PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Grizzly area

Jimbob
09-18-2018, 10:34 AM
I have some questions as someone who is new to grizzly country. What precautions, for grizzly, do you take once an animal is down? Gun at the ready of course. Do you light a fire? Will, you gut/debone at night? pack at night? or wait and only do it in daylight? Are you more relaxed in low concentration areas or do you still take the same precautions?.

I am moose hunting with my 11 yr old son and only have weekends off (teacher). I will not hunt Sunday afternoon as I will not have time to get moose out and be at work Monday morning. However, I could be in a situation where time is of the essence and I need to retrieve the moose in the dark. I'm thinking of sticking to daylight hours even if it means I miss work.

So what do you guys do?

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2018, 10:57 AM
I will rather go all night to retrieve an animal than leave it till morning personally...where I have had to leave an animal to go get help, I would gut it first and drag it a little ways from the gut pile then hang it up on a branch( for deer)- I always carry 20 feet of 8mm kernmantle on my belt and I know a few tricks to gain mechanical advantage...In my survival gear is a sharpie that I routinely use to write on flagging tape to help retrace my steps (usually just time and direction headed on the tape) so I would leave a brief note attached to the deer if doing that....

todbartell
09-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Carry a powerful gun with huge bullets

Jordan f.
09-18-2018, 11:14 AM
I basically hunt exclusively in grizz country. I've come across them more then once. It can be nerve racking sometimes, but you have to keep a level head.

We had to pack a bull elk (12km each way.. multiple trips) on foot through a zone with a good chunk of grizzly bears. Last pack out was about 1am and that was not fun haha.

Carry a gun
Carry bear spray
Make noise
Never let your guard down
Don't let it ruin your experience

Rock&Ice
09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Totally agree with the working steady to get the animal out versus leaving it overnight. As was already stated, move the quarters from the gutpile and punch the ponch to make that the stinkiest. Leaving it overnight can mean its ruined by coyotes, bears, wolves, etc. if there is no human scent or noise to deter.

Make noise. A fire is not a bad idea if its safe. Move the quarters about 100 yards from the gutpile. Bear spray.

northof49
09-18-2018, 11:54 AM
If eve and not much light temaining I work fast and just bust the guts out, open back of neck split pelvis and raise the rump off ground with a log for added cooling. String a tarp over in case of rain and back at site at first light with firearm to finish processing. Will not know what hit you in the dark if a griz wants to claim the kill. They can be incredibly sneaky quiet or come in fast. Much prefer to deal with a situation like that in day light. I have frequently had bears show up after gun shot. Often they are already pulled in by the calling and are nearby. I also opt for heavy calibers in these areas. Really depends where you are hunting tho and the liklihood of griz presence. I dont worry much about bbears.

Ron.C
09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I now carry my pack alarm when hunting alone in G bear country. To easy to string it up and create a big perimeter when you can't constantly be watching your back and while working alone.

I shot an elk at last light bow season one year in warm weather and worked alone to get it quartered and packed out. Was very un- nerving. The pack alarm allows you to focus on what you are doing, getting it done sooner

Bugle M In
09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Never a fun situation when it comes to dropping game like elk in GBear country just before nightfall for sure.
Years ago, you never worried about it much, as the Gbear where hunted, and were "fearful"
That has all changed for sure, and many need to start realizing that.
Drag guts away asap.
Better yet, do the "gutless" method first, get your quarters get them bagged, as well as backstraps, and now of course ribs and neck, and tenderloins (so yes, you will end up with the smelly guts more now due to the regulation changes.
(before, you left the tenderloins, thus the stomach closed till right at the end)

We used to gut right thru the night, being that we were 10-15kms away from vehicle, so lots of nights coming out at 4:00 am.
That being said, we had multiple guys there, and yes a fire! (more so because it was cold, but a good idea I suppose for Bear)

But, with only 2 guys, or by yourself, yes, it is nerve racking.
Have gutted elk, dragged guts away, and place sticks in to keep ribs cage open too cool out, when we have left elk overnight.
(but, many of the elk were on the river, so very open, compared to deep in the timber and thick stuff)
I always left my undershirt (smelly human scent) on the body or antlers, and if you have to pee, due that around the area as well...imo...and do it like a dog, a squirt here and and a squirt there...lol.

If you can get the quarters and rest of the meat at least some distance away from the kill site, to leave overnight, that's th best thing to do.

If worried about coming back in the morning, pay attention to the birds like whiskey jacks and ravens.
Are they on the kill, and if so, that probably means nothing is on the kill.
If ravens are sitting all over, but some distance away, well then, just maybe something is on the kill.
Walk in loud, and just stay prepared.

Sadly, I know of 2 guys close to where I hunt that lost their lives after taking a bull elk up above the sub alpine with
snow around.
You would think that in sub alpine, you have lots of "viewing range" for anything coming in, and being in sub alpine, you
should be aware of the fact that there is even a higher risk of Gbear.
So, why it happened, and they weren't aware...I have no idea, and it still makes me wonder about it to this day, as to
why, how, and what went wrong....what could they have done better???

And one other thing, and I have seen some friends personal video when they tried to take a caribou down at long range,
with multiple shots, as some gave up, and other's would try.
A GBear came running in, from way way off, and they never recovered the boo til days later...just the antlers!

So, no, they ain't scared, and are getting used to gun shots.
I will take my chances during daylight, the next day if need be, but I will make every attempt to get what I can ASAP away
from kill site, to a safe distance away, and somewhere "more open".

Interesting thread and curious to how others "get it done" for sure.

Bugle M In
09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
I now carry my pack alarm when hunting alone in G bear country. To easy to string it up and create a big perimeter when you can't constantly be watching your back and while working alone.

I shot an elk at lady light bow season one year in warm weather and worked alone to get it quartered and packed out. Was very un- nerving. The pack alarm allows you to focus on what you are doing, getting it done sooner

Good idea.
Maybe a Bluetooth speaker and some "Metallica" to boot....(just kidding with the music, but perimeter alarm sounds good)

Did you buy that, or just made at home??
What do you use??

Bugle M In
09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
I know some folks have also gone to buy a 45/70 or shotgun just for the sole purpose of taking out game.

RJHunter
09-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Agree with above. We move the quarters away from the gut pile if we can't take it all and try to leave in a place with good visibility. Watch and listen before walking into the meat cache. Have used the dirty underwear trick for a while and so far so good lol. We usually light a fire, good for peace of mind, warming up, cooking meat and smoke helps keep the flies off. I like to keep the rifle handy, not strapped to a pack and watch my back trail. We make lots of noise, usually laughing our asses off at each other. My brother usually sings most of the way out if its dark. Might be good to teach your son to use bear spray in case there is a close encounter.

https://i.imgur.com/qUojjmJ.jpg

Takla
09-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow seems like lots here have had bear encounters after killing game.....Ive hunted since the late 70's and mostly in griz country,bagging game nearly every yr and have never had a grizzly or a black bear show at a kill site.Call me lucky!
We have however shot 3 bears in our camps over the yrs,seems to take them about 1-2 days to hone in on food smell then generally stick around but out of site till dark.Keep a clean camp and youll have less to worry about

takla

Bugle M In
09-18-2018, 12:26 PM
yes, do not keep rifle strapped to backpack!
I know I guy who shot a GBear Boar, had it all on his pack, and rifle slung over pack as well for comfort reasons.
Well, he walked smack dab right into a sow, who had cubs (some distance off still however).
The scent of that boar carried straight to the sow, and next thing you know, sow coming straight, full bore at him.
He barely got a hold of the rifle!!! in time.....
Then he had "2 bears down"....luckily, and yes, a phone call to CO's....
So much fun, isn't it at times!!???

tomahawk
09-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Its really mostly related to the area, how far from camp or truck, time of day etc etc but common sense and figuring out what you can do to mitigate the danger is somewhat different each time. DON'T EVER retrieve or come back to get the animal without a firearm. Ive been bush hunting moose on foot since 1981 in heavy grizzly country, see them regularily, mostly in close as vision is limited. Only once out of some 30 ish moose we harvested have we had an extremely stressful and dangerous encounter. WEve had them stand up on an old skid trail 40 yds away and woof at us as we pass along a trail and while that's concerning it wasn't at all life threatening. However one time we shot a bull moose a long ways from ATV access and had to build a float to carry the atv across a deep waterway and cut our way in to the animal which took a long time the following day after the kill. We had all the meat out and my buddy went back and a boar came at my partner silently from the kill site, luckily my buddy heard him walking through a low wet runoff area so he came to a shooting position and the griz never missed a beat and walked straight at him from 35 ft with no backing off despite yelling so he dropped at 25 feet with a thud. Never seen fear in someones eyes like he had that day, it was erie..

walks with deer
09-18-2018, 01:35 PM
not much to add here bugle m in gave you almost same advise as i would....i come back for the trim and cycle the quarters toghether....
i am a fan of a packing gun.

Ron.C
09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Good idea.
Maybe a Bluetooth speaker and some "Metallica" to boot....(just kidding with the music, but perimeter alarm sounds good)

Did you buy that, or just made at home??
What do you use??purchased it. Same one I use around my tent when spiking out.

hickman
09-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Often hunt in grizzly terrain. I carry bear spray. No need for handgun or big caliber IMO. Use common sense, be alert, stay alert. Get your meat, pack out as far as possible away from the gut pile. Animals will go for the guts first because high calorie. If I cannot get to the truck, I hang meat as high up in a tree as possible a few hundred meters away from camp. Keep your rifle ready to go in the tent at night. On our opening weekend hunt we saw a sow with cubs within a kilometer of camp and meat. They never touched it. We made lots of noise, they don't want to deal with humans. The gut pile was about 2KM away from camp up high on a slope. There was another 4pt in that valley but we decided not to hunt that spot anymore because of proximity to the gut pile.
I have seen lots of grizz in places I hunt and never had an issue. If you see an animal sitting on a gut pile, just leave....

S.W.A.T.
09-18-2018, 03:21 PM
What is considered "bear country "?

caddisguy
09-18-2018, 03:23 PM
I don't have any experience with grizzlies and they are pretty much a myth where I hunt, but the black bears are plentiful and we've worked well into the night gutting and packing out bears a couple of times, one of which was our first bear. That year we had a bear grazing around the small feeding area we were in within a few yards of us. We scared it away a couple times with the air horn, but it always came back a few minutes later and the third time around it didn't care about the air horn at all. Pretty unnerving working on a bear with another one hanging around in petting distance. I can't imagine if it was a grizz... I'm sure it would have bumped us off the kill in a rag doll like fashion.

Working on an animal in the dark is spooky enough with cats and blackies around. We talk pretty loud to communicate to other animals we're a crowd, confident, dominant, etc (I know enough about grizz to know that 2 is not going to make them crowd shy) One person is always dedicated to having their head on a swivel while working on the animal and while packing out. Gun is always in reach.

I personally don't like the ideas of fires. To each their own. In my experience fire does not deter animals... deer, moose, black bear, raccoons, snowshoe hare, etc. I don't think grizzlies would be much different. Sometimes I thought a fire would bring more comfort and confidence, but all it really does is masque noises and screw up my night vision so I can't see more than 10 feet around me. I'd need a lot more convincing that fires actually deter grizz, otherwise it would just be giving me a handicap, several seconds (maybe even minutes) to realise and prepare for the threat.

quadrakid
09-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Just a quick message while on this subject. This is for all you Vancouver Island guys going into Grizzly country for the first time. If you spot a big mound of freshly dug up dirt or see some birds working a dead critter,DO NOT investigate out of curiousity. Often a Grizzly is close by guarding a kill. Had a friend hunting with his son who ended up standing on a mound of dirt wondering what it was when they noticed some moose antler poking out of the mound. Yes, a change of underwear was required. They were lucky and skidaddled out of there.

Tim Tam Slam
09-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Thanks for posting this thread, I know there’s been lots on this already. Looking forward to seeing more posts! Increasing bear population everywhere makes me wary about the night time haul out.

Bugle M In - great insight! I’m keeping mental notes.

Buck
09-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Its really mostly related to the area, how far from camp or truck, time of day etc etc but common sense and figuring out what you can do to mitigate the danger is somewhat different each time. DON'T EVER retrieve or come back to get the animal without a firearm. Ive been bush hunting moose on foot since 1981 in heavy grizzly country, see them regularily, mostly in close as vision is limited. Only once out of some 30 ish moose we harvested have we had an extremely stressful and dangerous encounter. WEve had them stand up on an old skid trail 40 yds away and woof at us as we pass along a trail and while that's concerning it wasn't at all life threatening. However one time we shot a bull moose a long ways from ATV access and had to build a float to carry the atv across a deep waterway and cut our way in to the animal which took a long time the following day after the kill. We had all the meat out and my buddy went back and a boar came at my partner silently from the kill site, luckily my buddy heard him walking through a low wet runoff area so he came to a shooting position and the griz never missed a beat and walked straight at him from 35 ft with no backing off despite yelling so he dropped at 25 feet with a thud. Never seen fear in someones eyes like he had that day, it was erie..

What caliber do you pack?

BromBones
09-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Keep your rifle in arms reach and pay attention as you're dealing with the meat. Stop, look and listen regularly and don't get so focused on the job that you're oblivious to your surroundings.

Hiking out, keep your rifle cradled in one hand when possible. Fumbling for a rifle that's strapped to your pack when you're in a bind is not good. Those few seconds can be the difference in getting a shot away or getting steamrolled.

I also always have my dog with me, been taking him hunting for 10 years and with a bit of training (or experimenting :) ) he sort of developed a knack for circling the brush and guarding when I'm dealing with a downed animal. A lot of the natural guarding breeds will take to that. A well trained hunting dog is pretty good insurance.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
09-18-2018, 07:04 PM

I shot an elk at last light bow season one year in warm weather and worked alone to get it quartered and packed out. Was very un- nerving. The pack alarm allows you to focus on what you are doing, getting it done sooner

Leaving a moose overnignt is not an option...they retain too much heat and if you leave till the next day to process you will get spoilage aka bone sour...you have to open up and gut or skin and quarter ASAP...you will be amazed on the amount of heat the skin will retain...i recently shot a bull moose solo with only 10 minutes of light left...I set up my PackAlarm pulled out my iPhone and played my playlist titled chill music as loud as it would go to hopefully deter any curious predators and the music helped to calm my nerves in grizz country...if you do not feel comfortable processing at night only hunt in morning so you have daylight...good luck!

whitlers
09-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Anything can happen with Gbears. Listen to the Meat Eater podcast called 'Meat Tree'. Its an eye opener for sure.

tuffcityhunter
09-18-2018, 07:37 PM
very good point about the animal being burried after a kill with the bears. Sister was young and chased a grouse into the brush and ended up right on top of a kill she was definitely a little spooked after that about the bears. when we back out animals we try our best to circle up high on the kill site and glass back down on it if the visibility is low to see if anything is their. Packed a bison out of the bush once in the october draw. guys where watching us on the hill side and lucky for us the sow and cubs came in after our last trip just after we left. same trip one destroyed our bbq. as soon as we have a kill down the bear spray goes on.
seen a grizz hunter once as he was getting loaded into the chopper. he shot his boar then compound fractured his leg not to far from the kill site. Spent his night up on the hill and definitely had to defend off the bears all night that as they where circling him all night long. scary times!!!!

HarryToolips
09-18-2018, 08:02 PM

I own a pack alarm and I haven't done it yet, but thought of exactly this....why not use it for more than just sleeping..

caddisguy
09-18-2018, 08:20 PM
very good point about the animal being burried after a kill with the bears. Sister was young and chased a grouse into the brush and ended up right on top of a kill she was definitely a little spooked after that about the bears. when we back out animals we try our best to circle up high on the kill site and glass back down on it if the visibility is low to see if anything is their. Packed a bison out of the bush once in the october draw. guys where watching us on the hill side and lucky for us the sow and cubs came in after our last trip just after we left. same trip one destroyed our bbq. as soon as we have a kill down the bear spray goes on.
seen a grizz hunter once as he was getting loaded into the chopper. he shot his boar then compound fractured his leg not to far from the kill site. Spent his night up on the hill and definitely had to defend off the bears all night that as they where circling him all night long. scary times!!!!

I found a spike mostly buried in 3-26. The head and part of the chest cavity were exposed. It was freshly eaten on and I figured we spooked the culprit. My instinctive strategy was to walk out exactly over the same tracks we came in on since we didn't get charged coming in... figured any deviation from that route back out was a gamble. Spooky stuff!!

Arctic Lake
09-18-2018, 08:37 PM
purchased it. Same one I use around my tent when spiking out.

Ron could you please post a link to the alarm you are talking about ? Also how you would rig it up for a perimeter alarm .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Little unnerving for sure !
Very good information in this thread ! Bugle very good list !

Mid October we shot a good sized moose mid morning once and we were still packing out when it got dark . We left a Coleman lantern burning at the kill site while we made trips to the truck with meat. Partner carried the gun I packed the meat .

What the other member said for sure " Don't leave the guts in overnight " !

Heard the story more than once about a hunter going back solo when he had a partner and for whatever reason not sure ,that did not accompany him to the kill sight from the night before. Hunter lost his life to a Griz !
R.I.P

Island Roo
09-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Last year we had a moose down before last light and quartering continued well after dark.
Just 2 of us. One guy always held a gun on lookout while the other worked.
We also kept a fire going and got a quad in close - left it running.

Sharpish
09-18-2018, 10:18 PM
You guys are paranoid ...

Wild one
09-18-2018, 10:34 PM
You guys are paranoid ...

all grizzly bears are out to eat hunters this is a fact lol

tomahawk
09-18-2018, 10:37 PM
What caliber do you pack?

From 1977 till about 14 yrs ago a 30-06, last 14 years a 300 WM. Buddy has a 7 mm.

mpotzold
09-18-2018, 11:56 PM
From 1977 till about 14 yrs ago a 30-06, last 14 years a 300 WM. Buddy has a 7 mm.

Started with a 30/30 in '65 followed by a 303, 308 Norma, 300 Win, 375 H&H & finally a 45/70 GG.

Forget about the fire, it may even attract bears. A few years back I posted about some hunters from Alberta having a bear approach & trying to drag a moose away right in front of a roaring fire.

If we have to leave the game overnight then we circle the area with orange flagging about 2 feet high. Next morning while approaching the marked area we have our rifles ready to shoot at a seconds notice. We also listen carefully to the birds/rodents & watch for ravens/owls...

When gutting/quartering one guy keeps a keen eye on the surroundings & ready for immediate action if necessary.
For protection a CRF rifle is better. Also preferably no scope!

Read about Caspell, Fumerton grizzly attack. Both let their guard down while field dressing an elk & unfortunately paid the ultimate price!:(

mpotzold
09-19-2018, 12:45 AM
From AOF in 2012-asked for permission.
HW-AGGRESSIVE Bear at Moose Camp!! Just recently figured out the Picture Loading thing, lol lol lol, Wanted to share this story, we were hunting by Manning, Alberta, a friend had a Bull Moose tag there, he got a great bull, well that night while have drinks by the fire at about 10:30, we heard a bear prowling the campsite, well this cinnamon bear came in and tried to steal the moose head, so my friend is having a tug of war with this bear, the bear then began growling and snorting in the dark, tough to see him at times, and then he got REALLY AGGRESSIVE and the bear had to be Destroyed, by camping in a Tent the RISK Factor was too Great, it was pretty intense at times!!!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1744.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1762.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1787.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1791.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1799.jpg

mpotzold
09-19-2018, 12:46 AM
CONTINUED
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1800.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/hiddenwalleye/IMGP1817.jpg

RJHunter
09-19-2018, 12:54 AM
Crazy story! Good pics!

Ron.C
09-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Ron could you please post a link to the alarm you are talking about ? Also how you would rig it up for a perimeter alarm .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

I bought mine when HBC did a buy several years back.

There's a new version out. Anyone interested in inquiring about a group buy?

www.packalarm.net

Island Roo
09-19-2018, 07:31 AM

www.packalarm.net (http://www.packalarm.net)

Im tempted but we're heading out next Friday. Probably not enough time.

09-19-2018, 08:13 AM
We’ve been using a Pack Alarm for a few years now. They really work. Last year we had a grizzly come into camp about 1:30 AM. The alarm woke us up and sent the bear packing

139grainsofhell
09-19-2018, 09:39 AM
all grizzly bears are out to eat hunters this is a fact lol

Just the paranoid ones from the island lol

Arctic Lake
09-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Hi Ron
I would be interested in buying one ! Would come in handy for all sorts of applications . Hopefully others will jump in ! Did they used to be a sponsor on here ?
Arctic Lake

whitlers
09-19-2018, 11:14 AM
Hi Ron
I would be interested in buying one ! Would come in handy for all sorts of applications . Hopefully others will jump in ! Did they used to be a sponsor on here ?
Arctic Lake

I would be interested

Busterpayton54
09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Me too. I jimmied one up this spring with one of those women's rape alarms and some 40lb test fishing line. It worked but it's a pita to deal with.

chuckerb
09-19-2018, 07:19 PM
When I am in camp and in my tent I will park my truck close and if something wakes me up I will hit the alarm on the truck lights will flash and horn will blare or keep beeping till I have my rifle by my side and flash light.

stoneramhunter
09-20-2018, 07:57 AM
I have hunted with pack horses close to 40 years in the back country. Had a few run in with grizzly. A trick I use is after I shoot an animal and have prepared for packing it out I cut an pole and tie a piece of flagging o. It . I then jam it into the remains upright. When I return with the pack animals I look to see if the pole is moving or k ocked down . You can see this from a distance. This has alerted me to a bear on the kill a few times over the 40 years. Bears are being defensive claiming the food.

Bugle M In
09-20-2018, 09:49 AM
I have hunted with pack horses close to 40 years in the back country. Had a few run in with grizzly. A trick I use is after I shoot an animal and have prepared for packing it out I cut an pole and tie a piece of flagging o. It . I then jam it into the remains upright. When I return with the pack animals I look to see if the pole is moving or k ocked down . You can see this from a distance. This has alerted me to a bear on the kill a few times over the 40 years. Bears are being defensive claiming the food.

good advice!

Akski
09-20-2018, 10:55 AM

I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?

Busterpayton54
09-20-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?
spray your fake down with bear spray?
Bear spray is ataully an attractant. They will actually come and lick it off things that it's been sprayed on.

whitlers
09-20-2018, 12:41 PM

Spray the meat after your have harvested the bear. Adds a nice peppery taste. Takes the gamey taste away.

mpotzold
09-20-2018, 01:41 PM
spray your fake down with bear spray?
Bear spray is ataully an attractant. They will actually come and lick it off things that it's been sprayed on.

Bear spray makes great grizzly bait!:mrgreen:
The ground has been bear sprayed!
http://www.explorenorth.com/library/misc/images/roll.jpg

Now an easy shot:-P
http://explorenorth.com/library/misc/images/laying.jpg

elch jager
09-20-2018, 01:44 PM

No you apply it to yourself, just as you would insect repellent... just try not to get it in your eyes, as it will sting a bit...

northof49
09-20-2018, 02:07 PM

You likely figured out these guys are pulling your leg....no bear spray anywhere near on your meat.... either side. Also not recommended on oneself.

caddisguy
09-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Lol bear spray is probably one of the best bear attractants that exist. Smells like a whole orchard of peppers.

I had an "accidental discharge" while flyfishing and did not realize I got trace amounts on some gear which then got onto my hands and then onto my eyes. It sucked... a bit handicapped. I had to close my eyes for a couple seconds every 5 seconds.

Had a huge belly dragging tank blackie come all the way up to about 10-15 yards. He got up on his hind legs and when I said "hey bear" got disappointed and got back down on all fours, slowly turned around and dragged his belly back into the bush.

Met my share of people who think spraying it is like marking territory or some kind of deterrent. Not at all. 100% THE best attractant and only a halfass deterrent if you get it in their eyes and they inhale some.

Jagermeister
09-21-2018, 12:50 AM
With the decline of random shooting of grizzlies such as in long gone years, grizzlies no longer hastily depart for parts unknown. They have become bolder at each passing year.
As such, the sound of a rifle report to a grizzly nowadays is much akin to ringing the dinner bell elsewhere (this is thought to be the reason that brought the grizzly onto the two hunters referred to in an earlier post on this thread. The sad thing was that one of the hunters had a bullet chambered but in the moment of panic, tried to chamber another cartridge in on top of it).
The problem is going to be compounded with the increased grizzly population explosion due to the hunting ban on the species.
It's good timing for this thread then.
I've had two instances in harvesting moose that heightened my alertness to the possible presence of grizzly. Both were late afternoon instances with one hunting partner. One, we took the moose out after dressing it out and the other was where we had to leave it behind after dressing it out and retrieved the following morning.
In the first instance, I dressed the moose while the partner kept gun at ready and just lent a hand to hold a leg at times. Nothing came of it although we had seen grizzly tracks earlier a few kliks away.
The second instance, downed the moose by a little lake. The truck was about a kilometer or two away on a new logging spur. There was an old abandoned hunting cabin with the gin pole at some distance from the kill site, much closer than the truck and with an old road to it to boot. Anyhow, we dressed the moose by flashlight and moonlight, sucked it up into a smallish spruce tree as best we could. Between the both of us, we had a far load on our bladders and as such left a good whiz circle around the perimeter of the tree. We also left articles of clothing draped on the tree and then departed for home some 25 kilometers away. We retired early and arose at three and were on the road shortly after. Found the old road opening in the twilight of dawn and drove down to the cabin. There was no disturbance of the carcass. We found that we could get a winch line on the moose and dragged it to the gin pole whereby we winched it up and conveniently plunked it into the bed of the truck and off we went.
In the other kills, gbear presence was never considered.
I have never done this, but I heard tell that if you have to leave the whole or parts of your kill behind, leave it submerged in water. Preferably running water as it carries any odors away that might emanate from the carcass.

MRP
09-21-2018, 05:42 AM
I've never left meat in the bush I've always packed it out always have a gas lamp in the truck, have helped a buddy of mine several times to get his out the next day. He always left lots of sent behind. He'dtake his T-shirt off lay it on the meat hang his jacket even his socks sometimes in a tree nearby
Lots of bear tracks around but nothing ever touched it.

I was wondering about them solar powered security lights you can get for your home see if I Costco they were only 30 bucks or so. Might be nice to have in camper to place near the meat or whatever

Island Roo
09-21-2018, 09:18 AM
I like the idea of a security light where meat is hanging.
When we quartered our moose after dark last year, there was grizzly sign everywhere. We put the ATV flood light over the kill site.
At least we could see what might be coming in - and it might keep some critters away.

HarryToolips
09-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Was out with one of my hunting partners for a 2 day sub alpine elk hunt: we glassed the bowl of land below and around us for the first part of the morning, and we were just about to head up to the next level of the mountain, when I first spotted the one..then came out the other..these 2 were literally right in the path of where we were going, and where we were going to hunt, as we had scouted 2 months ago and found elk beds in the area exactly where these 2 were..and we slept about 300 yards up from where these 2 were...love my pack alarm..anyway, we had to majorly alter our elk hunt plan a bit, as they were of course, no longer in that general area where we found them previous..

http://i.imgur.com/62g1dws.jpg (https://imgur.com/62g1dws)
https://imgur.com/62g1dws
https://imgur.com/62g1dwshttps://imgur.com/62g1dws

HarryToolips
09-22-2018, 01:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9aCEuoQ.jpg (https://imgur.com/9aCEuoQ)

Arctic Lake
09-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Hi Ron
Do you know ifr HBC will be offering another group buy on those pack alarms ? I do not know who is the Big Kahuna of HBC.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Ron.C
09-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Hi Ron
Do you know ifr HBC will be offering another group buy on those pack alarms ? I do not know who is the Big Kahuna of HBC.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

I'll get ahold of Marc and see if he wants to do another

Bugle M In
09-22-2018, 03:08 PM
I think this is a good thread as well.
Years ago, like 20- 30, we ended up packing out a lot of game.
My Dad, being my dad, and me being to young to have input, he would always say, "just leave the guns at camp":shock:
His reasoning was, the guns were just more crap to pack around, when it was just the 2 of us, with miles and miles
to go in out with full back boards.
The other reasoning was, never see Grizz, so don't worry about.
He was right, back then we never saw grizz or even sign, and even back, rarely even bbear.
Probably cause back then, there were "no road closures", so lots of guys just driving in and out.
And back then, gbear were open game.
Knew quite a few guys who pulled out gbear in the 9 -10 ft area....no bs.
Those bear knew to "vacate", pronto, when any human showed up.
It didn't take long, once leh was reduced to a minimum, for those bears to already start loitering around camp, especially
if game was around.
Now, they come in "just because"....(they like the BBQ), and bike seats.

Anyways, whatever one used to think, and their past experiences, I suggest to rethink it these days.
I just have seen enough now, to really take seriously.
As for my dad, yup, he gets it now....too many close calls for him the last few years.

tomcat
09-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Yes they need to be hunted. Fear of humans is generally an inheritable genetic trait but can also be learned. When predatory animals are not hunted, predators that are not genetically fearful of humans or have not learned to be fearful of humans do well on the abundance of food close to people and produce more non-fearful predators that may pose a serious threat to people, their pets and livestock. Thus, these predatory animals need to be hunted for human safety.

Arctic Lake
09-22-2018, 07:43 PM
I'll get ahold of Marc and see if he wants to do another

Thanks Ron ! As mentioned before I am in, and solid saying this !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-22-2018, 07:48 PM
I think this is a good thread as well.
Years ago, like 20- 30, we ended up packing out a lot of game.
My Dad, being my dad, and me being to young to have input, he would always say, "just leave the guns at camp":shock:
His reasoning was, the guns were just more crap to pack around, when it was just the 2 of us, with miles and miles
to go in out with full back boards.
The other reasoning was, never see Grizz, so don't worry about.
He was right, back then we never saw grizz or even sign, and even back, rarely even bbear.
Probably cause back then, there were "no road closures", so lots of guys just driving in and out.
And back then, gbear were open game.
Knew quite a few guys who pulled out gbear in the 9 -10 ft area....no bs.
Those bear knew to "vacate", pronto, when any human showed up.
It didn't take long, once leh was reduced to a minimum, for those bears to already start loitering around camp, especially
if game was around.
Now, they come in "just because"....(they like the BBQ), and bike seats.

Anyways, whatever one used to think, and their past experiences, I suggest to rethink it these days.
I just have seen enough now, to really take seriously.
As for my dad, yup, he gets it now....too many close calls for him the last few years.

Bugle M In
I was never into Grizzly hunting just not my thing Black Bear sure ! Still need to get my first one though, LOL !
Did you use A Trapper Nelson pack board back then ?
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
09-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Bugle M In
I was never into Grizzly hunting just not my thing Black Bear sure ! Still need to get my first one though, LOL !
Arctic Lake
Lets see if I can find you a picture!
My Dad has a trapper Nelson, and yup, still uses it!
I, on the other hand, use a wilderness wanderer, so that also gives you my time frame.
Don't have those fancy new Kuii thing a ma jiggees!!
Even have some old backpacks that were guaranteed to remove all your skin and take it into your flesh.
(thought it was blood from the goat...nope, it's was from me and the whole shirt was soaked!)

Arctic Lake
09-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Lets see if I can find you a picture!
My Dad has a trapper Nelson, and yup, still uses it!
I, on the other hand, use a wilderness wanderer, so that also gives you my time frame.
Don't have those fancy new Kuii thing a ma jiggees!!
Even have some old backpacks that were guaranteed to remove all your skin and take it into your flesh.
(thought it was blood from the goat...nope, it's was from me and the whole shirt was soaked!)

Would love to se some pictures ! That last sentence is priceless !
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
09-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Bugle M In
Arctic Lake

That below is my old man, with, yes, the Trapper Nelson.
I'm the good looking one:mrgreen:

https://i.imgur.com/079t7T7.jpg

hunter1947
09-23-2018, 04:00 AM
I hunt in a populated grizzly area and a person has to think about what should I do to help stop a grizzly bear encounter .

Solo hunting just me,,what I do when I hunt solo in the evening hunt if I get a elk down or moose I will clean it out put
logs under the animal to keep the animal off the warm ground chest up 1200 oc I leave it till the next morning.

Why I do this is I don't want to be packing out quarters etc most of the night solo the chances of a grizzly encounter is very hi.

If there where 2 or more people with me at my hunting camp then we would have as much bear defense as possible meaning lights
on shotguns or other,,bear spay ,bear banger etc and get the meat out that night.

Solo I would rather leave the animal in the bush that night and take that chance that there will be no bear on the animal the next
morning than having an encounter with a grizzly bear packing out meat in the dark,,my life is more important than a downed
animal..

Morning hunts are much better for hunts if you get a big game animal down a person has all day to get it out during the daylight hours.
Believe me I arrow-ed a 5x5 bull elk at 715 am in 2015 I got all back to my hunting camp solo by 530pm.

Bottom line is go with what your in stinks are and you should be making the correct decision..

Ron.C
09-23-2018, 06:06 AM

absolutely awesome picture!!!!!! It screams what hunting is all about on so many ways....

HarryToolips
09-23-2018, 10:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/9aCEuoQ.jpg (https://imgur.com/9aCEuoQ)

So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..

northof49
09-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Hard to say without understanding the lay of the land. I likely would have shifted 2kms or so (other aspect/drainage, etc) where mama won’t hear the bugling or gunshot. I typically have quite a few alternate locations that are good so no need to push it. Also time of day might change my approach. If early morning cover ground and create seperation. Prefer not to have to worry about bumping them late aft/early eve. All about managing risk and common sense. You trusted your instincts, and that seldom leads you astray. Good call.

Looking at photo again they look similar size....jumped the gun on mama thing. If both adults like look to be definitely you made the right call as they would be even more likely to come looking for trouble.

Arctic Lake
09-23-2018, 10:55 AM

Thanks for posting that picture ! Just a great photo ! The Old Trapper Nelson ,I think they sold a lot of those .
Arctic Lake

J_T
09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk.. During bow only season (early season), we continue to hunt an area. It's obviously good to know what's out there. But, there are a few factors determining whether we stay or move. Is the grizz shit full of berries? Or hair? Are they curious or aggressive to us? We've been pushed out of areas due to aggressive bears. But as I said, for the most part, we observe them and keep hunting.

Bugle M In
09-23-2018, 01:33 PM
So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..

I can tell you this.
On my own, I would most defiantly leave that area "TO Him"!
With a partner, I might go thru past him, but I would be thinking twice if a bull walked suddenly out as to if I would shoot,
it would have to be a "monster booner"!
With bow, no thanks, who needs the hassle, even with a partner, unless both of us are packing some sort of shotgun,
sorry, but I my hunting partner is a "terrible shot":smile:....so I don't trust the situation if it was just him with the slug gun.
Agreed, berries in scat does ease tensions, and if you see a lot of scat, most likely from the same bear, it means he is getting his fill.
However, I judge things not on the scat, BUT, rather on the amount of berries in the area.
Not as concerned of a bear eating like this photo on grubs and berries.
More concerned in running into a bear with a potential kill.
My area concerns me during elk hunting, cause quite often the bears there have drooped a moose or MD.
I have seen it, and the GO has seen it, and other accomplished hunters see it.
So yes, it might be berry season, but some bears are veterans at dropping red meat.

Bugle M In
09-23-2018, 01:36 PM
I hunt in a populated grizzly area and a person has to think about what should I do to help stop a grizzly bear encounter .

Solo hunting just me,,what I do when I hunt solo in the evening hunt if I get a elk down or moose I will clean it out put
logs under the animal to keep the animal off the warm ground chest up 1200 oc I leave it till the next morning.

Why I do this is I don't want to be packing out quarters etc most of the night solo the chances of a grizzly encounter is very hi.

If there where 2 or more people with me at my hunting camp then we would have as much bear defense as possible meaning lights
on shotguns or other,,bear spay ,bear banger etc and get the meat out that night.

Solo I would rather leave the animal in the bush that night and take that chance that there will be no bear on the animal the next
morning than having an encounter with a grizzly bear packing out meat in the dark,,my life is more important than a downed
animal..

Morning hunts are much better for hunts if you get a big game animal down a person has all day to get it out during the daylight hours.
Believe me I arrow-ed a 5x5 bull elk at 715 am in 2015 I got all back to my hunting camp solo by 530pm.

Bottom line is go with what your in stinks are and you should be making the correct decision..

good advice with the logs under the game to "cool"
Everyone, especially novices, need to know this once game is down, and you want to take the best care of the meat.
"Get it Cooled Down", ASAP.

And I agree with you hunter, about morning hunts over evening hunts, something else many need to consider.
Although I think many do, as it seems to me when I get back to camp in the dark, most others are already drunk.
How's your hunting going H47?

Bugle M In
09-23-2018, 01:45 PM
absolutely awesome picture!!!!!! It screams what hunting is all about on so many ways....

Thanks Ron!
Yup, it was the first season for my hunting partner, as the year before was his 1st time being anywehere having to do with hunting, so he brought a camera.
He had first crack at bull, but the shakes got him bad, and even after I put the bull down, it took several minutes for his
heartbeat and breath to come down.
(He was hooked after that!).
We missed are 1st chance at another bull at first light, and I thought the days hunt was over, as temps hit 30+!! by lunch.
And then suddenly, this guy starts bugling and coming from 700 yards out, thru the timber and across 400 yards of
cutblock, right to me.
Buddy was in between, but when chance was best, he just couldn't calm down.
I had to take him at full run, but only 10 yards from me.
And my dad was sitting to my left a couple hundred yards to my left, so he got to watch, and was there to intercept if
bull took flight, which was the direction he was running.
So yes, a great day, everyone got to see the action, and we had all day to get meat prepared.
We walked the meat "half way" back to camp, all of it, so it was away from the kill site, but, it takes a lot of work, and we
couldn't get it all to camp, so we hung it near the river.
That's us taking the first load to camp that night. (still had 7 kms to go)
And yes, it was a day for shorts, and big smiles!

sammer
09-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Grizzly's always make me nervous. I've only seen a few while out and about, and usually they are going the other way!
Yesterday while stalking a nice 3pt wt I found myself in an area with dozens of ravens in the trees making a hell of a racket.
Didn't stick around to see what was on, what I'm assuming to be, a gut pile. Made a bee line back the way I came and looked for another deer.

Question for you pack alarm owners. How long is the trip wire, and is it possible to make it longer with paracord or fishing line if necessary?

sam

HarryToolips
09-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Grizzly's always make me nervous. I've only seen a few while out and about, and usually they are going the other way!
Yesterday while stalking a nice 3pt wt I found myself in an area with dozens of ravens in the trees making a hell of a racket.
Didn't stick around to see what was on, what I'm assuming to be, a gut pile. Made a bee line back the way I came and looked for another deer.

Question for you pack alarm owners. How long is the trip wire, and is it possible to make it longer with paracord or fishing line if necessary?

sam
It is long, about the perimeter of a basketball court I'm told, though I haven't strung out that big of an area...I would say you could alter the wire, but the longer it is, I would think it would have a greater probability of not functioning properly, especially since you are then cutting into the wire and re-tying so compromising its structural integrity..

HarryToolips
09-23-2018, 08:30 PM
And thanks to to those above who commented on my question: I ultimately have a family to take care of and come back to, so I believe I made the right choice, but it was hard, as my partner and I felt really good about the area..

Ohwildwon
09-23-2018, 10:47 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/4466680/video-bear-encounter-kananaskis-campsite/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=Outbrain&utm_campaign=2015

northof49
09-23-2018, 11:51 PM
And thanks to to those above who commented on my question: I ultimately have a family to take care of and come back to, so I believe I made the right choice, but it was hard, as my partner and I felt really good about the area..

Was that two adults or sow with 3yr old. Look to be similar size in that photo and too large

mpotzold
09-24-2018, 12:32 AM

Exactly what we would do!

Even after seeing fresh grizz scat, tracks, I/we become much more cautious & generally leave especially when the area is bushy & close to water.

Never let your guard down. In the summer of 2007 we set camp in a large clearing late in the afternoon near Gaspard creek making a lot of noise cutting firewood, yelling,talking....& a large grizz stalked us as soon as we approached the creek bank after camp was set.
Right after getting our fishing rods ready the grizz charged us. Yelling & standing up is what changed his mind only feet away.

My weapon, a 375 H&H was by the camper less than 200 ft away. The only thing we had handy was a small knife & 2 stools.
Lesson learned. When in grizz country always be ready for a bear charge. Have an adequate weapon within easy reach & be proficient with it.

According to Shelton it had all the makings of a predatory charge after going through the full details.

Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.
I also carry a large razor sharp knife as a last resort.

newbie604
09-24-2018, 06:11 AM
i'm really enjoying reading this post. as a new hunter the more i can learn the better. thanks everyone one for sharing

HighCountryBC
09-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Anyone who's ever hunted the East or West Kootenays likely has a grizzly story or two they could share. It just comes with the territory. Keep hunting.

two-feet
09-24-2018, 06:57 AM
My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off

Astepanuk
09-24-2018, 07:15 AM
After just coming back from BC we encountered 9 bears in 7 days on Thursday alone we seen 6. Including a sow and cubs that climbed my meat tree and ate my cape from my mountain goat and half my meat. The meat was hanging 17ft in the tree if I could figure out how to upload pics I’d show you a trail cam pic of the grizzly in the tree.

Goose
09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Jeez, I hope he's alright, good for him, wish him well

My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off

scttlp86
09-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Was out in the East Kootenays this year. Saw 6 griz in 3 days. Ran in to a mother and a cub when coming down a parallel slide to the one we went up. Luckily we were being noisy as the elk had givin as the slip out the other way and the wind was blowing right to the bears so no surprise. Next day after running into those two we moved valleys.

scttlp86
09-24-2018, 09:08 AM

What did he do to stop the attack? Gun, knife Bear spray? or did the bear just not like the way he tasted

Arctic Lake
09-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Geez ! Not good to hear ,I wish him a speedy recovery !
Arctic Lake

BABBY
09-24-2018, 10:35 AM
I was up in Region 6 on Saturday. Hiked in to a spot at first light where I had found some fresh rubs the day before. It was a fairly large poplar stand and the only sign I was seeing was moose and a bit of wolf. Pretty limited sightlines but being late September I was fairly confident that I could call a bull in close enough for a shot. I got hunkered down in the poplars and started cow calling. After the third call, I heard a twig snap about 50 yards away. The bush was super quiet so I was really feeling good about detecting any movement. About 5 minutes after the twig snap, I was barely able to hear some footsteps heading my way. Heart pumping, focussing on controlling my breathing, planning my possible shooting lanes - all the great stuff when you have a bull coming in. The footsteps got a bit clearer. I figured the bull was only about 20 yards away hidden by a little draw. I was a bit confused that I couldn't make out a rack moving along that draw so close. Maybe a small bull? Maybe I miscalculated the depth of that draw? Then I see just a tiny brown patch moving 30 feet away. Rifle up, I get ready to see my bull. Then Mr. Grizzly pops out! 30 feet away!! He swings his head my way and I take a step to my right. He sees me, spins around and takes off down the hill sounding like someone was driving a jeep through the bush. Whew!!!!

All I could think of was "What if the bush had been a bit noisier?" I think I would not have heard him. I mean I'm still, 2 days later, shook up by how quiet that Grizz came in. Unbelievable! They're stealthy buggers!!

I've been hunting moose this way for decades. It's absolutely my favourite way to hunt. But in the last 3 years, I've called in coyotes, wolves, and now a G-Bear. Might have to start rethinking my tactics......

Astepanuk
09-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Here are the pictures of the bears entering into our Camp area. Once we realized they had climbed the tree to get my meat we moved a trail cam to an adjacent tree to watch the actions I'm sure most of you have never seen pictures like these.

Enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/gmbyo3j.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/C7jWGc5.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/BiEVZEQ.jpg

cptnoblivious
09-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Anything can happen with Gbears. Listen to the Meat Eater podcast called 'Meat Tree'. Its an eye opener for sure.

I just finished listening to that a few days ago. The fact that they all walked away, with only soiled underwear instead of pulling out a guy severely mauled is amazing.

Have had bears in moose camp, but never on the kill, but that may just be related to where and what I hunt now, been a long time since I've been moose hunting (sadly).

Someone earlier asked about defining grizzly country. If I see this, I'm probably in Gcountry.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U2-OXX1bAvF-U1pYGvL_3yYb6iZYZVs2RvrfFuNxAs2l876X3NQcA9PH_bvi1t LF8ogmtXVNJRPDyKSCzQPEeKulSCjxSUfEWs3jmxMsO2_41y5p XYrfYJ1B77mKMCqHoPSQ4cHyfJaEH1KiMsC6xdlwWNDu14_RGD BfPPmgsgYDHDyk8k24Bh5H4g3DmZpe4ue2Fny2jP7Mbl9He6Qu 0zBdhZAJo_E5OSh2lHUikZEMvbA96H_CixOILY_4jYWjucKLRB 7w5FzC9Jbt8cMDWJ9d5Fh_lXN5i9Gu0xKJrJURpGfoYTOy5Ffq qpuww1MxK4RbFbXf_5H2IMGOop-7czFI1H4nkAA7g3spbnUKZN5OK-h69wen8pp_gdgN7NX_XJqOlxsj2-XNnRHaFhYFXQlzRlD0q8z-rEjmu4ASyEByfuZw68U2x1QMLA_4A17p3qzIaSgp-UnbZxeOh97ERm4ApbFOAxXr-H-2iTqpCj-mmoNlNFldMkHUXDSPtTbQLvEiDJPnWrty-a2NuBbTsES2KKJaBFLdNYh2xaBY99nhGabODTztpt-AEYaWH_c8v9WI3pR9HA5xye4OPVbGZHAkYQkYc9WmgrhVk7vtO ascwa9PhjnqEk-qCGDwyLQR9qakXITkmUNTxHJOAfhbj-MLnIpebeebyOpMYWTFzTKliSkCfwY_yzuS1Q=w1659-h933-no
From last weeks hunting trip with heavy rain overnight, just a little guy, but wasn't there long before I was.

J_T
09-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Guys with scars from contact with G-bears in the EK is getting to be about as common as dog boxes in the back of pickups. If we chose to avoid Grizzly country, we'd never leave the city.

I spend a ton of time solo in bear country (its all bear country) and a lot of the time with no more defense than my bush skills. I cut a lot of trail and use cameras in the off season. I'm in the bush year round. I know in one area I hunt, I have a large boar, a small boar, two 4 year old twins, a sow with a cub, and a sow with two cubs. All grizzly. On one occasion last summer, I walked onto a kill. Just pick up the pace and move on quickly.

One area we have decided not to return to had a total of 11 grizzlies. One large aggressive (fast) boar that was just to risky to spend time around. They are aggressive to protect home, food and young. Stay alert and pay attention. If your number comes up, then you have something to boast about on social media.

mpotzold
09-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Here are the pictures of the bears entering into our Camp area. Once we realized they had climbed the tree to get my meat we moved a trail cam to an adjacent tree to watch the actions I'm sure most of you have never seen pictures like these.

Enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/gmbyo3j.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/C7jWGc5.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/BiEVZEQ.jpg

Wow! GREAT PHOTOS!
So much for climbing a tree to get away from a grizz!:shock::smile:

northof49
09-24-2018, 07:22 PM
I was up in Region 6 on Saturday. Hiked in to a spot at first light where I had found some fresh rubs the day before. It was a fairly large poplar stand and the only sign I was seeing was moose and a bit of wolf. Pretty limited sightlines but being late September I was fairly confident that I could call a bull in close enough for a shot. I got hunkered down in the poplars and started cow calling. After the third call, I heard a twig snap about 50 yards away. The bush was super quiet so I was really feeling good about detecting any movement. About 5 minutes after the twig snap, I was barely able to hear some footsteps heading my way. Heart pumping, focussing on controlling my breathing, planning my possible shooting lanes - all the great stuff when you have a bull coming in. The footsteps got a bit clearer. I figured the bull was only about 20 yards away hidden by a little draw. I was a bit confused that I couldn't make out a rack moving along that draw so close. Maybe a small bull? Maybe I miscalculated the depth of that draw? Then I see just a tiny brown patch moving 30 feet away. Rifle up, I get ready to see my bull. Then Mr. Grizzly pops out! 30 feet away!! He swings his head my way and I take a step to my right. He sees me, spins around and takes off down the hill sounding like someone was driving a jeep through the bush. Whew!!!!

All I could think of was "What if the bush had been a bit noisier?" I think I would not have heard him. I mean I'm still, 2 days later, shook up by how quiet that Grizz came in. Unbelievable! They're stealthy buggers!!

I've been hunting moose this way for decades. It's absolutely my favourite way to hunt. But in the last 3 years, I've called in coyotes, wolves, and now a G-Bear. Might have to start rethinking my tactics......

Good you are ok....yes they are very sneaky quiet. Exactly as per my post #6. Speaking from lots of experience which is why I don’t mess around processing/packing in the dark. Have frequently called them in and always in evenings.

j270wsm
09-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Too bad about your cape and meat but you did get aome awesome pics.

A lot of people don't realize that Grizzlies can/will climb trees if the branches are big enough.

Ohwildwon
09-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Bears are athletes extraordinaire...

Unless they are handicapped by injury, over weight, or to old and or some how unmotivated, there strength and endurance are incredible!

I have video from one of my cams of big boars scaling tree's 6" in diameter.

Running up the tree with there back feet while grabbing the tree with, hell, may as well call them hands!

If your going to hang your food or harvest from a tree, you better shape-shift into a Bear and realize what they can do, or your wasting your time!

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2018, 09:39 PM

WOW ! Yup would have being TENSE for Sure ! :tongue: Glad it worked out for you ! RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2018, 09:42 PM

Holy Crap ! Sorry to hear That - BUT GREAT to hear he was not seriously injured ! Can you give more details about the attack - like what lead up to it etc - Thanks RJ

HarryToolips
09-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Was that two adults or sow with 3yr old. Look to be similar size in that photo and too large
The one upper one in the photo I thought to be quite a bit bigger?? Would they be 2 juveniles that just left their mother, or one is the mother with a more mature cub??

HarryToolips
09-24-2018, 09:52 PM

Even after seeing fresh grizz scat, tracks, I/we become much more cautious & generally leave especially when the area is bushy & close to water.

Never let your guard down. In the summer of 2007 we set camp in a large clearing late in the afternoon near Gaspard creek making a lot of noise cutting firewood, yelling,talking....& a large grizz stalked us as soon as we approached the creek bank after camp was set.
Right after getting our fishing rods ready the grizz charged us. Yelling & standing up is what changed his mind only feet away.

My weapon, a 375 H&H was by the camper less than 200 ft away. The only thing we had handy was a small knife & 2 stools.
Lesson learned. When in grizz country always be ready for a bear charge. Have an adequate weapon within easy reach & be proficient with it.

According to Shelton it had all the makings of a predatory charge after going through the full details.

Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.

Wow that's crazy, and that's a lot of grains to stop a griz, sounds like a good idea..

HarryToolips
09-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Glad that he's dealing with only minor injuries from what your describing, thank God....

HarryToolips
09-24-2018, 09:54 PM
After just coming back from BC we encountered 9 bears in 7 days on Thursday alone we seen 6. Including a sow and cubs that climbed my meat tree and ate my cape from my mountain goat and half my meat. The meat was hanging 17ft in the tree if I could figure out how to upload pics I’d show you a trail cam pic of the grizzly in the tree.
Sorry to hear that about your Mtn goat..

180grainer
09-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Guy should be able to keep the hide of that bear given the circumstances.

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2018, 11:00 PM
mpotzold :) - Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.

Why is EVE using 325 FTX bullets ? there NOT a great penetrator - is it because of recoil ? just wondering - RJ

Stranger In The Woods
09-25-2018, 04:05 PM
U still looking for people for group buy for the pack alarm , i am interested...

mpotzold
09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
mpotzold :) - Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.

Why is EVE using 325 FTX bullets ? there NOT a great penetrator - is it because of recoil ? just wondering - RJ

Yes!

She never goes hunting alone. I'm always close by & if we part we have instant ICOM radio contact. She also stays at camp for part of the day.
Her rifle is sighted in using only Leverevolutions & she has no problem with the recoil.

REMINGTON JIM
09-25-2018, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;2037392]Yes!

She never goes hunting alone. I'm always close by & if we part we have instant ICOM radio contact. She also stays at camp for part of the day.
Her rifle is sighted in using only Leverevolutions & she has no problem with the recoil.

OK i was just wondering BECAUSE the FTX is NOT a GREAT bullet to use as a PROTECTOR bullet against BEARS and you seem to be Pretty Much Protecting yourselfs against BEARS as i am too ! I would think you would have BETTER ammo for the Misses to use ! :grin: jmo RJ

northof49
09-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Few years back, saw 35 diff gtizz in 2 days...different drainages no repeats. That includes fam units.

HarryToolips
09-26-2018, 06:41 AM
^^^^wow, and did you pack any meat out?? Have any problems with any?

Jelvis
09-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Walk softly and carry a big gun Hahahahahaha - and don't put that garlic ring around yer neck lol --

Jelly ( Big Bear ) Mountain Top Bear Buster Boom Boom Jeff ree On -- at Save- on-Foods -- garlic rings 2 - 4 - 1
------------------------------------------------------- Big Bear --------------------------------------------------------------

REMINGTON JIM
09-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Few years back, saw 35 diff gtizz in 2 days...different drainages no repeats. That includes fam units.

Must of Being a G BEAR Convention ! :shock: :smile: RJ

Deer_Slayer
09-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Maybe at this time you are best to road hunt if you're with a young kid and you're inexperienced. Nail a moose close to road and work on it fast and get it in truck. If you have a quad you can drag moose to logging road and work on it safer. Just a thought. Good luck

LBM
09-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Another case showing that shooting the bear wasn't necessary.

Jimbob
09-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Maybe at this time you are best to road hunt if you're with a young kid and you're inexperienced. Nail a moose close to road and work on it fast and get it in truck. If you have a quad you can drag moose to logging road and work on it safer. Just a thought. Good luck

I am an experienced hunter but new to BC, so just no experience with Griz. I am not overly concerned but wanted to see what tips/tactics people used to be safe.

Wild one
09-26-2018, 07:51 PM
I never realized how many hunters stress this much about bears and bear protection

rustybarrel
09-27-2018, 08:45 AM
I used to be one of those guys that could care less about running into a Grizzly since I hunt areas that I “thought” were Grizzle free/rare/ or Only other guys bump into them.Well 15 years ago a friend and I went black bear hunting not too far from Squamish(before folks agreed that there were Grizzlies around there too), and we went walking up a slash to look at a road to see if we could get through.We did not take our rifles, and walked 1/2 mile and looked at a huge berry field...saw a cub, laughed at how cute it was, then another, then I said look how brown that bear is,and it sure doesn’t look like black bear cub.Pull up binos and there is a good size sow about 100yds away- Brown,hump on neck- clear as day its a Griz.My friend says ...”your an idiot, it’s a brown phase, black bear”...so I hand him my binos. “ shit, that a Griz!”.He looks at me,I look at him,and we realize we have no guns.The look on his face( and mine too) was like we just saw a ghost.I was worried, but we quickly backed out of there and hustled back to the truck.
Few years later I heard other folks were seeing Grizz closer to Squamish....so we’re not seeing things.
The point of my ramble is that “ you never know”.When I hunt I don’t look for a Grizzly around every tree stump, but I do feel better with 7mm remmag on my back.I live in Coquitlam and regularly bump into good size black bears walking my dog around Burke Mnt.With everyone now “in love” with bears,and wanting to have them as a pet, along with the Grizz hunting ban, I think Grizz will become more plentiful, just like Black bears have become as common as crows around here.
If your a Grizz, why not move closer to cheap, easy food? Humans are no harm now,and they might even taste good...

Wild one
09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
I used to be one of those guys that could care less about running into a Grizzly since I hunt areas that I “thought” were Grizzle free/rare/ or Only other guys bump into them.Well 15 years ago a friend and I went black bear hunting not too far from Squamish(before folks agreed that there were Grizzlies around there too), and we went walking up a slash to look at a road to see if we could get through.We did not take our rifles, and walked 1/2 mile and looked at a huge berry field...saw a cub, laughed at how cute it was, then another, then I said look how brown that bear is,and it sure doesn’t look like black bear cub.Pull up binos and there is a good size sow about 100yds away- Brown,hump on neck- clear as day its a Griz.My friend says ...”your an idiot, it’s a brown phase, black bear”...so I hand him my binos. “ shit, that a Griz!”.He looks at me,I look at him,and we realize we have no guns.The look on his face( and mine too) was like we just saw a ghost.I was worried, but we quickly backed out of there and hustled back to the truck.
Few years later I heard other folks were seeing Grizz closer to Squamish....so we’re not seeing things.
The point of my ramble is that “ you never know”.When I hunt I don’t look for a Grizzly around every tree stump, but I do feel better with 7mm remmag on my back.I live in Coquitlam and regularly bump into good size black bears walking my dog around Burke Mnt.With everyone now “in love” with bears,and wanting to have them as a pet, along with the Grizz hunting ban, I think Grizz will become more plentiful, just like Black bears have become as common as crows around here.
If your a Grizz, why not move closer to cheap, easy food? Humans are no harm now,and they might even taste good...

See I don’t understand why you were so worried. I have hunted them with bow and muzzleloader but have not tagged one because of being picky and the boars I wanted would run away or slink off during the stalk. I have fished and camped in many areas with grizzly around no gun. I have crossed paths with them many times throughout BC and western Alberta

Yes they should be respected and can be dangerous but really they are not out to kill everything they cross paths with lol

scttlp86
09-27-2018, 07:26 PM
See I don’t understand why you were so worried. I have hunted them with bow and muzzleloader but have not tagged one because of being picky and the boars I wanted would run away or slink off during the stalk. I have fished and camped in many areas with grizzly around no gun. I have crossed paths with them many times throughout BC and western Alberta

Yes they should be respected and can be dangerous but really they are not out to kill everything they cross paths with lol

I think using caution and having tools to protect yourself is wise. Its kind of like wearing your seatbelt when driving, you never know when that jack ass is going to cut you off

scttlp86
09-27-2018, 07:29 PM
I think using caution and having tools to protect yourself is wise. Its kind of like wearing your seatbelt when driving, you never know when that jack ass is going to cut you off

and for those of us that don't spend allot of time around them maybe don't have the knowledge of bear behavior or habits that can keep us out of their path

mpotzold
09-27-2018, 08:32 PM

Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

A bear spray may or may not ward off a curious bear but why take a chance!

Have an adequate weapon ready for instant use especially in the bushy, watery areas & carry a large knife.

Personally I have zero fear of black bear but take extra precautions when I see fresh grizz signs.

Some HBC members have been attacked by grizz while hunting or scouting.
Here's one from 2013

The sow was sprayed in the face to no avail. The shotgun saved the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grizzly-bear-chewed-on-b-c-man-in-attack-near-fernie-1.1329837

northof49
09-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Treadwell figured gbears were no big deal.....then his luck ran out.

rustybarrel
09-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify...Iam not the bravest man by any means;however, when I was a young buck& going to UBC, I guided on a northern coastal river for steelhead in the summers.The guy I worked for was also a premier Grizzly & Goat hunting guide out of Bella Coola.He was a very rugged, self made guy-and very knowledgeable/respected hunting & fishing guide.He did not tell “tales”...was old school, no BS.A tough guy to work for.
He told me about Grizzly encounters he and his hunters had that literally scared the shit out of me and the others who heard them.He also flew me over some very huge Grizzly bears in the Dean, Kimsquit, Sustut valleys in his Supercub.When you see a record class silvertip running at full speed( like a horse at full gallop) below your plane, and it looks as big as the Supercub...you grow some respect.
Walk through 6-7 foot high, thick as hell, Devils club in heavy, dark, first growth forest after hearing about how Grizzlies stalked him and a hunter the year before in the next valley over,and I dare you not to be making sure your rifle has a round in it and your magazine is full.
One thing he told me and has stuck, is that Grizzlies are individuals and unpredictable, they have unique personalities- like us.You never know when you may run into a one that is just a nasty SOB, and wants to rip you to shreds,or pissed cause you bumped too close to his buried kill, or is a Sow with cubs that is agitated because some Bore has been trying to kill her cubs...If Grizzlies were predictable, and nothing to be concerned about, we would not have people getting mauled and killed. They deserve respect.

northof49
09-27-2018, 09:31 PM
^^^^^this is exactly correct

Wild one
09-28-2018, 05:06 AM

Nothing wrong with that but I don’t want to be anywhere near the guy with a fear problem of grizzly if crap hits the fan because everything but the bear is getting shot. Or the guy who feels the need to shoot or shoot at a grizz because it’s within a 100yards

This is my bigger issue ^^

If grizzly scare the crap out of you odds are in a real oh crap moment you are going to have an empty clip, and Sh!t in your pants praying the noise and the fact you stink makes the grizzly change it’s mind

Fully aware grizzly can chew on you but this is far from the biggest threat in the bush. There is a % of bad black bear out there too and most hunters are likely to cross bath with them before a bad grizzly because of black bears covering so many different habitats vs grizzly. Yet the guy who spends a week a year in grizzly territory thinks he is going to be eaten by a grizzly

This is nothing about being manly it’s I am worried about Hunters in the bush fearing the boogeyman more then the grizzlies. Someone who is scared is less predictable then a bear

mpotzold
09-28-2018, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;2037937]Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

Case in point!

California –where black bears are hunted. 322 have been taken as of yesterday. Season open until 1700 are killed.
Here’s a bear encounter from 2 days ago. Notice how quickly the bear hightailed it once he smelled a human. Hunting instills fear of humans in bears be they black or grizz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCxNtFSJN0&feature=youtu.be

STORY-By dthome
"I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!
Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy:"

HappyJack
09-28-2018, 09:15 PM
When you see more bears than moose, there are too many bears. I suspect in a couple of years there will be regular grizzly mauling going on

Wild one
09-29-2018, 04:49 AM
No lack of bears that I agree

As for the people having bears in camp every night how was there camp? I always get a laugh out of the guys who tell me about bear problems in camp well tossing leftovers or dumping grease from a frying pan 10 feet away. Majority of the hunters with bears in camp is a combo of how they keep their camp and location they chose. Sometimes the issue is the habits of those who camped there just before you as well

Yes at times you get a visitor with a perfect camp but hey you’re in the bush where they live

If someone is having bear problems in camp all the time it might be wise to start looking at what is attracting them instead of just going wow there is lots of bears here

LBM
09-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Fully agree!

A bear spray may or may not ward off a curious bear but why take a chance!

Have an adequate weapon ready for instant use especially in the bushy, watery areas & carry a large knife.

Personally I have zero fear of black bear but take extra precautions when I see fresh grizz signs.

Some HBC members have been attacked by grizz while hunting or scouting.
Here's one from 2013

The sow was sprayed in the face to no avail. The shotgun saved the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grizzly-bear-chewed-on-b-c-man-in-attack-near-fernie-1.1329837

Did you even read the article , says the bear still proceded to pursue knock down and chew on the individual after being shot. How is that saving the day.
Also according to the article provided were does it say the bear was sprayed in the face. I realize this is an old article but wonder if the bear was ever found and if so
what happened to the cub as well. have helped on more then a few case were animals have been put down for being deemed a problem/ not acting normally and when
skinned they have shotgun pellets in them.

LBM
09-30-2018, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;2037937]Fully agree!

Case in point!

California –where black bears are hunted. 322 have been taken as of yesterday. Season open until 1700 are killed.
Here’s a bear encounter from 2 days ago. Notice how quickly the bear hightailed it once he smelled a human. Hunting instills fear of humans in bears be they black or grizz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCxNtFSJN0&feature=youtu.be

STORY-By dthome
"I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!
Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy:"

The problem is the amount of humans in the outdoors now days, don't no about other areas but in the EK they are every where at all seasons of the year. Don't believe the hunting installs fear theory
at all either. Bears have been hunted in B.C. all the time up intill this past spring for grizzly and it didn't change any thing. More people in the outdoors leads to more incounters and bears being more
use to humans .

LBM
09-30-2018, 11:02 AM
No lack of bears that I agree

As for the people having bears in camp every night how was there camp? I always get a laugh out of the guys who tell me about bear problems in camp well tossing leftovers or dumping grease from a frying pan 10 feet away. Majority of the hunters with bears in camp is a combo of how they keep their camp and location they chose. Sometimes the issue is the habits of those who camped there just before you as well

Yes at times you get a visitor with a perfect camp but hey you’re in the bush where they live

If someone is having bear problems in camp all the time it might be wise to start looking at what is attracting them instead of just going wow there is lots of bears here

Some good points here, a few have complained about certain areas here in the EK about the bears around there camps in the fall but what they may not no is that with in 1 or 2 kilometers of these camp
sights during the late fall and winter is trappers bait piles. Now many of these bears are there into the winter, there tracks have been seen into january. they are then back there in the early spring, shortly
after campers start using the camp grounds and bears follow there nose to food. so even though these bears are out in the bush they may very well be being habitutated to a food source by humans.
now just look on this site alone where others say they are going to go start dumping bait for predators and many dump it where the easiest access is for that time of year.
I just drove a km out of town last week to a view point ravens all over and theres the rib cage of an elk thrown there this week a half km from town same thing but moose now this happens here every year
and those that do it are the same ones that complain about bears etc coming into town, and again from the looks of things this happens all over.

northof49
09-30-2018, 11:15 AM
http://sundancetimes.com/gillette-man-recounts-grizzly-bear-attack/

LBM
09-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Nothing wrong with that but I don’t want to be anywhere near the guy with a fear problem of grizzly if crap hits the fan because everything but the bear is getting shot. Or the guy who feels the need to shoot or shoot at a grizz because it’s within a 100yards

This is my bigger issue ^^

If grizzly scare the crap out of you odds are in a real oh crap moment you are going to have an empty clip, and Sh!t in your pants praying the noise and the fact you stink makes the grizzly change it’s mind

Fully aware grizzly can chew on you but this is far from the biggest threat in the bush. There is a % of bad black bear out there too and most hunters are likely to cross bath with them before a bad grizzly because of black bears covering so many different habitats vs grizzly. Yet the guy who spends a week a year in grizzly territory thinks he is going to be eaten by a grizzly

This is nothing about being manly it’s I am worried about Hunters in the bush fearing the boogeyman more then the grizzlies. Someone who is scared is less predictable then a bear

More good points, lots of things that are a bigger threat. Have a look at the numbers from the International hunter education association, people shot by hunters yearly in US and Canada it is less then 1000 with less then 75 of those being fatal.
Tree stand accidents are around 6000 a year, lots of worse things out there, as one other person on a bear attack site mentioned much greater chance of getting hurt on your drive to the outdoors.

northof49
09-30-2018, 05:16 PM
For any that didn’t hear about this one a few years ago in Houston. Don’t recall it getting a lot of coverage at the time.....fairly horrific ordeal

http://www.anglerstonic.com/2012/10/nasty-bear-attack-in-british-columbia/

barongan
10-01-2018, 08:36 AM
Following!this seems like a very interesting threadhttp://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

Arctic Lake
10-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Another member made reference to this man , Gary Shelton ! I have one of his books and I need to read it !
Arctic Lake

quadrakid
10-01-2018, 09:13 AM
There are plenty of things we can do to avoid bear encounters. As i get older the bear that worries me is the predatory black bear. Most of us are pretty comfortable around black bears and they don,t get the respect we give to grizzlies.Watch the videos or read up on predatory black bear attacks,scary stuff.

mpotzold
10-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Did you even read the article , says the bear still proceded to pursue knock down and chew on the individual after being shot. How is that saving the day.
Also according to the article provided were does it say the bear was sprayed in the face. I realize this is an old article but wonder if the bear was ever found and if so
what happened to the cub as well. have helped on more then a few case were animals have been put down for being deemed a problem/ not acting normally and when
skinned they have shotgun pellets in them.

Maybe this will help!

Article-
Braconnier said the bear hit him four times, and on the third time, the sow grabbed his arm and flung him through the air.
“When I landed, I grabbed my pepper spray. When she came at me again, she was at an arm’s distance as I used the bear spray on her. It deterred her but she still ran me over. In two lunges she was back up the hill towards Keith. I could hear him screaming but I couldn’t see a thing,” he said.

While Braconnier was screaming, Farkas fumbled with the straps on his backpack, trying to get the gun out. Then, with shaky hands, he loaded the gun.
“I saw her paws. I took one shot. She stood up and seemed to writhe in pain like the shot had connected with her. Like lightning, she was around a corner and coming at me airborne from above,” said Farkas.
“She clawed me and pushed me back. I landed on my back in the most terrifying position with my head downhill and my feet uphill. I was screaming. Her face was one foot away from my boot and she turned around and left.”

Notes
-When she was at an arm's distance & Braconnier was able to reach & aim the spray it's obvious that it wasn't her ass end he sprayed. Also read it somewhere that her face was sprayed.

-Spray was used first & had little effect if any. The sprayed bear went and charged the second guy that more than likely wounded her as she charged. She hardly clawed the guy before escaping. -So without the gun more than likely both would have been bear scat.

Lesson learned

Farkas said that he would practice & become more proficient with the gun before venturing into grizzly country.
Didn’t say what was in the shotgun shell.

My defender is always loaded with 3”mag Brenneke when at camp or when sometimes retrieving game.

mpotzold
10-01-2018, 09:51 AM
[quote=mpotzold;2038153]

the problem is the amount of humans in the outdoors now days, don't no about other areas but in the ek they are every where at all seasons of the year.Don't believe the hunting installs fear theory
at all either. Bears have been hunted in b.c. All the time up intill this past spring for grizzly and it didn't change any thing. More people in the outdoors leads to more incounters and bears being more
use to humans .

I trust the experts.

Gary Shelton the grizzly bear expert extraordinaire believes that grizzly bear should be hunted to instill fear of men. Don’t forged he has been living in a grizzly infested area for many years & knows what makes them tick.
We all know that tree huggers backed up by their chosen so called scientist will say there is no connection between hunting & fear. The same group also recommends spray over gun BS.

Article-
Preserving the fear of man: Hunting grizzly bears instills that they should stay away from man. Grizzlys that are not hunted can lose their respect and fear of man by encountering man and civilization. Rouge grizzlys have been known to attack livestock, encroach on urban areas, and attack humans. The hunting of grizzly bears pushes the bears further into the wilderness and makes them realize that man presents a threat. Contrary to what idealistic hippies might believe, we cant live in harmony with dangerous top of the food chain predators, they deserve their vast wilderness space away from urban areas. Grizzlys cannot co-habitate with man unlike the adaptable coyote and black bear.
http://www.successfulhunting.com/2008/07/16/grizzly-bear-trophy-hunting-a-positive-sustainable-activity/

northof49
10-01-2018, 07:48 PM
There are plenty of things we can do to avoid bear encounters. As i get older the bear that worries me is the predatory black bear. Most of us are pretty comfortable around black bears and they don,t get the respect we give to grizzlies.Watch the videos or read up on predatory black bear attacks,scary stuff.

Predatory black bears are bad news and best given a quick dirt nap. Think of the next unsuspecting person to come along who might not have a firearm. If no firearm or means of escape a predatory black bear situation will most likely escalate and become dire. Griz more likely to be explosive encounter and less time to react than with black bear....more of a need to react without hesitation in these situations.

Keta1969
10-01-2018, 08:19 PM
I work in an industry that requires monthly safety drills and apply this to hunting in bear country. Make a point of going through the motions of what you will do if encountering a bear. How close before you shoot, scope on low power, scope cover off, safety off or cycle a round depending on your preference. Talk it over if hunting with a partner. Then practise it a few times because in a real situation you don't want nor have time to think about everything. Just say to yourself bear!!! and see how you do. Only ever had on close call and that was with a black bear and it drove home the importance of planning and practise. Doesn't take much but you have to do it.

mpotzold
10-01-2018, 10:01 PM
I work in an industry that requires monthly safety drills and apply this to hunting in bear country. Make a point of going through the motions of what you will do if encountering a bear. How close before you shoot, scope on low power, scope cover off, safety off or cycle a round depending on your preference. Talk it over if hunting with a partner. Then practise it a few times because in a real situation you don't want nor have time to think about everything. Just say to yourself bear!!! and see how you do. Only ever had on close call and that was with a black bear and it drove home the importance of planning and practise. Doesn't take much but you have to do it.

Eve saw the grizzly just behind the small tree on the bank top as he started the charge. His head was low with his ears back. It was about 40 yards+ away.
My comfort zone is about 30 yards so had my rifle been handy I would have shot him right away.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/land51/022_zpshuk2ifna.jpg~original

Wild one
10-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Eve saw the grizzly just behind the small tree on the bank top as he started the charge. His head was low with his ears back. It was about 40 yards+ away.
My comfort zone is about 30 yards so had my rifle been handy I would have shot him right away.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/land51/022_zpshuk2ifna.jpg~original

Your 30yards rule is for any bear or bears showing aggressive behaviour? If the answer is aggressive behaviour explain what you would call aggressive?

northof49
10-02-2018, 07:45 AM
^^^ stood toe to toe at 12ft with large griz that snuck in to calling....gun on base of neck when he stood up and didn’t need to shoot....any forward movement at that point and would have. Every situation is different. Understanding body language and situation at hand is key. Charging bear different situation altogether.....dirt nap at about 15yds if no sign of breaking off.... but again every situation is different. If with my wife or kids I likely would shoot sooner.

Wild one
10-02-2018, 08:09 AM
^^^ stood toe to toe at 12ft with large griz that snuck in to calling....gun on base of neck when he stood up and didn’t need to shoot....any forward movement at that point and would have. Every situation is different. Understanding body language and situation at hand is key. Charging bear different situation altogether.....dirt nap at about 15yds if no sign of breaking off.... but again every situation is different. If with my wife or kids I likely would shoot sooner.

I would agree 100% and sounds like you respect the fact a bear can attack but are well aware a close encounter with a grizzly does not need to end with a dead bear or you getting chewed on

Someone who chooses to always carry a firearm in bear county I have no issue with as long as they do so with the correct mentality

I don’t choose to carry a firearm in bear country unless I am hunting with it but that is my choice. That said I have tagged a couple black bear for being aggressive at close range. This spring the black bear I tagged was because he bluff charged when I snuck up for a closer look

mpotzold
10-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Your 30yards rule is for any bear or bears showing aggressive behaviour? If the answer is aggressive behaviour explain what you would call aggressive?

Running at full speed with ears laid back & head close to ground is what I would consider aggressive so in general would yell as loud as possible before shooting when entering the comfort zone. I don't hunt animals that we don't eat so have zero experience hunting bears.

Wild one
10-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Running at full speed with ears laid back & head close to ground is what I would consider aggressive so in general would yell as loud as possible before shooting when entering the comfort zone. I don't hunt animals that we don't eat so have zero experience hunting bears.

Completely acceptable defence situation

At 30 yards full on charge from a grizzly if you’re not on target and ready odds are you won’t even get a shot off let alone chance to yell. They are stupid fast and in a situation like that you are more then likely at the mercy of the bear if it’s intending on an attack or bluff.

I have been bluffed by a black bear in the thick stuff at that range and can tell you when he ran past me all I had time for was my heart to jump. Did not see this bear till he was coming before that I was trying to figure out what was in the bush with me

Yes with both knowledge and a gun you can be in a helpless oh crap moment.

The most effective is knowledge and not getting into a bad spot with bears. Been bluffed many times and all but 2 were from me knowingly pushing my luck. The 2 that were not I am glad they were not a charge with true intent because there was no time to respond

Don’t hunt bear is your choice but in my opinion all hunters should take the time to learn bear body language and how to avoid getting into a spot with a bear. I only learned from hunting them pushing my luck at times. Its hard to explain how to truly read them without being able to point out what a bear is doing firsthand

tomcat
10-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Having had experience with both aggressive black and grizzly bears while working in the bush, I totally agree with "Wild one's" post. I have been ready to shoot several times but never had to by standing my ground and talking calmly to the bear.

Wild one
10-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Having had experience with both aggressive black and grizzly bears while working in the bush, I totally agree with "Wild one's" post. I have been ready to shoot several times but never had to by standing my ground and talking calmly to the bear.

Staying calm doing as you have often is the best approach and have done the same

In my opinion most often a bear does not want to risk physical confrontation and is often trying to scare you well looking for a way out. People seem to forget even though a bear is physically powerful bears can’t seek medical aid so injury can mean slow death

But there are those A holes who just don’t care or they are willing to risk it, and there is the predatory bears unfortunately that don’t carry name tags lol

caddisguy
10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
I've only met one bear that I am convinced wants to kill me. To be fair, I am trying to kill him too though. Ongoing saga since Spring 2017. 3 close encounters (5 yards, 7 yards and 6 inches) and some lead flying from 180 yards. One day... one day. I wonder if he is thinking about me right now lol

Most bears I run into (black bears only) are complete wusses. Never been charged by any others (dozens of surprise 3-15 yard encounters) ... almost tripped on and accidentally cornered one once too. Almost been run over but none have tried to maul me. They run and then run some more, thumping and crashing off into the distance out of ear shot. I always figure half the bear crap I see in the timber is from when the bear heard a grouse flush or a twig fall lol

I figure grizz are a different story though... more likely to bully a hunter out of a kill or claim said kill between trips. I'd keep my guard up processing or returning to a kill sight in grizzly area even if that makes me a paranoid 604 :) ... more scared of cats though... bit of a phobia