PDA

View Full Version : Define: Ducks

Jimmyjjj
09-17-2018, 07:40 AM
I am having a heck of a time trying to find a list of the species included in "Ducks". I have searched this forum, read the regulation summaries and skimmed the actual regulations. It seem's crazy to me that it implies all ducks in existence are included. I have only ever gone after mallards and teals, but I am seeing a ton of ring necked ducks lately. Before I shoot one I want to make sure they are legal.

On a side note, has anyone eaten Ring-neck ducks? Are they good?

Thanks,
Jim

wos
09-17-2018, 08:24 AM
A duck is a duck as far as thr regs are concerned unless otherwise stated.

hunter fisher
09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
migratory birds are managed federally I believe. heres a link and a breakdown of different combinations of duck/geese bag limits

Bag and possession limits table
Bag and possession limits in British Columbia
Limits
Ducks
White geese (Snow Geese and Ross’s Geese)
Dark Geese (Canada Geese, Cackling Geese and White-fronted Geese)
Brant
Coots
Snipe
Band-tailed Pigeons
Mourning Doves and Eurasian Collared-Doves

Daily bag
8 n, o, p, q
5 v
5 x, 10 y
3 z
5 aa

Possession
24 r, s, t , u
15 w
15 x, 30 y
9 z
15 aa

n Not more than 4 may be Northern Pintails.
o Not more than 4 may be Canvasbacks
p Not more than 2 may be Goldeneyes.
q Not more than 2 may be Harlequin Ducks.
r Not more than 12 may be Northern Pintails.
s Not more than 12 may be Canvasbacks.
t Not more than 6 may be Goldeneyes.
u Not more than 6 may be Harlequin Ducks.
v In PMUs 2-4 and 2-5, up to 15 White Geese including not more than 5 Ross’s Geese may be taken daily and in PMUs 2-2 and 2-3 and 2-6 to 2-19 inclusively, up to 10 White Geese including not more than 5 Ross’s Geese may be taken daily.
w In PMUs 2-4 and 2-5, up to 45 White Geese including not more than 15 Ross’s Geese may be possessed and in PMUs 2-2 and 2-3 and 2-6 to 2-19 inclusively, up to 30 White Geese including not more than 15 Ross’s Geese may be possessed daily.
x For White-fronted Geese only.
y Any combination of Canada Geese and Cackling Geese.
z PMU 2-4.
aa Any combination of Mourning Doves and Eurasian Collared-Doves.

here is link to page, lots to read:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/migratory-game-bird-hunting/regulations-provincial-territorial-summaries/british-columbia.html

hope this helps

Jimmyjjj
09-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.

I was aware of the restricted ducks, and I am happy to have other people give me their input!

I guess I will try a few new species this year and I will be sure to let you know how I think they taste!

Cheers,
Jim

Dano
09-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Can’t shoot Grebes or Loons. No to Cormorants too. I pass on most diver ducks.
Usually stick to mallards and Widgeon. I’ve shot a few Ring necks and have them to a friend (he said he prefers the mallards and Widgeon!).