PDA

View Full Version : Tire chains recommendation!?

RyoTHC
10-09-2018, 12:51 AM
With winter quickly approaching here, and hunting season in full swing.. I'm starting to think about thinks that I need to have in my truck at all times... One thing I don't have that I will be getting this week is a full set of chains for it. I run duratracs. Any recommendations on a good set of chains and where to pick them up!?

Cheers.

campking
10-09-2018, 04:38 AM
I get mine at Midway Tire, Tirecraft on 72nd Ave. in Surrey and I use heavy V chains not the wire cable type.

quarterman
10-09-2018, 05:56 AM
Like campking said get heavy duty v bar chains, don’t waste your money on the cable style chains, kal tire also sells them.

digger dogger
10-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Wesco, in Langely 9600 block, of 199a st.
Lots of different styles to choose from.

Steve W
10-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Bought several sets at Loewen Forestry Eguipment off Dalhousie in Kamloops. Always went with v-bar, but I think they sell Tryggs too.

Frank grimes
10-09-2018, 06:43 AM
Trygg is one of the best chain manufactures. And like others have said, avoid cable chains, completely useless for a pick up.

Carrollizer
10-09-2018, 08:32 AM
I have some v-bar chains I ran on my 245/75 R16 Duratracs. I don't need them anymore since I now have 285's.
I could sell you them for $200 for 4 of them if they fit (retail for like $250 for 2)

trowt
10-09-2018, 08:38 AM
canadianchains.ca

i too run the vbars or ubars on my duratracs and they are awesome.

barongan
10-09-2018, 09:31 AM
agree with quartermanhttp://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

RyoTHC
10-09-2018, 10:09 AM
I have some v-bar chains I ran on my 245/75 R16 Duratracs. I don't need them anymore since I now have 285's.
I could sell you them for $200 for 4 of them if they fit (retail for like $250 for 2)

I really appreciate the offer. I'm running 265/75/R18 on my Colorado though.

Cheers.

Thanks for the imput everyone. Chains are one thing I won't skimp on.
Just got a jackall and 100ft of tow strap as well.

albravo2
10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Good advice above. I'd add that you should take the time to get used to putting them on before you're pulled over in freezing mud and snow. Mark attachment points when the chains are properly installed, that will save a bunch of screwing around.

Lots of people buy them but don't use them because they suffer through putting them on.

Lugg
10-09-2018, 11:03 AM
I just used my Titan V-Bar chains for the first time and they are awesome. Was stuck in some super slick mud, winch point was too far away. I put on my chains and pulled out of there like a tank. Just paid for themselves.

Here's what they look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyZKRFZwmM

Agreed about learning to put them on before you need to. Also practice putting them on when you can't pull forward.

gmachine19
10-09-2018, 11:19 AM
I just bought vbar chains for my truck. Do you need to cut off the excess chains or would fastening with zap straps do the trick?

Laurp99
10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
https://www.canadianchains.ca/

VBar chains as mentioned numerous times.

Carrollizer
10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
I really appreciate the offer. I'm running 265/75/R18 on my Colorado though.

Cheers.

Thanks for the imput everyone. Chains are one thing I won't skimp on.
Just got a jackall and 100ft of tow strap as well.
I’ll double check the sizing. They were a bit big for my tires. I’ll PM you if they work

Laurp99
10-09-2018, 11:43 AM
I just bought vbar chains for my truck. Do you need to cut off the excess chains or would fastening with zap straps do the trick?

I just used a Carbiner to attach the extra length of chain so that it doesn't flop around, worked great so far.

tyreguy
10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Don't cut it off because you're going to need that piece one day!!! Unless it is several links that may catch on the inside (Brakes or suspension parts) as you don't want that.
Bungee strap 2 or 3 criss cross will keep them snug.

Carrollizer
10-09-2018, 12:48 PM
I use tie wire for the excess, so far so good

BRvalley
10-09-2018, 01:08 PM
zap straps won't last very long for the extra chain on the inside...my chains fit big and 3 or 4 extra links, I use tie wire, cheap and works well, easy to adjust if needed

BRvalley
10-09-2018, 01:09 PM
and I also ordered from Canadian chains, surprisingly fast shipping

barry1974w
10-09-2018, 07:33 PM
I think there’s still a good set on the govt auction site I think. I’ve gotten mine from western equipment in Prince George. As the others have said, buy good ones, stay away from the cable stuff.

tipper
10-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Just use some quick links to secure the extra links or to extend them. Some trucks you can't run chains on the front so be careful.

elch jager
10-09-2018, 09:59 PM
With a half ton pick up, do most guys just put them on the rear? Or all 4 corners?

Gamebuster
10-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Morfco in kamloops sell good chains

sed8ed
10-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Second vote for Morfco, they make them onsite for your vehicle and can adjust as needed.

Plus they were cheaper than lordco

BRvalley
10-10-2018, 12:09 PM
With a half ton pick up, do most guys just put them on the rear? Or all 4 corners?

typically yes, but different situations all depends on clearance...with 6" lift and 35's i'm tight on room at full lock with chains on, on my old truck lots of clearance....there have been occasions where I put both chains on driver or passenger side tires, so just be mindful of your clearance in those situations

barry1974w
10-10-2018, 09:51 PM
I’ve only ever ran one set on the back, but others run them on all four corners. But as BRValley said, depends on the situation

Busterpayton54
10-10-2018, 09:58 PM
I very rarely chain up the rear only. I actually don't know if I ever have with a 4wd.
Im usually chained up front or all 4.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
I run a set of cut down 11r22.5 v-bar 7 mm truck chains. No way I'm breaking those with my 1/2 tonne. I just use them on the back. With studded Duratraks and those chains, I am not worried at all about the roads. A little common sense is more useful than chains, though;)

elch jager
10-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Wesco - $152 after tax... VC330 (V-bar with Cams) - talk to Albert... bought one set for now...

Their advice is consistent with most above - most common configuration is 2 in back for general traction on snow and ice. Front if you are stuck with a 4x4 and it is obvious your front end is the problem...
both chains on one side or the other front and back if you are driving slippery switch backs and you want both steering and traction (all 4 corners would be the best option though). Cautioned about using all 4 corners while in 4x4 - short duration only as the drive ratio front to rear is not perfect and can cause driveline stress if you long haul and the surface is not forgiving.

brn2ryd
10-11-2018, 10:57 AM
I bought a set of 4 heavy duty V-bar chains for my F150 with Duratracks on stock wheels. When test fitting I had some rubbing on the shocks covers in the rear and Control arms on the front. I would use them for getting though a tough spot but wouldn't feel great about putting many miles on them. With wheel spacers or a different offset I wouldn't have an issue. I wouldn't waste my money on the lighter duty chains. Just make sure you take the time to test drive/fit before you really need them.

bigstew
10-11-2018, 12:17 PM
I have a newer F-150 and I run v bars on the rear and cables on the front. The front doesn't have space for vbars against suspension. I got everywhere I needed to go.

Busterpayton54
10-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Nothing wrong with running wheel spacers. The effect on wheel bearing life is no different than running a wheel with an equally adjusted back spacing. Spacers get a bad rap due to operator error.

You can't just toss them on and forget about them like 99% of us do when we mount a wheel. Like really, who re-torques a wheel?
Spacers are generally made from a much softer grade of aluminum than wheels. They take a set, the nuts settle in some and the studs settle some as well, this relieves of the tension.. things get loose.

You have to pull the wheel off, re-torque the spacer within a few hundred km, and repeat again after a few hundred more than forget about it.

Ive found this to be the case only with new spacers. Once the studs and nuts have gone through the process, you can re-re them and never have to repeat the process.

Sure its a bit of a hassle but if it makes room for chains...

the_longwalker
10-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Tryggs are the best, hands down. This is what we run on our rigs on mining roads.

jlirot
03-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Reviving this thread because I just bought chains at Morfco in Langley. Amazing customer service. I called - the chains were in stock. I drove out to pick them up and the guy at the desk fitted the chains on my truck and cut off the extra link. All gratis - with a smile and a 'thank you for your business'. can't beat that with a stick.

If anybody is interested in 4 x 15/23/25 Navigator chains from Canadian Tire. They fit 265/65R17's - I know they will fit others but you will need to look up.

They have been on my truck exactly one time - for about a mile. They were required and so I put them on to keep from getting a ticket - even though I didn't need them.

I upsized my truck tires and needed bigger ones so these are for sale.

Looks like Canadian Tire has them for $221 a set. I have 2 sets. 125 a set or 200 for both seems pretty fair.

I'm in Vancouver but go to Kamloops frequently.