PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea,Xmas on the Queen Charlottes "Haida Gwaii"

BeerMan
09-13-2018, 05:39 PM
My wife and I are thinking about flying there ,and checking the area out over the Holidays.
We would fly in from YVR. Thought it might be fun to do a few days of tiny deer hunting while I'm there. Any tips on Guides/Outfitters,Butchers that could take care of the meat/and shipping. We will rent a vehicle,but apparently some might not be to happy if it goes offroad. PM if you like, any help or info much appreciated. Kind of a Bucket list thing,but self employed in the Lower Waistland so only have so much time off.

Muledeercrazy2
09-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Should be fun, don't know about butcher's but you probably don't need a guide.

sako79
09-13-2018, 07:27 PM
I know the rental car company puts out in its contract that anytime they find out you went off road with their vehicles it's $1,000 fine.

Muledeercrazy2
09-13-2018, 07:44 PM
As long as they don't fine you for putting deer in the trunk you should be ok?

tomahawk
09-13-2018, 07:56 PM
the Super-Valu grocery store in Sandspit hung, cut and wrapped years ago, not sure now. rent a truck and no worrying

IslandWanderer
09-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Baru farm...

S.W.A.T.
09-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Just bring sandwich bags. Can put like 3 of those deer in one bag

Bchunt
09-13-2018, 08:14 PM
We did the Christmas hunt thing there a few years back. Drove up, planned to sleep in the canopy as we wanted to explore and not be tied to one spot. Had a bed and everything. It absolutely poured on us for the entire time. Ten days of soaking, saturating rain. Nothing dried. And then we went to go home and the ferry was delayed for four days by weather.

We had had a great time. Got our limits of deer, saw hardly anyone else. But if I did it again, I would do the wall tent with the wood stove to have somewhere warm and dry. Or rent a cabin somewhere off season.

Dont bother her trying to rent a vehicle up there. As soon as they see your gear, and ask why you are there they are likely to cancel it. They were all over rentals driving on north beach a few years back. Apparently, had someone sitting at the beach entrance watching for the rentals coming on.

Gunner Staal
09-13-2018, 09:24 PM
How do you make the eye roll emoji? Some interesting comments on here. ......I live here bud. Would love to help you out. PM me and I will give you the full low down. A phone convo will likely be required. I will be away elk hunting for the next 5 days but we’ll make sure your taken care of.

StuBrown
09-13-2018, 10:01 PM
You sir are awesome!

How do you make the eye roll emoji? Some interesting comments on here. ......I live here bud. Would love to help you out. PM me and I will give you the full low down. A phone convo will likely be required. I will be away elk hunting for the next 5 days but we’ll make sure your taken care of.

walks with deer
09-13-2018, 10:23 PM
gunnar staal please contact me i will take help with pride

shortrange
09-14-2018, 02:02 AM
Baru farm...

Yup. Barry the butcher is great. He is near QC City. Rent from National in Masset. They know you will be hunting.

BeerMan
09-14-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks Gunner, PM sent.

fuzzybiscuit
09-14-2018, 08:35 AM
Cool thread and neat idea BeerMan. I was born in Queen Charlotte City but haven’t been back since I was a kid. It will be interesting how this turns out for you and your wife. Good luck.

fuzzybiscuit
09-14-2018, 08:51 AM

:roll: lol. Interesting that most people making comments on these Charlotte’s threads usually have never been there.

My dad shot a lot of deer when we lived in Sandspit and while they are smaller in statue they are not all small. His largest officially score 112 5/8’s after almost 30 years drying on the wall. I had a Taxi find a mature Sitka cape and had it mounted for him and it is still hanging on the wall in his home. Ranks right up there in B&C for a Sitka...I believe 20 years ago it would have actually been the largest Sitka from the Charlotte's registered not that that means a hill of beans. I’m not sure if he ever followed through with actually entering it in the book and I’ve never looked. He has a picture of it with himself and in the background is our old house in Sandspit. It was no heavy antlered German Shepard...that thing was a tank!

IslandWanderer
09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
My son and I are all booked for the ferry mid November. We’re thinking of wall tenting it while there. Does anyone have any tips regarding locations to set up?

lordbrown
09-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Hey WalkswithDeer. Tried to get reply to you but it said your message box was full... Thanks for the info and concern Much appreciated! Any idea how to get ahold of the fellas you had named or anyone that can point them in my direction? Cheers

sako79
09-14-2018, 11:21 AM
I've been there my boss is personal friends with the owner of the National rental car in masset.

sako79
09-14-2018, 11:27 AM
:roll: lol. Interesting that most people making comments on these Charlotte’s threads usually have never been there.

My dad shot a lot of deer when we lived in Sandspit and while they are smaller in statue they are not all small. His largest officially score 112 5/8’s after almost 30 years drying on the wall. I had a Taxi find a mature Sitka cape and had it mounted for him and it is still hanging on the wall in his home. Ranks right up there in B&C for a Sitka...I believe 20 years ago it would have actually been the largest Sitka from the Charlotte's registered not that that means a hill of beans. I’m not sure if he ever followed through with actually entering it in the book and I’ve never looked. He has a picture of it with himself and in the background is our old house in Sandspit. It was no heavy antlered German Shepard...that thing was a tank!

Kool. world record typical Sitka deer was shot on the charlottes in 1970. Scored 133.

sako79
09-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Yup. Barry the butcher is great. He is near QC City. Rent from National in Masset. They know you will be hunting.

They charge penalties if you go off the main road

sawmill
09-14-2018, 11:45 AM
We did the Christmas hunt thing there a few years back. Drove up, planned to sleep in the canopy as we wanted to explore and not be tied to one spot. Had a bed and everything. It absolutely poured on us for the entire time. Ten days of soaking, saturating rain. Nothing dried. And then we went to go home and the ferry was delayed for four days by weather.

Sounds like my trip.Horible weather, canopy on the truck too. I thought I was going to have to burn my spare tire to get a fire going and I even brought some dry wood with me. Then we got stuck on the ferry for 22 hours in the lee of some island during a storm on the way back. Bar was closed and they played the Dennis the Menace movie over and over in the lounge. No deer either. Really shit Xmas for sure. Charlottes are great, just not so much in the winter.

BeerMan
09-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Damn your killing my Mojo. We will see how it goes. I don't mind shitty x,mas'es.

S.W.A.T.
09-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Sounds like a class act there.

sawmill
09-15-2018, 07:13 AM
Sounds like a class act there.
Sure does, I wish this site was around back when I went.