PDA

View Full Version : 3-30 last years fires

dargis
09-21-2018, 12:01 AM
I haven't been to Clinton since before last years fires. Has anyone been in that area between mound road and loon lake? I under stand there's no ORV's now. Just wondering if we should try a new spot. Thanks for any help

Bullseye Bob
09-21-2018, 12:50 AM
I was just there this weekend drove from loon lake to mound rd it has greened up pretty good , some areas burnt worse than others but they are logging up there quite a few clearcut areas up top, didnt see a single animal but i drove it at 11 am.

Weatherby Fan
09-21-2018, 05:32 AM
I’m here right now, there logging 24/7 on the north end of the Loon Lake/Mounds road, we haven’t seen an animal here, not a grouse not even a coyote, did see 6 sheep and a collared doe with 3 fawns on the north side of Mounds Ranch

Have driven back and forth before daylight and after dark and still haven’t seen any deer or even a set of tracks in the mud crossing the roads ???

Ive never seen it this bleak, hopefully it’s just the 24/7 logging and or the shitty weather ? We’re actually switching areas today.

Piperdown
09-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the report WF, are they logging the burn or new cuts, good luck only takes 1 to make it happen :)

Weatherby Fan
09-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Your welcome, They’re logging the burnt tree’s, I’m not sure there is any live Timber left on the plateau !

dargis
09-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Hmm thanks might be time to look for a different spot. Is 3-31 across the highway alright? I heard that there was a lot more private land on that side?

Takla
09-21-2018, 09:07 AM
yup lots of prime hunting on the west side but gaining permission to hunt it is not easy,bucks migrate right thru those 2 mu's

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
I have prolly hunted that area more than any other in BC...pretty sad to hear it is in such a state but as we all know, the green up will be a fantastic food source for awhile

browningboy
09-21-2018, 09:50 AM
The game is really sparse around Loon, usually see lots of deer around and now hardly any, fires probably pushed them out to another area?

poper
09-21-2018, 10:34 AM
I thought 3-30 was doing well, saw lots of mule deer, no 4 pt bucks lol but seen deer,we were north east in the region, but did hunt the south parts as well and seen deer in our go to spots.

Darksith
09-21-2018, 10:51 AM
its a bit early to hunt last years burns. Give them a few more years and they should be prime areas. The deer will move off any unburned area of the plateau (generally speaking) mid Oct weather depending. Yes there is always resident deer but the masses move into the lower fir stands, possibly even through them to the sage and lower fields. I love hunting early season in 3-30, 3-29. Not much use hanging around there when the rut hits though tbh unless you hoping for a spike fork

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2018, 11:51 AM
my biggest ever muley came from the plateau...huge bodied 3x4 with chocolate antlers... it was 2 days after a big snowfall though

dmaxtech
09-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Father-in-Law had nice 4pt walk through his property at Loon last week of August. Hasn't seen any deer since.

rageous
09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
I know couple guys that got a double on two nice bucks out of there opening weekend.

plumberjustin
09-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Didn’t head up there that last couple seasons. But always had better success down Scottie creek or the west side of the highway round McLean lake. Clinton area has always been touch and go for us....

Weatherby Fan
09-22-2018, 09:46 AM
Normally this time of year you would see dozens of deer on the Plateau, and tracks everywhere, I seen two does with fawns on the Loon Lake Road and one collared doe with three fawns on the north side of the mounds ranch,
with the skidder and tree trimmer working all night long it’s pretty noisy on the NW end of the plateau

Very quiet for animals of any kind, with the extent of the burn there is no cover from rain or wind so likely in any of the surrounding areas like Darksith mentioned.

hopefully perks up in the next few weeks