PDA

View Full Version : Our hunter conservationist

horshur
10-09-2018, 09:15 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4845949

Steeleco
10-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Its the CBC, Communist bull $$$$ company. I'd post a photo of an epic hunt and be proud of it. You don't like it? Don't look!

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Its the CBC, Communist bull $$$$ company. I'd post a photo of an epic hunt and be proud of it. You don't like it? Don't look!

I understand where you are coming from, BUT, I do agree that "times have changed".
That just posting a pic of you and yor quarry lying dead beside you, doesn't present the "total picture" of the "entire hunt".
We both know there is much more to hunting then just the pic of success.
Even if you are successful, quite often what is not shown, or cant even be comprehended, is the leg work and physical challenge it takes to put meat on the plate, nor the endless hours of work after the kill to get it home etc.
We can be "dinosaurs", and say it is alright to just be the way we have been.
If it was okay, we wouldn't have the issues we have right now.
We have social media, example is even this forum.
We have to put a littlie more thought and attention into "posting our hunts".
Some are starting to get it, we just need everyone to get it.
As for CBC, ya, f' em!

Rackmastr
10-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Some great conversation pieces in the article that will surely have hunters thinking and discussing some of the challenges we face in today's world...

Steeleco
10-09-2018, 04:42 PM
I understand where you are coming from, BUT, I do agree that "times have changed".
That just posting a pic of you and yor quarry lying dead beside you, doesn't present the "total picture" of the "entire hunt".
We both know there is much more to hunting then just the pic of success.
Even if you are successful, quite often what is not shown, or cant even be comprehended, is the leg work and physical challenge it takes to put meat on the plate, nor the endless hours of work after the kill to get it home etc.
We can be "dinosaurs", and say it is alright to just be the way we have been.
If it was okay, we wouldn't have the issues we have right now.
We have social media, example is even this forum.
We have to put a littlie more thought and attention into "posting our hunts".
Some are starting to get it, we just need everyone to get it.
As for CBC, ya, f' em!

We agree on all points, but when do we give in to the masses. Most here know it's not just about squeezing the trigger and snapping a picture. We could explain to some and they would understand and may even develop an interest. Most it seems are so closed minded it wouldn't matter what you said or did.

I once gave a pound of bear to a buddy, he cooked it for a function. His sis in law commented on how good it was, but then puked when she found out what it was. Can't fix stupid!!!!!!!

skibum
10-09-2018, 04:50 PM

A picture of a dead animal represents only a tiny fraction of your hunt.

IF that picture of the dead animal, if done tasteless (blood, etc.. you know what I mean)... can lead the non-hunting community to think you are just in it for the blood and don't respect conservation. - Tell the whole story with pictures, not just glorifying the kill.

Images are very influential today. We can scream all we want about getting the non-hunting community familiar with hunting, but pushing pictures of dead animals is not going to do it.

Brez
10-09-2018, 06:50 PM
A picture of a dead animal represents only a tiny fraction of your hunt.

IF that picture of the dead animal, if done tasteless (blood, etc.. you know what I mean)... can lead the non-hunting community to think you are just in it for the blood and don't respect conservation. - Tell the whole story with pictures, not just glorifying the kill.

This last sentence could not have been said better. I wish I had come up with it.
Unfortunately that is the way it is now guys and gals. when we post we are posting to everyone and not just other hunters

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 07:10 PM
We agree on all points, but when do we give in to the masses. Most here know it's not just about squeezing the trigger and snapping a picture. We could explain to some and they would understand and may even develop an interest. Most it seems are so closed minded it wouldn't matter what you said or did.

I once gave a pound of bear to a buddy, he cooked it for a function. His sis in law commented on how good it was, but then puked when she found out what it was. Can't fix stupid!!!!!!!

Lets put it this way, you can argue with a Vegan, that's correct (cant fix stupid, where do they think their vegetable fertilizer comes from and comprises of!!)
But, there are plenty of Vegetarians, who although they don't eat meat, do respect people like us who do hunt, and the fact that we eat meat, so, not all is lost!
But, if we correct our image/images of hunting, we now retain those folks respect of what we are doing out there.
But, if we show a lack of respect, that exactly what we are going to get back in return.
This is the chance to persuade those who sit on the fence, to see us for who we are, and what it takes to do what we do.
Or, we can continually have new images to have presented to them of a bear spinning round and round after 10 shots.
One thing I know for sure, and so do you, is that many people are swayed into opinion by "emotion".
Harder to have someone stand beside you thru words and logic.
It's an uphill battle, but it can be done, or atleast done a lot better.

Rackmastr
10-09-2018, 07:41 PM
We agree on all points, but when do we give in to the masses

I'd say right about now would be a good time to start thinking about the masses in the decisions we make, because it's the masses who decide what we will be doing in the future. I dont think its giving in to the masses at all, its just understanding the impact we can have in negative and positive ways, and being open to those ideas

Throwaway
10-09-2018, 08:11 PM
If 51% of the province came to the conclusion via social media that they weren’t ok with hunting anymore that would be the end of hunting in the province by next election. Like it or not it’s a privilege. And outside of the quasi-armed rebellion crap some like to spout around here there’s not much we could do about it.

boxhitch
10-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Frag them!
I dont get all bent when the gays parade, or muslims were a turban on a motor bike or when christians start riots
Its my lifestyle, live and let live
Why is it so many think they have the right to tell others how they should live
Borkumm riff

Jordan f.
10-09-2018, 09:29 PM
I don't have social media anymore. But when I did....

I used to have multiple vegans and vegetarians like my hunting photos regularly. They were usually photos of the landscape, campfires, hardwork, nature. My descriptions where in detail. ALWAYS very clear that I was hunting animals. Rarely did I post dead animals. It's such a small part of the hunt and not what most want to see. Those photos are sent to hunting buddies that want to see it.

I understand not wanting to "give in". But it's on us to put our best foot forward and create the hunter image we want. For me, that's someone who loves and respects nature, and loves wild meat.

Sawickispeed
10-09-2018, 09:53 PM
I think the last comment here by Jordan represents an outlook that Makes perfect sensel. Things are strange in 2018, it’s inportant to put our best foot forward as Jordan said.

Steeleco
10-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Marc set out these guidelines close to the beginning of HBC, it's not something new and something us mods have tried to keep in check.

9. There is to be no listing of animals shot in the signature block. To me it’s just gloating, and un-sportsman like and just looks bad in general. I don’t believe in the numbers game.

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or entrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.

I don't see anything offensive about a guy/girl having his/her picture taken with the quarry. The hockey player is a good example. Those are proud moments. The pictures of the limbs I can see offending even the supporting crowd.

I just don't want hunters to start to go "underground" we all know in this day and age there are people with different views that at one time would have been imprisoned for doing what they are free to do today. And rightfully so. Why then is it that we hunters have to mind our manners and not upset non hunters?

FWIW, I respect the animals I pursue far more than most people!

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Marc set out these guidelines close to the beginning of HBC, it's not something new and something us mods have tried to keep in check.

I don't see anything offensive about a guy/girl having his/her picture taken with the quarry. The hockey player is a good example. Those are proud moments. The pictures of the limbs I can see offending even the supporting crowd.

I just don't want hunters to start to go "underground" we all know in this day and age there are people with different views that at one time would have been imprisoned for doing what they are free to do today. And rightfully so. Why then is it that we hunters have to mind our manners and not upset non hunters?

FWIW, I respect the animals I pursue far more than most people!

agreed, many of us respect the game we chase, then most people.
also agree, there should not be an issue with the hockey player/bear photo.
but, in the end, it was an issue, due to social media.
just hate seeing a good moment for someone spin into something else, thus my feelings we do need to consider it now.
I am glad to see some tv programs on hunting trying to do their best now, to represent what hunting is, which is a reflection of us.
Just cringe however when I see other programs on hunting that I even feel "insulted by":shock:.
(not how I want to be represented by, nor portrayed as how I am/act/behave when I hunt etc)
Unfortunately, we get grouped by many non hunters as "those seen on tv/social media.
So, the only way I can help myself out, is by representing myself in the best possible manner.

But, we are hunting, and with putting meat on the table, blood is a part of the deal, no way around it.

horshur
10-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Do you really think “virtue signaling” because that is what it is...will matter at all to a crazy person?
It is almost like you believe them..not comfortable with what you do..that “ they” are on to something. The life of a hunter of two minds.....
if you have to seek permission...guess who is your master.

horshur
10-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Be genuine. Can’t go wrong with honesty. Unfortunately crazy people can’t handle the truth.

Wild one
10-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Be genuine. Can’t go wrong with honesty. Unfortunately crazy people can’t handle the truth.

This^^^

the Truth of the matter is years ago hunters/trappers started becoming more secretive and trying not to offend the public in hopes that we would be left alone by anti’s and those offered by hunting guess what it failed

Want to see hunting thrive in the future do what we do with honour and pride. Respect the bush we use and the animals we take. Be vocal but conduct yourself in a professional manner

All for keeping pics respectful but for myself this is about respect for the animal not some anti. I support none kill pics showing all aspects of the hunt because they are part of the story

Want to preserve hunting for the future stop shooting signs, stop throwing beer cans or hanging them on branches all over the bush, clean your Sh!t up when packing up camp, don’t trespass, don’t shoot animals in unsafe locations or private land without permission, play by the rules don’t try to bend them, throw hides and heads off the road out of sight, fight for conservation not exploitation of wildlife, have respect for what we do, and don’t be an idiot

Stop pissing off the general public and they are less likely to listen to antis over hunters

Some days I go out hunting and I find the actions of those who call themselves hunters embarrassing now just imagine what the non hunting public thinks when they cross paths with idiots in camo

358mag
10-10-2018, 05:13 PM
This^^^

the Truth of the matter is years ago hunters/trappers started becoming more secretive and trying not to offend the public in hopes that we would be left alone by anti’s and those offered by hunting guess what it failed

Want to see hunting thrive in the future do what we do with honour and pride. Respect the bush we use and the animals we take. Be vocal but conduct yourself in a professional manner

All for keeping pics respectful but for myself this is about respect for the animal not some anti. I support none kill pics showing all aspects of the hunt because they are part of the story

Want to preserve hunting for the future stop shooting signs, stop throwing beer cans or hanging them on branches all over the bush, clean your Sh!t up when packing up camp, don’t trespass, don’t shoot animals in unsafe locations or private land without permission, play by the rules don’t try to bend them, throw hides and heads off the road out of sight, fight for conservation not exploitation of wildlife, have respect for what we do, and don’t be an idiot

Stop pissing off the general public and they are less likely to listen to antis over hunters

Some days I go out hunting and I find the actions of those who call themselves hunters embarrassing now just imagine what the non hunting public thinks when they cross paths with idiots in camo

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ is so true

Danny_29
10-10-2018, 07:01 PM
I agree with most that has been said in this thread. What I haven't seen though is people looking at this like an opportunity to share. Social media gives us a chance to show people what it is really like, the beautiful country, the amazing things you get to see when you sneak along, and places nobody is crazy enough to step. Some of the hunting stories and and pictures posted lately have been amazing. That is what we need to be sharing and lots of it. If people are flooded with the truth they will recognize an idiot in camo for what they are and not as a hunters they know.

dana
10-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Soooo, I'm confused. The whole reason for the article is that Jim Shockey's son in law posted a photo of a grizzly bear he harvested. And then goes on to say hunters need to post more than harvest shots blah blah blah. Ummm, has this dude ever followed any of the Shockey's on social media. Ummm, they post more about the 'rest of the hunt' than they ever do about the harvest photos. Sooo, what was it that the son in law did wrong? The photo is very respectable as is all the Shockey's photos. So where did he go wrong? Oh that's right, it was a grizzly bear. Can't show those kind of critters. So does the hunter conservationalist have a list of acceptable critters we can post up? Because from what I've seen on social media, bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, lions, zebras, giraffes, heck any African animal, moose, sheep, deer, and even fish all recieve attacks from the antis. I have had online death threats but just minor. Do you know Eva Shockey gets thousands of death threats each and every day? And they post tons and tons and tons of 'background' to their hunts. So what is it that the hunter conservationist and Shane Mahony, who was actually the inspiration for this article, what do they want hunters to do? Hide. Crawl under ground? Stop using social media and become social misfits? Seriously, i seen gobs and gobs and gobs of positives with hunters using social media. Just go on IG and educate the nonhunters who follow you. Post more hunting photos. Not less. Be A Voice! What hunters need to do is stop being slobs like shooting pet dogs. How many dead dogs were on Global last hunting season. 3??? Seriosly, WTF. Stop being assholes thinking you and only you own the bush. Stop and talk to nonhunters and be nice to them. Motocross and mountain bike riders are not the enemy. They are allies! Stop being dicks in the outdoors throwing your beer cans out the windows because you don't want to be accussed of the drinking and driving you were actually doing. Time to stand up and be counted as a real hunter and wear it proud. Post those pictures, have civil discussions and show the world who were are.

Bugle M In
10-26-2018, 09:16 PM
don't think it's about "not posting it", imo.
I think it means to post more of the entire hunt, not just the "kill pic".
If that's all we post up, then that's how it gets portrayed, by those who have never hunted or even considered it.
We all know all more goes into the hunt (about 99.9% more), then just the moment the trigger is pulled and the pic is taken.
Show everybody else, everything else that goes with hunting, the pursuit, the packing, the country, the friendship.
That's how it take it.....maybe I'm wrong?

dana
10-26-2018, 09:21 PM
don't think it's about "not posting it", imo.
I think it means to post more of the entire hunt, not just the "kill pic".
If that's all we post up, then that's how it gets portrayed, by those who have never hunted or even considered it.
We all know all more goes into the hunt (about 99.9% more), then just the moment the trigger is pulled and the pic is taken.
Show everybody else, everything else that goes with hunting, the pursuit, the packing, the country, the friendship.
That's how it take it.....maybe I'm wrong?

That's exactly what the Shockeys do. They post up all the stuff that go into the hunt. They are very good sbout it. But they get slammed because they post up a harvest photo of a grizzly. So what is it. Only photos of sunsets and no harvest photos period? You can't slam the Shockey's for doing exactly what you are telling everyone else to do.

Bugle M In
10-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Firstly, I don't think it's hunters that set out to "slam shockey" (or anyone else with posting those type of pics, hell, we do it often enough around here in the past).
The big difference I think is to "consider"/"take into consideration" that nowadays, things posted on the web are easily accessible, and used against hunters.
Lets face it, hunters at times have been their own worst enemy.
That Gbear video of it spinning around and around, with countless shots ringing thru the air, was taken, and then released to the public, by hunters.
(not a shockey moment you could say)
But, that is how hunting is portrayed to the "general non hunting public", and I don't mean the anti public, just the "on the fence public".

My wife knows I have a deep fascination/care for wildlife (and she is amazed how many different creatures like me more then most people), yet it still perplexes her how I can love these creatures, and at the same time hunt them (although she understands that we both eat meat).
It's hard for even her to understand the "odd scenario".
An Anti would just say we "do not actually care about living things", and that we are the ones confused.

So, if words are not found to describe "Why we hunt", we have the "power of photographs" to help convey "why we hunt".
Now, do you think if it try to make her understand why I have a passion for hunting thru my photos, do you think I will
just put down one photo after the next, each one just reflecting "what I have taken" as per MD or Elk etc.
Me and the beast laying before me?
Nope.
It will be the scenery, the hikes, the side by side amongst friends etc.

But that same power of photo's can be used against us as well.
Did anyone think Trump could really become President the day he announced he was going to run??
Look where "media", and the power of it" got him.
If we are not careful, guess where it could get us.
It's just a different time, then years ago, and we need to understand that/ consider it.

For me, on the net, where everyone has access to, I would rather see the rack on a pack, and meat on the other pack,
both in the same photo. (these days anyways)

Me and the beast, I will keep for myself and share with friends, in person or by email.
But that's my opinion.
But things like the Gbear video, well, look where that got us.

dana
10-27-2018, 06:10 AM
But the point of the article is that Shockey's son in law screwed up by posting a harvest photo. So basically, it doesn't matter that they posted 20 sunsets, 20 sunrises, 20 mountain images, 20 preping food images, 20 campfire images, 20 shooting bows and rifles images, 20 backpack images, all before and after that 1 harvest photo. They screwed up by posting that 1 respectful photo of a grizzly harvest So what is the author trying to tell us. Hide your harvest photos and don't let anyone ever see them. Just like what you are planning to do. And I say that is absolutely silly. We must not hide who we are. We must stand up and be proud of who we are. The Shockey's did nothing wrong and did everything right. The contraversy that came after the photo is from a bunch of wackos that are mentally off their rockers. Why are we told we must cater to those people. These are the same people who are equating hunters, farmers, ranchers and loggers as mass murderers and rapists that need to be killed for the betterment of the planet. Think about that!

Bugle M In
10-27-2018, 09:59 AM
I understand what you are saying.
You have no idea how frustrated I am as well at the current situation.
Being a hunter, and having the majority of others these days (so it seems, but that might be an over statement), pointing fingers at us, as the reason for the past/present/future extinction of creatures on the planet, and that all we are, is a bunch of murderers.
Yup, I get it.
I wish they would see it differently?????
They never will.
They will just take those images and hoist it to those on the fence folks, to generate an emotional based opinion.
(Just like the comments from that Gbear killing that Bbear cub video, because their "hearts bleed" when they see those sort of images).

I made the comments that I don't like some of the hunting programs on WildTV, and I will stand by that, as I really puke when I see how they act, and can only imagine what the non hunting public would think if they saw those shows.
Then, there was that episode from hunting in the rough with that bc elk hunt up north.
THAT, made me proud to see, to represent me, to represent hunting.

Some are just going to have to have to deal with the new order of things, or get bashed by the media.
Sad, but true.

But I agree, its sad when I do see legit hunters, doing it right, and yet, still getting bashed by the anti's and media.

Wild one
10-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Look at the history of any group that successfully limited public persecution that impacted them and look how it was accomplished

Not one accomplished results by bending to the public’s views and changing who they were. They all stood strong on who they were and put it out in front of the public with pride. They went out of their way to be in the public’s eye and tackled myths head on.

Plain and simple as hunters we will always have those against what we do no matter what live with it. If you choose to hide, give up things that make us who we are, and stay silent all you are doing is becoming a weak easy target that can be attack with no repercussions. You are basically rolling over a playing dead making hunters an easy target

You want hunting to last forever stand your ground don’t play dead

Rackmastr
10-27-2018, 11:23 AM
But the point of the article is that Shockey's son in law screwed up by posting a harvest photo. So basically, it doesn't matter that they posted 20 sunsets, 20 sunrises, 20 mountain images, 20 preping food images, 20 campfire images, 20 shooting bows and rifles images, 20 backpack images, all before and after that 1 harvest photo. They screwed up by posting that 1 respectful photo of a grizzly harvest So what is the author trying to tell us. Hide your harvest photos and don't let anyone ever see them. Just like what you are planning to do. And I say that is absolutely silly. We must not hide who we are. We must stand up and be proud of who we are. The Shockey's did nothing wrong and did everything right. The contraversy that came after the photo is from a bunch of wackos that are mentally off their rockers. Why are we told we must cater to those people. These are the same people who are equating hunters, farmers, ranchers and loggers as mass murderers and rapists that need to be killed for the betterment of the planet. Think about that!

I think the important thing to remember is no one is being 'told' to do anything. Everyone has their own opinion on how we should represent ourselves, what we should do with public perception, etc and everyone has a different way of expressing that opinion. Creating the conversation is likely the most important part, and among our different groups we'll have disagreement. Some great conversations about 'grip and grin' photos from Ben O'Brien and various other podcasts out there, and I've listened to Rinella speak about a few things as well as the Shockeys, etc. Having the conversation is better than burying our heads in the dirt though, and anyone can see that we face multiple issues about what we've been doing and what we can be doing to ensure our long term enjoyment. We are losing ground at a ridiculous rate and likely wont be stopping regardless of what we do (my opinion)

IronNoggin
10-27-2018, 11:58 AM
... So what is it that the hunter conservationist and Shane Mahony, who was actually the inspiration for this article, what do they want hunters to do? Hide. Crawl under ground? Stop using social media and become social misfits? ...

If that is what you read into Shane Mahoney's efforts and stance, you really missed the boat.
He is rather proactive and supportive of hunting as you may grasp, and well understands the employ of social media.
Why don't you ask him your question directly on his Facebook page?

As for myself, I ain't about to run & hide, nor stop sharing my love of the land, the wildlife, and being there.
Methinks the Kechika report I tendered here is a half decent example of the way I roll... And will continue to.

Cheers,
Nog

Bugle M In
10-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Here is something to take from this thread.
Not all threads are black and white.
Some threads are about "being right", "what is legal".
Then there are threads like this, that are "for discussion", and not about "winning it".
I know the next time I have taken something, and take pics, you can bet on it, that I will consider everyone comments
on he subject, due to this thread.
Hopefully others will do the same as well because of the thread.
Even if you do the same thing as before, that's fine, but as long as the conversations and thoughts rattle around in the brain.
That the point of some threads, "to think about it".

One thing I do know, it's Saturday Oct 27th, and all of us posting today on this thread should be out hunting!
Thats the sad part!

dana
10-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Shane Mahoney and the B&C have baffled me with some of their latest videos. Long distance shooting and social media. The B&C of all orgs who base their whole existance on 'Trophies' should not be telling Joe Blow hunter what is best when it comes to social media. They embody the hated rich hunter shooting only for ego. And when it comes to images picked up by News Orgs to slam hunters, is it the regular Joes that get the attention or is it those who are famous in the hunting world. Maybe the image problem needs to start at the top and orgs like B&C need to rebrand themselves. You know they could do joint ventures with other great orgs like Greenpeace and the Humane Society. ;)

dana
10-27-2018, 12:46 PM
One thing I do know, it's Saturday Oct 27th, and all of us posting today on this thread should be out hunting!
Thats the sad part!

i hunted the entire morning from first light till noon. Took the rifle out for a very nice hike. No animals seen, but that is completely normal for this time of year.

IronNoggin
10-27-2018, 12:58 PM
Thats the sad part!

Was out yesterday. Passed up a couple.

Not today and not tomorrow either.
Don't like to hunt the weekends. Too many others out there for my "comfort level". https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wink.gif
Back at it Monday...

And Dana, you are still misinterpreting Shane's message.
Known him personally a very long time, and well understand you are missing the mark with him.
Really.

Cheers,
Nog

rocksteady
10-27-2018, 01:10 PM
I hunt
Am proud of it
Will not hide it
Will share as i see fit (social media)
End of story..

rocksteady
10-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Its hunting season so pics are a flying over the interweb...as a result, the anti hunting crowd is all over it..

By the middle of december it will pass

Then return when bear season opens..

Facts of life in the era of social media

dana
10-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Was out yesterday. Passed up a couple.

Not today and not tomorrow either.
Don't like to hunt the weekends. Too many others out there for my "comfort level". https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wink.gif
Back at it Monday...

And Dana, you are still misinterpreting Shane's message.
Known him personally a very long time, and well understand you are missing the mark with him.
Really.

Cheers,
Nog

All other stuff I've seen by him I have been 100% behind. The video lecture about Social Media and Long Distance shooting that appeared this last week as sponsered adds to raise funds for the B&C in my FB feed had me scratching my head. And judging from the commenting, the majority of other hunters were in the same boat as me. Have you seen those videos? I was already at the WTF with the hunter conservationist CBC article. Using the Shockeys as the example of what not to do had my head spinning as well. Funny, would never say several years ago that the ORG more in line with my way of thinking is SCI. Years ago when Jim Shockey would promote it on his show I wanted to gag. Now, i want to stand and applaud. Funny how time changes one's thinking. Right now the B&C has me more than puzzled.

Jordan f.
10-27-2018, 01:20 PM
The Keg Steak House doesn't advertise slaughterhouses.

Jewelry companies don't advertise the blood that is shed for their diamonds...

The general public is an "out of sight, out of mind" system. Hunters jam dead animal photos down the general publics throats... as a result, it is no longer "out of sight, out of mind".

Do it, don't do it. I can't tell you how to live your life. But I don't think anyone can argue the negative effect it is having.

IronNoggin
10-27-2018, 01:28 PM
... The video lecture about Social Media and Long Distance shooting that appeared this last week as sponsered adds to raise funds for the B&C in my FB feed had me scratching my head. And judging from the commenting, the majority of other hunters were in the same boat as me. Have you seen those videos?

No, actually this is the first I have heard of them. If you could share a link it would be most appreciated!
Shane has been pretty steadfast in his message for decades. Can't really see him changing his spots at this stage.
But I would indeed like to see the videos you mention...

Using the Shockeys as the example of what not to do had my head spinning as well...

Known Jim since Saskatchewan days, and that's going back a hell of a long ways for me.
I have always thought the way he and Rinella (who I hope to meet some day) had the right approach.
I can see what you're saying making my head spin as well.

Cheers,
Nog

dana
10-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Jordan, So how is posting a hunting photo on IG jamming it down anyone's throat? People choose to follow and can choose to unfollow if they are not interested in the feed. Why would the non-hunting world choose to follow the Shockey's. They openingly admit to be avid hunters. No one goes on their page without going there on purpose. According to IG, I have a fairly large following. I post a lot of wildlife and nature photography. But my page clearly states I have a passion for hunting. The vast majority of people who follow me are hunters. But I have quite a few outdoor enthusists from mountaneers to backcountry skiiers to mountainbikers to sledders to backcountry hikers to other outdoor photographers follow me. They all see my hunting pics and have the choice to unfollow me whenever they want. It always surprises me how many of those with nonhunting profiles like my hunting photos. No one is forcing anything on anybody. When I get attacked by antis, they are not on my follower list. They seek out hunters to attack them. Anti hunters are online bullies and go after the woman hunters the hardest. This is why Eva Shockey has thousands of death threats every day. But when it comes to general nonhunters, i have had tons of respectful dialogue and many leave educated because they didn't really #knowwhereyourfoodcomesfrom. This is the positives that social media has to bring awareness to the general public about what exactly it is that we do. Hiding is not an option. Sharing open and honestly is the best approach IMO.

IronNoggin
10-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Latest from Shockey:

This will be a long one.

I for one, am sick and tired of being pushed around and bullied by people who don’t understand my way of life. I’ve had it with people who want me to think like them, act like them, dress like them and even eat like them! I am sick and tired of intolerant and arrogant people who want to save animals lives but then threaten the lives of young ladies who hunt, threaten to kill the children of hunters. I’m sick and tired of politicians who sway with the wind and stand for nothing but their own re-election. I’m tired of pretending that I’m ok with being marginalized for being a hunter, vilified for owning firearms and publicly ridiculed because I love my country and believe there is a God.....so I wrote a song.

It’s a rallying cry.

United, and with determination, IF we vote in ALL the coming elections, there are enough of us to literally change the course of this world!!

If you want to be free...Howl With Me!!!

https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/videos/283594408930119/

dana
10-27-2018, 02:01 PM
latest from shockey:

this will be a long one.

i for one, am sick and tired of being pushed around and bullied by people who don’t understand my way of life. I’ve had it with people who want me to think like them, act like them, dress like them and even eat like them! I am sick and tired of intolerant and arrogant people who want to save animals lives but then threaten the lives of young ladies who hunt, threaten to kill the children of hunters. I’m sick and tired of politicians who sway with the wind and stand for nothing but their own re-election. I’m tired of pretending that i’m ok with being marginalized for being a hunter, vilified for owning firearms and publicly ridiculed because i love my country and believe there is a god.....so i wrote a song.

it’s a rallying cry.

united, and with determination, if we vote in all the coming elections, there are enough of us to literally change the course of this world!!

if you want to be free...howl with me!!!

https://www.facebook.com/jimshockeyfanpage/videos/283594408930119/

that is freakin awesome!!!

Rackmastr
10-27-2018, 02:09 PM
Great videos and thoughts from Shane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YduX9UA3mOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOJe-7fyEs

Jordan f.
10-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Jordan, So how is posting a hunting photo on IG jamming it down anyone's throat? People choose to follow and can choose to unfollow if they are not interested in the feed. Why would the non-hunting world choose to follow the Shockey's. They openingly admit to be avid hunters. No one goes on their page without going there on purpose. According to IG, I have a fairly large following. I post a lot of wildlife and nature photography. But my page clearly states I have a passion for hunting. The vast majority of people who follow me are hunters. But I have quite a few outdoor enthusists from mountaneers to backcountry skiiers to mountainbikers to sledders to backcountry hikers to other outdoor photographers follow me. They all see my hunting pics and have the choice to unfollow me whenever they want. It always surprises me how many of those with nonhunting profiles like my hunting photos. No one is forcing anything on anybody. When I get attacked by antis, they are not on my follower list. They seek out hunters to attack them. Anti hunters are online bullies and go after the woman hunters the hardest. This is why Eva Shockey has thousands of death threats every day. But when it comes to general nonhunters, i have had tons of respectful dialogue and many leave educated because they didn't really #knowwhereyourfoodcomesfrom. This is the positives that social media has to bring awareness to the general public about what exactly it is that we do. Hiding is not an option. Sharing open and honestly is the best approach IMO.

For every instagram page like yours, there is a 1000 that are nothing but dead animal after dead animal. It's everywhere. Even before I got into hunting and wasn't looking for it, it was everywhere. Facebook is a zoo.

Most people love hunting. Most of the general public is at the very least. Ok with hunting.

But why post dead animals? Why are hunters like 13year old girls once they shoot an animal? You can be a proud hunter and educate people without posting photos to every social media platform possible. I just don't get it.

When the pro's and con's are weighed out.. is it worth it?

Isn't having the antlers on your wall, posting photos here, and sending photos to your buddies enough? Does my facebook profile picture really need to be a dead bear, so my aunt in a different province has to see that everytime I post something?

I am VERY far from hiding the fact that I hunt. My truck has stickers, my hat is camo, and I have conversations with anyone who is interested... why do I need to post a photo and get a bunch of "likes". It's weird to me that grown adults even care what they can have as a facebook profile picture.

Rackmastr
10-27-2018, 02:36 PM
For every instagram page like yours, there is a 1000 that are nothing but dead animal after dead animal. It's everywhere. Even before I got into hunting and wasn't looking for it, it was everywhere. Facebook is a zoo.

Most people love hunting. Most of the general public is at the very least. Ok with hunting.

But why post dead animals? Why are hunters like 13year old girls once they shoot an animal? You can be a proud hunter and educate people without posting photos to every social media platform possible. I just don't get it.

When the pro's and con's are weighed out.. is it worth it?

Isn't having the antlers on your wall, posting photos here, and sending photos to your buddies enough? Does my facebook profile picture really need to be a dead bear, so my aunt in a different province has to see that everytime I post something?

I am VERY far from hiding the fact that I hunt. My truck has stickers, my hat is camo, and I have conversations with anyone who is interested... why do I need to post a photo and get a bunch of "likes". It's weird to me that grown adults even care what they can have as a facebook profile picture.

Pretty good statement even about social media use in general and the 'need' that some people feel in posting....its an interesting beast what 'social' media has become....

LBM
10-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Latest from Shockey:

This will be a long one.

I for one, am sick and tired of being pushed around and bullied by people who don’t understand my way of life. I’ve had it with people who want me to think like them, act like them, dress like them and even eat like them! I am sick and tired of intolerant and arrogant people who want to save animals lives but then threaten the lives of young ladies who hunt, threaten to kill the children of hunters. I’m sick and tired of politicians who sway with the wind and stand for nothing but their own re-election. I’m tired of pretending that I’m ok with being marginalized for being a hunter, vilified for owning firearms and publicly ridiculed because I love my country and believe there is a God.....so I wrote a song.

It’s a rallying cry.

United, and with determination, IF we vote in ALL the coming elections, there are enough of us to literally change the course of this world!!

If you want to be free...Howl With Me!!!

https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/videos/283594408930119/

Yes very good , and the statement is quit true.

dana
10-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Jordan,
Why? Because most hunters have a ton of other hunters on their friends list. I for one have very very few people on my facebook that don't like hunting. Actually, zero would probably be the real answer. And just like sharing the campfire with family and friends has that hunter bond, so does the modern campfire of social media. my family and friends actually care about my success and I care about theirs. No different that posting vacation photos so your aunt or grandma can enjoy seeing the adventures you had. i met guys on sites like Monster Muleys close to 20 years ago. I am now keep in contact with them on FB and actually are interested in their personal lives just as much as the hunting lives. They have seen my kids grow up over the years and I now get to see their kids grow up. That is what hunting and social media can do. Just like IG, you can easily unfollow someone if you are tired of seeing what they post. No one is forced to see hunting photos. And with the way the programs work, you only see what you like anyways. I like a ton of hunting stuff, I don't have to see the cousin that sells amway on FB. Pretty easy.

Jordan f.
10-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Jordan,
Why? Because most hunters have a ton of other hunters on their friends list. I for one have very very few people on my facebook that don't like hunting. Actually, zero would probably be the real answer. And just like sharing the campfire with family and friends has that hunter bond, so does the modern campfire of social media. my family and friends actually care about my success and I care about theirs. No different that posting vacation photos so your aunt or grandma can enjoy seeing the adventures you had. i met guys on sites like Monster Muleys close to 20 years ago. I am now keep in contact with them on FB and actually are interested in their personal lives just as much as the hunting lives. They have seen my kids grow up over the years and I now get to see their kids grow up. That is what hunting and social media can do. Just like IG, you can easily unfollow someone if you are tired of seeing what they post. No one is forced to see hunting photos. And with the way the programs work, you only see what you like anyways. I like a ton of hunting stuff, I don't have to see the cousin that sells amway on FB. Pretty easy.

Hunters having been sharing success for a long time before social media. In fact, I'd argue it means more when someone takes the time to actually think of and share with you personally.

Is it easier then the alternatives? Yes. But easier doesn't always mean better.

Jordan f.
10-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Dana and Rackmastr both bring up important things. Community and education... but I'm off for an evening bird hunt with my girlfriend and puppy. I'll try to put my thoughts together later tonight!

dana
10-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Hunters having been sharing success for a long time before social media. In fact, I'd argue it means more when someone takes the time to actually think of and share with you personally.

Is it easier then the alternatives? Yes. But easier doesn't always mean better.

I don't think hunters from around the globe were comunicating with each other like today. The world is actually much smaller now. Friends and family used to live close by. For most now, this isn't the case. Social Media brings those friends back to the campfire. while you can debate they way things used to be done compared to the way things are now, as to which one is best, the fact is things will never again be like they used to be. Condemning new ways of doing things is just like the 1950's radio preacher railing against the evils of television. Now the tv preacher is railing against the evils of the internet.

Jordan f.
10-27-2018, 03:27 PM
I don't think hunters from around the globe were comunicating with each other like today. The world is actually much smaller now. Friends and family used to live close by. For most now, this isn't the case. Social Media brings those friends back to the campfire. while you can debate they way things used to be done compared to the way things are now, as to which one is best, the fact is things will never again be like they used to be. Condemning new ways of doing things is just like the 1950's radio preacher railing against the evils of television. Now the tv preacher is railing against the evils of the internet.

Ok, I'm at her work 5mins early. So not completely leaving the forum haha.

Your point rings true %100. But what's wrong with using forums like HBC? Or facebook groups that are private (like Alberta Hunting Addicts). I'm not advocating all photos and sharing be over. But choose the platforms for which you do it.

Edit: antis will always search it out. F^*$ them, they have made up their mind. It's the general public I simply want to respect. Some may see that as hiding. I see it as playing fair in the sandbox

dana
10-27-2018, 04:23 PM
Ok, I'm at her work 5mins early. So not completely leaving the forum haha.

Your point rings true %100. But what's wrong with using forums like HBC? Or facebook groups that are private (like Alberta Hunting Addicts). I'm not advocating all photos and sharing be over. But choose the platforms for which you do it.

Edit: antis will always search it out. F^*$ them, they have made up their mind. It's the general public I simply want to respect. Some may see that as hiding. I see it as playing fair in the sandbox

why not here? As far as I can tell the concept of hunting forums is dead. Too many faceless keyboard warriors hiding behind screen names attacking hunter after hunter. Animal is too big, animal is too small. I only shoot what I eat blah blah blah. Hunters played this game during the 2000s but got sick and tired of the constant attacks by fellow hunters, so 1 by 1 they left sites like this one. That and you can only argue about chute planes, governor tags, trail cams and ruber tape measures so many times. ;) Lack of policing on hunting sites meant hunters sought out places where the individual can police things. IG and FB it is a simple remove and block to get rid of idiot comments. Now I have read some interesting stuff that actually claims the Anti groups purposefully sought out hunting forums and got screen names and were purposefully posting to create chaos and disension. They claim hundreds of sites were under Anti attacks in this manner. After seeing some of the Truth behind Raincoast that it had members posting here on HBC maybe this is a valid reason why hunting forums have pretty much died.

HarryToolips
10-27-2018, 11:08 PM
I personally agree with those that say to be proud of your harvest, so post them up, but I'm proud of the process it takes to harvest the animal, so I agree that it's usually better to post the whole story, the hike, the scenery, the packout, the meat after its processed etc, this will also educate the non hunting public of the whole process..

Redthies
10-28-2018, 04:29 AM
We should start posting pictures of slaughter houses and commercial meat operations. That would be a good counter-point.

I drive I-5 from L.A. to BC regularly, and there is a finishing lot along the side of the freeway that runs for more than a mile. There are tens of thousands of cattle rammed into tiny pens ankle deep in shit. Not exactly an ad for an easy life. There are way more meat eaters than vegan/vegis, so if they start to figure out how nasty regular non-freerange organic beef is, we might have a shot at redemption.

Jack Russell
10-28-2018, 05:46 AM
I hope EVERYBODY read this article and takes something positive away from it before they post pics on social media. There's nothing wrong with the slant on it, or the perspective of the article or that it is from the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. There is a point in it that is worth reflecting on.

dana
10-28-2018, 02:52 PM
I hope EVERYBODY read this article and takes something positive away from it before they post pics on social media. There's nothing wrong with the slant on it, or the perspective of the article or that it is from the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. There is a point in it that is worth reflecting on.

I think Bugle M In hit the nail on the head when he said the important thing to take from this article is that we are having a conversation about it. I would say, that is why there is this thread.

I see that Greg Mchale of Wild Yukon, whose photos were used in this article, posted in full support on Jim Shockey's facebook page. Greg and I follow each other on IG and have messaged back and forth. I really like what he is doing. He does a great job capturing the Hunt not just the Kill. Lots of guys on IG and Facebook doing just that. Be it Donnie Vincent or The Mountain Project, from Cameron Hanes to Kristy Titus, from Sitka to Kuiu. They are all doing what the writer of this article suggests. And one can say, the Shockey's lead the way.

On a side note, I see the B&C posted up another Shane Mahoney video saying how hunters should not be divided. Strange posting after the Long Range Hunting video where Shane divides hunters by.saying long range hunting is not hunting. I'm sure B&C received some backlash from that one. They have tried to virtue signal that the are better because of Fair Chase but that hasn't turned out to garner more support from the public. Esoecially in the day and age of Governor Tags and 365 day a year seasons for the rich dude that buys them. These tags are totally accepted into the B&C and many times one can argue the lack of fair chase that goes into some of these so-called hunts. The Oregon buck from this year is a prime example. A city pet deer with gobs of video of kids feeding it out of their hands or guys brushing it with a dog brush. But it was a monster and some rich guy just shot it. Everything is legal. They had permission to be on the private land where it was killed. But....the question, is that fair chase?

Rackmastr
10-28-2018, 03:40 PM
On a side note, I see the B&C posted up another Shane Mahoney video saying how hunters should not be divided. Strange posting after the Long Range Hunting video where Shane divides hunters by.saying long range hunting is not hunting. I'm sure B&C received some backlash from that one. They have tried to virtue signal that the are better because of Fair Chase but that hasn't turned out to garner more support from the public. Esoecially in the day and age of Governor Tags and 365 day a year seasons for the rich dude that buys them. These tags are totally accepted into the B&C and many times one can argue the lack of fair chase that goes into some of these so-called hunts. The Oregon buck from this year is a prime example. A city pet deer with gobs of video of kids feeding it out of their hands or guys brushing it with a dog brush. But it was a monster and some rich guy just shot it. Everything is legal. They had permission to be on the private land where it was killed. But....the question, is that fair chase?

I applaud them for stepping up and at least creating the conversation a bit more as an organization. Sure, they would have received backlash, but I'm sure they expect it and likely its an expected outcome. I think its a bit refreshing to see an organization at least put out their opinion on something. Every group these days is so scared of any conflict that they tippy-toe around controversial topics in an attempt to 'save face' while not just taking a stance on something. Sure, its hunters choices to be a part of those groups and support or not support them in the end. I like the discussion, and personally have done the 'long range' thing in the past and have some mixed thoughts on it now. Like anything 'ethic' related its going to stir up some interesting conversation. No different than some hunters stances on inches, governor tags, etc.

In the end, they are creating conversation, and more than not putting out some pretty important messaging, so for that I'll stand with them personally.

Wild one
10-28-2018, 04:41 PM
There is one thing I do agree on with this thread hunters need to improve our image but I don’t see this having anything to do with pics

My opinion is that our public image will only be improved by engaging the public more on a positive level. Put more effort into getting the non hunting public involved in conservation projects with hunters/hunting organizations. Show more coverage with media or social media on conservation projects that is geared to be seen by the non hunting public not just hunters. This can help show hunters involvement in conservation rather then just saying it

engage the public beyond just trying to defend ourselves against antis, a loss of opportunity or a conflict.

The biggest one conduct yourself in a manner that does not make hunters look like idiots out in the bush around the public. Basically don’t be an entitled idiot slob

LBM
10-28-2018, 07:41 PM
There is one thing I do agree on with this thread hunters need to improve our image but I don’t see this having anything to do with pics

My opinion is that our public image will only be improved by engaging the public more on a positive level. Put more effort into getting the non hunting public involved in conservation projects with hunters/hunting organizations. Show more coverage with media or social media on conservation projects that is geared to be seen by the non hunting public not just hunters. This can help show hunters involvement in conservation rather then just saying it

engage the public beyond just trying to defend ourselves against antis, a loss of opportunity or a conflict.

The biggest one conduct yourself in a manner that does not make hunters look like idiots out in the bush around the public. Basically don’t be an entitled idiot slob

So in your opinion what are some of things that make hunters look like idiots or slobs as you say in the bush and around the public.

One of the local rod and gun clubs here has a big game dinner and quit a few of the people that attend are non-hunters, they use to do various other projects
such as building and installing goose nests were non -hunters would help, and clean up of areas etc.

dana
10-28-2018, 08:48 PM
This^^^

LBM, he already said earlier in the thread. Here it is again in case you missed it.

LBM
10-28-2018, 09:05 PM
LBM, he already said earlier in the thread. Here it is again in case you missed it.

Thanks Dana, good list.

dana
10-28-2018, 09:05 PM
I'll add a few more to the list for ya LBM

Deer, bears, ducks, geese running around city limits with arrows sticking out of them.

Dogs being shot by hunters

The ditchline of every FSR filled with beer cans. (My son used to make upwards of 20 bucks some weekends as we grouse hunted and can hunted. Well over 90% of cans in the ditches of FSRs are beer cans

Road hunters driving slow down FSRs and not letting the general public or even those who work in the bush pass.

Driving quads up Active haul roads on the wrong side of the road as they slowly look for game. You want to hear some serious slamming on the radio from the truckers. Yup, hear it multiple times every year.

Blocking Rds with vehicles because the hunter wants the area all to himself.

Shooting in and around houses. The general public does not care that a coyote was mousing in a private field. Shots around your home makes you pissed off.

Wild one
10-28-2018, 09:16 PM
2 comments I have heard well being shown pics of nice deer by strangers that have caused me to loose my Sh!t on people

“glad it was a full moon so I had just enough light to shoot”

” It was getting a little dark so I had to kneel in front of the truck for the shot”

If you were given a black eye from saying one of these two comments we may have met

LBM
10-28-2018, 09:17 PM
I'll add a few more to the list for ya LBM

Deer, bears, ducks, geese running around city limits with arrows sticking out of them.

Dogs being shot by hunters

The ditchline of every FSR filled with beer cans. (My son used to make upwards of 20 bucks some weekends as we grouse hunted and can hunted. Well over 90% of cans in the ditches of FSRs are beer cans

Road hunters driving slow down FSRs and not letting the general public or even those who work in the bush pass.

Driving quads up Active haul roads on the wrong side of the road as they slowly look for game. You want to hear some serious slamming on the radio from the truckers. Yup, hear it multiple times every year.

Blocking Rds with vehicles because the hunter wants the area all to himself.

Shooting in and around houses. The general public does not care that a coyote was mousing in a private field. Shots around your home makes you pissed off.

Oh yes the list could go on and on, my parents and there friends use to camp at various fish lakes in the area and would do there daily walks and do as your son did
they would fill garbage bags of cans up every day. The vehicle stuff you mention is all to familiar as well up here.