PDA

View Full Version : Send IslandWanderer Somewhere!

IslandWanderer
09-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, I have 5 days of vacation to use up. With weekends I can go on a hunting trip that’s 9 or 10 days in length.

Where should I go? What and when should I hunt? It’ll be a solo trip. I have a truck and a wall tent.

I’m cool with a long drive to get there. We’re going on two other trips: Van Isle bear in October and Queen Charlotte deer in November.

I could really use some ideas, so please send me somewhere.

RyoTHC
09-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Give turkey a shot.. maybe quail!?

REMINGTON JIM
09-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Cranbrook area - White Tails and Elk ! :wink: RJ

IslandWanderer
09-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Give turkey a shot.. maybe quail!?

Turkey would be cool. I didn’t even realize we had them until a year ago.

IslandWanderer
09-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Thanks, I’ve been curious about this part of B.C., as I’ve never been there. Sounds like elk are open? I’ll check the Regs. Are there lots of gates, or are there lots of open areas?

hoochie
09-25-2018, 10:43 PM
cranbrook.. go get a turkey.
Last turkey I got.. I swear was more exciting than my deer hunts!
so rewarding.

butcher
09-26-2018, 08:02 AM
I would blast over to region 3/5 near Clinton and over to the Fraser and pound a bunch of upland game birds. Blues, sharpies, ruffies, chukar and spruce. You might even see a deer or two.

Wild one
09-26-2018, 09:34 AM
The Peace is nice

walks with deer
09-26-2018, 10:05 AM
oh this isnt what i was hoping....

just kidding... you will not regret a trip to the peace...

but where ever you are going make sure you have proper legal tires...

RyoTHC
09-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Alot of love for the bird hunting I see.

Atleast I'm not the only one who enjoys it !!

RackStar
09-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Let’s send you to Alberta.. permanently =)

walks with deer
09-26-2018, 02:35 PM
saskatchewan has better bird hunting and i dont hunt there.

Wild one
09-26-2018, 02:44 PM

Ontario maybe better

IslandWanderer
09-26-2018, 04:54 PM
I would blast over to region 3/5 near Clinton and over to the Fraser and pound a bunch of upland game birds. Blues, sharpies, ruffies, chukar and spruce. You might even see a deer or two.

Thanks, I’ll check it out in my map book.

IslandWanderer
09-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Don’t sell yourself short. You’re better than your unimaginative and silly posts to me. You likely have good opinions to share- please do so.

IslandWanderer
09-26-2018, 04:58 PM
oh this isnt what i was hoping....

just kidding... you will not regret a trip to the peace...

but where ever you are going make sure you have proper legal tires...

The Peace is beautiful. I haven’t hunted there since the mid nineties. A long drive, but probably worth it.

RackStar
09-26-2018, 05:10 PM
When’s your trip?

If its after october 10 i would reccomend you hunt a area with whiteys. Does are delicious.
Reg 3 has some good deer. If your coming from the island Merritt is not to far and holds both species of deer

but if you don’t mind driving i would go to the east koots. I have yet to explore that area but it looks amazing

IslandWanderer
09-26-2018, 06:02 PM
When’s your trip?

If its after october 10 i would reccomend you hunt a area with whiteys. Does are delicious.
Reg 3 has some good deer. If your coming from the island Merritt is not to far and holds both species of deer

but if you don’t mind driving i would go to the east koots. I have yet to explore that area but it looks amazing

Both those options sound awesome, much appreciated. I like the terrain around Merritt, been awhile since I’ve been there. The kootenays would be cool, as I’ve never been.

Thanks for your help, and sorry I was kind of impolite to you earlier.

Ron.C
09-26-2018, 06:15 PM

yes!!!!!

Or take a run up to 4-25 and hunt some of the areas near Height of the Rockies park and you can throw Mule deer into that mix

IslandWanderer
09-26-2018, 07:33 PM
yes!!!!!

Or take a run up to 4-25 and hunt some of the areas near Height of the Rockies park and you can throw Mule deer into that mix

Thanks, seems like the kootenay’s are a popular choice. Should I go in November? I’m guessing there’s lots of snow?
Is the access to FSR’s pretty good?

Piperdown
09-26-2018, 07:59 PM

RackStar that is some funny sh*t, i was thinking somewhere where the sun don't shine :mrgreen: Just don't send him to Jordan River it is apparently a shithole....

Jelvis
09-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Island to Alberta? Whoa! Permannently? Hahahahahaha
Jel -- lol -- j/jokin

Ron.C
09-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks, seems like the kootenay’s are a popular choice. Should I go in November? I’m guessing there’s lots of snow?
Is the access to FSR’s pretty good?

4-25 has tons of road access. As do the MU's on the west side of the Kootenay River. Also a couple VCA's that we walk into and hunt. There are some big cutblocks throughout that can be glassed stand hunted and spot/stalk. Get up in elevation and you quickly start seeing Mule Deer. We went out last year last week of Oct, first week on Nov. Lots of snow and very cold "well for us Islanders".

Lots of low areas with plenty of Whitetail. Used to be pretty good elk country but recent years we have seen fewer and fewer. But we still see some every year.

Always see a Grizz or two. Been followed twice and huffed at once. A big male stole a deer from a couple fellows camped just up the road from us last year, and the year before a lady from Revelstoke was chased off her doe by a very aggressive Grizz in the same area. But I expect everyone that hunts Reg 4 has a Griz story or two

Always hear wolves on the Kootenay river FSR between Branch D and Weasel Rd in the evening.

Usually see lots of birds and bunnies too.

In general, we saw fewer deer last year than in previous years. But we also never hunted during this time. We are usually out there a month earlier. Not easy going or a sure thing, but beautiful country, with good access.

drop me a pm if you are heading that way, I'll give you some specifics.

jamfarm
09-26-2018, 08:37 PM
To the OP, thank you for calling the Queen Charlottes Islands the Queen Charlottes.

IslandWanderer
09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
To the OP, thank you for calling the Queen Charlottes Islands the Queen Charlottes.

No problem. It was certainly intentional.