PDA

View Full Version : whitetail rottisiere

walks with deer
10-10-2018, 07:56 AM
what are you doing with your fawn...

rotate on fire or turkey frier...

wideopenthrottle
10-10-2018, 08:01 AM
I got one 2 years ago and deboned the entire ass end into one roast with the plan to do it on a BBQ or spit/openfire but it ended up cubed for a Jamaican jerk venison dish a couple of months ago and was the last piece of it left in the freezer...

walks with deer
10-10-2018, 06:21 PM
or butterfly and cook on open pit?

tigrr
10-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Who shoots a fawn? Not me.

walks with deer
10-10-2018, 08:21 PM
please explain..

BigfishCanada
10-11-2018, 07:55 AM

If you have an LEH, why wouldnt one? If your not needing a large deer a fawn will the best tasting game at the table. I had one once, and i halved it, and slow roasted one QTR for XMAS dinner, was dynamite

steelslinger
10-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Fawns are tasty, I'll happily shoot one.

walks with deer
10-11-2018, 10:35 AM
no leh needed whitetail are open...

rocksteady
10-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Where is this thread going?

Wild one
10-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Each to their own but personally I find it more satisfying to pack my meat out in a backpack not my pockets

If a want a small quantity of quality meat I will grouse hunting lol

Rieber
10-11-2018, 01:14 PM
To each their own within the Regulations. I don't judge the prize by it's size. But if you want the biggest of the best - then go for it.

rocksteady
10-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Personally... i will not shoot a fawn or a doe with fawns... dry doe... no babies.. BANG..

wideopenthrottle
10-11-2018, 03:14 PM
if you are like me and can barely get your wife to eat wild meat, you go for the better table fare that will get eaten and enjoyed rather than a freezer full of meat she wont eat...

Rieber
10-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Personally... i will not shoot a fawn or a doe with fawns... dry doe... no babies.. BANG..

This is ideal if you need to take an antlerless - take one that that's finished it's baby making. Speaking of which, did you ever see that old monster mule doe that lives amoungst the houses in Logan Lake, just on the downhill section of road of going to the Tunkwa Lk Road. Dang - first time I saw her I thought it was a mis-scaled lawn ornament but no - she's the size of a donkey. Huge and never seen her with fawns for a few years now.

Wild one
10-11-2018, 04:30 PM

This is how I see it as well. Good amount of meat and lower impact on population

finngun
10-11-2018, 06:09 PM
i m happy to shoot a fawn..best kind of meat y can eat ..if y dont need much,, go for it../// lower impact on population/// yes usually if doe has 2 fawns only one make it over the winter..so shooting one out of two has not usually impact on population..:shock:
so we should encourage hunters for fawn shooting...:smile::idea:

.264winmag
10-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Love me some Fawndu ;)

I have the luxury of watching a lot of wt, everyday I'm home. The whole 'dry doe' term gets thrown around pretty loosely, pun intended HA. Fawns will chill with other does other than their own mother, until they want a nipple then they go back. Doe fawns generally stick a bit closer, but the yearling bucks like to disobey and bugger off all the time. I've a tough time believing in the heat of the hunt a person can be 100% sure the target is all 'dried up'.

Haven't poked a doe in 15 years, last one was on the island and all alone in shotgun area Milking like a regular old cow, had young somewhere... But if I was going after antlerless it'd be this years offspring and I'd be looking for furry buttons! I believe that's also LESS impact overall, considering that many of this years offspring won't make their first bday anyway. At least that's what I observe in my area.

.264winmag
10-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Also on a side note, we've an old doe on our property named 'Bitch Doe'. Rules the roost there. 12th litter this year still healthy as a horse. Twins every year. I'm no mathematician but...

walks with deer
10-13-2018, 10:03 AM
12th litter thats awesome..

love a bitch doe...lol.

probably beats every other deer up for the chunk of clover..

Jagermeister
10-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Each to their own but personally I find it more satisfying to pack my meat out in a backpack not my pockets

If a want a small quantity of quality meat I will grouse hunting lol
when you're an old dude, pocket deer is fine ...........and tasty...........and tender.

.264winmag
10-13-2018, 05:37 PM
12th litter thats awesome..

love a bitch doe...lol.

probably beats every other deer up for the chunk of clover..

Oh ya she decides who/when gets the good grub. She's pretty deadly with them front hooves, pretty sure she's a black belt in taektaildoe! Also runs the young bucks off other does during the rut, total buck blocker. She's got a thing for older transient bucks, suits me fine HA

BCHunterFSJ
10-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Where is this thread going?

Going back to rotisseries...
Here's the one I have used for doing an entire deer.

P.S. It's for sale (or just come and get it...)

https://i.postimg.cc/KYXTv1Pz/DSCN1531.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

walks with deer
10-24-2018, 10:10 PM
umm shot mine last night two inch spikes...perfect..
fit in the trunk of car..aye a strap for dinner tonight going to brine and smoke rears...umm

walks with deer
10-25-2018, 08:33 PM
going in smokermmmmm