PDA

View Full Version : I'm just going no matter what.........

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Well another year is here, and I still have no dependable sheep hunting partner, so I'm going it alone, 4 years of I can't go one week before departure day. Well that's to bad for him, cause I'm going.

I'm going up to 3-32, in the Cardtable & Relay area, I haven't been there before, but have looked the area over via maps and other sources for way to long now, it's time I saw it for myself. I'm not getting any younger.

I leave Monday morning, hitting up the 7am ferry and I'm gone til Friday (yes short trip due to work), there's still an empty seat in the truck if anyone wants to come along.

Anyone have any advice for a solo sheep hunter while up in those hills? pm me if you don't want the rest of the World to know what ever you got to say.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

lip_ripper00
09-06-2007, 10:30 PM
get r done! Good luck, wish I could join ya!8-)

horshur
09-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Well another year is here, and I still have no dependable sheep hunting partner, so I'm going it alone, 4 years of I can't go one week before departure day. Well that's to bad for him, cause I'm going.

I'm going up to 3-32, in the Cardtable & Relay area, I haven't been there before, but have looked the area over via maps and other sources for way to long now, it's time I saw it for myself. I'm not getting any younger.

I leave Monday morning, hitting up the 7am ferry and I'm gone til Friday (yes short trip due to work), there's still an empty seat in the truck if anyone wants to come along.

Anyone have any advice for a solo sheep hunter while up in those hills? pm me if you don't want the rest of the World to know what ever you got to say.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

It's beautiful country--can't say I ever saw a sheep in there but I've not hunted cardtable either. I know at the cabin on relay is a big set of ram horns--Bring a Mule deer tag--seen plenty of those in there. Good luck.

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Yep a deer tag and a moose tag are on the license already, if no sheep then maybe one of the other.

From what I have seen on the web and pictures and Google Earth the country sure does look pretty, if it's anything in it's own as beautiful as Spatsizi or Mt. Edziza then that alone I will be pleased for just being out there with the camera.
Too bad the trip is so short though, that work thing kind of gets in the way.

I'm guessing that a shot up there is a dinner bell to a bear(s) like most other places where I've seen that sort of thing, if so then I had better be a little more observant while dressing out a piece of game, as I won't have an extra set of eyes to watch out for me this time.

If I had more time I would travel further into the back country to some of the other peaks that have caught my eye.

Mr. Dean
09-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Good decision!

I 2nd the Deer tag also. Don't get overly involved looking for the immy. If ya can't find any sheep, just focus on the Mullies.

Bring home the pics - Good luck!

Will
09-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a Great Place !
Wish I didn't have to work...be right Happy to take up that extra seat;)
Best of Luck & Enjoy the trip...be safe !
Take Pics 8-)

308BAR
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Safe journeys and make sure you leave details so someone knows where your camping and which mountain your heading up on which days. Good luck and post up pictures when your done.

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Well no one filled that extra seat in the truck, did try to find someone, but it was way too short notice.
Thanks to Symon & others for offering if they had more time to prepare.

I'm off as of 5:30 am Monday morning right after work, people are aware of where roughly I am going to be while up that way, and plan on returning Friday evening because of that thing called weekend graveyard work.

Will post pics when I return. Wish me luck.

Big Bucks
09-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Good luck bc boy

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Wow, is that ever some great looking country up there.

Came home empty handed, but have some knowledge on the area now.

That Hurley FSR sucks, bumpedy bump bump bump all the way.

Well, I decided to head up there via the #1 to Lytton #12 to Lillooet then #40 to Gold Bridge, It's a very nice drive, great scenery, young sheep right on the #12.

I had a wheel bearing give me some trouble near Mission, so I stopped in at the folks place and repacked the fronts and I was on my way again.

Didn't see any sheep up there, did see a goat on the other side of the valley I was at, did see a great big Mullie when I was just getting up there in the night, tried a little hunting in the area where I saw him at on the way out, but didn't come across anything legal. Also on the way out just before twilight there was a moose cow and her calf laying on the road.

The weather was great 30C in the day and felt like 0C at night.
Wednesday was the only day that wasn't so spectacular at first, but it cleared up.

When I headed back for home, I decided to drive the Hurley FSR from Gold Bridge to Pemberton, I drove it in the dark so I didn't get a chance to see any of the sights, like I said earlier the road was just wash board from head to toe, and my truck is a stiff truck and that wasn't much fun, so I took it slow, when I came out to a stop sign in the Pemberton Meadows I wasn't too sure which way to go as I had never been there before, but judging by the dusty tire marks on the road I made the right decision and found the town & highway from there. If there wasn't so much construction happening on the sea to sky hwy (to which I was clueless about) I would have been at Tsawwassan much earlier then 4am, but all in all I made it home by 945am this morning, had left the area @ about 8pm.

Not much for pictures, just some pics of the hills from below, the batteries crapped out on me when I was trying to take some pics at first camp and I didn't bother packing in any others as I was shaving off any additional weight possible, plus the camera just had new batteries put in (obviously old stock on the shelf) so I thought I was good in that department.
Will post them later.

I had a good time, no matter what. Maybe next time I'll borrow the neighbors mule for when I go up that way. save me from packing a 70+LBS pack and a 10lbs lead chucker all at once.

Plus it would be nice having another person along for the hunt, I got bored up there being alone, some conversation definitely would have been nice. Being by myself this time around definitely increased my pack weight, usually with two guys the stove/fuel and cookware and tent and food get shared and both packs weigh a lot less then my one pack this trip.

I hope to get back up there again before the season is over this year, say maybe just after Thanksgiving, when I get back from the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana. Hopefully the weather will hold out for then.

Mr. Dean
09-15-2007, 04:41 AM
All good.

Nothing wrong with a 'nothing killed' hunt. Thanks for the story, it was cool.

Mtn Wonderer
09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I know that country you were in and have hunted sheep in 3-32,3-31 for years and am without a sheep hunting partner as well. I have done the solo thing as well, last year for dall sheep. Yep, it sucks but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Anyhow sounds like your into goiing again, I went for dall sheep late august and early september and didn't cut my tag.
So if your interested we could team up for a southern BC hunt. PM me if you like.