PDA

View Full Version : Mulie/whitetail cross

Braedan33
09-27-2018, 08:17 AM
My cousin was hunting by 100mile last week and seen what he thinks is a hybrid buck. It had the mulie face with smallish ears and the tail of a whitetail with a black tip. The rack was a 1 by 3. Sorry dont have pics but since he was in region 5 could he of shoot this buck as a whitetail, or is it better that he let it go as for mulies it is 4 point or better?

rustybarrel
09-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Letting it go was a good call.

butcher
09-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Black tip tail, no shooty.

whitlers
09-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Seen a few of those in the kamloops area. I agree with above. Tail is important since that is what they want to see for evidence of species.

Rob Chipman
09-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Saw a doe around Clinton that was just the same. Looked at the face and ears and said "whitetail", but it turned and it had the ropey tail. Maybe it was just a regular, small eared mule doe, but it was certainly wierd.

250 sav
09-27-2018, 09:12 PM
Quite common. If you see one and watch It flee they don't bound like a muley or leap like a whitey. They look uncoordinated like a Cariboo.

butthead
09-27-2018, 09:18 PM
i shoot me one of them there hybrids many years ago

Fluidp
09-30-2018, 02:07 PM
HMmmm.. Not as weird as a doe with antlers

Quince2
10-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Had the same issue before. Asked a co and he asked what i think it was... and told me thats what to punch the tag.
On that note, i’d probably not pull the trigger until i got a really good look.

Wild one
10-03-2018, 07:35 AM
I have seen a few yearlings and does I am very confident to call hybrids in regions 6/7a. In my opinion it seems to happen in areas with low WT numbers where MD are the dominant species.

My theory is this happens in areas where WT struggle to find their own species to breed with. Just like the final hour at the bar where you fail to pick up what you hoped for the WT are breaking down and settling for whatever is willing lol

walks with deer
10-03-2018, 07:52 AM
i was tagged out on muke deer and still hunting whitetail in one of my top whitetail region 3 pockets and i came across a muley doe in heat her hawks were inflamed and she reaked and was not very skiddish she kept looking over her shoulder...

i said out load where is your boyfreind honey and dug out my cannon camera.
as i tipped toed aroud her a 5point whitetail erupted out of a thicket...5 feet from her...
i pursued this buck but it ended up a bust...point of story i am positive it was closing time for him and he was taking home a big one...lol...

HighCountryBC
10-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Hybrids are extremely rare. Most sightings are just odd-looking mule deer/whitetail bucks. Only way to tell is by the metatarsal glands/tail

Wild one
10-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Hybrids are extremely rare. Most sightings are just odd-looking mule deer/whitetail bucks. Only way to tell is by the metatarsal glands/tail

Not talking bucks and I don’t use antlers to judge species. Seen enough non typicals in my life to know better

The ones I am talking about have a few styles of odd looking tails. When it’s a lone deer it’s easy to think I am wrong but it’s when you get a yearling that has a goofy tail and mom looks like a perfect example of the species. For example a perfect looking WT doe with a yearling that has a white md butt with a tail that is thin like a md but long like a WT with a white underside others side brown no black tip

The areas I have seen what I would? As hybrids is Fraser lake and Francois Lake. Over the last 6 years I have seen a few deer that I ? In these areas. I have hunted WT and MD in every region but 4 in BC and Alberta from Edmonton south to the USA border and seen a lot of deer of both species doing so. I have not seen any deer I would? Outside of the two areas I mentioned and only a handful and not common

In the end I am not talking 3 point md or something common. No doubt it would take them being inspected by a bio to be 100%

Its not like BC has the funding to waste on studying this with the bigger issues out there