sheesh!! LOL!!! :lol:

Done, but I am just headed out for an evening's visit with my local Blacktail Buddies...
If you send them along, I'll deal with them when I get back tonight or the early...

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Good luck Matt...straight shootiing.
I sent a few photos of our rodeo.
Thanks bro.
Cheers
Steven

IronNoggin
10-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Got the pix.
They are loaded up to the image hosting site now.
Do you want me to randomly post them here? Or ???

Wondering...
Nag

IronNoggin
10-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Roger. As per your request my Friend!

https://i.imgur.com/cPzUO1K.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5kQucUg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yB1KUCP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/atvQEl9.jpg

IronNoggin
10-14-2018, 12:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9Alsil6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/flogHaI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tEbiUnP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YlBFyxu.jpg

Now over to you for the tale!!

Cheers!
Nog

Wrayzer
10-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Awesome, love the photos. Nice work Srupp, thanks for putting up. Major lack of stories again this season.

quadrakid
10-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Love the pic of meat hanging. congrats to the hunters

Bugle M In
10-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Great job, glad you all had a good time and some success!

Carbonmatrix
10-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Nicely done Steven!

Jagermeister
10-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Hmmm just home from one of the most challenging moose deer hunts I have ever encountered..5 inches snow..brutal cold..fierce winds..and almost no moose sign..limited muley action..
The hunting camps prior to us had seen nothing, heard nothing , and harvested nothing..20 days of nothing.
Other hunters had resorted to road hunting as days of calling had produced nothing except wolf encounters.
We encountered lynx, rabbits..harvested rabitt, many grouse..turned down a few bucks and no chance at a 3 x3 busting accross a narrow trail .I was there to enjoy the scenery, the outdoors, the friendship, and a few grouse..and maybe a deer...
Went through 2 x30 pound propane tanks for heat..
Someone will perhaps help me post photos of the 2 lucky moose hunters that hung in and harvested their moose..I would like to post photos of my deer..however I passed on the spikers..2 point muleys I encountered. ..sitting completely still on a back cut block..I had deer wander out to within 70 yards..but nothing I wanted to tag.
Some absolutley hilarious encounters. .still laughing..other incidents scarey...
And the unexplained..a brilliant red sphere the size of a grapefruit at 60 yards come accross a ATV trail..wth?
I am waiting for photos from the fortunate hunters..and camp life..and will post some stories from the hunt over the next few days.
Cheers
I'm waiting for the picture of this one.
And Ruppster, wth is that thing on your handle bar? Looks like a piss funnel. Saves you from wetting your boots?http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sEm_oops2.gif

Looked like a fun time for all. WIWT

srupp
10-14-2018, 02:49 PM
TheOTE=Jagermeister;2041730]I'm wait picture of this one.
AndiveRuppster, wth is that thing on your handle bar? Looks like a piss funnel. Saves you from wetting your boots?http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sEm_oops2.gif

Looked like a fun time for all. WIWT[/QUOTE]

Lol...that "thing"..is a KC...MAGNUM 22 inch moose call. ..helps with tone. .resonence. .and volume..its by Ken Capeing world champion moose caller..sold at Cabelas...when not in use it sits on my GPS ram mount..got 3 of 4 Italians being very good callers. ..
The fur hat..Susan bought for me at Barkerville..warmest hat Ive ever used including my Canadian army winter face balavlava.
The smaller moose..i always say SHOOT what presents itself..Cariboo is meat hunt..go north for 60 "
Just about cleaned up..story will start.
THANK YOU MATT YET AGAIN FOR HELP WITH PHOTOS.
cheers
Steven

gcreek
10-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Well done Steven, nice to see 4 quarters hanging and properly looked after.

srupp
10-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Well done Steven, nice to see 4 quarters hanging and properly looked after.

Thank you, sir.
Using a Milwaukie 20 volt cordless recip saw with 12 inch bi metal 5 tpi deconstruction blade..hair left on lower edges of quarters.
The photo of the meat was after hanging. .but prior to final clean up..so washed in 70 percent vinegar 30 percent water..cleans up to shine on bones.then bagged in Yukon game bags .

It was hung under tarps..no sun on meat..reduces temp fluctuation..tarps allowed air movement..
The temperature was -- 9 at night and + 6 during day.meat will be awesome.we took an animals life we have a responibility to utulize it all..and keep its taste , flavour, tenderness as good as we can..
I try andhelp new hunters..but I also practice what I preach.
Cheers
Steven

tayleoscar
10-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Great hunt Steven!!!

Rattler
10-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Looks like a fun hunt despite the cold. Nice camp you had there as well.

Thanks for sharing...

bc_buckshot
10-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Hands down one of the favorite hunt I ever been on. Got a 6 pack just laughing at night, and Rupp can rap guys don’t let him fool you...

srupp
10-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Hands down one of the favorite hunt I ever been on. Got a 6 pack just laughing at night, and Rupp can rap guys don’t let him fool you...

Hmmmm lol..congrads on your first moose Chris..it was incredibly difficult weather, non co operative moose..im sure all including me thought it would be easier..thanks for keeping the faith Chris and not bailing ..it was challenging however I knew we could get it done..and we..more importantly you got it done..sorry for not being physically able to do so many things..thank you that you were willing and could.enjoy your sheep artwork.

Feel free Chris to add your views..insights..finishing travel trailer cleanup in AM then will share the adventure in words.
Cheers
Steven

Arctic Lake
10-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Congrats to your Moose Mafia hunting friends Steven !
Would be interesting to hear or try that KC Magnum call . I have called using bare hands and also birch bark call purchased at Canadian Tire and had luck with both ways . But one is always looking for a better mouse trap I mean Moose trap !
Arctic Lake

srupp
10-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Congrats to your Moose Mafia hunting friends Steven !
Would be interesting to hear or try that KC Magnum call . I have called using bare hands and also birch bark call purchased at Canadian Tire and had luck with both ways . But one is always looking for a better mouse trap I mean Moose trap !
Arctic Lake
I too have used my hands cupped to my mouth for over 25 years..a fellow hunter recomended th KC MAGNUM..I personally think its wickedly effective..I 100 % recomend it as a tremendous improvement over my traditional method.as I said resonance. .tone..and volume all is enhanced by this fibreglass call..sounds like tge real thing.
Cheers
Steven

Arctic Lake
10-14-2018, 07:17 PM
I too have used my hands cupped to my mouth for over 25 years..a fellow hunter recomended th KC MAGNUM..I personally think its wickedly effective..I 100 % recomend it as a tremendous improvement over my traditional method.as I said resonance. .tone..and volume all is enhanced by this fibreglass call..sounds like tge real thing.
Cheers
Steven

Good to know ! Thanks Steven !
Arctic Lake

Sitkaspruce
10-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Another moose hunt in the books for Steven and gang!!!

Congrats on the hunters and their moose, some good times!! Thanks for bringing us along!

Cheers

SS

gcreek
10-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Thank you, sir.
Using a Milwaukie 20 volt cordless recip saw with 12 inch bi metal 5 tpi deconstruction blade..hair left on lower edges of quarters.
The photo of the meat was after hanging. .but prior to final clean up..so washed in 70 percent vinegar 30 percent water..cleans up to shine on bones.then bagged in Yukon game bags .

It was hung under tarps..no sun on meat..reduces temp fluctuation..tarps allowed air movement..
The temperature was -- 9 at night and + 6 during day.meat will be awesome.we took an animals life we have a responibility to utulize it all..and keep its taste , flavour, tenderness as good as we can..
I try andhelp new hunters..but I also practice what I preach.
Cheers
Steven

That saw would be handy. An old timer here could split one with an axe so slick it looked nearly like a saw had done it. I used two axes, one sharp one to cut and another to hit the first with. It worked fine.

I use an 110 volt recip saw for beef..... and panhead’s moose.

Did you have a fly problem? I never use anything to clean up my butchering jobs unless they are. Have been told by a meat cutter that washing reduces hanging life. I prefer beef and what wild game we have eaten to hang at proper temp for a minimum of 10 days. Each to their own.

You might ask panhead what a fussy sob I am when it comes to meat! LOL

srupp
10-14-2018, 08:47 PM
That saw would be handy. An old timer here could split one with an axe so slick it looked nearly like a saw had done it. I used two axes, one sharp one to cut and another to hit the first with. It worked fine.

I use an 110 volt recip saw for beef..... and panhead’s moose.

Did you have a fly problem? I never use anything to clean up my butchering jobs unless they are. Have been told by a meat cutter that washing reduces hanging life. I prefer beef and what wild game we have eaten to hang at proper temp for a minimum of 10 days. Each to their own.

You might ask panhead what a fussy sob I am when it comes to meat! LOL

You are correct..if only one moose nothing needed..however with one moose down and one to go. .one doesnt know how long that second one will take?..hence the 70/30 vinegar wash to clean and reduce the ph level.no we did not have flies or bugs after the snow. .and the temperatures plumeted..kept meat well chilled.on fly in hunts we substitute citric acid powder and bottled water.
I cant taste any difference after the hanging cutting process.nothing wrong with being a fussy SOB..it helps with the final product.
Steven

BStrachan
10-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Thank for sharing your hunting trip story and photos Steve. Glad to hear you all survived the cold weather. I'm heading out for a 6 day hunt late November up around Gold River. Hopefully this year our batteries dont die and we freeze to death like last year..lol

srupp
10-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Photos have been posted...the events will be printed out over the next few days I hope.
We used solar panels during the day..then generator for a couple hours each night..kept the furnace fan going..and that damned cold....brrrrrrrrrrr
Good luck.li will be in Alberta with Susan on trophy mule deer hunt along the Alberta / Sask. Border. As well as general whitetail season
Steven

srupp
10-15-2018, 04:28 PM
So within 10 minutes of 2018 LEH results being announced I recieved a phone call from the moose mafia informing me they had drawn 2 moose tags yet again..and I was indeed coming along even if they had to kick in our door and drag me out of the shower.geeee how can a guy ever refuse such charm..lol so I guessed my trip to the Yukon border would wait..I was going deer hunting and accompany the moose mafia.so gear was checked..I ordered my new Honda 500 Rubicon..with all the bells and whistles..had my .270 shipped to Corlanes for a muzzle brake..repeated falls from my screwed leg had injured my shoulder making shooting unpleasant.Susan has so many years of experience getting grub and supplies for truck and travel trailer so Susan dived into getting things like home in the " fibreglass tent"
Rifle returned was resighted and worked perfectly..the new Ruby ATV arrived and was outfitted with warn provantage 2500 pound winch, Rigid 10 inch diffused LED bar..had fabricator electrical engineer install LED bar..and new Kolpin gun case..Sasha fid his usual perfect job.
The weather was predicted to be cold with snow ! So 2 extra 30 pound propane tanks were filled.the travel trailer has 2 solar panels however we also brought my 1800 watt generator for evenings meals and keep the batteries topped off every evening.
I got out for one day scouting and break in my ATV according to Hondas directions. ..those first 15..kms..then next 150 kms had strict guidlines..then oil changed.during that full day one big bull moose, cow calf, LOTS of grouse.mule deer..things looked good.
I tried to look at my game camera however a travel trailer had completely blocked the trail.so camera was left.
The moose mafia arrived on schedule at our residence in Williams lake..many extra containers were filled with water and off we headed east of the pond.
By 2 pm we had arrived and by 4 pm we had a very comfortable camp.Manny brought a camper towing a horse trailer with enough coolers of food to choke a horse. Plus 2 ATV.Pino brought an amazing Jeep lift kit huge tires,12,000 pound warn winch

srupp
10-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Hmm so 2 would sleep in the camper, while I got the main bedroom in the Citation..one on a 6 inch memory foam on the kitchen floor and one on the fold out couch.the awning was folded out tables and stoves, barbques..etc were set up..temp was set tp 61 while occupied, off when gone..55 during the night comfortable is a understatement .
That first evening we did a tour of the area..knocking off 11 grouse that first afternoon..evening..seeing a couple mule deer and readying for the mafias opening morning .maps were drawn up..locations for scents were determained.
The moose hunters from the opening season sept 10..30 had run out of gas..literally..driving..hiking..calling.20 days nada...
In skulking the area we found a dead mule deer..gutted, antlers cut off..left to rot!
So in the darkness we readied for mule deer..any buck plus the 2 hunters who had the Willy Wonka moose tags..
So at 5 am oct 1 the alarm rang..breakfast was served..and the moose mafia opened their hunting season.
Cheers
Steven

Mik
10-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a great hunting trip with a fantastic group of guys. Thanks for sharing and congrats to all

moosinaround
10-16-2018, 08:03 AM
5am, the alarm rang? then you ate breakfast? THEN you went moose hunting? Strange order of business there Steven! Opening day, I usually cant sleep, I usually grab a costco muffin, or granola bar, and head out! Good start to the story so far, nice critters too! Sorry Steven, I do enjoy your stories, please carry on! Moosin

bchunter181
10-16-2018, 10:07 AM
congrats on the hunt steve.sounds like you guys had a fun time.hunting was def tuff with the cold weather and snow.

srupp
10-16-2018, 02:50 PM
5am, the alarm rang? then you ate breakfast? THEN you went moose hunting? Strange order of business there Steven! Opening day, I usually cant sleep, I usually grab a costco muffin, or granola bar, and head out! Good start to the story so far, nice critters too! Sorry Steven, I do enjoy your stories, please carry on! Moosin

Its ok..the mafia party lasted till past 10..then up at 5..short nite for long days..will get to the hunting part..and the rotflmao Renato adventure..one for the ages..
Cheers
Steven

srupp
10-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Hmmmmm so after 30 plus years out hunting moose..I have some pretty definate ideas on what works..last few years 2 bulls takes 2 days..I freely share my ideas..and help whoever is intetested..been teaching the moose mafia crew what..why..when..in 2 years with 4 tags..4 bulls..I actually DO expect success..with a plan..and sticking with that plan .regardless..Well this year they got the regardless..in spades.first light had found the crew split in 2 miles fr7om each other..along chrismas tree sized trees in cutblocks with rising realestate accross the valley..the sounds of calling must be able to carry..very important..as well as the scents..
Moose locate each other primarily by sound..often as far as 5 kms.then smell..that breadloaf sized nose works well indeed.then visual acuity comes last.a moose has eyes 10 inches apart..each ear is approximately 11 inches long so ear tip to ear tip..31..to 33 inches..then add the sattalight dish AKA moose racks..these animals find each other by sound.

Sitting quiet, calling as LOUD AS YOU CAN.. calling every 15 minutes by your watch..staying put at one location for the entire day..most failures are because hunters call..then leave far too soon..give the guy a chance to lick his eyebrows and get to your dalling location.
So calling will., I repeat WILL get their attention. .once the added influence of good scent attractant..ie BUCK EXPERT..they are hooked..they hear a cow calling..then smell the estrus horse urine..they are convinced its a receptive cow moose..I EMPHASIZE. .their is no concept passed on that this is a human hunter fooling them..that concept doesent exist.
When the bull comes out he is looking EXACTLY at where the cow should be.
Sometimes they sneak in quiet as a church mouse..other times crashing and grunting for kilometers.
At over 3 kms the low tones drop out and it sounds like a hammer hitting a steel plate..
As important as calling is listening..

HighCountryBC
10-16-2018, 04:33 PM
5km!? Whoa, that must be a record!!

srupp
10-16-2018, 05:01 PM
5km!? Whoa, that must be a record!!

Hmm by gpsous times I have watched bulls respond to calling from over 4.5 kms..by gps..lake side location to ridgetop thrashing bulls..or from other end of lakes to where we sat calling them in.
You can cover more distance by sitting and calling than one can walk in a week..or hunt in a month.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
10-16-2018, 06:00 PM
So interesting enough each and every christmas tree clear cut had mule deer.. some walked as close as 10 yards..just sitting still..winds were perfect.day one was windy. .pretty hard to get your voice out there. .the wind kept pushing the lads calling back down their throats..and made hearing any responses improbable..however the grouse were everywhere..target rich enviroment..I think we ended up with a group total of 40 birds..and a couple of still brown snowshoe hares.30 mi utes before dusk each group headed to camp.each guy found a chore to do..cook, load water, fire up generators..fuel jeep or quads..everything locked and tarped keeping our toys out of others prying eyes.then pasta...errrr dinner was served...wonderful delicious healthy dinner..followed by some wine..home made..things tidyied up lunches made ..ready for dark 30.

srupp
10-16-2018, 06:26 PM
The first photo shows camp..on the bottom right is my new 2019 honda rubicon..second photo shows the crew..left to right
Chris, Manny, Steven, Renato...Captain Morgan...OOOOPS Pino..lol
The next 2 days each crew switched hunting areas..moving to new cut blocks..however the weather went from bad to worse..then much worse..wind..then high winds..snow..then lots of snow..it dropped to minus 9 degrees by 5 am...brrr
In the first photo there is a fast errected green 13 x13 canopy..we folded it up and errected it over our chairs or atv while calling.
Being with the moose hunters didn't seem to harm my deer sightings. ..mule deer were seen by both crews eafh and every day.
I just never saw any deer big/old enough to harvest..
We managed to plow through 75 pounds of propane in the Citation tent over the trip.plus outside cooking propane, plus propane for Lui camper for heat.

So on the 4th we actually split up into 3 groups.i had seen BIG mule deer prints down that area so I joined a crew down there. .the Rigid10 inch led bar..drew 4.5 amps..and produced 75 watts of brilliant white light..daylight brought to the dark.
Renato was a short distance away..on a hill...he is a pretty good caller..
He was there for 2 hours calling..when he STEPPED AWAY FROM HIS RIFLE..to look over the edge..when he turned around here comes a bull moose headed exactly to the spot he was calling from.he was busted..yards away from his weapon..he just froze..closed his eyes and FROZE..the bull walked straight at Renato...passing a mere 12 FEET from the surprised hunter..
The bull was absolutely silent..but stinkey...did I mention the bull passed 12 feet from the startled hunter without his rifle.
The bull walked past Renato..who once past allowed Renato to retrieve his rifle..and down the bull in one perfect shot.
Congrads Renato..not many could hold it together perfect to allow an adult moose to pass within 12 feet...
Once down..crew were rounded up..moose was field dressed..the millwakki 20 volt brushless revip saw with bi metal 5 tpi made short work of spine, legs, neck..clean cut. Moose was loaded up..back to camp..hung washed cleaned spotless..then Yukon bags were used.because of the cold temp..the meat was perfect.
One down. .one to go..
Steven

srupp
10-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Hmm what hunting trip would be recounted without the latest Steven accident..lol..
On opening day I was removing the equalizer bars..one was particularly difficult to move with the 18 inch bar..seemed bound up..when suddenly it EXPLODED downwards...the bar striking the front of my pants tearing them wide open..the bar continuing downward completely ripping the front of my new Haines underwear. .not finished yet the bar struck my penis, and my right testicle with the bar coming to rest against my steel knee..
The pain was beyond belief..I could hardly breath...it was days before the numbness left...bad..then came the pain...
I was lucky. .if a little closer the bar could have ripped me and hemorrhage from that location would have been fatal.
Incredibly. .no one laughed..however someone commented.." thats gonna leave a mark. "
Everything else was without injuries..except for our cook who seemed to be constantly cutting fingers when cooking..
Steven

TARCHER
10-16-2018, 07:12 PM
penis and testicles, OMG, we are sooooo lucky you lived to talk about it. Pale and diaphoretic reading about it.

srupp
10-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Lol considering the small target. .direct balls eye..oops.
The significance of the impact, location..hmmmm truly scared me..I consider myself lucky to be alive..
And as of yesterday..can pee again..
Steven

Carbonmatrix
10-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Man that sounds painful Steve! :shock:

Arctic Lake
10-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Geezzzz Glad your okay Steven ! Man a guy has to be careful with all aspects of a hunt !
Arctic Lake

RJHunter
10-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Omg that sounds like a close call...too close. Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing the story and hunting tips.

IronNoggin
10-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Hell of a fine trip my Friend!
Sans the "injury" that is!
Perhaps no-one laughed in your crew, but I sure as hell did when you told me the other day! :lol:
You're a Lucky Man Buddy!
In more ways than one!!

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Hmmm waited 11 years for trophy mule deer in Alberta..drew it..gear already gettig arranged..THEN...
email from really good friend..his wife passed away today..I have of course made the offer to fly to Germany to be with familly.
Hmmmm
Steven

IronNoggin
10-17-2018, 01:35 PM
I hate to say it Buddy, but you may never see that tag again.
I understand your dilemma, but I would strongly suggest you offer to head over to comfort your Friend after the Alberta hunt.
He will understand I am sure...

Just Saying...
Matt

srupp
10-17-2018, 01:48 PM
I hate to say it Buddy, but you may never see that tag again.
I understand your dilemma, but I would strongly suggest you offer to head over to comfort your Friend after the Alberta hunt.
He will understand I am sure...

Just Saying...
Matt

Yes Matt..that would be the smartest thing to do..but if I was smart I wouldnt have spent 4 years in grade 6..lo
I was the smartest Rupp..3 years in grade 12 too..lol
Time will tell..and yes im aware of the likely chance I wil earn enough points, nor may te season stay open...
However friends are like marriage..in good times and bad..during hunting season..lol
Steven

srupp
10-17-2018, 04:25 PM
So....it was Oct 4..first bull down..the 5th was again slow..and 2 hunters had to return to granolaville lotus land to work..reality..so they took the first bull to the butchers..and the 3 of us remaining..regrouped. .
The remainig hunter was still looking for his first moose..regardless I was staying for a mule deer..
However it was difficult convincing the young man to stick with it..problem was I DIDNT have the answer..when I now think it was numerous issues..the area had been hammered by hunters. .there was a impressive ..depressing increase in wolves..most bulls already were holed up with cows..hard to beat the real deal..one in the bush...nevermind...
Plus a very unusual one in 30 year cold snaps accompanied by snow..all added a bit to the mix to make it more difficult..
So we had a heart to heart discussion. .you never will harvest a moose from the couch in Vancouver..we may not get a second moose when everyone else hadnt got their first...I knew there were still bulls there they just had to keep at it.repeat as nessisary..
So we ..to Chris and Manny credit..stuck to it..I STILL had to find my deer..
Lol little did I know how bad the investment world had turned..losing us $1,000 each and every day of our 13 day hunt. .some days are diamonds. .others are dogs...
Every day we saw deer..and by staying quiet..they almost always walked in on us..to 60 yards...just not keepers. .
We never ever got a break on weather..every single day high winds..howlers..snow..blizzards..or then rain...lots of rain..so we packed the 13 x13 fold up tarp frame and sipped coffee..watched for deer and moose were called.the cold harsh rain would have soaked us and probably ended the hunt..miserable conditions..at best.
We ate like kings..I ended up the last 5 days with te 27 foot Citation all to myself..guess I was only a mafia poser..lo
I always say 2 things on any hunt..I would rather be lucky than good..and when you find a moose..any legal moose..dont turn down on day 7 what you would have harvested on the last day.
So on day seven the 2 Italian Moose Mafia holdouts..found a small moose..however a LEGAL bull moose..antlered..Chris made a exemplary shot..and moose down on the ATV trail..BONUSA..again the millwaki did its work..and in no time at all the moose was loaded.
Now both Manny and Chris are young, extremely fit guys who can manhandle the largest moose quarters. .easy peasy.
Back to camp wash hang bag tge quarters of this second bull..tremendous dinner..RIBS..my favorite and sleep in till 9 am ! Then off for 2 days of deer..lots of does but no bucks...so on day 10 we broke camp..back to our home to drop off gear while the 2 gentlemen pointed the truck and horse trailer laden with wonderfull moose meat south and home.
So in the past 3 years i have had the good fortune to lend some pointers to Manny and Loui who harvested a fine mountain grizzly
Then last year was again blessed to help Manny get his first moose, and Pino his first moose.
This year help Renato get his moose, and Chris his first moose..5 for 5 with the Moose Mafia.
Thus ends my tale...
Except...

It wasnt the wolves that scared me..it was the first time I have seen natives indians in that area..ever..and a truck load was headed IN ...AT dusk loaded with rifles at every open window...they came out hours after dark..

That scares me..
Steven

Ps.and the asshat who stole my game cam!...grrrrrrr

Bugle M In
10-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Game Cams being stolen!
Had a few friends now with that issue.
They have to make them with a GPS locater for the real owner, so that every time they are turned on, they give the owner
the co-ordinates.
Something that cant be tampered with and utterly useless unless you turn them on.
Or a lock code that only the manufacturer can unlock, and only f they are given a one time pass code by the original owner.

As for FN, and a truck load, yup, would leave me concerned as well.
Especially if the have a bed mattress on the roof with 2 guys standing in the box and rifles laying on the mattress!
Seen that too many times.
Inevitably, I had to stop hunting there, need I say more?

gamehunter6o
10-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Many thanks for giving your typing finger a big work out and us on HBC a good read.

GH

srupp
10-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm your welcome...hoping some of the Moose Mafia will add their imput..Manny? Chris? Pino.? Renato?
Still getting 5 phone calls each day from hunters returning..still out questioning their sanity..or heading out..plus getting ready for my 20 day Alberta visit to sisters., Edmontonchuk..and my mulie..whitie hunt..plus Bass Pro shop..Cabelas..West Edmonton Mall..stuff the pond doesnt have..lol
Dont have the eloquence of IronNoggin. .but try and get the story told and some photos.
Steven

bc_buckshot
10-19-2018, 07:05 AM
I have been reading this whole time Steve and i don’t have much to add, you have been bang on. Before coming into that hunt I knew nothing about moose hunting. I’ve had to except that this was my first non deer/elk hunting ways and it wasn’t about being aggressive and mobile. But to sit, and wait, and wait, and call, and wait. Moose hunting in the prime rut it’s not so much physically hard (until you have to lift quarters) but mentally tough.

Two main things I learned on this trip from you was two things. One it is amazing how one call out in a valley will be picked up by an animal km’s away with just two 11 inch ears and they will pin point the exact location it is coming from to a tee. For example Renato calling for 3 hours and that bull literally stepped over the stump he was calling.

Last thing I learned was moose hunting isn’t for the older fella. Why?..... because it can go from zero for days to 100 faster that you can blink and for anyone with a bad heart well I feel for you. For days it was sitting and trying to listen and picking your nails. To WTF just happen. I’m still in shock and would of never of played out that ending in my head.

Oh make it third thing I learned now I remember.... For the record Spam on toast with mustard and Mayo isn’t that bad if you don’t look at it and you were taught eat what’s given to you or make your own damn lunch. Steve was a kind man making me his famous Williams Lake sandwich and he doesn’t believe when he asked, it still wasnt bad.

Overall this hunt was only successful with each and everyone of us there. We all did our job, we were all respectful to each other and listened. It honestly was a team effort and like a good team we executed our plan and won. Not a lot of groups can do that. If it wasn’t for Steve’s word of advice and encouragement ( and he only came on the trip for deer and a couple hey yal’) to Manny’s cooking, Renato’s laugh, Pino’s chicken slaying and handy winch, and finally my wood chopping middlenof the night, then all this wouldn’t of happen.

T.E.A.M= Together Everyone Achieves More.....

Thank you Steve and I will keep thanking you. I’m looking forward meeting you in hopefully coming hunts and share some laughs in the trailer. Now get ready for that deer hunt, it’s your turn behind the trigger

srupp
10-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Lol thanks Chris..great job of hanging in there when the going gets challenging..

Got a summons today for jury duty. .DURING my upcoming Alberta hunt..phoned the shrriff services..who must be a hunter..he excused me from duty this time...yipppppeeeeee..

Congrads again Chris on your first moose..great shot no wasted meat..and especially thank you for all the hard work around camp..wood splitting, fire building, ATV maitenence, fuelling, an integral part of the Moose Mafia team.in every aspect..pretty hard velieving it was your first moose hunt.
Cheers
Steven..

moosinaround
10-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Srupp, and company, nice story, nice write up! Fellowship is as much a part of hunting, as killing a critter. The sooner folks realize, your hunting trip, is usually your vacation! It's not supposed to be super stressful, your out there for more than meat! Memories, experiences, friendships, far outlast the meat in the freezer! Your story telling Steven, is just fine! My condolences on your Friends passing, it is a personal dilemma, that only you and Susan can come to grips with on the trip over to Germany, or Alberta. If it was me that was your friend, I would understand if you so chose to go for the hunt.
I try to help as many folks as I am able to on this website. It is a brotherhood, and I do look at Karma as something that is payed back, good or bad!! Good luck in Alberta Steven!!

srupp
10-19-2018, 03:21 PM
My friend Detlef is an accomplished hunter, he has visited me and flown in with me for grizzly hunt, black bear hunts, as well he his wife Ingrid, and son Alex have visited in our home.
Detlef understands my dilema and has requested we hold off visiting until spring..where Susan can join me an the loss isnt so recent..

Thank you Moosin
Steven

willyqbc
10-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Good story as usual Ruppster! Did I miss the part where you explained this.....

a brilliant red sphere the size of a grapefruit at 60 yards come accross a ATV trail..wth?

Enquiring minds want to know!!:lol:

Chris

srupp
10-19-2018, 07:32 PM
[QUChrisillyqGoId story ites usual Ruppster! Did I miss the part wheained this.....

Enquiring minds want to know!!:lol:

Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris..no my friend you didnt miss this as I dont have an explaination..at all..sorry....

It crossed the road ahead..it crossed the road in maybe 3 seconds..completely from woods to south. .completely crossing a normal FSR..exiting directly to the north..FSR runs east west...it was tge same red brightness..simmilar in color to a round red illuminated boat trailer light..it didnt speed up, nor slow down...it stayed same level. .neither losing elevation or gaining elevation..
There was no road where It entered the road, nor was there a road where it exited.
There was no fog, nor was It raining.my immediate reaction was WHAT THE F####...!
I was not drinking nor had I taken any pain meds..
Sorry Chris no Idea at all..
Steven

willyqbc
10-19-2018, 09:45 PM
wow...the things ya see in the bush....thats a head scratcher for sure!:confused:

Arctic Lake
10-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Cheers
Steven

Hi Steven
Would you recommend the 18" inch or the 22'' inch KC Magnum !
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

srupp
10-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Hi Steven
Would you recommend the 18" inch or the 22'' inch KC Magnum !
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Hmmm go with 22 inch model
Steven

Arctic Lake
10-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Hmmm go with 22 inch model
Steven

Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Tim Tam Slam
10-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks Steve for this awesome story!

sorry about your dilemma

awesome you got out of jury duty!

Looking forward to hearing about the Alberta Deer Hunt :)

srupp
10-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Hmm right NOW The Edge.Steve Ecklund.huntig moose somewhere by Teslin their guide is using the 22 inch mose call by Kc .ken capling.listen to the realism.cheers
Steven