PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine protection for the truck

BRvalley
09-28-2018, 01:47 PM
I typically see a handful of porcupines every year, end of August I saw more in 48 hours than I have my entire life....heard the stories of chewing on trucks and got to experience a taste of it, no idea how aggressive they are!

making coffee and eating lunch in my truck, glassing a nice view, dog is growling but I can't figure out why, dog eventually loses his shit and tries to get out window, I'm assuming he's caught scent of a bear... big fat ******* porcupine goes running out from under my truck, middle of the afternoon...I just laugh it off and thought it was a cool experience

sleeping under the canopy, just about falling asleep, dog starts growling, tell him to go to bed, then I hear them...crawling under my truck box, can hear scratching noises, it sounded like there was an army of them under my truck, grab my head lamp and jump out the back, an entire family of them takes off in every direction, 5 or 6 of them...figured I scared them so now it's good...30 mins later in my sleeping bag they come back lol

I move spots, 5 km down the road, in the sleeping bag, more frickin porcupines found my truck!!! wtf is going on....again either an entire family of them or perhaps they herd up? porcupine rut in the fall? lol...I abandon my hunting area completely and drive to find somewhere to finally get some sleep...I saw 2 more while driving down the road, end up parking in abandoned well site, right in the middle well away from forests edge....finally get some sleep

I've heard the stories about doing major damage to wires, anything rubber or plastic...I'm a heavy sleeper, if I didn't have the dog they would've chewed the entire night...inspected under the truck in the morning and could only find chew marks on the rubber sleeve on parking brake cable...washing the truck recently I see there is a rubber mud guard between the rad and the bumper, ripped up and big chunks hanging....I assume that was the porcupines but I didn't notice it right away

I've seen the chicken wire wrap method, but unless you seriously anchor the bottom edge, wouldn't they just push their way in? or climb over the wire? and pain in the ass to do every night and morning

I've heard that putting a salt block under your truck will distract them from your truck? cheaper and easier, but is it actually effective?

I've since looked up they are schedule C animal, wasn't sure on my last trip, but won't hesitate next time....little *******s gonna make me walk 80km to the highway lol

walks with deer
09-28-2018, 02:47 PM
schedule b no go zone

BRvalley
09-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Sorry got that wrong, schedule b...but if they are chewing my truck is that not legitimate reason to kill them? Protecting my property

finngun
09-28-2018, 03:46 PM
S S S..will work

303savage
09-28-2018, 04:01 PM
We were working in an area with lots of porcupine in it and some body on the crew came up with the idea of scattering a bunch of 6"x 6" plywood blocks around the landing. solved the problem, they seem to like plywood a lot more than rubber hoses and wiring.

09-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Buy a roll of chicken wire and wrap it around your truck with a bunch of rocks and sticks to keep it in place. Porcupines are lazy opportunists, if it's somewhat secure they'll move on to something easier.

https://i1.wp.com/chasingmastery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/parking-lot.jpg

mpotzold
09-28-2018, 08:19 PM
(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?24981-Porcupine-damage-to-vehicles/page2) More on porcupines
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?24981-Porcupine-damage-to-vehicles/page2

Liptugger
09-28-2018, 08:34 PM
So where are porcupines located? what regions are they bad in?

butcher
09-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Shitpiles of them in northern region 3 and south region 7

Dash
09-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Interesting...I've never even seen one before. I'm now hoping I don't. What a pain..

Mr. Friendly
09-29-2018, 11:17 AM
my cousin had a porcupine chew out all his hosing in his engine on a hunt once.

another time, after hitting road kill, he came back to tires that had been eaten by a bear, cause of the blood on them. LoL!

mpotzold
09-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Interesting...I've never even seen one before. I'm now hoping I don't. What a pain..

Since the animal is nocturnal it's a rare sight. Saw less than a handful all these years of being outdoors.
Last time LT & I saw one was north of Germansen about a dozen years ago in the middle of the day. He was big, round & fat running between trees & taking a stop at each tree base to look back & prepare to let you have it if you get too close. Running is an overstatement! Read that the max speed for a short time is 2 mph.

They crave salt. So anything that has salty residue on it will attract them.

Mr. Friendly
09-29-2018, 11:58 AM
I'd love to bag one...heard they're quite tasty. mebe make a quill headgarb too, eh? ;)

elch jager
06-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Seems the Porkie population is booming this year in around Prince George. Had one very very insistent on coming into our camp.

Luckily we were able to get the dog on a leash before things got sticky. Was able to leverage the porkie and the e collar to condition the dog that porkies are not to be f***** around with...

No chicken wire on the trip, but there will be next time. Saw a total of 4 in 4 days. We chased one out 4 times and he kept coming back. We had to relocate him. Later that same evening another one showed up - twice the size of his brother. It was so ridiculous that we were laughing in disbelief... bloody comedy.

Watch out for these nuisances out there, they can ruin your trip in a couple ways...

I'll also mention that the CO's are out and about (the 2 officers that visited our camp were great guys) so chose your method of relocation very carefully...

BRvalley
06-03-2019, 05:28 PM
before I made this post I'd have a hard time believing how persistent and bold they can be, but I keep chicken wire in the truck on camping trips now

I found out they also chewed up the wires for my rear diff locker

stixnstones
06-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Seen lots around lac Le Jeune

jlirot
06-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Shit. I’m out there letting my dog run all the time...

Piperdown
06-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Just hire Gcreek to ride shotgun with you :mrgreen:

northof49
06-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Unbeknownst to me they chewed off both front brake lines on my old ford once.....pulled out of camp to start descent and had to stuff it into the bank to avert disaster. Little phackers!!

justaskullguy
06-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Hey BRvalley I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full so it didn't go through, you'll need to delete some messages, don't have any other way to get a hold of you

bacon_overlord
06-04-2019, 09:08 PM
https://youtu.be/aLhWzMOccTg

Might be overkill, but at least they'll be ready to eat.

Frango
06-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Shit. I’m out there letting my dog run all the time...
They are not aggressive towards people but they will go out of their way to poke a dog.. When I was kid on the farm I could feed them carrots by hand but my dog had quills often. Dogs seem to not learn about them until after numerous encounters.