PDA

View Full Version : What's you most and least favourite meat for eating

Island Roo
09-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Just curious what everyone has for favourites - just the meat, not processed foods likes sausages.

I've had elk, moose, white tail, mulie, and blacktail.

The best meals I get come from blacktail back-straps but moose is a close second.

I guess from what I have eaten, elk is last for satisfying my taste.

Never had sheep or caribou - not sure if I should bother.

RyoTHC
09-21-2018, 10:16 AM
I've eaten white tail, mule deer, black tail, black bear elk and moose.

My favorite is black bear. Followed by elk then white tail and moose. Mule deer is my least favorite but that being said I still enjoy it much much more than pork/beef.

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Moose and elk by far .... and I have yet to shoot either one. Mule deer Is terrible compared to those two.... why the hell havent i gotten into moose/elk hunting yet? Lol

RackStar
09-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Elk and moose for me.
I love deer though too.
WT does are good eatin.

I hear caribou is excellent.

steel_ram
09-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Seal was by far the nastiest stuff I've eaten. Rutted out mule/blacktail deer are for game banquet donations.;)

skibum
09-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Deer ----- Sunday night deer roast (mule or whitey) with mashed potatoes, lots of gravy and beets.

robert05
09-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Elk--Bison--Moose--Cougar--Bear in that order, not a deer or caribou fan

ACB
09-21-2018, 10:52 AM
I think any game meat that has been taken care of properly is excellent eating, mind you we got a mature/very old bull moose one time that had gristle 1/2in. thick on sirloin steaks. I was young and good teeth so it wasn't to bad. The best eating animal that I'v had in while was a young WT buck (small 4 pt.) before rut from Sask. during muzzle loader season, alfalfa and grain fed. The young and female seem to be the best eating of any species, but their not that impressive hanging on the wall.

Leaseman
09-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Sheep....Elk.....whitetail.....moose......bear.... mulie

tigrr
09-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Best = Mountain berry and grass fed Black bear.
Worst = Liver of any animal!!

09-21-2018, 11:25 AM
To me, the meat from a rutting mule deer buck is just about inedible. Smells like somebody farted on it. Good for jerky but nothing else. I enjoy all other game meats, with elk at the top, and moose a close second.

RackStar
09-21-2018, 11:27 AM
So tigrr... should I stop passing on bears then this fall and try one of these berry bears?
Cant seem to get over eating bear meat. But berry bears sound good. Had a cocky ******* I should have shot last week. Maybe I should have

tyreguy
09-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Best - Elk (early), Mule deer buck from this year (Sept 1st) - any early animal for that matter.
Worst - Late season Mule Deer, Kamloops Sheep (ewe) - she stunk so bad i couldn't eat it. Chorizo and hot pepperoni to kill the taste buds

todbartell
09-21-2018, 12:08 PM
I love elk. Rutted up ancient blacktail was probably my least favorite

ekul246
09-21-2018, 12:11 PM
To me, the meat from a rutting mule deer buck is just about inedible. Smells like somebody farted on it.

You got me!

Ekul246

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Best - Elk (early), Mule deer buck from this year (Sept 1st) - any early animal for that matter.
Worst - Late season Mule Deer, Kamloops Sheep (ewe) - she stunk so bad i couldn't eat it. Chorizo and hot pepperoni to kill the taste buds

Did you try turning her into an MLT?

https://discourse-cdn-aws1.com/boingboing/original/4X/4/2/6/426007eb2cd11fa7035d9bf85edbf97b30ff00d4.jpg

likemaple
09-21-2018, 01:06 PM
only tried black bear and black tail, loved black bear, not so much for black tail

tyreguy
09-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Think of a sage brush and urine marinade - and you have that ewe.

Did you try turning her into an MLT?

https://discourse-cdn-aws1.com/boingboing/original/4X/4/2/6/426007eb2cd11fa7035d9bf85edbf97b30ff00d4.jpg

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Think of a sage brush and urine marinade - and you have that eew.

fixed it for ya :lol:

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2018, 01:50 PM
KFC, A & W, then kabab meat....heheheheh

Pemby_mess
09-21-2018, 02:21 PM
I prefer elk, but never had any type of game I despise when isolated from cooking technique. My wife refuses to eat deer or moose for whatever reason, but seems to love Elk if it's blended into the dish. She's not a fan of beef either.

RyoTHC
09-21-2018, 02:32 PM
So tigrr... should I stop passing on bears then this fall and try one of these berry bears?
Cant seem to get over eating bear meat. But berry bears sound good. Had a cocky ******* I should have shot last week. Maybe I should have

Berry black bear is amazing. I got one last October and my hunting buddy just got one Sunday.. both taste better than most other meats I've eaten !

BCHunterFSJ
09-21-2018, 02:35 PM
1.deer
2.moose
3.elk
4.mountain sheep
5.bison
6.black bear
7.mountain goat billy - nannies pretty good
Of course it all depends on the cut of meat, cooking etc.
Liver and heart are favourites...

CheesyLimper
09-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Caribou, moose, thinhorn sheep, elk in that order though I like them all. Haven't had much bear yet but hope to remedy that soon.

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2018, 02:53 PM
one reminder if I may.....a gut shot animal is nothing a few buckets of clean water and a bit of wiping wont fix...if the ribs aint white, it aint done right

Piperdown
09-21-2018, 03:01 PM
To me, the meat from a rutting mule deer buck is just about inedible. Smells like somebody farted on it. Good for jelly but no one else. I enjoy all other game meats, with elk at the top, and moose a close second.

Fixed it for ya :)

Wapiti5
09-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Favorites: cougar, rocky mtn bighorn, early season caribou, goat, moose and elk pretty much tie, bison, muskox and boar and deer chops and burgers both muley and whitetail, both grizzly and black bear, pheasant, grouse, quail, rattlesnake, gator, frog. Never had blacktail. Never had Stone, Dall or Cali Sheep. Least favorite would be coyote and wolf

hawk-i
09-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Best is early season game....worst is full Rut game.

Jordan f.
09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Elk is my favorite

Duck is probably my least favorite. But I still like it and love to hunt em. Just at the bottom of a good list I guess.

Never had sheep. Would love to one day. I've also been curious of beaver tail.

rocksteady
09-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Elk
Moose
Wt
Nanny goat..
Young cougar
Antelope

Terrible....
Muley buck in full rut
Late season billy goat
Bear of any age
Wolf
Beaver
Skunk
Geese ( not the grain fed flyway type)
Ducks of any sort
Coots..

mpotzold
09-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Wild meat
Best taste-toss-up between bison & moose.
Worst taste-duck, goose

Can't stomach organ meats be they domestic or wild.

Deer, both whitetail & mule can be great but had mule that was extremely gamey, especially the fat & hard to swallow.
The taste for both deer & moose is a function of its age, when it was shot, what it was eating & proper aging.

Pheasant,grouse & ptarmigan all good tasting
Wild rabbit is OK

Won't eat animals that feed on carrion & fish.

Domestic
Never could eat mutton, not even one bite-remind me of burned wool socks!
Veal &/or piglet are my favourite

boxhitch
09-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Its all about the ambiance
Sheep ribs over a willow fire above tree line
Then tenderloins with eggs and pan taters for breakfast

Followed by caribou pre sept 15th
Cougar
Spotted owl

srupp
09-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Hmmm best..elk
Worst...any bear feeding on spawning salmon..gaaaaag..
Most satisfying. ..any wild sheep I have harvested..
Cheers
Steven

Norwestalta
09-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Elk, moose, big horn sheep are the top table fare in my house.

Caribou,white tail and mule deer are made into sausage. Only way I’ll eat them.

Harvest the Land
09-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Absolutely nothing can beat a young black bear that's been eating berries. Second choices in random order are bison, moose, elk, young deer, grouse, coho, pickerel, kangaroo. Not a fan of goat meat or kidneys from any animal (but still trying to brainwash myself into thinking they can taste good)

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Its all about the ambiance
Sheep ribs over a willow fire above tree line
Then tenderloins with eggs and pan taters for breakfast

Followed by caribou pre sept 15th
Cougar
Spotted owl

Spotted owl?

Sitkaspruce
09-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Sheep
Moose
Elk
Whitetail deer from the Peace
Berry eating mountain black bear
Mt Goat

Worst
Late season rutting mule deer
sage eating Pronghorn

Cheers

SS

two-feet
09-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Early season moose is to die for. Berry bear is amazing, the lard is worth its weight in gold. Ruffed grouse is so good. Rutting mule deer tastes like shit. Would like to try cougar, lynx

nature girl
09-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Grouse
elk
caribou
moose
deer
bear roasts
goat
the worst bear ham

Nimrod
09-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Stone sheep is by far the best then
Elk
Moose
Deer
Bear

worst
Haven't come across anything more nasty than rutting caribou
only had a couple goats but then the never really smoked my tires, not bad just flat.

butthead
09-21-2018, 08:32 PM
deer tag soup

BromBones
09-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Fresh caribou meat in August or early September is my favorite. Melt a piece of the fat in a cast iron pan & fry up some backstrap steaks medium rare with a bit of salt & pepper. A cold beer to go along doesn't hurt either.

.264winmag
09-21-2018, 09:59 PM
Top of the list for me is stone ram
bottom is November Mulie buck...

The Hermit
09-21-2018, 10:22 PM
I like it all except caribou... that is nasty stuff. I've tried it maybe a dozen times and it has always been so bad that sometimes I can't even swallow it, just terrible stuff. Alligator, toads, grizzly, snails, ants, grubs, and dew worms are great table fare compared to bou!

The worst however was rotting sea lion belly that those crazy Inuit think is a delicacy. They wrap it in cloth and bury it under a stone cairn for about six months. I managed to swallow one bite to the great amusement of the locals... man I had some great trips up in the NWT. Good memories, except for the sea lion belly and all that terrible caribou.

Ohwildwon
09-21-2018, 10:24 PM
My least favorite meat is Carrion...

Especially when I have to push a Grizz off his pile cause I'm starving..

gcreek
09-21-2018, 10:47 PM
I have eaten and liked most meats but caribou and mule deer have to be the poorest in general, they get worse as they spend time in the freezer. Won't eat bear at all, saw how wormy one can be when I was a kid and I've never forgot the sight.

For consistant, good eating I prefer my beef, lamb and pork, that saves more game for you guys.

I have been asked many times what caribou was like for an eating experience.... My description is to take an average cut of beef, leave on the counter for three or four days, then marinate in urine overnight and fry. I ate one roast of caribou I liked. Never could get past the smell of several others I've been offered.

Ohwildwon
09-21-2018, 10:56 PM
I have eaten and liked most meats but caribou and mule deer have to be the poorest in general, they get worse as they spend time in the freezer. Won't eat bear at all, saw how wormy one can be when I was a kid and I've never forgot the sight.

For consistant, good eating I prefer my beef, lamb and pork, that saves more game for you guys.

I have been asked many times what caribou was like for an eating experience.... My description is to take an average cut of beef, leave on the counter for three or four days, then marinate in urine overnight and fry. I ate one roast of caribou I liked. Never could get past the smell of several others I've been offered.

So you are joking , or, why are you even on here?

Redo
09-21-2018, 11:49 PM
BEST - I have been fortunate to harvest some nice young whitetail over the past few years. Try to intercept them between their day bedding and the alfalfa fields they feed in during the evening. Pretty much the only red meat we eat! Smoked and BBQed a backstrap last week and it was enjoyed by all, a few who had never eaten game meat before.

WORST - Have had some nasty Billy Goat and some tough hare but the worst by far was a bottom feeding lake carp we tried frying up when I was a kid!

Bunner
09-22-2018, 01:50 AM

WOW! You serious?

.264winmag
09-22-2018, 04:54 AM
I'm no expert, but a mulie in velvet isn't too bad along with an early season caribou. I've had both from later in season however, and that smell and taste is NFG.

dru88
09-22-2018, 07:21 AM
I have only tried MOOSE, MULLIE, WHITE TAILE and I would say I like MOOSE then WHITE TAILE and MULE DEER last but still good

plumberjustin
09-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Moose and bear are at the top of my list. And let’s not forget the ever delicious grouse.

mod7rem
09-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Me and my family don’t find a very big difference in actual taste between different wild meats, but the favorites are the ones that are the most consistently tender if talking about steaks. With that in mind the most favorite meat in my house is Pronghorn antelope first by far, followed by stone sheep, then everything else is very similar depending on the cut(referring to steaks).

whognu
09-22-2018, 10:36 AM
my 30 year hunting buddies pretty much hate mule deer

and they have tainted their collective families such that they won't eat them

perfect - i get most of one buddies, and all of the others........

long story boring; i have shot the odd rutted out, no fat mature muley and the tender forkhorn and i love it all

(most are shot well, dressed well and butchered well)

if 'gamey' is what i am eating, bring it on

my three kids have been eating 'gamey' mule deer for 27 years........

salt + pepper + BBQ @ medium rare (at most)

you say gamey, i say flavourful

that's all i got

xo

gcreek
09-22-2018, 12:45 PM
WOW! You serious?

The original question asks for best and worst meat opinion.

Is this going to be censored too?

gcreek
09-22-2018, 12:50 PM
So you are joking , or, why are you even on here?

Last I checked it was a free world, is my opinion to be regarded with less opinion than anyone else’s?

I care not what you preferences are even though they are all of interest. You should be happy that there are 40 extra moose and dozens of deer left that I could have taken in my lifetime.

gcreek
09-22-2018, 12:54 PM
my 30 year hunting buddies pretty much hate mule deer

and they have tainted their collective families such that they won't eat them

perfect - i get most of one buddies, and all of the others........

long story boring; i have shot the odd rutted out, no fat mature muley and the tender forkhorn and i love it all

(most are shot well, dressed well and butchered well)

if 'gamey' is what i am eating, bring it on

my three kids have been eating 'gamey' mule deer for 27 years........

salt + pepper + BBQ @ medium rare (at most)

you say gamey, i say flavourful

that's all i got

xo

Ick! Haha!

Each to his his own my friend.

tomahawk
09-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Best:

Stone Sheep
Bison

Close second:

Cougar
Moose
Elk

Good eatin:

Mule deer (including swollen rutting bucks)
Blacktail deer
Black bear (best burger of all when 8% beef fat added)
Goat
Beaver
Game birds

Shit:

Ducks that are fishy

butcher
09-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Pronghorn. Unbelievable.

Rutting mtn goat. Gaaaaak. Unbelievable