PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa

bcshadow
09-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Hi, spent the weekend at tunkwa, .... if i had a dollar for every hunter i saw...

Finally!.... I saw a whitetail buck,.... he smiled at me I think, as he raced across tunkwa lake road i to the bush at 6:30am.....

Saw one cougar on the powerline and two coyote, oh and I did see a few mule does.

Had a great time still, but Given the large number of hunters, Ithink this is tough to hunt.... before you say it .. I did over 100k on trails but no 4 point mule and no other whitetail bucks

hoochie
09-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Finally!.... I saw a whitetail buck,.... he smiled at me I think, as he raced across tunkwa lake road i to the bush at 6:30am.....

Smiled? I think its called "gave you the finger!" lol
glad you had a good trip!

huntcoop
09-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Smiled? I think its called "gave you the finger!" lol
glad you had a good trip!

I think he winked his brown eye as he raised the white flag and ran :smile:

Tim Tam Slam
09-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Still a little early there yet! Try in the grassy areas to the east of the lake for whities. You’ll see a gas main (decent hunting/sign I’ve seen on there), and there’s a few trails that get flooded real good (need a side x side and some kahuna’s For that trail in the wet season!)

that trail will take you to the meadows (there’s 2-3 of them), and then take the logging road through all the way back to “the road to tunkwa”.

Good luck to ya!

finngun
09-17-2018, 08:04 PM
i was there too...did ya see duckhunters banging ducks down?,,,we didnt even try to find whitey..too early ..just duck fun..:redface:

bcshadow
09-17-2018, 08:40 PM
I did hear some shotguns... also saw someone looked like Elmer Fudd, but didnt see anyone with a buck. Also, I meant 10k on the trails...

Foxton Gundogs
09-17-2018, 08:54 PM
The wife and I spent 9 days riding all over that area, seen 2 Muley does and a fork horn right in base camp that was it. Only large concentration of deer were in down town Logan Lake.

twoSevenO
09-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah, lots of pressure up there .... but someone always gets lucky! That guy could be you!

If you have a ATV and enjoy that style of hunting you should do well.

SR80
09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
tunkwa lake...the land of big mulies, whiteys and immature moose

Bugle M In
09-18-2018, 09:25 AM
My understanding is, many of the deer come over the top and down into the farmers fields around Logan Lake just
before nightfall.
The closer we get to winter (Nov/Dec), the more that happens.
Deer aren't stupid.
Probably where some of the higher concentrations are, if you ask me.

twoSevenO
09-18-2018, 09:28 AM
My understanding is, many of the deer come over the top and down into the farmers fields around Logan Lake just
before nightfall.
The closer we get to winter (Nov/Dec), the more that happens.
Deer aren't stupid.
Probably where some of the higher concentrations are, if you ask me.

I heard the same but that they drop the other way toward Savona ....

Darksith
09-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Hi, spent the weekend at tunkwa, .... if i had a dollar for every hunter i saw...

Saw one cougar on the powerline and two coyote, oh and I did see a few mule does.

Had a great time still, but Given the large number of hunters, Ithink this is tough to hunt.... before you say it .. I did over 100k on trails but no 4 point mule and no other whitetail bucks

Keep following Jelvis's posts if you want to see a lot of hunters and few animals. Good luck out there, Kamloops is a real busy place because we are so close to the LML. Get away from the crowds by going to clearwater or Spences Bridge ;)

Jelvis
09-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Darksith won't see a mule deer buck standing out in thee open like her Avatar around Tunkwa - Hahahahaha - not very experienced?
Dream land Hahahaha -- it's ok girl keep reading hbc and eventually the truth will help you HBC is thee best hunting site in North America!
Jel -- Duran Creek Zeke for dah big boys -- DOOOO Ran DOOOO Ran -- monster buckatoids --
--------More detail later on where to connect with that Trophy buck near Savano Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa?
----secret? Look up Wallachin - Walla Sheen - on your BC Back Roads Map Book! For now, don't get too much buck fever going on yet, we got the big boys in here.

Piperdown
09-19-2018, 02:25 PM
The moment you put Jelly on your ignore list the better the site becomes

Jelvis
09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
You wouldn't have the guts to say that my face woody yah? Sorry if Dark is your sister dint mean to be rude -- my middle name is Rick so I get Rude once in a ?
Jel? Just jokin don't get me banned! Piperdon - Hahahahahaha hold noooooo heu its rock ooo ahhh wjanooo got to go i hop u leev in kammy ahhh whha
--- I see your sister Dark lives in Kammy and proud to show where she lives, how bout chew Pipperdon? You live in Kammy Double Wammy? too ------

Bugle M In
09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
I heard the same but that they drop the other way toward Savona ....
Very possible.
I only go with what others who have knowledge of the area have seen, but like you say, they could go the other way as well.
Last season, came down the FSR, just before the highway, and look into the famers filed between highway and big river, and
there are 20+ deer just grazing away.
And I was thinking, well maybe they are bedding across the highway towards me.
Nope, they were bedding between the filed and the river!!
So, too close to the highway and property to hunt.
The perfect "safe haven".
They aint stupid.

Mulehahn
09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Place isn't the same with out Jelly around. Don't ignore him. Enjoy him. More often then not he speaks the truth; if you are able to sort through it it to find it.

As for Tunkwa, they are there but are sort of like ghosts. You gotta believe they are there; most hunts won't come up with anything, you will doubt, then suddenly there it is right in front of you.

Jelvis
09-19-2018, 02:45 PM
this spot has late season, ------------> has the trophy bucks late season, after big snow up top brings em down to breed in the valley.
Jel -- The Summer Range road leaves Hwy 1, just east of Savano -- drive up and see for yourself -- bigger bucks in here for some strange reason?

Jelvis
09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
=-ll--------> " A long time ago The Wallichin Warrior, came outta French Bar and found the spot to get Trophy Muley Buckatoids.
------------------>
Savona - Tunkwa Lake

The Summer Range road you can see it just east of Savona, on Hwy 1, it leaves Hwy 1, following ( the old Trans Canada Hwy ) uphill, ( you can still see the old pavement all broken up } Take note here: First turn-off right from thee old Hwy , just above the steepest hill, runs up thru ranch land by a small creek.
=-ll---------------> " Ridges on either side of this small valley, good muley and huge blue grouse, the size of small turkey's, depends how far you wish to hike.
---------------------------------------------- This is where you go for monster mule deer bucks, Trophy size antlers 175 minimum and over Rover.
First turn right on old old Hwy as up above --- Mule Deer Bucks --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jelly - The Savona - Tunkwa Lake Ridge runner -- >

REMINGTON JIM
09-19-2018, 05:35 PM
tunkwa lake...the land of big mulies, whiteys and immature moose

LMFFAO ! Land of way to MANY Hunters ! :frown: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-19-2018, 05:39 PM
You wouldn't have the guts to say that my face woody yah? Sorry if Dark is your sister dint mean to be rude -- my middle name is Rick so I get Rude once in a ?
Jel? Just jokin don't get me banned! Piperdon - Hahahahahaha hold noooooo heu its rock ooo ahhh wjanooo got to go i hop u leev in kammy ahhh whha
--- I see your sister Dark lives in Kammy and proud to show where she lives, how bout chew Pipperdon? You live in Kammy Double Wammy? too ------

Holy Phuck Jelly ! LOL Take your Meds Buddy ! :smile: RJ " Living in Kammy Double Wammy "

RyoTHC
09-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Holy Phuck Jelly ! LOL Take your Meds Buddy ! :smile: RJ " Living in Kammy Double Wammy "

It's getting a little bit rediculous isn't it ?

russm
09-19-2018, 06:45 PM
It's getting a little bit rediculous isn't it ?

Lol getting ridiculous?

Piperdown
09-20-2018, 06:08 AM

RJ if you keep quoting Jel so i see what he spews i may have to cancel my new ford :)

Jelvis
09-20-2018, 06:20 AM
Ok you Kamloops fellas don't like jelly or want him on HBC and your honest butt at least we are narrowing it down to see who is the real class clown,
So one is a car dealer now whoa, I don't have one vehicle anyways you rich guys got all that.
-- haven't been out yet, I can feel it coming tho!
I got upset over something lately, not on HBC butt in real life. It got to me really bad inside. I'm sorry for screwing up hbc and you guys in town, gotta go ---
Jello -- Trying to be mello a good fello, trying to calm down had enuff of thee class clown and s ahhh finally getting some help - The Rock says. " Know your role!"

huntcoop
09-20-2018, 07:24 AM
RJ if you keep quoting Jel so i see what he spews i may have to cancel my new ford :)

As a retiree you should be saving your money, nothing wrong with the 'ol big brown baby!

Lozzie
09-20-2018, 07:53 AM
I used to hunt this area a few years ago and with some success. However the last time I decided to pop in there for a hunt I saw more hunters than game and some real idiots, watched a group of three share one pair of binoculars and then fire a shot into the air I'm assuming to try and "spook a buck out of the valley below". It is now written off my list of places to go. There are deer there in the area, good luck to those of you that want to road hunt hunter congested areas. For me I'll cut my own trail and find my quarry elsewhere BC is a big province.

Jelvis
09-20-2018, 08:44 AM
beeg brown baby whoa, I saw a big brown buck up Duran and Jodkooo noooo no eh iz rooc and ah bi g broo twck ahhhh noooooooo
Jel -- It was Rocko the Jocko goin apeshit over Tunkwa -- The Nor River Lac La Jueune Wanna be Jocko goin bananaaaasss eh bi browwwmmmmmmmmnnnnnnn

REMINGTON JIM
09-20-2018, 09:13 AM

LMFFAO ! too Funny EH ! :lol: RJ

weatherby_man
09-20-2018, 09:19 AM
I still enjoy hunting there in late Nov into early Dec.. Seems a lot more sane at that time of year and I've harvested some nice 4 pt muleys out of that area.

RyoTHC
09-20-2018, 09:31 AM
I still enjoy hunting there in late Nov into early Dec.. Seems a lot more sane at that time of year and I've harvested some nice 4 pt muleys out of that area.

Once any buck / any doe closes the vast majority of weekend warriors are done for the season. I much prefer doing my hunting in November / December but I'll still go out a few times a week Sept / Oct ! Never know when and where the big guys will be.

Bugle M In
09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Once any buck / any doe closes the vast majority of weekend warriors are done for the season. I much prefer doing my hunting in November / December but I'll still go out a few times a week Sept / Oct ! Never know when and where the big guys will be.

yup, true, but when they shut down R5 from 10-20th November, things get real busy again!
That being said, will be interesting to see the difference now with 1 MD limit??

Darksith
09-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Trophy size antlers 175 minimum and over Rover.
First turn right on old old Hwy as up above --- Mule Deer Bucks --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jesus...who believes this guy?

Jelvis
09-20-2018, 06:46 PM
=-ll-----> " I personally along with Jocko and Roxy, endorse this lil valley explained above off the Hwy 1 just East Of the lil gorgeous community of Savona, you have to witness the beauty of pure mule deer country, compared only to Wyoming or Montana for excellence of Mother Nature's many blessings."
=//------> Jack O'conner knew about this The Summer Range road and went wild, he snuck in and stalked and walked his butt off and connected to a monster mule. 250 pounds gutted out, made 198 " and everyone saw Jack off, at the Kammy airport. " The Durand Lake Road " is the one with the bucks as above posts --
Jelly Jack Oh Conner -- Durand Lake Road for a Toad! -- Blue grouse the size of small turkey's -- pure white breast meat two inches thick at the breast bone -

twoSevenO
09-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Lol .... it's obvious Jelvis hasnt been to Tunkwa in about 30-40 years.

I have been all over as I book a cabin at mile high almost every year for a couple days and go chill with my dad.

I have never seen a "big" buck up there hanging at mile high or at tunkwa meat sheds.

Not saying they dont exist because that would be a foolish claim to make with no proof just saying that if you are planning to go and follow Jels advice you will be in a world of disappointment

That area is pure freezer buck country now days and 99% of hunters up there are freezer buck hunters.

Salty
09-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Tunkwa's ok but stick closer to Kamloops and you'll do better :)

Piperdown
09-21-2018, 06:15 AM
As a retiree you should be saving your money, nothing wrong with the 'ol big brown baby!

Ha ha been a great truck but i have over 300,000 km so time for a new ride, need to be styling as a grey haired old retired dude :)

Wild one
09-21-2018, 06:49 AM
If an area is as well known is tunkwa expect lots of hunters and pressure

Want to see less pressure don’t hunt commonly recommended area. If you hear of a spot once it might have Good game numbers if you hear of it multiple times you will find a spot with lots of hunters lol.

Personally I would not put in the effort into tunkwa because of its busy nature but is there a chance that the reason the hunt did not go well was lack of knowledge of the area and maybe poor choice of tactics.

How far you walk means nothing if it’s in the wrong area or walking in a manner that spooks game

Not trying to be a dick but often there is more to it then just the spot but no doubt can be part of it.

huntcoop
09-21-2018, 09:50 AM
....need to be styling as a grey haired old retired dude :)

I guess in 20 years I'm screwed :lol:

Darksith
09-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Lol .... it's obvious Jelvis hasnt been to Tunkwa in about 30-40 years.

I have been all over as I book a cabin at mile high almost every year for a couple days and go chill with my dad.

I have never seen a "big" buck up there hanging at mile high or at tunkwa meat sheds.

Not saying they dont exist because that would be a foolish claim to make with no proof just saying that if you are planning to go and follow Jels advice you will be in a world of disappointment

That area is pure freezer buck country now days and 99% of hunters up there are freezer buck hunters.

I have seen the odd decent deer come out of there, definitely not 175 minimum haha. If anyone is gonna think that there is any place in BC you can just walk in and shoot a book deer you are kidding yourself. A big deer comes out of Tunkwa area like once every 3 year. Yup its mostly freezer fillers. Lots of other places to put your effort in that will produce more sightings of deer. The biggest thing is to understand where the majority of the deer are and when. Where do they live in the summer, when do they move to wintering grounds, what are their wintering grounds, where is it hard to get to if you are a hunter. These things will lead you to successful deer hunting, but if you want to shoot a big buck that makes the book you better get used to eating tag soup. I hunt hard, I live in Kamloops and I hunt in a variety of spots. I have book deer on my trail cams, not many but a couple. Ive never been lucky enough to see one in person yet though. Mule deer for the most part move around so its all luck. WT can be patterned a little bit but that takes serious time and effort and then patience. Any place the jelvis has mentioned comes out of a book that is 20 years old and those fathers have taught their kids where to hunt who have told their friends. And besides that the forest ages and things change. Look for burns that are 3-6 years old, thats a great place to find good deer numbers.

fudge
10-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Just got back from tunkwa and got a nice 2 by 2 buck and a number of grouse and saw lots of does

Rieber
10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Just got back from tunkwa and got a nice 2 by 2 buck and a number of grouse and saw lots of does

Aw crap, I was saving that guy for next year. No - seriously, great job when you can get one out and have nice weather to boot.

stinkyduck
10-22-2018, 07:27 PM
I hate when i'm watching some asshat finally see me and immediately points his gun at me!!! I start yelling and cursing pretty darn fast.

bcshadow
10-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Congratulations, we got a whitetail doe, but saw only one grouse. Pretty warm out there, lots of traffic on the weekend...

fudge
10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Ya there was alot of people. We saw everything High. And everybody that stayed in their trucks or quads all said they said they saw nothing you got to put miles on your boots

skibum
10-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Glassing from up really high, 10km down the road from Tunkwa: Whitetail out in in a farmers field at 10:30am playing around. I was hunting mulie in the cliffs.

Driving pass Tunkwa at 5:30am: deer sprinting as fast as they could to the trees. I wasn't going at road hunting speed, just getting from one spot to another.

Two days apart last week. Tells you where the pressure is.

Getbent
10-23-2018, 12:14 PM
=-ll--------> " A long time ago The Wallichin Warrior, came outta French Bar and found the spot to get Trophy Muley Buckatoids.
------------------>
Savona - Tunkwa Lake

The Summer Range road you can see it just east of Savona, on Hwy 1, it leaves Hwy 1, following ( the old Trans Canada Hwy ) uphill, ( you can still see the old pavement all broken up } Take note here: First turn-off right from thee old Hwy , just above the steepest hill, runs up thru ranch land by a small creek.
=-ll---------------> " Ridges on either side of this small valley, good muley and huge blue grouse, the size of small turkey's, depends how far you wish to hike.
---------------------------------------------- This is where you go for monster mule deer bucks, Trophy size antlers 175 minimum and over Rover.

Having Lived just out of Walhachin on Lord Angelsey Ranch Road, I can attest to BIG bucks coming down once the snow hits high.
And the deer do drop into the alfalfa fields on the south side of the river for sure...blanket the fields