PDA

View Full Version : what do you sleep in when you camp?

Mr. Friendly
09-13-2018, 01:52 PM
curious what is the majority solution used.

if something else, please share what you do use!

RackStar
09-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Where the heck is the most common TENT option.

Mr. Friendly
09-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Where the heck is the most common TENT option.
that would be 'Neither, something else'.

twoSevenO
09-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Pickup cab if sleeping for the night and hitting the trail early in the morning

Otherwise regular camping tent. 4 person for basecamp near truck. 2 person if hiking in.

I dont go for long enough to be setting up a wall tent. And I have no place to park a tent trailer so I generally dont camp at all when it starts to get below zero during the day (aka November)

Twogunns
09-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Wall tent with the boys on the big trips. Travel trailer with the family. Rent cabins on the quick ones.

drum_boy101
09-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Tent trailer with the family, Hennessy Hammock when solo. :-)

Ajsawden
09-13-2018, 04:04 PM
First couple overnight hunts was just a regular tent, then we started using camper on truck followed by one year we tried to use a canadian tire tarp garage as a wall tent and it was poor form, but we liked the space and potential protection it provided so we pooled cash and bought a canvas wall tent the following year. Wall tent is the cat's meow for sure. Although I suspect i'm getting soft after 5 year of 'luxury'.

Other than the regular tent. All of the above are best suited to be stationary for multiple days. Truck and camper is probably the closest to being convenient for a short stay.

S.W.A.T.
09-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Find it hard to believe people "camp" in a wall tent. Maybe when hunting but when actually camping?

silvertipp
09-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Just bought one this year and have used it twice for camping
everyone loved it
funny thing is me and my son had it up and done in about the same time some of the people took to set up there little tents

Thunderstix
09-13-2018, 06:27 PM
I will exclude my travel trailer at my RV site on Kalum Lake, and say that when I "hunt camp" I always stay in my 14x18 wall tent, and to be honest, if there was no woman in my life, it would be wall tent at Kalum as well.

bcsteve
09-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Find it hard to believe people "camp" in a wall tent. Maybe when hunting but when actually camping?
Since this is the “Hunting Gear” forum, I’m pretty sure he means sleep in when hunting.

Mr. Friendly
09-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Since this is the “Hunting Gear” forum, I’m pretty sure he means sleep in when hunting.

actually, I meant camping...for whatever reason.

I prefer a wall tent, as if I go gaming, it's usually for a week more more, not a long weekend. using a trailer/camper/motorhome is not camping. I want dirt, twigs and leaves in my morning coffee dammit! ;)

twoSevenO
09-14-2018, 11:58 AM
I want dirt, twigs and leaves in my morning coffee dammit! ;)

Are you the guy who kills an animal and has to drench his boots in blood because that's being at one with nature. Lol.

Mr. Friendly
09-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Are you the guy who kills an animal and has to drench his boots in blood because that's being at one with nature. Lol.

no, thats weird!

Squamch
09-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Depends on the trip. Sometimes I sleep in the cab of my truck. Sometimes under the canopy. Sometimes in the box with no canopy, or in the back of the 4runner. Or in my small tent, or my big tent. Or a back country cabin.
I've slept in fancy racecar bucket seats with harnesses digging into me, and on spare tires. I've slept on and under trailers and picnic tables.

So I'll sleep wherever is convenient, depending on the circumstances. Theres a really nice grove of pine trees in kitimat I slept in once...that was surprisingly quiet.

caddisguy
09-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Usually sleep in the jeep. Sometimes a tent.

chris
09-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Usually stay at my cabin but I typically spend about 2 weeks sleeping in the canopy of the truck during the deer rut.

scoutlt1
09-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Usually sleep in the jeep. Sometimes a tent.

I sleep in my Jeep most of the time too.....but mine has heated seats. :)

Big Lew
09-14-2018, 09:08 PM
I very seldom hunted in one spot so either slept in the cab or in a 4 man tent.
Because of my age and arthritis, the last couple of years I've also included my RV trailer
if hunting early in the year or both hunting and fishing in the same area. The biggest
problem I've found is finding a clear level spot for my floored tent in the rugged places
I hunt.

S.W.A.T.
09-15-2018, 06:15 AM
actually, I meant camping...for whatever reason.

I prefer a wall tent, as if I go gaming, it's usually for a week more more, not a long weekend. using a trailer/camper/motorhome is not camping. I want dirt, twigs and leaves in my morning coffee dammit! ;)

Im actually with you on this one. We use to have a 28ft toy hauler, was mine before kids and family. Was a great trailer, a tad heavy but everything was in one unit. Then we bought a jet boat and I'm not the type that wants to make two trips or take two vehicles, just doesn't make sense to me. So sold the trailer and was able to find a camper with a slide that was legit bunks as we have 3 kids. Long story short the only thing we do in the camper is sleep. Its never been cooked in, bathroom has never been used. Once in awhile if the weather is really bad we might sit inside and play cards but nothing else. We sold the boat a couple years back and I realized that was stupid so now I'm trying to get it in my wife's head to go back to a boat and a wall tent.

Gateholio
09-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Depends on how much whiskey drank that night...

35rem
09-15-2018, 09:48 PM
USMC bivy, sleeping bag and thermarest. If it rains a lot add a tarp.

Carrollizer
09-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Tent, next to my hunting gang who are in their campers... I'm too cheap and my truck is the designated hunting truck.