PDA

View Full Version : Gator success

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Well the wife and I wrapped up our Florida vacation/gator hunt/fishing trip with some cranker gators.

We had a blast fishing the Bay for a couple days landing 7 types of different fish including JUlie landing a black tupped reef shark.

We ended up with 2 twelve foot gators in one night and then a 10 foot and a 9' 4 the next night.

It is quite a deal to see those giant gators break the surface for the first time. I would reccommend doing this trip at some point, affordable and a lot of fun.

https://i.imgur.com/PuKr2Z1l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vl8Zrl1l.jpg
light tackle black tip shark.

I am more then happy to give out any information that may help you do this hunt.

IslandWanderer
09-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Do they sell the gator meat?

Sharpish
09-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Did you keep the shark? It's certainly dead after being picked up by the gills like that.

Rhyno
09-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Did you keep the shark? It's certainly dead after being picked up by the gills like that.

I don't think they released those gators either. This is why people don't post as much, always a critic. It is clearly dead, can't our first assumption be it was legally kept.

Congrats, looks like a fun trip.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 12:27 PM

sure did. Awesome tasting a lot like spearfish.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Do they sell the gator meat?

We kept some but traded the rest of the meat for skinning and salting the hides.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 12:30 PM
I don't think they released those gators either. This is why people don't post as much, always a critic. It is clearly dead, can't our first assumption be it was legally kept.

Congrats, looks like a fun trip.

That about some it up about critics. YOu just don't go around picking up live sharks at all. That 4 foot black tip thrashed hard enough the captain would't even go near it to club it.

IslandWanderer
09-22-2018, 12:48 PM
We kept some but traded the rest of the meat for skinning and salting the hides.

Very cool! I’ve heard it’s excellent. I’ve never been on a hunting trip far away from home, but marlin fishing the captain kept the fish. Thought it might be similar.

Blainer
09-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Looks like a great holiday family vacation option. Thanks for sharing.
i really must research
Did you have recommendations as to where to begin?
South Florida?

Sharpish
09-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Didn't think shark meat was edible! Congrats on the gators, we were talking at my son's soccer game this morning and one of the families ate gator meat in Mexico and loved it. Battered and fried like fish and chips.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Looks like a great holiday family vacation option. Thanks for sharing.
i really must research
Did you have recommendations as to where to begin?
South Florida?

PM me for details. I have been down there twice and have got this figured out .

Sharpish
09-22-2018, 01:01 PM
What will you do with the skins? Jacket? Boots? Luggage?

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Didn't think shark meat was edible! Congrats on the gators, we were talking at my son's soccer game this morning and one of the families ate gator meat in Mexico and loved it. Battered and fried like fish and chips.

Both the shark and gator is good. We also kept some snapper and blue fish.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-22-2018, 01:03 PM
What will you do with the skins? Jacket? Boots? Luggage?

wifes getting a big tote bag made. I am getting a 1/2 mount done, and perhaps a couple of soft gun cases. To cool. You can get cowboy boots done if you would like as well.

Springer
09-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Man that trip has lots of Cool Factor..Looks like a great time and who better to spend it with than your bride..Congrats on the success.

tomahawk
09-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Right on. Great weather and location and ending a vacation with some fun and different hunting and fishing, what a bonus!! Love shark meat and one day hope to sink my teeth into some gator!! Thanks for sharin!!

lovemywinchester
09-22-2018, 02:58 PM
How do you hunt the gators? At night with lights and a rifle? Would be a blast I bet. Whats a tag and licence cost? Sharks and gators. Two reasons why I don't swim on vacation.

trapman
09-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Sounds Like a lot of fun, would love to get the information from you and try it myself with the family

Gateholio
09-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Very cool. Would love to hunt gators

Choot em! :)

Viper
09-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Nice gators. Love gator meat. Troy Landry would approve. "Shoot em Julie, shoot. Boy that's a big one."

srupp
09-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Sooooo sad to see 4 adult gators hang themselves..did they look depressed ? Lol..
Well done Julie..nice black tipped..and yes great gators..
Cheers
Steven

BRvalley
09-25-2018, 10:21 AM
awesome post, congrats on a great trip!

chilcotin hillbilly
09-29-2018, 09:00 AM
This hunt is a great one to do with hunting buddies or family
. I would highly reccommend it for anyone thinking they are headed to Florida for a vacation. YOu need to apply for tags in May. Jason can help you with that process.
Definately fun and it doesn't take up to much of your trip, especially if you are there with family.

ratherbefishin
10-29-2018, 06:38 AM
There are some places (ie: Zambia ) where gators are a serious threat and a number of people are bitten or killed every year.Too bad nobody hunts them..