PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions for you elk gurus out there

KBC
10-07-2018, 07:37 PM
So I’m currently in the south eastern part of region 8 looking for elk. I’ve found a spot to camp on the edges of where the road hunters will drive (and it has cell service) and I’ve hiked a little over 20k the past two days. I’ve been throwing out location bugles every half hour or so and have yet to get an answer.
I found a spot up high and got a few cow elk that were about 300 yards away interested in what was bugling from the top of the hill. I didn’t scare them off so I think my locating bugles sound ok?
I ended up backing out and finding a way into the area the cows were in the afternoon. There was lots of fresh sign from what looked like the cows and the bigger poops looked a bit older. I found a bed with a spot still wet from piss and a big wallow that looked like it hadn’t been used for a bit.
I did my best to keep the wind in my favour and even got my first whiff of what I assume is elk but I didn’t want to stink the place up so I backed out because I’m not totally sure what to do next to find that 6 point bull having not gotten any replies to my calls.

It’s my understanding that there is still a little time left in the rut, having found some cows do you think there is a bull in the area?
If so, How would you go about finding him?
What kind of calling would you be doing if any?

I’m out here until Friday but already I’m pretty pumped having found a spot away from the other hunters, seen and smelled elk. Every time I bugle it gets easier and easier and at the very least I know where I’ll be going next year for bow season. This is the closest I’ve been yet to connecting on something bigger than grouse and it’s pretty exciting.

Cheers!

todbartell
10-07-2018, 09:13 PM
95% of the cows will be bred by now, you may find the bulls recuperating from the rigors of the rut, feeding in the prime areas at night and leaving well before light to the security of the timber. I think your best bet would be using cow vocalizations, hammer the lost calf and see if you can get something to pipe up.

elch jager
10-07-2018, 09:24 PM
There are no 6pt bulls left... the locals got what few there were in the first 3 days.

If we are lucky, maybe some of the 5's will grow another point by next year...

or maybe they will be 5's forever

j270wsm
10-07-2018, 09:26 PM
There could be a bull with the cows....anything is possible. I agree with the above post, cow/calf calls should be more productive than bugeling. The bull my son got on the 5th had 30+ cows/calves with him and he was still chasing them around.

Liveforthehunt
10-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Bull down 2 days ago had 9 cows and came in to cow calls ... try no bugles just cow calls and be patient... although he was screaming

nelsonob1
10-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Unless your on the heals of a herd bull, not much point in getting too aggressive at this point in the rut. If there are cows around try making no noise except the odd calf call every 30 mins.

okas
10-07-2018, 11:10 PM
I have never been big on bugles as most times there are lots of cows around and a bit after the rut the bulls will be close as all them cows are looking for danger for him

.308SLAYER
10-08-2018, 05:42 AM
Lol did we run into you yesterday morning you were looking for a spot to camp..big beard SUV from mission?

zippermouth
10-08-2018, 06:59 AM
In the okanagan the bulls will still be going hard. Wallows will likely not be worth checking out this time of year but you never know. Go back to those cows, I change up how my bugle sounds all the time to entice an answer. I’ve watched lots of bulls in the okanagan into October and been in some awesome bugling matches.

KBC
10-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Lol did we run into you yesterday morning you were looking for a spot to camp..big beard SUV from mission?
I don’t think my beard is that big.

HighCountryBC
10-08-2018, 10:56 PM
In the okanagan the bulls will still be going hard. Wallows will likely not be worth checking out this time of year but you never know. Go back to those cows, I change up how my bugle sounds all the time to entice an answer. I’ve watched lots of bulls in the okanagan into October and been in some awesome bugling matches.

Zippermouth is right on the money. It's almost like we've hunted together ;).

Lots of guys will tell you to stick to cow calls. I disagree. We go pretty heavy on the bugle tube and if there is a bull around, we will get him talking. October can be the most action-packed part of the season..

KBC
10-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Spotted a bull in the same area but I couldn’t tell if he was a 5 or a 6 point. Spent the last 4 hours sneaking in and doing a mix of calls. He didn’t respond to any of them but I managed to get about 20 yards from him and he spooked. I didn’t see him in the bushes and I thought he was about 70 yards away over the next little rise. After getting that close I’m pretty sure he is a 6 point but who knows it did happen pretty quick.

With me getting so so close into his bedding area, do you think he will come back anytime in the next few days?

Either way I feel pretty pumped about this trip. Other than thinking he was a little further away I did just about everything right to get a chance at him. Only a matter of time now.

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Spotted a bull in the same area but I couldn’t tell if he was a 5 or a 6 point. Spent the last 4 hours sneaking in and doing a mix of calls. He didn’t respond to any of them but I managed to get about 20 yards from him and he spooked. I didn’t see him in the bushes and I thought he was about 70 yards away over the next little rise. After getting that close I’m pretty sure he is a 6 point but who knows it did happen pretty quick.

With me getting so so close into his bedding area, do you think he will come back anytime in the next few days?

Either way I feel pretty pumped about this trip. Other than thinking he was a little further away I did just about everything right to get a chance at him. Only a matter of time now.

had that happen before, thought he was there, but instead he was right here...lol.
Too close, too quick to count points, nothing but elbows and an asshole taking off.
Again, I knew he was a 6pt, but had not taken the steps to be 100% sure, so, you did the right thing, good on you!

He could be back, maybe not right there, but chances are he will move away, and if you can find cows near by, that would
be your best bet, but a lone bull after being chased out, and he knows who you are, a hunter, is hard to find again,
especially if you wait for his return.
Best to start from there, and then try to figure out where he would go (but that takes years of hunting the same area).
Unfortunately, the only way we figure out their routes of travel and other bedding areas/wallows, is to have mistakes like this happen, and then do a lot of walking and searching, and in time you will have more knowledge, but it takes time, and it is the way it just goes.
By the time you have it all figured out, your too old to hunt!:p

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Zippermouth is right on the money. It's almost like we've hunted together ;).

Lots of guys will tell you to stick to cow calls. I disagree. We go pretty heavy on the bugle tube and if there is a bull around, we will get him talking. October can be the most action-packed part of the season..

the bull this past week for me came out probably due to cow calling, but, as soon as he knew I should be insight,
meaning me, the cow elk, should be standing right there, but couldn't see anything, he held up, and was going to walk away,
back the way he came, I decided I had nothing to lose, so I let out a high note whistle, and bingo, he turned around, and started coming straight on over!
So, yes, always try cow calls 1st, but a bugle sometimes works better, but wait til your out of options...IMO.

Bugle M In
10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
There are no 6pt bulls left... the locals got what few there were in the first 3 days.

If we are lucky, maybe some of the 5's will grow another point by next year...

or maybe they will be 5's forever

"5's forever"...so true, its not even funny!

KBC
10-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I do have to hike back to where I spotted him from and get the white tail shed I found just before I sat down to find him. Maybe I will wait until mid morning when he would be back in bed and bring the spotter and go from there. It’s definitely an isolated pocket as I haven’t seen any fresh sign anywhere else in the 40k I’ve hiked since Friday afternoon.

albravo2
10-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Good luck! I bet your heart is still pumping after that close call.

KBC
10-10-2018, 11:12 AM
The adrenaline was pumping for awhile after that. No signs of life today and someone found the white tail shed I left to come back for.

Bugle M In
10-10-2018, 11:21 AM
It seems like once a bull has you figured out (that you are not an elk), he will move on.
I seen one bull that about 24 hrs later, was appr 8 kms up river from where we saw him the 1st day.
Because he was only a 5pt, we gave ourselves up, but regardless, once they know, they tend to "move over" a bit.

masoncade1992
10-10-2018, 11:32 AM
most elk go into a second rut in October. sometimes early sometimes late. Some of the best elk hunting I have had is in October on the second rut. keep at it, all it takes is one cow to go into estrus and your chances for the bulls to get back into it, increase dramatically. I think your on the right page, just don't pressure them to much, or they might leave the area.

zippermouth
10-11-2018, 07:50 PM
the bull this past week for me came out probably due to cow calling, but, as soon as he knew I should be insight,
meaning me, the cow elk, should be standing right there, but couldn't see anything, he held up, and was going to walk away,
back the way he came, I decided I had nothing to lose, so I let out a high note whistle, and bingo, he turned around, and started coming straight on over!
So, yes, always try cow calls 1st, but a bugle sometimes works better, but wait til your out of options...IMO.
Might be good advice, but if I can’t kill an elk with out him screaming his face off id rather just go deer hunting. For me it’s all about hearing those bulls get fired up! Nothing beats an elk under a hundred yards that sounds like he’s coming to rip your head off.

Bugle M In
10-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Might be good advice, but if I can’t kill an elk with out him screaming his face off id rather just go deer hunting. For me it’s all about hearing those bulls get fired up! Nothing beats an elk under a hundred yards that sounds like he’s coming to rip your head off.

I understand that, (who wouldn't want that as the build up!) but they don't always bugle.
They sometimes just come in silently, and out of nowhere it seems.

Still rather have an elk in the freezer then deer, regardless of if it bugles or not.

KBC
10-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Well he never came back in the couple more days I had but I’m still feeling pretty good about being able to get that close. Unfortunately I have a bunch of travel for work coming up in the next month and a half so elk season is done for me but I’m already looking forward to next year. With all the studying and learning about elk I’ve done over the past year it was amazing to be able to put it into action. Now to think about the December white tail bow season when I’ll be able to get out again.