PDA

View Full Version : Axe for solo hunting

RootBear
09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Hello All,

looking for "right" axe for solo hunting. Any suggestions? The main purpose is tree chopping and similar job, but heavy enough to carry it.

Thanks

avadad
09-29-2018, 11:58 PM
I don't carry an axe on my solo hunts unless I'm car camping. There's always a folding saw in my hunt kit however.

RootBear
09-30-2018, 12:19 AM
what about camping fire "russian style" ? even car can be cold :)

Ferenc
09-30-2018, 12:28 AM
Wetterling or Gransfor are good quality brand axes ... lower end Fiskars ... check them out. : )

RootBear
09-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Wetterling or Gransfor are good quality brand axes ... lower end Fiskars ... check them out. : )
wow, $300+ , well could be really good axe I think... thank you for sharing

islandhunter
09-30-2018, 07:32 AM
I have a very small wetterlings that works awesome. I think it was around $100

theoutdoorsman
09-30-2018, 09:08 AM
I believe Wetterlings has been bought out and closed by gransfors (keeping employees and forging equipment), so gransfors is pretty much the only player in town now. The small forest axe or hunters axe is probably the best compromise between portability and functionality. I keep one under my truck seat and it has saved my ass a few times when I get my chainsaw bar stuck like a noob or I have an impromptu campfire.

mpotzold
09-30-2018, 12:01 PM
I believe Wetterlings has been bought out and closed by gransfors (keeping employees and forging equipment), so gransfors is pretty much the only player in town now. The small forest axe or hunters axe is probably the best compromise between portability and functionality. I keep one under my truck seat and it has saved my ass a few times when I get my chainsaw bar stuck like a noob or I have an impromptu campfire.

You’re right! Too bad!:-(

No doubt an excellent axe. By far the best we ever had. Bought 4 (all sizes) years ago & gave 1 to LT as a b-day present.

I’m sure that there are more decent makes. Just remember the old adage you get what you pay for

http://www.wetterlings.com/information-about-wetterlings/

Brez
09-30-2018, 12:14 PM
I don't carry an axe on my solo hunts unless I'm car camping. There's always a folding saw in my hunt kit however.
me too!
Car hunting different story - big Fiskars.

RootBear
09-30-2018, 02:28 PM
I've tried to find it online but they always out of stock.
Can you please post a link from where I can buy a small one?

Looks like Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe (1.5 lbs) with 16" Handle #115 is good for hunting..

HarryToolips
09-30-2018, 02:37 PM
This is what I do now, I used to carry a hatchet, but prefer the folding saw, lighter and more compact..

Ferenc
09-30-2018, 03:30 PM
I've tried to find it online but they always out of stock.
Can you please post a link from where I can buy a small one?

Looks like Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe (1.5 lbs) with 16" Handle #115 is good for hunting..

Just saw some on Ebay.com one hunting axe close to what your looking for ... says free international shipping.

Ferenc
09-30-2018, 04:38 PM
www.warriorsandwonders.com has what your looking for ,I believe they are out of Canada ...most likely your best option ... they have the axe your looking for in stock .. : )

RootBear
09-30-2018, 09:21 PM
www.warriorsandwonders.com (http://www.warriorsandwonders.com) has what your looking for ,I believe they are out of Canada ...most likely your best option ... they have the axe your looking for in stock .. : )

Great choice, thanks Ferenc. Re: ebay - do not trust them :)

kootenaihunter
10-01-2018, 07:09 AM
I'd skip the swedish axes for use in rough country. Yes they are sharp and hold and edge, but the trade off is a very hard and brittle edge, easy to chip. Stick with a cheap Fiskars. They are sharp, have a light plastic handle and lifetime warranty as well.

A good folding saw is a good alternative to cut up pecker poles in rounds or chop down small dead trees.

Busterpayton54
10-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Does anyone make a quality machete with a saw on the back?

I for one cant imagine what a $300 axe does that my $60 fiskar can't.

My crappy $25 gerber machete/saw is handy af. I'd take it over an axe for sure. The saw works, not great but I have cut up 6" diameter trees with it. It's not fast like my folder or bow saw but it does cut what's too big to chop.

Of aomeone makes a good alternative, that would be my choice. In fact if anyone knows of a good combo unit, please enlighten me as I am interested.

northernbc
10-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Buy yourself a estwing light and tough

BromBones
10-01-2018, 08:35 PM
I for one cant imagine what a $300 axe does that my $60 fiskar can't.

That's cause you probably haven't used a good axe.

A fiskars axe feels and performs like a sledgehammer after you've used a good quality axe - they are poorly balanced and and take twice the effort to get the same result as a well made forest axe. There is a huge difference.

Even the cheap cold steel forest axe will cut circles around a fiskars & has better steel. They are good for camp axes - cheap and tough.

Arctic Lake
03-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Get a quality folding saw or arborist type saw Silky with a scabbard. Also buy a BK9 great around a camp and you can baton the BK9 with a chunk of wood and split wood up. Try Warriors and Wonders for all things knives and I think they may even have folding saws
Arctic Lake

albravo2
03-05-2019, 02:44 PM
I own several Gransfors, a couple Husquvarna and a couple Fiskars.

I hate to say it, but I think the Fiskars splitting maul is as good or better than any of my forged heirloom pieces. It took me a long time to warm up to it but it is weirdly efficient at splitting.

I have a Fiskars hatchet too and it sucks compared to my Gransfors axes. Every Gransfors I've bought has come sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm. A wicked sharp axe is a hell of a tool in the right hands.

warnniklz
03-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Fiskars X7 is still my go to, cut a lot of trail cut with it. Although it was mostly stunted spruce and alders.

boxhitch
03-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Every Gransfors I've bought has come sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm. A wicked sharp axe is a hell of a tool in the right hands.And that right there is usually the reason some prefer certain axes over others. Knowing what a sharp axe is and how to get there is the most important factor regardless of who made it.
Knowing how to sharpening knives and axes properly is the best tool. A good axe file and a stone combined with the proper grease will make anything cut.

TyTy
03-05-2019, 10:46 PM
A decent axe witll run you $100 from the store. Buy a spare handle while you are there $20. A file will last a long time if you don't let it rust $10.

Iltis or Council Tools are nice ones

Downwindtracker2
03-06-2019, 10:28 AM
The geometry of the edge is what does the work. Too thin and you stick the axe, too blunt and you'll look to see if you used the wrong end. But it has to be steep enough to knock out the chip. I found an old Sandvik in a thrift store, it's light enough to use one handed. I use it a lot. In the '70s I paid $45 at Woodward for a good Swedish made axe, so paying a couple of hundred for a good axe is reasonable. The way some people use tools, a Princess Auto one is perfect. For splitting maul, get one with an axe handle, not a round sledge handle.

Arctic Lake
03-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Forgot to add if your splitting wood try a wedge ! Lee Valley has a good one with a spiral shape to it ,made in France !
Did I mention to pick up a BK9 . You will LOVE IT !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
03-08-2019, 06:27 PM
And that right there is usually the reason some prefer certain axes over others. Knowing what a sharp axe is and how to get there is the most important factor regardless of who made it.
Knowing how to sharpening knives and axes properly is the best tool. A good axe file and a stone combined with the proper grease will make anything cut.
You have hit the nail on the head !
Arctic Lake

knothead
03-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Lee Valley tools sells Gransfors