PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the mud, now what?

Wagonmaster
09-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Logging roads in many areas of BC become slick surfaces of gumbo, worse than snow after any significant rain. If you slide off the road and are basically stranded, what are your options other than trying to walk out which may be unwise if you are miles from civilization. Another hunter or logging truck could come along, but that might not happen. I have an InReach, so was thinking it would be clever to obtain the contact number of the closest towing company and, assuming they had a mobile number, text them with your location and circumstances. Alternatively, you could text a family member or friend who could phone the company, but in each case it would be useful to know who to call. I will be hunting somewhere between Tyee Lake and Big Lake in early October. Anyone have a suggestion as to who to contact should such a scenario occur?

Lozzie
09-20-2018, 07:37 AM
https://youtu.be/QCcWzLAcv4o

ElliotMoose
09-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Had it happen.. Pretty shitty feeling having your truck start to slide and not being able to do anything about it! No matter what kind of tires you have that gumbo cakes them up pretty good. I personally always carry a shovel, some pieces of gritty lumber, a good quality jack-all, a chainsaw winch and also the winch on my front bumper. You'd be surprised what you can get yourself out of

Big Lew
09-20-2018, 08:13 AM
I also carry a lot of equipment "just in case' including extra rolls of cable, snatch blocks, etc,
and a 4 ton come-a-long. (always used to have a 12000 lb winch). One of the problems I've
come up on is someone that's gone nose down off the road and were relying on their front
mounted winch. Carrying a 'jack all' or 4 ton come-a-long along with a spool of cable and at
least one snatch block will give you the opportunity to pull your vehicle back up onto the road
even if it takes a long time.

Squamch
09-20-2018, 08:24 AM
A winch, straps, snatch block, shackles, hilift, and a lot of experience ranging from simple bogged down to multiple roll over recovery has served me well. Problem is the only way to get good at that kind of thing is to do it a lot.

RJHunter
09-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Carry tire chains for slick mud. Better to put them on before your stuck and the tires are all full of mud.

CHEAM
09-20-2018, 08:43 AM
If you have tire chains for all four tires. Putting them on before can keep you out of the ditch. They work surprisingly well in the mud. Pain to put on but better than the ditch.
I reliez that’s not what you were asking. Just a thought.

Goose
09-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Many will say get a winch, I dont disagree. But what I was thinking is getting a long line of decent rope, and a few snatch blocks. get the ratio up as much as possible (9:1 etc) and a come-along. Regardless of cost, I was thinking I wouldnt have to worry about maintenance on a winch, the worry about about the winch failing, battery dying etc. I could do it myself, and this set up may also come in handy recovering critters.
Just a thought, good luck for whatever you choose!

Elkaholic
09-20-2018, 09:41 AM
All of the above and now I have added a Tirfor to my kit with extra spool of cable and that will get you pretty well out of anything. We pulled out a 1ton diesel truck with a full load of larch in the back out of the mud. It was sunk to the frame. Just came right out no problem.

Wentrot
09-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Whiskey throttle until you get unstuck or slip off the edge.

Gateholio
09-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Ratchet strap a 2x4 to your wheels :)

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Ratchet strap a 2x4 to your wheels :)

The old tractor trick .... have you actually done it? I'm curious if your average ratchet straps would hold ... even if you used like 5 of them.

I have a locking rear diff so doing it on only one wheel would work but all the other examples of this I've seen have used a chain to secure.

But if you got the clearance, which most trucks should on the rear, and as long as you dont cut the 2x4 excessively long it SHOULD work for a short distance to get out.

Big Lew
09-20-2018, 10:39 AM
For those of you thinking of using something like a come-a-long...keep in mind that
every time you double the pull with a block you're cutting the pulling distance in half.
Most come-a-longs have a max of 10- 12 ft, so one block cuts it realistically to 5-6 ft
or less depending on the amount of slack in your lines, two blocks down to 2-2 1/2 ft.
And then you have to consider being able to anchor your vehicle before re-setting your
pulling system. Any movement when releasing your anchor will amount to increased
slack so your actual pulling distance will be even less.

rocksteady
09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Wagonmaster...

If its that greasy i doubt a tow truck would get to you.. usually they are duallies with highway or moderate bush tires

rocksteady
09-20-2018, 10:55 AM
I have used chains as much to get out of mud as snow

srupp
09-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Closest is 150 mile towing..most likely will be BJS towing in williams lake.that road is not that bad. But NOT travelled often.
Srupp

RJHunter
09-20-2018, 11:11 AM
I slid off the road in the middle of nowhere once due to mud. Not walking easy down the road in those conditions. Sat phone, chained up tow truck, a few hours and $1500 later I was out. The tow truck had extra chains and we chained up my truck for drive out. Not easy to tow someone out when they slide off the road since there is no traction for pulling, winches and block / tackle to pull perpendicular to the road depending how bad you are in. Chains would have kept me out of the ditch for sure. Have a buddy ready to help or sometimes best to stay off the roads if you can.

https://i.imgur.com/kMSxKlU.jpg

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Logging roads in many areas of BC become slick surfaces of gumbo, worse than snow after any significant rain. If you slide off the road and are basically stranded, what are your options other than trying to walk out which may be unwise if you are miles from civilization. Another hunter or logging truck could come along, but that might not happen. I have an InReach, so was thinking it would be clever to obtain the contact number of the closest towing company and, assuming they had a mobile number, text them with your location and circumstances. Alternatively, you could text a family member or friend who could phone the company, but in each case it would be useful to know who to call. I will be hunting somewhere between Tyee Lake and Big Lake in early October. Anyone have a suggestion as to who to contact should such a scenario occur?

Reminds me of the Empire/Gang side roads becoming extremely & dangerously slick when wet -some even after a day's rainfall. Like a skating rink.By far the worst in the country!

Always carry chains & put them on all wheels if things get slippery.

I also have a come-along but never had to use it for the truck(except for moose)
Also carry some strong tow rope. Have pulled people when stuck over the years using it.

BRvalley
09-20-2018, 11:46 AM
The old tractor trick .... have you actually done it? I'm curious if your average ratchet straps would hold ... even if you used like 5 of them.

I've done this using 2-3" diameter sticks and rope, and a second time using 2x4 I had precut in the truck and ratchet straps....both times it got me out, square edge on the 2x4 obviously has more bite but the sticks also worked surprisingly well, good enough to get me back on the trail.....they actually make rubber blocks with straps designed for this purpose....but eventually I bought vbar chains to fit 35's, worth every penny

Edit - forgot to mention I destroyed the ratchet straps in one use, bent to shit, cut them off...I suppose that would depend what terrain you're stuck in

BornNRazed
09-20-2018, 12:34 PM
If you have a good point on the front and back of your truck you can use a jackal to lift your truck as high as the jack will go then push the jack over, front, back, front, back and repeat. It takes a long time but we have gotten a truck out of the ditch and turned right around on a narrow road. If your off the side of the mountain... better hope there is a bigger truck than yours around that day.

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
And people love to say how a bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work

.... yeah.... until any of the above happens ^^^^^^

Stresd
09-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Every truck in our hunt group has at least one winch. Mine is 16 Tacoma with locker, with a 9500 Smitty, hidden mount up front and I also carry a 8000 Warn with hitch mount as a just in case for sideways or backwards. Also good Jewelry if needed. With pulley blocks and Snatch and Tug straps there is not much we can't get out of. Usually pulling an 8 wheel Argo when heading in. With 49 years of offroad Wheeling experience, it has taught me to be reasonably prepared. Heading up N West of PG on the 27th, hoping to fill a couple tags.

Wagonmaster
09-20-2018, 03:55 PM
So, I called a towing company in Williams Lake and they informed me that none of the companies there have 4X4's and basically you are on your own. I guess if you live in that area, you might have buddies you can call, but for someone from another BC location, you are shit out of luck. Looks like a come along should be added to the equipment list. If you are unsuccessful in retrieving your vehicle, I guess you just hope other hunters come by, or maybe loggers working in the area. I'll be watching the forecast closely. Thanks everyone for your replies so far. (RJHunter that's quite the photo; glad you had a tow company in your area that was willing to take up the challenge)

BRvalley
09-20-2018, 04:58 PM
join the local FB groups, hunting groups, offroad groups, etc...I've helped pull somebody out that way, usually lots of helpful folks, but only works within cell range

Busterpayton54
09-20-2018, 05:14 PM
If you are going alone you really need to be prepared. Inreach is invaluable.
If you dont have winches, at least the equipment to improvise.

I highlift jack can be used as a winch. Cable come alongs generally suck. A chain come along would do. A shovel and a pick so you can burry an anchor.. ie spare tire, logs etc.

The old 2x4 strapped on the tire with ratchet straps has gotten more than a few out of a jam.

ive even got a spool that bolts onto the wheel lug nuts with cable to use as a winch.

If using a chain come along or chain with highlift, or even cables, make sure to have items like short pieces of chain with grab hooks or one of those cable grip/grabs so you can release tension to choke up without releasing the load.

i know some guys carry those maxtracks or tree boards.. imo you need 8 of them so you can leap frog.

Good tries chains are a hell hell of a thing in mud. I have 38" super swamper mud tires on my trucks and I still chain up in mud sometimes because it's incredible. They excel in greasy clay where the tires pack up and you are stuck in as little as 2" of grease on a firm base.

Dont forget simple tree bows. Don't use sticks or logs. They make things worse. But pine boughs and the like are amazing in mud and snow. Lay them down good and thick, they will support you through soft stuff you never would have thought possible.

35rem
09-20-2018, 05:40 PM
My truck has an old Warn 8274 with a wireless remote. Holds 150 feet of cable and I carry a nylon strap, snatch blocks plus a Jackall jack and v-bar chains.
Even with just a decent rope and some logs you can make a flip-flop winch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDGGht3CQU

Gateholio
09-20-2018, 05:58 PM

I have a locking rear diff so doing it on only one wheel would work but all the other examples of this I've seen have used a chain to secure.

But if you got the clearance, which most trucks should on the rear, and as long as you dont cut the 2x4 excessively long it SHOULD work for a short distance to get out.

Never tried it but seen it on YouTube. :)

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Being a BCAA member is important.

Been towed 2x to WL.

Once from Black Dome mt(near Empire). The tranny went,
Second time from Ward Creek(near Gang) The starter went.

In both cases got towed in short time after contacting BCAA.

Always have a Garmin GPS so could give the tow co. the exact coordinates.

Muledeercrazy2
09-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Many will say get a winch, I dont disagree. But what I was thinking is getting a long line of decent rope, and a few snatch blocks. get the ratio up as much as possible (9:1 etc) and a come-along. Regardless of cost, I was thinking I wouldnt have to worry about maintenance on a winch, the worry about about the winch failing, battery dying etc. I could do it myself, and this set up may also come in handy recovering critters.
Just a thought, good luck for whatever you choose!

Careful with going to high on your ratios. If you don't have good sheaves the added friction can defeat the benefit of going above around 6:1 or so. And make sure you have a lot of rope cause if your anchor is 30m away you would need close to 200m in length to make that work.

If you do some research on rope rescue you can learn some tricks to get away with less line if you can use good rope and prussic knots.

Minimum equipment I think is a good shovel, heavy rope of a good quality or wire rope, chain or bow saw, come a long, shackles, a few slings, 100' how strap, pulleys, Jack, tire chains, tire patch kit, spare, compressor, and remember ;

If you get stuck or start to get stuck do not panic and make it wore, take a few deep breaths and think it through

Busterpayton54
09-20-2018, 07:15 PM
That synthetic winch line is the cat's ass. Wire rope is a thing of the past. No more
worry about linking or spollinnit up perfectly. Super light and flexible. I have 100ft length, weighs maybe 2lbs, rated at 20,000lbs working load, fits in a shoe box.

Coyote
09-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Tire chains were required equipment in the Peace River gumbo when I timber cruised in that area. Worked great.

scoutlt1
09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
A Jackall, a shovel, a saw of some kind, as much strong rope as you can carry. They are all your friends. :)

Lots of good advice on here fyi....

Big Lew
09-20-2018, 07:41 PM
I've pulled more people out of problems then I can remember over the 54 years in the outback.
One of the most frustrating things some of them do, or try to do when they have slid off the road at a steep angle
is to help by putting power to the wheels. The other is to turn, especially the wrong way. Both usually make
matters worse. If the pulling equipment is successfully extracting the vehicle, let the wheels roll without power
so that they don't break the surface any more than can be helped or the vehicle will just keep sliding downhill
rather than climb up and out.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
09-20-2018, 08:20 PM
I second being a bcaa member...called them once getting stuck on FSR, they wouldn’t come because off pavement but they did have a contact of a private contractor in the area and he came and pulled me out

Being a BCAA member is important.

Been towed 2x to WL.

Once from Black Dome mt(near Empire). The tranny went,
Second time from Ward Creek(near Gang) The starter went.

In both cases got towed in short time after contacting BCAA.

Always have a Garmin GPS so could give the tow co. the exact coordinates.

Goose
09-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Thats really good info, thanks MDC2! Never would have thought about the added friction making things worse, not better. As for the length of rope, all I was really getting at is, even if you only move 30m with 200m of rope, you could atleast do it with minimal effort, and without having to invest the money into a 9-12K lb winch for a diesel truck. Dragging out a 6-7,000lb truck from a ditch with one or 2 people could be tricky. Just trying to think of a simple way to achieve this without either dropping a bunch of money, or calling in a tow from who-knows-where.
Thanks for the reply, Cheers!

Careful with going to high on your ratios. If you don't have good sheaves the added friction can defeat the benefit of going above around 6:1 or so. And make sure you have a lot of rope cause if your anchor is 30m away you would need close to 200m in length to make that work.

If you do some research on rope rescue you can learn some tricks to get away with less line if you can use good rope and prussic knots.

Minimum equipment I think is a good shovel, heavy rope of a good quality or wire rope, chain or bow saw, come a long, shackles, a few slings, 100' how strap, pulleys, Jack, tire chains, tire patch kit, spare, compressor, and remember ;

If you get stuck or start to get stuck do not panic and make it wore, take a few deep breaths and think it through

Muledeercrazy2
09-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks!
I've come to realize not getting stuck in the first place is the easiest way, but it sure is a good feeling to get yourself unstuck if you don't do any serious damage.

I have been using a 2 ton come a long and a 4:1 with rescue rope for a while now and it works great.

Salty
09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Had a good reminder about the dreaded gumbo last Saturday. I was coming down a decent grade that I'd had no trouble coming up in 4 wheel drive, I was feathering the brakes and made a slight turn left and nothing. Let off the brake still nothing for steerage. I was only going a jogging pace so no panic I just straightened the wheel and got it all but stopped then let it fall into an old water rut and used that to creep to the bottom with some control. Obviously my tires were clear on the way up and I had enough momentum I didn't spin at all. But coming down hill tires don't clear themselves good. At all. And once I started to slip and plow mud it was about like trying to run snow shoes on a hockey rink! Yeah, I gotta get some chains..

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2018, 09:04 PM
did you see that one vid where the guy used a couple lengths of trees tied to shorter ropes to be able to pull from further away

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2018, 09:16 PM
https://www.georgiabushcraft.com/blogs/news/off-grid-winch-incredible-power-from-two-logs-and-a-rope

or this one

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 09:23 PM
I second being a bcaa member...called them once getting stuck on FSR, they wouldn’t come because off pavement but they did have a contact of a private contractor in the area and he came and pulled me out

Same here!

Shortly after the second incident 16+ years ago decided to get a sat. phone.

In the first incident a W.L. cowboy/pilot(Jim Hamilton if I recall) came by & drove us to the nearest phone.

In the second incident a game warden phoned for help. He caught a reported poacher while we waited for the tow truck. The guy shot a doe (buck only) mistakenly in the wrong zone.

Big Lew
09-20-2018, 09:53 PM
The "Off-Grid" rope and logs winch is ingenious...but if trying to pull a heavy or really bogged down
vehicle you'll need a much stronger rope.
As for tying trees together...I've done that. Got bogged down in loose sand and my winch cable and extra
gear was far too short to reach the nearest anchor point. Rather than spend hours digging a "deadman",
I cut down two long pole trees, chained them together and I was just able to reach.

RadHimself
09-21-2018, 09:33 PM
a bottle jack, a chainsaw, a 3L water bladder and perciverance....

i got sucked in, blew a bead/valvestem on my front drivers tire.

used a rachet strap to keep the suspenion tight, cut about 16 rounds of varying thicknesses then proceeded to jack. got the rear tire up out of the mud, a couple rounds under the dif to hold it up, cut a 6' log in half to use as a "bridge" placed it under rear tire and set truck back down... frame was out of the mud, tire sunk a bit but was supported. racheted the front dif up tight to the frame on the front (coil springs on a dodge) and lifte from under the truck off the frame, close to the transfer case... this took a LONG time but i was 75km out in the middle of nowhere... got the popped tire off, put on my spare and stacked another couple half logs under the front tire... hit 3krpm and gunned it in 3rd gear low range and got out....