PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Valley whos your butcher?

hoochie
09-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Seems our usual butcher is no longer doing game cutting.
we were out on Sat and came back to the Fraser Valley to drop off our deer close to home as usual. Called on the way to the usual place, and we were told he no longer does game meat. So then we call another place, and they are full.. not accepting any more game. They were kind enough to give us the name and contact info of another butcher in Mission. We were able to get our deer to him before closing ( 6PM sat). And lucky for us, we did not come home on Sunday, as we would have been in a real jam.. as the Mission butcher is closed on Sunday.

I guess we just took it for granted that this year would be the same as any other and go to the same Butcher. Not anymore.
Im not sure that finding a butcher in the Merrit, Kamloops area ( where we hunt most) makes much sense either as we would have to make another trip just to get our animal back. Gas adds up!

Where do you take yours? How do you do it?
I need to change things up.

thanks for any advise.

avidhunter0
09-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Meadow Meats in Pitt Meadows area. Great people and great sausage! They can be pretty busy though.

longwalk
09-16-2018, 10:07 AM
With a pretty minimal investment you can do do your own. I’m pretty well equipped, but I did my daughter’s youth season buck with a boning knife and a grinder. You can buy a small grinder and a decent knife for the cost of having one deer cut and wrapped. Utube is your friend if you are unsure.

whitlers
09-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Our usual guy also stopped cutting game recently. We have used Sumas meats in the past. They were okay. I cut my own deer but not sure if I want to do a moose.

86k20
09-16-2018, 12:38 PM
I used Sumas meats last year and was very happy. Had my trim done in beer sausage and pepperoni and it was fantastic. Roasts and steaks were very good as well. I will be going back there this year if I get lucky again.

hoochie
09-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Gord stopped cutting wild game, sumas said they were full.
Time, space and location, limits me from cutting my own!

Bpower
09-16-2018, 07:33 PM
I think my plans this year will be to cut up my own if i get a deer but if Sumas or the place in Pitt Meadows has room I'll consider using them.

sparkes3
09-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Dam I was just going to ask if it was Gord that stopped cutting game , his pepperoni and breakfast sausages were great.

hoochie
09-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Dam I was just going to ask if it was Gord that stopped cutting game , his pepperoni and breakfast sausages were great.

Right??
I give him 5 Stars, and had nothing but great things to say about his outfit.

Asco
09-16-2018, 08:40 PM
If you need to hang game, page creek coolers has a big ass cooler in matsqui off hwy 11.
Good guy, be patient he’s getting on in years. Info you want sausage, lots of “no game cutting “ butchers will make you sausage if you bring in clean meat frozen. I do 10 or 20 lb bags

Grumpa Joe
09-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Me, David and David.:smile:

Arctic Lake
09-16-2018, 09:32 PM
What is the going rate for game cutting nowadays ? What are the including , wrapping, freezing, grinding ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

hoochie
09-17-2018, 07:27 AM
What is the going rate for game cutting nowadays ? What are the including , wrapping, freezing, grinding ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

not sure, didnt even ask. I was so thankful someone could hang my deer I would pay $1Lb

kolofardos
09-17-2018, 07:56 AM
How about Ennis Farms in Langley? Are they not cutting game meat anymore?

whitlers
09-17-2018, 10:55 AM
How about Ennis Farms in Langley? Are they not cutting game meat anymore?

Yeah they are still cutting game. But wont be cutting mine...

kolofardos
09-17-2018, 11:04 AM
Yeah they are still cutting game. But wont be cutting mine...

May I ask why? PM if you like

Comshel
09-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Beltrame in Langley used to butcher deer and moose for me. Haven't shot anything for a few years now but I had no complaints.

tyreguy
09-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Sumas Meats for the last 18years. I call then in advance all the time to let them know when I’m going and what I got. Christmas time the Rums on me after my Nov WT hunt.
Pays to look after your butcher, but I take him a carcass without a spec of dirt or hair, no garbage.

hoochie
09-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Sumas Meats for the last 18years. I call then in advance all the time to let them know when I’m going and what I got. Christmas time the Rums on me after my Nov WT hunt.
Pays to look after your butcher, but I take him a carcass without a spec of dirt or hair, no garbage.

good advise, the call ahead before going. I took it for granted in the past.

Comshel
09-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Yes the call ahead is just good business, Beltrame would open up on Sunday to retrieve your game IF you called the day or two before.

f350ps
09-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Yes the call ahead is just good business, Beltrame would open up on Sunday to retrieve your game IF you called the day or two before.
Pete no longer does game meat! K

Comshel
09-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Good to know, then again I don't seem to shoot much anymore either.

Asco
09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
I booked in advance twice at Sumas, they rejected me twice. Asked to wait 5-6 days then check back. Wtf am I going to do with a whole elk for 5-6 days?? No more business from me. My loyalty and advance booking was not appreciated there.

tyreguy
09-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you, Kurt would bend over backwards and Ullie does the same. Only good things to say about Sumas. They were full of beef when I was there this past week, maybe that plugged him up.
If I went on a moose hunt and we were trying for “x” number of animals I would let him know in advance. Then when out of the bush into cell service I would call, always told they would make room. Super clean meat in, and when they call to pick up I’m there within 24hrs to pick up

I booked in advance twice at Sumas, they rejected me twice. Asked to wait 5-6 days then check back. Wtf am I going to do with a whole elk for 5-6 days?? No more business from me. My loyalty and advance booking was not appreciated there.

Steeleco
09-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Me, David and David.:smile:After reading this thread, my rates are going up. WAY UP!!

Arctic Lake
09-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Steeleco are you a meat cutter ? How much do you charge per pound ? Arctic Lake

Busterpayton54
09-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Dressed to grill in mission also hangs and processes.

hoochie
09-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Dressed to grill in mission also hangs and processes.

contact info please. This may help someone out in the near future.
cheers.

Steeleco
09-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Steeleco are you a meat cutter ? How much do you charge per pound ? Arctic Lake

No Sir. I long ago gave up on cutters. The good ones quit and the price was too much. I now cut in my shed and have a converted chest freezer to cool the meat while I fit life in. I seem to have a few "regulars" that visit in the fall!!

abbyfireguy
09-18-2018, 06:15 AM
This is a much needed thread for me now. Years ago when we first started moose hunting Dave Ennis did all our cutting. The best guy I have used and a really nice family. The folks who bought his place had my business for one year,but poor quality and never went back.
After him we used Larry Weymouth in Abby,another excellent cutter,till he retired.
Then onto Peter Beltame, really quality work, again no longer cutting game.
Our last moose 3 years ago we used Page Creek in Abby, he was ok... not sure how he would handle a lot of big animals if he was swamped...
Will check a few more this week and settle on one before we head up for our LEH moose on Sept 22 this Saturday.
Living in Abby makes Mission a possibility too.I always call,the butcher shortly after the moose hits the ground and give them lots of warning. Also,our quarters arrive clean and pristine like out of a slaughter house.
Its getting so hard to get a quality game cutter that isn’t swamped or won’t take stuff when you need to get it done.
Dave Ennis took our stuff day or night no,matter what. Not many character folks like him and Pearl anymore.

buckhunter76
09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
I cut all my own deer up then take the trimming to dressed to grill in Mission, that guy does good work, always get smokies, pep and burger, good prices as well, he also does full process of game as well, we got two blacktails on the weekend and I’m already pumped to get some jalapeņo smokies made

Takla
09-18-2018, 06:54 AM
I used Ennis and later Weymouth over the yrs as well,When they retired i broke down and started doing all my own cutting and wrapping,only thing i dont do is sausage making myself so i always have a ton to stew beef which isnt a bad thing.Custom cut and wrap has gotten stupid expensive since i took the very first moose in way back when.I did however just sample some tastey landjager from another member here recently so will be getting some done this year

takla

silvertipp
09-18-2018, 07:08 AM
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the old butcher in Aldergrove
off of 264 north of the freeway ever opened shop again
He sure had some good sausage

TyTy
09-20-2018, 11:17 PM
No Sir. I long ago gave up on cutters. The good ones quit and the price was too much. I now cut in my shed and have a converted chest freezer to cool the meat while I fit life in. I seem to have a few "regulars" that visit in the fall!!

Start a a thread on your meat cooler build for us?

Steeleco
09-21-2018, 05:00 AM
Near the top of the thread, the pics are gone thx to Photobucket but you'll get the idea.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?92732-Freezer-to-fridge-conversion&highlight=controls

Piperdown
09-21-2018, 06:10 AM
Beltrame in Langley used to butcher deer and moose for me. Haven't shot anything for a few years now but I had no complaints.

Ha ha Pete the meat Beltrame, funny guy had some good times when we were much younger, had no problems using him :)

tyreguy
09-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Every hunter at some point in his hunting career should bone out / cut up his own deer as they will then understand how much meat is really on one.
This will help with shot placement as a bad shot can take out a big % of your meat, animal choice (no more spikers) and meat care. Plus if you're ever in the backcountry and get an animal you'll have the equipment and knowhow to bone and pack it out.
Backstraps / Ribeyes / tenderloins then chicken wing the hinds and shoulders and you're 80% done. I do this often in late season if i'm just grinding burger or making sausage.

Sorry to hijack - just a few thoughts.