PDA

View Full Version : New plan... curious about Avola and surrounding area

bucket
10-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Well, we had a nice scouting trip in the spring. 2 of the areas we earmarked for our mid october hunt burnt. The other one apparently has nateevs putting up roadblocks (don't get me started!)

So, its going to be a bit of a crap shoot where we go. I was wondering if anyone has some insight on the area around Avola, just north east of Mcmurphy

We'll be out deer hunting with moose tags just in case. Not looking for a honey hole but its tough when your well planned out sites get burnt 2 years in a row. Not looking for a beast of a deer either, we are meat hunters and just do it to get outside..

Thanks all, and happy hunting!

Bustercluck
10-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Avola gives me the creeps every time I drive through there. Feels like I'm driving into a Stephen king novel. Lol

Frank grimes
10-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Damn good burgers

butcher
10-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Avola not your best bet for deer. Better to stop around Vavenby although that’s no screaming hell these days either. We got some snow last couple days and some of that high country is tough to access. Bring chains and power saw! If you insist on Avola you can hunt FSRs like mcmurphy, east mad, avola mtn. Good luck to you.

oh and watch out for that creepy killer clown! Lol

seriously, go visit Lunch Pail at the avola gas station. Strike up a conversation and report back.

bucket
10-04-2018, 07:42 PM
OK maybe back to the drawing board sounds like an eerie town (would love to hear the story!) and not much encouragement about wildlife traffic.. Hmmm where to!

elch jager
10-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Good Jerky at the gas bar... even better conversation. Met a local there that told me a cracker jack spot for bears... cross the bridge at Vavenby and head toward McMurphy...
Head up to Skyline or Graffunder... the area does hold moose, but I doubt you will find a unicorn there. I am guessing 'just in case' infers a spike...?

butcher
10-04-2018, 08:38 PM
There is so much snow up toward skyline and graffunder and trees on the road even the loggers weren’t going up there this week.

horshur
10-04-2018, 09:10 PM
The biggest buck I have seen the last 5 years was less then a km from avola. In Aug...don’t bother going high..Avola is migration corridor..few deer winter there but deer definitely pass thru..with some luck in timing it is a decent place to hunt...with a chance for a whitetail along river....