PDA

View Full Version : Novemebr elk rut

masoncade1992
10-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Being that we are all talking about elk lately, I thought I would post about an interesting thing I saw last year. Early in September in one of my usual elk areas, I was noticing a good population of big Mule deer. So once November 7th came, I figured I would head in to glass some big mule deer. I hiked about 4 km in on an old cut block and could hear what sounded like elk mewes. So I walked in very silent and came to an opening and seen with out a word of a lie, at least 120 head of elk. I sat an watched over 10 bulls ,5pts and 6 points just screaming their heads off and chasing the cows and fighting each other. so may firsts for me on elk hunting. I have never seen a herd that big and I have never seen elk rutting in November.

anyone experience this?

Monashee
10-10-2018, 12:52 PM
if a cow elk isn't bred in her first heat she comes into heat a month later , general health and age play a part too .... also bull elk are damn horny critters

Bugle M In
10-10-2018, 01:17 PM
I read an article once that said elk can have up to 4 rut cycles.
Starting in August, and the each month after that, til you guessed it, November.
That being said, it was from a USA Bio.

.308SLAYER
10-10-2018, 01:41 PM
The latest I've witnessed this activity is Oct...but have seen the big boys with the girls in November a few times

masoncade1992
10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
it was really cool. usually though this area has small groups of elk . 8-12 elk per herd. seeing such a large amount rutting at one time and in November (-20c), was incredible to say the least.

Arctic Lake
10-10-2018, 04:05 PM
When do elk usually start to rut ? Is it the same as moose ?

Thanks
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
10-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Being that we are all talking about elk lately, I thought I would post about an interesting thing I saw last year. Early in September in one of my usual elk areas, I was noticing a good population of big Mule deer. So once November 7th came, I figured I would head in to glass some big mule deer. I hiked about 4 km in on an old cut block and could hear what sounded like elk mewes. So I walked in very silent and came to an opening and seen with out a word of a lie, at least 120 head of elk. I sat an watched over 10 bulls ,5pts and 6 points just screaming their heads off and chasing the cows and fighting each other. so may firsts for me on elk hunting. I have never seen a herd that big and I have never seen elk rutting in November.

anyone experience this?
That must have been incredible to see , good for you !
Arctic Lake

Ourea
10-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Yes, several times

123.brewski
10-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Juvenile bulls will "practice rutting" almost all year. I have also witnessed a group of 11 bull with similar activity in late November, with no cows in sight

Jelvis
10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Do the bi bulls come out in late season then? Ahhhh ? 123 ? :roll: -- an idea to drop that huge 7 point late - :lol:
You say no cows in sight and still acting excitied? Maybe respond to a call later on in the season for no reason --
Jelly -- Late season treason?

358mag
10-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Juvenile bulls will "practice rutting" almost all year. I have also witnessed a group of 11 bull with similar activity in late November, with no cows in sight

Have seen more than a few times in November very mature bulls in with the cows and it wasn't " practice rutting" activity .

.264winmag
10-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Headed to the Inlaws for Xmas on west coast van isle several years ago. Stopped to glass one of the local elk herds as per usual. Just cows n calfs thought wtf honked on the bugle and up stands this big ole Rosie bull and starts screaming away. Went back n forth for awhile until he rounded up his bitches and slipped away into the rainforest thicket jungle with his snout right up ones arse. Dec.22. I've seen wt and bt mount does in January.

masoncade1992
10-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Headed to the Inlaws for Xmas on west coast van isle several years ago. Stopped to glass one of the local elk herds as per usual. Just cows n calfs thought wtf honked on the bugle and up stands this big ole Rosie bull and starts screaming away. Went back n forth for awhile until he rounded up his bitches and slipped away into the rainforest thicket jungle with his snout right up ones arse. Dec.22. I've seen wt and bt mount does in January.

That's awesome! This year I drew an any elk LEH ;) dec1-feb 30. so mayb just maybe they will still be herded with the cows come dec:grin:

.264winmag
10-11-2018, 04:24 PM
That's awesome! This year I drew an any elk LEH ;) dec1-feb 30. so mayb just maybe they will still be herded with the cows come dec:grin:
Nice, good luck!
but I'd be looking for that herd spiker bull ;)