PDA

View Full Version : Hunting jacket advice

jackthebear
09-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Planning a late season mule deer hunt in the Chilcotin. Looking for real world advice on a good warm jacket that can keep me warm in the potential-20 degree weather that can happen there. BTW, I am a lean guy which means I don't have a lot of natural insulation.
thanks in advance👍

Frank grimes
09-19-2018, 09:01 PM
A good down vest under a good wool coat? Always a classical

northof49
09-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Good jacket to protect from the wind, but also several under layers such as thin merino and a stanfield wooly so you can adjust based on level of activity to avoid sweating. Thin merino long johns and wool pants down below. For me the merino and wool are most important and I frequently use a mid weight fleece camo jacket over top. Like the way it breathes to avoid sweating, but I tend not to sit much with late season deer hunts so I tend to keep warm with the layering. If plan to sit more may want to upgrade your jacket to something heavier.

twoSevenO
09-19-2018, 09:25 PM
You need a puffy down jacket .... and then a size up fleece or shell jacket over top. (With the usual layering underneath)

Down jackets scrunch up into a softball sized ball and are super lightweight. Keeping it under a shell or fleece will prolong its life as they are generally not of a tough outer fabric.

Do not get those stupid cabelas wool 6 in 1, zip out liner, jacket slash vest monstrosities. Those things weigh like 10lbs and are terrible for anything but road hunting.

Down puffy jacket is the lightest warmest layer you can have.

Of course if you have the money you could get one of those Kuiu down jackets that are tougher as they are designed to be worn as an outer layer. They come in camo. They would work very well for those dry cold climates up there.

todbartell
09-19-2018, 10:16 PM
best results will come from layering. Next so skin, choose a light, fast drying layer (Sitka CORE Lightweight). I would suggest a Merino wool midweight layer next. A puffy jacket or vest next. And then a warmer outer jacket if needed. Im fat so I always get hot

russm
09-19-2018, 10:17 PM
I like a long sleeve thermal shirt, t-shirt,hoody and carhartt jacket, I don’t think I’ve been in a wind yet that has been able to get through the jacket .

the hopper
09-19-2018, 10:41 PM
I just picked up a first light chamberlain last month.
Its very nice.
It replaced a 15 year old MEC super puffy lightweight down jacket that finally got to be more tent repair tape then jacket, lol. I am forbidden from wearing it now outside of the shop by my wife. She even purchased me an arcteryx cerium down jacket a couple years ago which I returned after a week or So of “testing” with the tags on.
i almost kept it.... it was warm but not quite as warm as the old MEC one.
Anyways...
I started by shopping at MEC, Patagonia, arcteryx all the regular spots you found down jackets years ago.
Turns out not many make a super puffy puffy anymore under 500 bucks. lots of “sweaters” and super lightweight medium warm ones, but nothing that made me want to put it on in -15 and glass for a long time.
The chamberlain seems good, lots of loft, well made no cold spots with the box baffling so, it’s also slimmer then it would otherwise be. I’m excited to really test it which says a lot because nothing else really stood out.

I’ve never been a fan of using down underneath other layers because
a. As soon as it’s under something it compresses loosing loft and warmth.
B. As soon as it’s under something its generally collecting moisture via
a. It’s Raining or snowing and I’m wearing a shell and the moisture buildup ruins the loft and warmth or
b. I become active and it breathes more effectively then my outer layer building up moisture on the inside of the goretex shell and then gets wet and looses loft and warmth.

always for under layers I’ll run wool and synthetic puffs before down, but nothing beats a super lofty down jacket in cold dry conditions as an outer layer for me and I was finding it very hard to find, it ruled out many of the down insulating jackets I kept running into on my search

I did look at the Kuiu ultra down as well but it’s designed as an under shell down layer like so many others I encountered.
maybe I’m missing out on something, but I’ve just never had great success putting down under things.

man that was supposed to be a short reply!
Sorry for the ramble but I thought my initial first 2 lines would need explanation lol!

Bustercluck
09-19-2018, 11:52 PM
You don't need anything special for -20. Layers and something to break the wind. I'd be the most worried about my feet and keeping the wind off of my face. Balaclava or neck warmer and a toque.

jackthebear
09-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone. Wasn't expecting so many replies. Lots to work with there. ��

XPEIer
09-20-2018, 06:42 AM
we ice fish tons here in the Cariboo and one small piece of clothing that has made a huge difference in our comfort level is a neck buff, never thought such a small thing could make such a difference. I have a Columbia wool coat that I put a down vest under and have yet to be cold in that.... but as mentioned above,,,, your feet will be a bigger issue. Trying to find a warm pair of boots to hike in, stand in for extended periods is much harder. Toe warmers are your friend as well.

xpeier

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2018, 06:51 AM
I am quite fond of some old turtle necks that I wont let my wife throw out for the colder temps...I always have several along for those windy cold days...as our friend from pei noted it is amazing how much a warm neck helps you feel comfortable

Jack Russell
09-20-2018, 07:06 AM
If you are walking, still hunting, climbing - down under anything is not practical. it will get wet, lumpy and lose its comfort level and warmth.

The toque is the best thermostat in the business.

Neck buffs/gaiters are really great - keep the wind off the neck etc. A difference maker.

Layers of merino, fleece and a quiet windbreaker (some fleece come with a Gore liner that is windproof) work for me.

RackStar
09-20-2018, 07:08 AM
You need a puffy down jacket .... and then a size up fleece or shell jacket over top. (With the usual layering underneath)

Down jackets scrunch up into a softball sized ball and are super lightweight. Keeping it under a shell or fleece will prolong its life as they are generally not of a tough outer fabric.

Do not get those stupid cabelas wool 6 in 1, zip out liner, jacket slash vest monstrosities. Those things weigh like 10lbs and are terrible for anything but road hunting.

Of course if you have the money you could get one of those Kuiu down jackets that are tougher as they are designed to be worn as an outer layer. They come in camo. They would work very well for those dry cold climates up there.

Reccomend any fleece jackets? Do you use hooded jacket?

i like this idea.

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Reccomend any fleece jackets? Do you use hooded jacket?

i like this idea.

For a fleece I just have a cheapo $30 one from bass pro that is cut for fat guys so an XL in that fits well over my L puffy jacket. Its great for the price and does a good job of keeping the down jacket protected. No hood but I almost always have a toque on If I need to be wearing a puffy jacket.

For a shell I have a much more expensive Arcteryx softshell that is built from Gore WINDSTOPPER with a hood and that's just a brick wall for the wind.

Works for me. The ability to remove the down jacket and pack it into a softball sized pouch is great for those days when it starts of frigid but warms up by 15 degrees when the sun comes out.

Frank grimes
09-20-2018, 01:18 PM
For a fleece I just have a cheapo $30 one from bass pro that is cut for fat guys so an XL in that fits well over my L puffy jacket. Its great for the price and does a good job of keeping the down jacket protected. No hood but I almost always have a toque on If I need to be wearing a puffy jacket.

For a shell I have a much more expensive Arcteryx softshell that is built from Gore WINDSTOPPER with a hood and that's just a brick wall for the wind.

Works for me. The ability to remove the down jacket and pack it into a softball sized pouch is great for those days when it starts of frigid but warms up by 15 degrees when the sun comes out.

Do you still take rain gear? Or does the soft shell work?

RackStar
09-20-2018, 01:29 PM

awesome i will have to stop in at bass pro next time I’m in town and take a look.
I hate being married to a heavy winter jacket. Love my down mountain hardware coat.

Cheers.

warnniklz
09-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Hunting/camping in -35. During the day I ran my under armour cold gear long sleeve, then my wool base layer, then a fleece hoodie, then a down jacket and then a a light fleece camo outer layer. I was hiking all day though.

For legs I ran just my stanfield long johns and sitka mountain pants.

Uninsulated scarpa hiking boots with heavy wigwam socks.

I was comfortable. Night time was a bit of a challenge though...

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Do you still take rain gear? Or does the soft shell work?

Generally the setup I described above is only used for the dry and cold climates. Think 100 mile or gang ranch. It really doesnt rain up there much. The cold and wind are a bigger problem.

That being said yes, the softshell works for most of those light showers up there but I do pack a light rain jacket in the pack as well. You never know when a storm could move in, soak you, and leave you freezing

Bustercluck
09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Hunting/camping in -35. During the day I ran my under armour cold gear long sleeve, then my wool base layer, then a fleece hoodie, then a down jacket and then a a light fleece camo outer layer. I was hiking all day though.

For legs I ran just my stanfield long johns and sitka mountain pants.

Uninsulated scarpa hiking boots with heavy wigwam socks.

I was comfortable. Night time was a bit of a challenge though...
I'm just wondering if there's any other problems you face in -35? Maybe gun parts freezing up. How does that cold affect zero on your rifle scope and trajectory?

Haydenmk
09-20-2018, 09:44 PM

I second this. Use down for your insulation layer, kuiu and firstlite are awesome brands. Little on the pricey side but worth it. Keep in mind they aren't breathable so not meant to be hiked in. More for when you're stationary!

AgSilver
09-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Insulation while on the move is an issue, too...that's why I have some synthetic breathable layers - particularly my Patagonia Nano Air hoody and my Arcteryx Atom SL (for warmer days but a great layer). And you can get them for WAY cheaper than the hunting brands. Mostly being layered over so who cares if they're bright blue??

I get sweaty, so I need breathable if I'm moving and that Nano Air hoody is the bomb for warmth/breathability. I, too, have a Cerium down hoodie and it's pretty great for what it is - great to layer under a shell, for sure. But not nearly as breathable if I'm moving hard and fast.

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Yes. Breathability is always a problem especially when things get labeled as "waterproof/breathable". Even the latest gore-tex is not very breathable. Certainly not when you are exerting yourself. Simply no waterproof fabric can keep up with the amount of steam your body can produce when active.

You should be able to go to sleep in your gore-tex jacket and wake up with it dry. That's about how breathable they are. If you are hiking with it on, you will get condensation on the inside guaranteed.

So yes, layer for sweat management but have realistic expectations about your garments.

AgSilver
09-20-2018, 11:04 PM
My favourite jacket of all time (and this is tongue in cheek) is the "Wetskins" line that Costco used to carry. I think the name was derived from what happened to you when you wore it...no matter what, your skin would end up wet. And rain couldn't penetrate it...but it was so NOT breathable that I'd be dripping after wearing it for even short periods. Gross.

Now my main rain jackets are my Kuiu Yukon and Arcteryx Theta AR. The Theta is WAY lighter than the Yukon and probably more breathable, but loud as all get out....so it's more of my every day/hiking jacket and the Yukon is used more in winter/hunting situations. But is a bit more snug so not always ideal. Unless I lose 20 lbs.

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 12:20 AM
I remember those Costco ones! I returned 2 because I thought they were leaking until I figured out what was happening .... but back then I also thought "breathable" meant more breathable than I later found out they all actually were. Live and learn.

I have an Arcteryx Theta AR as well. Excellent shell jacket. Mine has been going strong since 2005 (before I was ever into hunting) with a couple issues here and there that Arcteryx took care of for no charge.

But yes ... very loud. They were never designed for hunting and I'm sure if the Arcteryx folks saw hunters in their gear theyd be rolling their eyes big time. Lol.

They make some amazing jackets but I just cant justify the price for one nowadays. I saw a Theta AR (I think) at Atmosphere the other day and it was $600. Give me a break.

I bought mine when I used to work at Coast mountain sports in my early 20s and with our staff "pro deals" we could get them for $200 and back then they were made in Canada as well, back when their factory was in Burnaby still.

Skull Hunter
09-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Maybe this has already been said, but make sure you have the ability to remove or add layers depending on your level of exertion. The more you sweat and get your base layers yet, the colder you'll get no matter what.

My biggest problem in the cold is keeping my feet warm. So far the only boots I've found that work are the white bunny boots, although they're not great for hiking/walking. I've heard people say that wearing 2 toques helps with keeping feet warm, but I've never really tried this.

warnniklz
09-21-2018, 09:41 AM
I'm just wondering if there's any other problems you face in -35? Maybe gun parts freezing up. How does that cold affect zero on your rifle scope and trajectory?

Your point of impact will be lower in cold weather... unless you sight your rifle in at -35

I just made sure the working parts of my rifle were oil free. I'm sure gun oil is fine in extreme cold. But the climate is usually dry in those temperatures. I don't want debris getting stuck in the oil and freezing to parts.

twoSevenO
09-21-2018, 12:08 PM
what gloves you using in -35? That's frost bite territory!

I bought some primaloft mittens from MEC last year that have been toasty warm, but nothing close to -35. I've basically given up on gloves for still hunting in the late season. No matter how much money i spend my fingers are always freezing cold at the tips. I had to switch to mittens.

Wentrot
09-21-2018, 12:15 PM

I bought some primaloft mittens from MEC last year that have been toasty warm, but nothing close to -35. I've basically given up on gloves for still hunting in the late season. No matter how much money i spend my fingers are always freezing cold at the tips. I had to switch to mittens.

X2. Iv thrown money at new gloves every year and have yet to find a pair I don’t just toss in the backpack.

warnniklz
09-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Those cheap $1 finger gloves as I call them teamed up with wool hobo gloves(picture)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE9jCv9hLt9pxT5eg3TZUggQIZ8S_T6 l5gJ9kpMmpjMLbNNcG3

Lots of hands in the pocket. Plus my hands are always cold and once I accept my hands will be cold, I can live with it

AgSilver
09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
I remember those Costco ones! I returned 2 because I thought they were leaking until I figured out what was happening .... but back then I also thought "breathable" meant more breathable than I later found out they all actually were. Live and learn.

I have an Arcteryx Theta AR as well. Excellent shell jacket. Mine has been going strong since 2005 (before I was ever into hunting) with a couple issues here and there that Arcteryx took care of for no charge.

But yes ... very loud. They were never designed for hunting and I'm sure if the Arcteryx folks saw hunters in their gear theyd be rolling their eyes big time. Lol.

They make some amazing jackets but I just cant justify the price for one nowadays. I saw a Theta AR (I think) at Atmosphere the other day and it was $600. Give me a break.

I bought mine when I used to work at Coast mountain sports in my early 20s and with our staff "pro deals" we could get them for $200 and back then they were made in Canada as well, back when their factory was in Burnaby still.

Yep, stupid expensive. I got mine on closeout when LiveOutThere was shutting down their retail ops. But still pricey. But glad I did it because it's better than any jacket I've ever owned.

For the gloves, my hands are pretty well always cold. A thin merino under something warmer usually works not too badly....but I did find that my Kuiu Superdown Glassing Mitts actually crazy warm. But they aren't meant to be durable or "constant" use - just when sitting there not doing much...then they're stellar.

honeyman76
10-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Hey guys, just caught up on this thread, I ice fish a lot in the winter. I want to get something that can keep me warm there, but also, something that can help with freezing to death on my quad. Both cases, the wind seems to get me. Then, long rides on the quad or standing still on a lake, and I am miserable. What do you guys wear for this?

warnniklz
10-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, just caught up on this thread, I ice fish a lot in the winter. I want to get something that can keep me warm there, but also, something that can help with freezing to death on my quad. Both cases, the wind seems to get me. Then, long rides on the quad or standing still on a lake, and I am miserable. What do you guys wear for this?

My ice fishing set-up isn't much different than my hunting set-up set-up, nothing like ice fishing in -30 weather... baselayer, thin wool stanfield, fleece pullover, puffy down jacket then outer snowboarding jacket to cut the wind. Don't usually take a quad or sled in, but do tend to hike in. Then a fleece neck gaiter, wool toque, klim gloves, long johns, sweats, snow pants. Then match that up with gaiters, good socks and snow shoes. I also pack in a a window reflector to lay on. And don't forget the pocket warmers.

https://scontent.fyxd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12493526_10156407284470387_7187682699149670816_o.j pg?_nc_cat=100&oh=cc96217b10863faccd0f991c122174af&oe=5C5AE956

Weatherby Fan
10-04-2018, 12:57 PM
I use a Sitka Stratus Jacket over merino wool long sleeve shirt, also have a synthetic puffy Ill put on underneath the stratus jacket after hiking if Im getting a chill from sweating !

wideopenthrottle
10-04-2018, 01:12 PM
My favourite jacket of all time (and this is tongue in cheek) is the "Wetskins" line that Costco used to carry. I think the name was derived from what happened to you when you wore it...no matter what, your skin would end up wet. And rain couldn't penetrate it...but it was so NOT breathable that I'd be dripping after wearing it for even short periods. Gross.

Now my main rain jackets are my Kuiu Yukon and Arcteryx Theta AR. The Theta is WAY lighter than the Yukon and probably more breathable, but loud as all get out....so it's more of my every day/hiking jacket and the Yukon is used more in winter/hunting situations. But is a bit more snug so not always ideal. Unless I lose 20 lbs.

i bought a set of those wetskins for under 150 bucks maybe 20 years ago to use as an outer layer on snowmobile trips...it was pretty good for that but as you say....you can feel like a boil in bag dumpling if warm out

northof49
10-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Dont ice fish much nowadays, but used to wear my PG dinner jacket, drive out onto the ice with my Toyota and crank the heat and listen to tunes with a bevy and rod out the window:lol:

honeyman76
10-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Dont ice fish much nowadays, but used to wear my PG dinner jacket, drive out onto the ice with my Toyota and crank the heat and listen to tunes with a bevy and rod out the window:lol:

Ha! I love that idea!~ The problem is, my wife would never come out on the ice with me lol

wlbc
10-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Planning a late season mule deer hunt in the Chilcotin. Looking for real world advice on a good warm jacket that can keep me warm in the potential-20 degree weather that can happen there. BTW, I am a lean guy which means I don't have a lot of natural insulation.
thanks in advance��

Greetings jackthebear,

I've hunted late season around Williams Lake for a couple of decades now and I love that late crisp time with the quiet sugar snow.

If you are sitting or truck hunting I can't help you as I walk a lot. I start with a merino wool long underwear layer and heavy wool socks. I'm blessed with hot feet so I just wear lightly insulated leather boots (Diotti's IIRC from Al at Chilcotin Guns). Next I layer my insulated bibs and then a light cotton snow camo cover pant. Up top a polyester shirt over the merino wool, followed by a alpaca or merino wool sweater, then a windshear fleece covered by light cotton snow camo coat. A toque and those cheap mitts that the top folds back so your fingers can be free when you shoot. I have found this works well and the moisture from the sweat wicks off and forms hoar frost on the outer layer.

The insulated bibs and the wind shear fleece are both from Cabelas, but you can get good stuff from a large number of brands these days. I patronize Cabelas because they tend to have large tall sizes and some of the other well known brands do not always have the xxxl tall. A final note, when you layer with the exception of the long johns try to fit everything else a little bit loose.

With all due respect to other posters I would avoid down because if you are active it gets wet from sweat and stops insulating, then you get cold and it cuts your hunting time.

Get out early before dawn and get into your area so dawn breaks with you in your starting place.

Hope this helps and good luck.