PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

04FX4
10-12-2018, 04:09 PM
I have a question. I came across a great hunting spot and also found 3 other blinds in the immediate area. So do I go back and go in these spots or pass them up? What would you do?

walks with deer
10-12-2018, 04:10 PM
what type of hunting?

04FX4
10-12-2018, 04:25 PM
The kind that involves animals.

Mulehahn
10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Are the blinds fairly new? Show signs of recent use? Do they appeared to be laid out by one person to each cover a trail or just a hodge podge and 3 different people? If it looks like they are old, or just used by one person I would still hunt the area. If it appears that they are constantly being used, or are used by a large variety of people I would move on. Still keep it in mind, but a lot of traffic in the area can deter the animals.

Wild one
10-12-2018, 04:47 PM
put yourself in the other guys shoes and think about it

You should be able to come up with the correct answer after doing this

Wild one
10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Are the blinds fairly new? Show signs of recent use? Do they appeared to be laid out by one person to each cover a trail or just a hodge podge and 3 different people? If it looks like they are old, or just used by one person I would still hunt the area. If it appears that they are constantly being used, or are used by a large variety of people I would move on. Still keep it in mind, but a lot of traffic in the area can deter the animals.

This would not be my approach

Wild one
10-12-2018, 04:54 PM
This would not be my approach

old bush blinds that have been there for years and look unused is only way I would hunt it

The Hermit
10-12-2018, 04:55 PM
what type of hunting?

Yeah that was my thought too... waterfowling? Deer? What kind of blinds? Etc . But I guess the OP doesn't care to share...

04FX4
10-12-2018, 05:11 PM
One is about a year old weathered and someone wrecked it. The other had been somewhat dismantled by someone but was a recent build for sure and the other is complete with a cam close by.No bird hunting deer, elk, moose etc.

Wild one
10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Active cam complete with blind big game as target go elsewhere

04FX4
10-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Thanks I do appreciate the input..I am a very new hunter and i do a lot of walking and driving here in region 8.it seems like if i stumble into a great (to me) spot I run into someone or another veichle and find myself walking or driving looking for another spot.

Wild one
10-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Thanks I do appreciate the input..I am a very new hunter and i do a lot of walking and driving here in region 8.it seems like if i stumble into a great (to me) spot I run into someone or another veichle and find myself walking or driving looking for another spot.

What MU are you hunting?

04FX4
10-12-2018, 05:35 PM
What MU are you hunting?

I am in 8-10

Jelvis
10-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Your doing the right thing by observing others and where they go hunting also. Hunters that know their prey, have a better chance at seeing them.
-- Others are hunting there because the area is known for some good spots.
Jel -- The guy or gal using it, only use it once in a while. -- Keep doing what your doing -- share and enjoy -- respect and maintain --

Wild one
10-12-2018, 05:58 PM
How long have you been hunting?

having much luck?

04FX4
10-12-2018, 07:59 PM
1 month...lol

Wild one
10-12-2018, 08:22 PM
1 month...lol

Ok so green as grass lol

I used to hunt whitetail a lot to the south of you but live too far away now to hunt those locations. If you’re interested I can look for my map and help you out with some of my old spots and advice to get you started on whitetail

All I ask in return is put effort into becoming a hunter that gives a good example and not an idiot in camouflage. The fact you’re looking for the ethical way to approach the situation your in is a good start

Sound like a fair deal?

Rob Chipman
10-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Nice work, Wild One!

Jelvis
10-13-2018, 07:53 AM
MU 8-10
Kelowna - Winfield East

Highway 33 bi-sects MU 8-10, the McCulloch and Pipeline roads provide access to much of this MU.
1. Logging mains running off Hwy 33 run thru good hunting spots for mules and whites
2. From Winfield on Hwy 97, the Beaver-Dee Lakes road runs thru the northern part of MU 8-10, with fair to good mules and white hunting, comes out on Hwy 6, at Lavington.
Jellz Bellz -- Mule deer and whitetail hunting -- Mu 8-10 --- access off these roads above -- mule deer and whitetail

Keta1969
10-13-2018, 09:54 AM
The way I look at it is it's public land not owned by anyone. I have just as much right to be there as the next guy. A camera or a blind doesn't give anyone sole rights to a spot. Who knows how many other blinds or cameras one guy may have out yet he can only be in one place at a time. Maybe he's tagged out or working in camp for 2 weeks. I've built stands on public land and gone back to find a guy in one. Gave him a wave and moved on, met him later and swapped numbers so we wouldn't be both heading in there. Boots on the ground are what counts in my world. Would never disturb another hunter would always move on but a camera and or a blind aren't hunting. I know lots will disagree with me but sorry I'm not giving up areas because of a camera or blind.

04FX4
10-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Wild one that is one hell of a deal. Out all day today seen a few moose and put another 14k hiking .. I did see 3 deer on the road on my way home. I also did hear a few shots in the distance. Thinking someone may have been lucky.

Wild one
10-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Been upgrading tickets all day so a little brain fried right now lol

will dig around for my map book in the morning

These locations are best for sitting and waiting. Come Nov add rattling/doe bleats. Last time I ran cams in that area had some really nice bucks on cam

Whitetail sitting is better then hiking they are a mental game not physical

Send you a PM sometime tomorrow

quadrakid
10-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Just because someone has some treestands or blinds in an area is not a reason to not hunt that area. If you think someone is actively hunting ie their is a vehicle close by then check out somewhere else. Very few people hunt "their spot" everyday. They don,t have seasons tickets on that spot.

Muledeercrazy2
10-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Just because someone has some treestands or blinds in an area is not a reason to not hunt that area. If you think someone is actively hunting ie their is a vehicle close by then check out somewhere else. Very few people hunt "their spot" everyday. They don,t have seasons tickets on that spot.

This.
If the person is in the spot then I would be respectful and move on, but if not I would feel free to hunt the area. Further, if you really like the area you might want to find out who the blind belongs to and see if you can cooperate.
I think that the first person in an area should be able to hunt it without worrying about someone else purposely hunting it or needlessly pressuring it, but many popular or easy to get to areas suffer from both.

One last thought, if the hunter was older or had a disability, etc., I would leave them be regardless.

Wild one
10-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Lots of bush out there why risk screwing up another guys hunt in an area he is investing effort into?

its not a who’s spot thing it’s respect for another’s hunt

RyoTHC
10-13-2018, 08:19 PM
The way I look at it is it's public land not owned by anyone. I have just as much right to be there as the next guy. A camera or a blind doesn't give anyone sole rights to a spot. Who knows how many other blinds or cameras one guy may have out yet he can only be in one place at a time. Maybe he's tagged out or working in camp for 2 weeks. I've built stands on public land and gone back to find a guy in one. Gave him a wave and moved on, met him later and swapped numbers so we wouldn't be both heading in there. Boots on the ground are what counts in my world. Would never disturb another hunter would always move on but a camera and or a blind aren't hunting. I know lots will disagree with me but sorry I'm not giving up areas because of a camera or blind.

You are the one I agree with 100 percent. Let's be honest, there are roads everywhere here. If an area is really productive lots of people will know about it and use it. If I came across someone in a blind , I'd leave that area ? An empty one ? It's my time to hunt and I'm utilizing the area I'm in.

okas
10-14-2018, 10:14 AM
I find in region 8 you have to look up most of the time as stands everywhere as hunting on foot . But Common sense these days is rare as what is right or wrong

Wild one
10-14-2018, 11:58 AM
PMed you a few spots to start now hammer one of the big boys I know lives there. Come Nov you want to make sure you have a good understanding of these locations because you want to be prepared to start calling

I will gladly help you start out and help you learn so you won’t feel the need to invade another’s cam/blind/stand locations like some here suggest is alright

Most locations from me you should have little issue with other hunters

howa1500
10-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Such a tricky question, but building a stand on public land comes with inherent risks, such as someone else using it. You do not own the rights to a stand built. Building a stand doesn't lock in your rights to an area. This is no different then parking your truck across a logging road so others can't come into the area.

BUT... I am also of the opinion that you should never mess with someones setup, and if possible make it better then then way you found it. So if you start using it, don't leave your garbage, don't leave your sh!t, fix up the logs/boards/scrim, and maybe leave a note, with a hidden mickey somewhere for them as thanks. Never argue with someone in the stand already, and accept that they are in it.

IMHO - very few fellas should get upset if they come back to their non wrecked, clean, improved stand.

However there is sooooo much country to hunt in BC, that you shouldn't need to work some fellas honey hole, you should be able to find your own!!!!

Negative attitudes, hate, and the feeling of ownership of public lands is what ruins hunting experiences for people.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Hunt it! Nobody owns a hunting spot, not even guides. If the person with the blinds sees you hunting there, then he/she should leave the area also. You are stupid if you invest in lumber and time to set up on crown land and think others will not use your setup. I came across a blind this week. Not more than 5 yrs old. A tree fell through, knocking it to the ground. Wanna bet whoever built it doesn't bother to clean it up? But that's a whole other can o' worms.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-14-2018, 12:43 PM
I will gladly help you start out and help you learn so you won’t feel the need to invade another’s cam/blind/stand locations like some here suggest is alright

Just curious...do you try to kick people off YOUR fishing lake also?
It's crown land. Go where you want to. If nobody is there, it's fair game ( pun intentended ).
It's part of why this province is so great to hunt. Otherwise I'll just go set up cameras and signs all over the place telling other hunters that a certain area is mine. But some of us have already come across "private land" signs posted on crown land.

Wild one
10-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Just curious...do you try to kick people off YOUR fishing lake also?
It's crown land. Go where you want to. If nobody is there, it's fair game ( pun intentended ).
It's part of why this province is so great to hunt. Otherwise I'll just go set up cameras and signs all over the place telling other hunters that a certain area is mine. But some of us have already come across "private land" signs posted on crown land.

Yes I really concearn about claiming a spot lol

The Op is getting locations from me that commonly hold big WT bucks and I have helped many others on this forum over the years. When you have faith in your knowledge and skills you concern less about spots

Its nothing about one owning a spot expecting them to leave it’s about respect for your fellow hunter. Hunting with integrity and honour is what it’s about

It may come as a shock but some of use actually concern more about who we are as a hunter then a chance at filling a tag

rocksteady
10-14-2018, 01:25 PM
So dont go right into "the spot"... stay out 500 yards.. the critters may have to go past you to get to the stands..

IslandWanderer
10-14-2018, 02:07 PM
The kind that involves animals.

Not a very cool attitude for someone looking for advice.

rocksteady
10-14-2018, 03:00 PM

It was a joke.. i am sure..

skibum
10-14-2018, 03:22 PM

This - some respect for others, but no one reserves a spot.

04FX4
10-14-2018, 05:40 PM

no disrespect was intended with this comment.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-14-2018, 11:36 PM
Yes I really concearn about claiming a spot lol

The Op is getting locations from me that commonly hold big WT bucks and I have helped many others on this forum over the years. When you have faith in your knowledge and skills you concern less about spots

Its nothing about one owning a spot expecting them to leave it’s about respect for your fellow hunter. Hunting with integrity and honour is what it’s about

It may come as a shock but some of use actually concern more about who we are as a hunter then a chance at filling a tag
I applaud you for helping people. But telling someone that they are "invading" crown land, when no one else is in the area, is wrong. If you don't want people in "your area", maybe don't build a beacon to hunters like a tree blind...

BTW, I had 2 gentlemen blow the deer out of a cut I was in yesterday night. I gave them a friendly wave at last light, they waved back knowing what they had done, and life goes on hunting crown land...

Wild one
10-15-2018, 05:48 AM
I applaud you for helping people. But telling someone that they are "invading" crown land, when no one else is in the area, is wrong. If you don't want people in "your area", maybe don't build a beacon to hunters like a tree blind...

BTW, I had 2 gentlemen blow the deer out of a cut I was in yesterday night. I gave them a friendly wave at last light, they waved back knowing what they had done, and life goes on hunting crown land...

I think you are completley missing my reason for being agaist hunting a location someone is running cams or fresh built blind or store bought blind or stand.

It is nothing to do with if someone starts hunting a location I have set up with cam or built blind. Not a huge deal to me I will shift to another location as I always have back ups. It’s knowing a lot of other hunters are not in that position so if I see evidence of that kind of effort I keep moving

This has F all to do with my spots it has to do with the fact why the hell knowingly crowd in on another hunters effort when there is tons of bush out there lol

You/others are correct no one owns a spot but there is also the respectful thing to do. Justify yourself how ever you please but hunting a location with an active cam and built blind is a lazy dick move

As for what happened to you been there done that and why I basically don’t target clear cuts. There is also a big difference between accidents and intentional

Keta1969
10-15-2018, 11:17 AM
I think you are completley missing my reason for being agaist hunting a location someone is running cams or fresh built blind or store bought blind or stand.

It is nothing to do with if someone starts hunting a location I have set up with cam or built blind. Not a huge deal to me I will shift to another location as I always have back ups. It’s knowing a lot of other hunters are not in that position so if I see evidence of that kind of effort I keep moving

This has F all to do with my spots it has to do with the fact why the hell knowingly crowd in on another hunters effort when there is tons of bush out there lol

You/others are correct no one owns a spot but there is also the respectful thing to do. Justify yourself how ever you please but hunting a location with an active cam and built blind is a lazy dick move

As for what happened to you been there done that and why I basically don’t target clear cuts. There is also a big difference between accidents and intentional

You're only hunting it if you're there. So if I don't run cams or build a blind but have a spot I hunt on a regular basis and I go in one day and see a cam or blind I'm supposed to move on. Maybe take my clip out and move what 500 or 1000 yards away and start hunting again? See a nice buck and let it walk. Not likely but will always move on if someone else is there.

Rieber
10-15-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm a firm believer in not messing with someone else's stuff or set-up. As it's been correctly pointed out it's Crown land but I do still respect an effort made by someone else to get their game. So whenever I find evidence that someone uses a spot on a regular basis, I look to observe from a distance, unless I walk right into the middle of it, as I'm curious as to learn what/why someone set something up and where. You learn or verify something from everything you see. Just don't sneak into the obvious shooting lanes with your next approach - if you go into that area again.

Anyways, if I see a truck parked, I don't go into the woods in that specific area. Trust no-one and you don't want to end up hunting down wind of anyone anyways. Meh, that's just me.

Wild one
10-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Hey if you’re entitlement means more to you then you’re character so be it

Pretty pathetic to key in on a small area( a blind cam set up 100yard max circle) amongst miles of bush that you can see plain as day evidence another hunter is targeting. Justify it any way you please it shows a lack of respect for other hunters

Do as you please but it is becoming clearer to me all the time why a lot of hunters are less willing to help these days

Wild one
10-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Nothing wrong with checking out a set up you stumble on as you can learn from it

Hunting another’s set up is disrespectful

dakoda62
10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
If the blinds are empty hunt the area,
it's crown/public land they have no more right than you. however if they are sitting in the blind, turn around.

tinhorse
10-15-2018, 12:27 PM
If there is only one spot to get into the area or park then I would say hunt it if you are 100% certain that no one else is in there. Last thing you or someone else wants is their hunt wrecked by someone chasing the animals out of an area. If it is possible that someone may be in there, move elsewhere.

wideopenthrottle
10-15-2018, 12:48 PM
.................................................. ............

RJHunter
10-15-2018, 01:17 PM
I hunted a whitetail area for over 10 years and hardly ever ran into anyone there as it was very thick. Never used blinds, just still hunting and calling in the timber. Then blind after blind and tree forts start popping up all over and I couldn't walk anywhere without being in someones spot. Now I am the jerk because I didn't leave when I saw the game cam and piles of grain. Placing a blind doesn't make it your spot and I say place your blind with the understanding that its crown land and anyone can hunt there. If you drop a hundred pounds of grain to attract the deer you might just help someone else while you do it. I hunt with a blind now in the winter with kids and try to place it where others can hunt around it or wouldn't even notice it. Would have no issues with someone hunting there, just ask that you don't sit in or steal my blind. Good chance that it was someones favorite hunting place before the blind was setup.

Wild one
10-15-2018, 02:02 PM
I have yet to see an area littered with active blinds, stands, baits, and cams that 2 people have posted. Hunted WT in many locations in BC and Alberta some known for being busy and have never seen this but could be my luck. So never been in a situation that even came close to not being able to avoid others set ups.

Old inactive blind/stand someone built have at. But yes too many hunters I know if you go out of your way to sit on a guys active set up yes you are being an A hole.

You guys do as you please I have picked up 2 people on cam in 10years and kicked just as many out of my stands(bought hang ons) in 15years so not personally worried about it.

All this thread has shown me is I should not give a sh!t about respecting other hunters because it’s crown land.

RJHunter
10-15-2018, 02:21 PM
I have yet to see an area littered with active blinds, stands, baits, and cams that 2 people have posted. Hunted WT in many locations in BC and Alberta some known for being busy and have never seen this but could be my luck. So never been in a situation that even came close to not being able to avoid others set ups.

Old inactive blind/stand someone built have at. But yes too many hunters I know if you go out of your way to sit on a guys active set up yes you are being an A hole.

You guys do as you please I have picked up 2 people on cam in 10years and kicked just as many out of my stands(bought hang ons) in 15years so not personally worried about it.

All this thread has shown me is I should not give a sh!t about respecting other hunters because it’s crown land.

The number of blinds and baiting in the area I am talking about actually changed the deer pattern. The deer used to be scattered about but now you can walk on any of the major deer trails and follow them bait pile to bait pile. I'm not saying I sit in someones spot, just saying I hunt as I always have and don't avoid walking through areas because someone has a blind. One of my favorite and most productive spots now has a blind on it....so now I should stop hunting there after 10 years...no don't think so.

Wild one
10-15-2018, 02:32 PM
The number of blinds and baiting in the area I am talking about actually changed the deer pattern. The deer used to be scattered about but now you can walk on any of the major deer trails and follow them bait pile to bait pile. I'm not saying I sit in someones spot, just saying I hunt as I always have and don't avoid walking through areas because someone has a blind. One of my favorite and most productive spots now has a blind on it....so now I should stop hunting there after 10 years...no don't think so.

Still hunt through an area is not a big deal it’s guys who go sit in a location that is plain as day active set up. The guy who goes and targets an are just because they see a cam/stand/blind.

Honestly an area like your describing I would not hunt because it is too crowded by my standards. Yes I have stopped hunting areas I targeted for years just because of too many hunters

Sawickispeed
10-15-2018, 02:37 PM
PMed you a few spots to start now hammer one of the big boys I know lives there. Come Nov you want to make sure you have a good understanding of these locations because you want to be prepared to start calling

Most locations from me you should have little issue with other hunters

this is one of the coolest posts I’ve seen on here.

RJHunter
10-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Still hunt through an area is not a big deal it’s guys who go sit in a location that is plain as day active set up. The guy who goes and targets an are just because they see a cam/stand/blind.

Honestly an area like your describing I would not hunt because it is too crowded by my standards. Yes I have stopped hunting areas I targeted for years just because of too many hunters

Yes, agreed. I should have moved on a few years ago.

Wild one
10-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Yes, agreed. I should have moved on a few years ago.

To be clear I only would move on because I hate being crowded that is a personal choice

bluesman
10-15-2018, 07:54 PM
this post is a a situation that is coming more common place as we have more hunters than in the past. My opinion is if you see a pop up blind or a tree stand that is portable, there is a very good chance the hunter is actively using it and if this area is new to you, the right thing to do is move on and avoid the area. If you had been hunting the area prior to the blind being seen, I would make an effort to speak with the other hunter and let him know you have been hunting this area and will be sharing it with him. Still respect each other and if possible find out if you plan to hunt at the same time. and work it out between you two. In this case , the area is new to you and the other hunter has taken the time to set up a blind and a camera. I would avoid the area. I don't think it is right for any hunter on crown land to expect to have the right to an area every season...it should be shared. The general rule is put yourself in the other guys shoes and do what is ethically right between the two of you.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-15-2018, 09:43 PM

I don't hunt where others are hunting at the same time. That is a no-no. The rest we will have to agree to disagree on.

Liveforthehunt
10-15-2018, 09:51 PM
PM me you may have possibly found a location I know of very well. Were you bordering 22 and 10 ?

Treed
10-15-2018, 11:00 PM
I’ve built 4 stands on crown land and haven’t used them much. When I built them, I knew they weren’t going to be my private stands. Have at ‘er. As long as someone isn’t in them, it’s open season. Some of the best meetings and talks I’ve had with other hunters have been hiking into far off spots (one of them my favourite spot). I will always share info with someone willing to put the effort in - even if it changes my hunt. Most guys I’ve met are the same.

Darksith
10-16-2018, 01:26 AM
I have 6 cameras in one central area around a certain swamp. I have pictures of a father/son walking through this area. Only have pictures of people one other time, never before, never since. I have no concerns with someone else hunting this spot, it certainly isn't "mine". If I am there first one day, I would expect someone else to keep on driving rather than park beside me and walk in to this spot. If someone else was parked there first I would do the same. Just because there is a blind and or camera doesn't mean shit. It simply means there might be a good chance of bagging something. Don't let that discourage you, be respectful, observe and be first haha. Must be a good spot, probably worth getting to know if you are a new hunter.

Jelvis
10-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Crown land is thee Resident Hunter's hunting land, all of it!
Crown land is thee resident hunter's land to hunt, anyone who buys a tag.
-- L E H ---- Limited Entry already so don't limit yourself any more than you need to
Bucks run ridges and flats and know where it's at, and so do hunters of experience.
If you want that certain buck and he is in here, on Crown and you want to put em down? Hunt around.
Jel - you have to hunt it to put em down! You need to be a good shot also, accurate and set up qweek like with a rest if possy bell, Ding Dong!

wideopenthrottle
10-16-2018, 06:40 AM
To be clear I only would move on because I hate being crowded that is a personal choice

my feeling exactly

Wild one
10-16-2018, 06:53 AM
I don't hunt where others are hunting at the same time. That is a no-no. The rest we will have to agree to disagree on.

Your choice but you do realize it’s not that simple to know if a guy is hunting his location at that moment

If you’re in someone’s stand and they remove the last 8 feet of steps laughing you will understand the location is crown land but the steps are private property lol

Ubertuber
10-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Crown land is crown land.
If I see someone's pop up blind or hang on tree stand, I would conclude that the hunter is actively hunting and I'd walk on by. This is what I would expect and judging from most responses to this thread, it's what most guys would do.
If I come upon a blind made of sticks and branches with no evidence of it being currently used (no truck in area, no chair, that sort of thing), I may stop and check out the view. No harm, no foul.